Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

How to i change the DNS on a Sky broadband router?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

MJ434 wrote: »
    How to i change the DNS on a Sky broadband router?

Unfortunately you cant :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

degsie wrote: »
    Unfortunately you cant :(

Surely you can change the DNS roku box itself?

I dont have one so I cant say for sure, but if you can manually set the Ip address of the box just put in your own DNS settings

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eboarde

I dont have one so I cant say for sure, but if you can manually set the Ip address of the box just put in your own DNS settings

Unfortunately you can't

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

You can not change the DNS on the NowTV Box, in fact you can't even set a manual IP address. The system only allows you to join a network with DHCP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭dogtoffee

You can not change the DNS on the NowTV Box, in fact you can't even set a manual IP address. The system only allows you to join a network with DHCP.
    Can the DNS be changed on D1000

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eboarde

dogtoffee wrote: »
    Can the DNS be changed on D1000

I don't know as I don't have one but you can log on to the router and have a look.

Found this on another thread:

log on to the router (web interface : 192.168.1.254) - You may be asked for a password :
    Type : broadband1 (small letters)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭dogtoffee

eboarde wrote: »
    I don't know as I don't have one but you can log on to the router and have a look.

Found this on another thread:

log on to the router (web interface : 192.168.1.254) - You may be asked for a password :
    Type : broadband1 (small letters)
    Thanks for that but i can get in to the settings I just cant find the options to change it

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

Is there anyway of getting a web browser on the box? also is there any other apps other then plex for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    OP said that a Now TV account was free - but when I go to the site it seems to only offer a Sky free month of movies or a days Sports, no way to sign up and get a Now TV username without one of these.
    I don't trust Sky to accept my cancellation in time - bad memories - so is there any way to get a NowTV username without giving a credit card to Sky?

OK sorted. Seems I do have a username already - you had to create one when placing the purchase order for the box! If you have forgotten yours, just clck "forgotten username" at the nowTV web page signin and it will be immediately emailed to you. Ditto the password.

So now I have got through the box sign-on and can see the entire menu, without having signed up for any Sky offers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Are there any good Now TV offers at the moment, unfortunately missed out on the 6 months for £15 one and that seemed very good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

I have upc, its a cisco EPC2425 router.I managed to change some of the setting on it, I can view the iplayer etc on my laptop now,but still cant view it on the nowtv box.

Anyone know what else I can do to get it working on it. Strange it works on my laptop but not on the Nowtv box.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Can ya set the DNS manually on the now TV box like the wdtv?

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Can ya set the DNS manually on the now TV box like the wdtv?

Nope

That is weird!

You could do stupid things like introduce a second router, but that is awful messing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Right lads.

If ye've nothing better to do, explain to me in lay man's terms, why I should buy this?

Because its £10

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

There are loads of things I could buy for £10. Just wondering what this will offer me.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

just got the box, installed plex aswell, everything works perfect, smooth playback from Sky Movies Live channels aswell :) Really happy for this product :)

Soarer wrote: »
    There are loads of things I could buy for £10. Just wondering what this will offer me.

You can use it for its purpose - to watch Sky Now (a Netflix equivalent) on your tv. See the selection here.
    You can use it to watch movies that you have stored on your computer on your tv instead (basically saves you the laziness of attaching a hdmi cable). Or other types of files, e.g. music and pictures.
    You can use it to watch BBC iplayer stuff along with some English channels if you can change the DNS settings on your router.
    You can listen to internet radio on your tv via the Tunein app. Useful if the best speakers in your house are attached to your tv.
    You can install Plex plugins like Navi X to stream things from your America cousins. Also other plugins like Youtube, Dailymotion etc.
    There are also other apps you can install from the Roku store like Ted Talks, Vimeo, Vevo, Flixster etc.

It's just basically a more restricted Android dongle. Although I don't believe the Now TV android app works on any dongles as they're very annoying about that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

You can use it for its purpose - to watch Sky Now (a Netflix equivalent) on your tv. See the selection here.
    You can use it to watch BBC iplayer stuff along with some English channels if you can change the DNS settings on your router.

As mentioned earlier, I changed the settings on my router and they work on my laptop, desktop and phone but not on the Now TV box. What settings did you use?

I haven't done it myself as I'm using my Android phone as my router. :(

Soarer wrote: »

Soarer me old buddy, I've seen you around here lots, me and you are one in the same. If you are asking the question of why you should get one and its £10, you are already getting one.

I asked myself the same question, Thought I had plenty of things that can do whatever job this thing does, but a few days later I caved. A shiny new box for £10... it even comes with a HDMI cable!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Guys anymore promo codes ? Just got my box today

What ho, chaps - there's another secret menu!

Found this in a discussion about problems logging on to wifi:
    Update: After much wrangling the WiFi connectivity issue was eventually resolved by accessing the hidden menu (press home button 5 times followed by fast-forward, play, rewind, play and then fast-forward again) and selecting “disable network pings” in the options.

The menu is called " platform Secret Menu" and has Temperature (no idea why), IP and SSID info (yawn) and some wifi quality of service info.

It also has tick boxes for System Reboot, Disable network pings, and another screen called "Wifi secret screen"

This Wifi screen has wifi info plus tick boxes to run something called "iperf" and "iperf setup"

All this fun for a tenner!

There's an app buried deep in the Roku store on this box called PlayTo.

I can't use it as its Android-only, but it should be useful - apparently as well as streaming various web services, it can also discover and connect to media servers in your house ( it says DLNA and AirPlay certified). I don't know if the roku box and the media server get in direct contact with each other, or if it all has to go through the pad/phone.

My hunt continues for something that will allow my ipad to control this box, and maybe stream to it.

Btw: I find Plex way too slow - cant keep a continuous movie going on th Now box, and even on my PC its very jerky playing movies - VLC is smooth. Mind you that's Plex media server, not Plex Media Center.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    There's an app buried deep in the Roku store on this box called PlayTo.

Just installed this app on my android phone, works great. Can stream all my video files from my phone to the box. Much handier than plex imo. As stated above it is android only so it wouldn't be any use if your files are on different platforms.

Is it time this thread was moved or forked to another Boards forum? It's getting into techie areas rather than Bargain Alert.

I see there's a HTPC & Media Centre forum where strangely enough nobody seems aware of this little gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Just installed this app on my android phone, works great. Can stream all my video files from my phone to the box. Much handier than plex imo. As stated above it is android only so it wouldn't be any use if your files are on different platforms.
    Did you install the lite version or a full version? I'm trying the lite but it won't pick up the nowtv box, even after manually adding it. Keeps reverting to apple tv (wont work to that, either!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Ok lads getting one of these, slightly confused with the parcel motel bit, should i be putting my name as the house name and pmid as house number?

Advertisement