Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colm Murray RIP

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Eileen Dunne was very choked up on the 9 o clock news. You'd feel for his colleagues in RTE at his sad passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

He was exactly what a newscaster should be. Always seemed passionate, genuine and most importantly engaging with his audience, unlike some other presenters who are almost robot-like in comparison.

Ar dheis dé go raibh an anam dílis.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

One of the good guys, travel safely Colm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Absolutely amazing comments. Colm is my uncle, and godfather and my mum is his sister who passed in May. Truly amazing people who I had the privilege to be so close to. I firmly believe mum was there to welcome a fully fit Colm at wherever we go to after this life. They deserve to be together, along with their mom and dad, and their little sister Patricia who passed when she was only 6.

Colm fought so hard in his battle, his words from the Inside MND truly inspired me, as well as countless others.

My greatest memory with him is Ireland vs Holland in 2001, we were behind the goal to the left with a wall in front of us, I only seen Steve Finnan cross the ball, before I heard the roars of joy. Oh boy me and Colm went wild :) Such a lovely memory for me to have.

Thanks to the people here for the nice comments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Nice one ^^^^^ :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Absolutely amazing comments. Colm is my uncle, and godfather and my mum is his sister who passed in May. Truly amazing people who I had the privilege to be so close to. I firmly believe mum was there to welcome a fully fit Colm at wherever we go to after this life. They deserve to be together, along with their mom and dad, and their little sister Patricia who passed when she was only 6.

Colm fought so hard in his battle, his words from the Inside MND truly inspired me, as well as countless others.

My greatest memory with him is Ireland vs Holland in 2001, we were behind the goal to the left with a wall in front of us, I only seen Steve Finnan cross the ball, before I heard the roars of joy. Oh boy me and Colm went wild :) Such a lovely memory for me to have.

Thanks for sharing that EdenHazard.

Sorry to hear about your Mum, I think I heard RTE News mention her earlier. It must be a tough time.

Colm was indeed an inspiration and the public's reaction to Inside MND and now his passing shows just how highly he was regarded. One of the good ones for sure.

Best wishes.

Thanks very much dude. Its tough for sure but as Colm said in the MND documentary you can stand up and be brave and play the cards you've been dealt or sink into a hole of your own self pity, there is really only one option that makes sense. We find strength(humanity in general) which we never imagined we could possibly have.
    Mum was sudden, she was in full health, unlike Colm, but when its your time its your time, I try to find beauty in this unwanted visitor(death). Colm(and my mum) were truly unique(well maybe not that unique because they were so so alike personality wise)
    My hope is that this is not the end, and one day I'll be in a place with them again. I know I for one can't wait to hear that voice of Colms again!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Oh, on hols at the minute and very sad to hear the news, a work colleague had this disease also and there are just no nice words or mince such a soul destroying life taking horror, there is an element of rest for all with this passing.
    RIP

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Oh, on hols at the minute and very sad to hear the news, a work colleague had this disease also and there are just no nice words or mince such a soul destroying life taking horror, there is an element of rest for all with this passing.
    RIP

I used to wonder and talk with my mum what a family would do who do not have the support network that Colm was lucky to have. I know that Colm would have thought of this as well, that's why he was so adamant to use his profile to raise awareness for the ''scourge''(using Colms own words) that is MN disease.
    My mum organised an event in Leopardstown last year for a fundraiser for MND research(One of her proudest moments) and I for one as a lasting legacy to Colm and my mum will do everything in my power to raise funds so that in the future nobody will have to experience what Colm had to endure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I used to wonder and talk with my mum what a family would do who do not have the support network that Colm was lucky to have. I know that Colm would have thought of this as well, that's why he was so adamant to use his profile to raise awareness for the ''scourge''(using Colms own words) that is MN disease.
    My mum organised an event in Leopardstown last year for a fundraiser for MND research(One of her proudest moments) and I for one as a lasting legacy to Colm and my mum will do everything in my power to raise funds so that in the future nobody will have to experience what Colm had to endure.
    Hopefully RTÉ will rebroadcast Colm's inspiring documentary in a few Weeks after this man gets the send off he deserves, you should ask them to include numbers and any revelent details so we could donate a few quid to help beat this disgusting disease ... Thats all in good time, my thoughts are with you and the rest of your family, may Colm RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

KKkitty wrote: »
    Eileen Dunne was very choked up on the 9 o clock news. You'd feel for his colleagues in RTE at his sad passing.

No she wasn't. You must be thinking of the six o clock newsreader.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mathsman53

A very good idea. R.I.P. Colm.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,084 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

I was sad to hear of Colm's untimely passing. He was always one of my favourite news presenters and he seemed a true gent. He will be a huge loss to RTE and to the sport of horseracing.

May he rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

It's a really nice thing to see probably for the first time on AH - not one offkey comment and I've not read anything bad about him at his passing anywhere else I frequent online.
    That makes me glad and is a true testament to Colm Murray's life and times. That's about as fine a tribute as anyone can have when their time comes.

I'll make sure to watch his documentary when RTE show it again - I've heard great things about it and to be honest, we all need a little inspiration now and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

lads anyone know where i can get the full documentary?its not on rte player and youtube only has half of it.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

crazygeryy wrote: »
    lads anyone know where i can get the full documentary?its not on rte player and youtube only has half of it.
    thanks

It's going to be on RTE1 tomorrow night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

It's going to be on RTE1 tomorrow night.

thankyou.i didnt know that.thought it had already been on again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Just watched the documentary again on RTE+1. Was in tears the first time it was broadcast, and even more so tonight. What a courageous and strong gentleman he was and what an attitude and approach he had to this awful, awful disease. Please God a cure will be found for this in the next few years, I hope so.
    May he RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Genuinely sorry to hear about both your mother and your uncle. That must have been so hard to deal with.

At least you have wonderful memories that will be with you forever. Be thankful for that.

Thanks for sharing your memories here as well.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Very sad, for a journalist that had a personality, a life, and a passion for what he does. RIP.

@EdenHazard Best wishes and sorry to hear about your Mum too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Some man.
    He was always great to watch on the telly.

The new breed don't compare at all

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Saw this in my suggested videos on youtube, brings a tear to the eye.

Advertisement