Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colm Murray RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

He was mr rte sport ...... rip colm a true gent and you showed great courage throughout your terrible illness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Watched a clip on youtube there from RTE news earlier, didn't expect it, but felt quite emotional wathing it and realising that we won't hear his distintive voice again.

Seemed like a really nice man.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Colm Murray remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

A gentleman with such a comforting voice and charming manner, ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

A true gent with a massive heart. RIP Colm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭luckyboy

Colm was one of the few Irish newscasters comfortable pronouncing French words. I really noticed that attribute of his when I was a teenager trying to learn French myself ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Great reporter, funny chap as well. Rest in peace. Thanks for posting the farewell vid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

While it's sad that Colm has died, it's also a release for him and his family. His suffering is over. Rest in peace :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Colm Murray remembered.

Watching that would bring a tear to your eye.

Very sad to see a man with such life succumb to that god awful disease.

Safe onward journey Colm, and deepest sympathies to your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

RIP Colm, a true gentleman and a fine fine broadcaster ... the way he faced his illness was truly inspirational. May he rest in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Very sad to hear. RIP.

Just watching Six One news now - Poor Sharon Ni Bheolain is struggling to maintain her composure delivering the news of his passing. She looks teary eyed now. Very moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I grew up with him on my telly - he seemed a very nice man. RIP, a release for the man.

PS Watching SixOne and Sharon Ni Bheolain appeared very upset (to me anyway) when reporting the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Poor Sharon Ni Bheolain almost broke down at the end of that report, he probably was a dear friend to most if not all at RTE News/Sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Met him many times at Listowel races down the years. A stand up gentleman and always made time for all he encountered. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Very very sad news. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I never had much interest in horse racing but would love listening to his voice on the news when I was younger.
    RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

god rest him, horrible way to go.
    hope they show the documentary again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭ericl

luckyboy wrote: »
    Colm was one of the few Irish newscasters comfortable pronouncing French words. I really noticed that attribute of his when I was a teenager trying to learn French myself ...

He taught french and english in Ballymun comprehensive in the late 1970s.

RIP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Met him nearly 11 years ago at Shelbourne park greyhound staduim, twas a quiet Monday night there and he was in a mad rush to put a bet on a greyhound before the race went off:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Even if you were not into sports, he was one of those RTE voices you grew up with (when you only had 2 channels) from their bulletins. Always seem committed to his work and how he conveyed it. Very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 daisydotty

A gentleman who I loved listening too for any sporting event. RIP Colm. Poor Sharon Ni Bheolain was really upset at the end of her report on the Six One. ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Out of the country since 09 so I've only followed snippets of his progress, but this is very sad. Fond memories of the sports news on Saturday and Sunday's, he'd kick off with "and first to racing" and you'd sit there thinking "ah Jesus colm get to the premier league results for the love of god".
    Will watch the doc now.
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

There is an interview Colm did with Séan O' Rourke starting at 10pm on RTE Radio 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

That interview is really great if anyone here hasn't heard it. I'd never realised he was so funny and interesting until then :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭omerin

RIP, always came across as decent and likeable character

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

It's funny in a way, I still feel that Colm Murray was one of the "blow-ins" to RTE- a latecomer or noobie, as it were. While I don't remember him when he first joined, I do remember him coming into prominence in the 1990 World Cup. So I've always thought of him ever since as a young guy. Which of course, he was, up until his untimely death.

RIP Colm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Lovely images of him on the news there, celebrating with fans at Italia 90, and trying his hand at golf...

"I cannot guarantee when i hit a ball, that it wont end up behind me!" :)

The defining image though is him with that warm jacket on, the horses trotting behind him, and speaking so passionately about the sport he dearly loved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

RikkFlair wrote: »
    The defining image though is him with that warm jacket on, the horses trotting behind him, and speaking so passionately about the sport he dearly loved.

533639_607067532648259_1838063643_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Jacksquat

RIP

Advertisement