Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

Hi,

Is it possible to register an account without giving Sky your credit card details?

I choose the "Continue without account" option when buying? I'd like to avail of the free month but really don't want them to have my card.

Having said that I was still able to continue on past the login menu and and access the menus and Roku store, it was just the now TV part that didn't work.

I also put the box in dev mode and install plex although i have yet to install it on my phone or pc.

Also regarding the setup of DNS, followed instructions on Post 166, input the tunlr.net dns settings and rebooted but to no avail.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

JHet wrote: »
    Hi,

Is it possible to register an account without giving Sky your credit card details?

I choose the "Continue without account" option when buying? I'd like to avail of the free month but really don't want them to have my card.

Having said that I was still able to continue on past the login menu and and access the menus and Roku store, it was just the now TV part that didn't work.

I also put the box in dev mode and install plex although i have yet to install it on my phone or pc.

Also regarding the setup of DNS, followed instructions on Post 166, input the tunlr.net dns settings and rebooted but to no avail.

Any ideas?

When you bought the box you created a username & password - you can login with those bare details to activate your account and get the stations. (If required, retrieve the username and reset the password by email - through the My TV Sign In on the home page). But after a day or so my login fails to work because of the lack of payment details provided - but it remains functional in terms of adding (free) store stations, side loading and linking Plex and USTVNOW to Roku, so far. They explicitly state in the FAQ that lapsed subscriptions won't be kicked off the platform - so those who haven't availed of the month's trial or pending discount offers yet can hope for similar treatment.

Tunir.net on the router gives me PC access at least to iPlayer ... DRM is an obstacle so far to simply Plex streaming the download.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

I think from what I read , that the streaming from your laptop or computer is the real big one for me. I am a massive torrenter and download every show going rather than watch the TV for them. A media streamer for a tenner is also a fairly good deal Media999.
    Not sure if im going to bother paying Sky for anything when its all online anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

wonder is there any way to get this working on the now tv box some how? http://stream.nbcsports.com/liveextra/
    they have the rights to every premier league match

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

JAMM222 wrote: »
    wonder is there any way to get this working on the now tv box some how? http://stream.nbcsports.com/liveextra/
    they have the rights to every premier league match

You need an existing tv sub in America for the live content,it's a bit like Sky Go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Here's a list of the hidden screens.
    Use this info at your own risk!
    Apart from the sideload info (vital for Plex and who knows what else), the one to stop "pings" might be useful for some, and perhaps someday if Sky do something nasty in an update, one of the system resets might be of use.

This is from a U S site re Roku's but work ok for the NowTV box.

To access undocumented features of your Roku, enter the following key sequences on the remote. You should be at the home position before beginning with no errors on the screen

Secret Screen (System Info, Resets, USB Test, Logging)

Home x5
    Fast Forward x3
    Rewind x2

Platform Secret Screen (Temp, IP, SSID, WIFI Details)

(Per Roku Chat Support, Roku LT, Roku 2 XS, and Roku 3 all operate at 40-45 degree celsius)

Home Button x 5
    FF x 1
    Play x 1
    RW x 1
    Play x 1
    FF x 1

Access Roku Debug/Bandwith Cap Screen

Home Button x 5
    RW x 3
    FF x 2

Access Roku Developer Mode (“Side-Load” a Roku Channel)

Home Button x 3
    Up x 2
    Right x 1
    Left x 1
    Right x 1
    Left x 1
    Right x 1
    Note URL of Roku
    Select Enable Installer
    Accept Developer Agreement
    Open URL of Roku in Browser

For people with other Roku boxes here's the source:
    http://rokufordummies.wordpress.com/.../roku-secrets/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

This post has been deleted.

Ah i see. So it can be flashed with plex. Also built in wifi is a good addition.

That is good and cheap alright. Worth 15 quid anyway. Gonna order one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭fdevine

zerks wrote: »
    You need an existing tv sub in America for the live content,it's a bit like Sky Go.

Mentioned a few posts back and I subsequently included a link to the fixtures list

USTVNOW (mentioned by others in earlier posts) shows all US free to air channels (NBC, CBS etc.) It's designed to allow US ex-pats watch TV abroad. Works on the NowTV box. You need a subscription to view the NBCSN channel which is showing alot more matches but some will be freeview on NBC

App is free though, and if it's not geolocked or subscription based, it might be possible to stream to the NowTV box
    Won't work unless you're with one of the US telcos signed up to stream matches

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Dutchy

Just re the below - how does one find out their username and password? Have no recollection of setting one up and I only have it a few weeks!

eboarde wrote: »
    UPC Cisco modem password
    Default Settings

Login URL: http://192.168.1.1
    Username: <blank>
    Password: <blank>
    [Thanks Mister Gooey :D]

There is a tab at the top - "LAN Setup" and I changed LAN 1 Static DNS 1 , 2 and 3 without a problem and now it works fine. [Thanks dublin-texas :D]

Don't forget to reboot it

I didn't need the password below but have included it just in case

There is an “Advanced” tab which will ask for another Username & Password:
    Username: admin
    Password: W2402

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Have the BBC iPlayer working not problem on me own , changed the DNS settings on me Belkin router.

That NBC channel on USTVNOW is down as showing Swansea v Man Utd this Saturday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Have the BBC iPlayer working not problem on me own , changed the DNS settings on me Belkin router.

That NBC channel on USTVNOW is down as showing Swansea v Man Utd this Saturday evening.

What DNS address did you enter. Could you PM it to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Del007

How did you add ustvnow to it? It would be great if we could watch games on that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jim Division

What DNS settings did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Got mine yesterday, for the money it's worth it all right but I have the Roku RT too and that's worth the €41 I paid for it too!
    Using Unblock-US and have the american stuff on my RT and the UK stuff on the NowTV box.

The official Roku app won't work without the device being registered but I didn't see a handy way of doing that. Non official apps work fine though, I was testing it with the 'Roku Wi-Fi Remote' app and had no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eboarde

Dutchy wrote: »
    Just re the below - how does one find out their username and password? Have no recollection of setting one up and I only have it a few weeks!

The router does not have a username or password so just leave them blank.

I am using DNS settings from UnBlock Us website. Monthly sub costs approx €3.80 give or take a few cents with exchange rate. This is my 1st month using this service so far so good.

Some of the free DNS websites weren't so reliable so for €3.80 a month I will see how this service works out.

Be interesting to see now come Saturday, if they do show the match on the USTVNOW app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Isn't the us tv now app time limited to 28 days on this thing? Thought after that it was only free watching via computer.

45 days

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

What is the quality like of ustvnow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

45 days

Any way to get around the 45 day limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Xenji wrote: »
    What is the quality like of ustvnow?

This is based on my observations on my own broadband UPC 150 and to my understanding the client checks for the best possible resolution.

Most stations have great HD like quality beside CW which is horrible and extra loud.

After 45 days the account is downgraded to allow only watching on the computer in low resolution.

I thought of upgrading to the DVR option but unfortunately the resolution of the recordings is SD only so no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Lads,

How long does it take to get to to ya's? (Post to parcel motel to your hands), Ordered mine there so looking forward to getting at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eboarde

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Lads,

How long does it take to get to to ya's? (Post to parcel motel to your hands), Ordered mine there so looking forward to getting at it.

A week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

There is a new code and it works fine Ive just updated my subscription on it. 6 months for £1 a month

742TBWKRD5

i posted on the wrong tread

aidankkk wrote: »
    There is a new code and it works fine Ive just updated my subscription on it. 6 months for £1 a month

742TBWKRD5

Is this code for watching through your PS3? Or any device?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

aidankkk wrote: »

742TBWKRD5

I just get:

The voucher code provided is not valid please re-enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

stimpson wrote: »
    I just get:

The voucher code provided is not valid please re-enter.

likewise :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭long_b

likewise :confused:

Same as

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

its just for renewals according to the thread on HUKD, not for new subs!

Advertisement