Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

ablelocks wrote: »
    currys/pcworld have this at €24 too..

am i correct in assuming that it needs really good broadband service to work ?

My line has a max speed of 3mb in rural Ireland. As I speak both of my kids are watching now tv in two separate rooms in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Occono wrote: »
    Yes. The service as a whole is a ripoff though.

Also ignore the iPlayer mention in Argos's description.

I couldn't disagree with you more to be honest. It's a fantastic service in my opinion. Great value for money. Never have I experienced this buginess that you've mentioned. It's pretty much how we watch all our tv now. Although we do have Netflix as well.

I do have a UK account though. Picked up a lifetime sub with getflix a while back for about €30... This gives me all the BBC, itv, c4, c5 players as well.

It's highly likely that the Irish offering is a total rip off like most things here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

Just wondering, are all broadcasts coming from the same source regardless of whether you are an Irish or UK customer (obviously this question is in respect of UK channels, rather than Irish channels where applicable) ?

My reason for asking is that I am wondering if Irish and UK residents are getting an equally good service / signal strength etc.

Many thanks.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

lawred2 wrote: »
    I couldn't disagree with you more to be honest. It's a fantastic service in my opinion. Great value for money. Never have I experienced this buginess that you've mentioned. It's pretty much how we watch all our tv now. Although we do have Netflix as well.

I do have a UK account though. Picked up a lifetime sub with getflix a while back for about €30... This gives me all the BBC, itv, c4, c5 players as well.

It's highly likely that the Irish offering is a total rip off like most things here.

....So you couldn't disagree with me more and it's a fantastic service, except that you're talking about a different service altogether? >_>

Most people aren't going to be using VPNs, I'm talking about the Irish service that was on sale in Argos that I was replying to, obviously. So I'm not sure what your point is.
    garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering, are all broadcasts coming from the same source regardless of whether you are an Irish or UK customer (obviously this question is in respect of UK channels, rather than Irish channels where applicable) ?

My reason for asking is that I am wondering if Irish and UK residents are getting an equally good service / signal strength etc.

Many thanks.

There's no Chromecast support even though there is in the UK, so I wouldn't be surprised. There's seperate Irish versions of the iPhone/Android apps.

Occono wrote: »
    ....So you couldn't disagree with me more and it's a fantastic service, except that you're talking about a different service altogether? >_>

Most people aren't going to be using VPNs, I'm talking about the Irish service that was on sale in Argos that I was replying to, obviously. So I'm not sure what your point is.

You complained of buggyness. Are you claiming that this exists solely with the Irish offering?

It's a variation of the same service. To claim it as a different service altogether is seriously stretching.

The drawbacks you listed would be universal (720p, Dolby surround etc, some issue with WiFi extenders) whether you had an Irish or UK account. So other than being rude I'm not sure what your point is.

• Advertisement

garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

Many thanks.

Signal strength doesn't apply here. It's IPTV made up of mostly on demand content. There are a handful of live TV channels but outside of the premium live sport you won't find yourself watching them too often.

If you are expecting an IP version of a sky satellite TV service then this isn't it. This is closer to Netflix for sky content than it is a satellite TV service.

In the main the Sky content is the same for Ireland as the UK however you do lose the BBC, ITV, C4, C5 catch-up players with the Irish version which is a drawback. .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It actually is a different service.

JDxtra wrote: »
    It actually is a different service.

In what sense do you mean?

Content wise? Or technologically wise?

The backend source files are likely the same, but the mobile apps and firmware on the boxes are different. They are not compatible with each other. Look at the ratings for the Now TV Ireland app on the Google Play Store.

Less channels on the Irish version, plus no Kids pack as well. No reason to exclude that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

You complained of buggyness. Are you claiming that this exists solely with the Irish offering?

Some of it yes. Episodes were missing for me, support said they couldn't see an issue until I asked if it was just with the Irish version.
    It's a variation of the same service. To claim it as a different service altogether is seriously stretching.

It's up to twice as expensive, it lacks Chromecast support, it doesn't have the kids pack, it doesn't have all the same supported services like iPlayer on the Now box, the Android and iOS versions of the apps are seperate from the UK versions of the apps. It's as segregated as they can make it so they can treat it differently.
    The drawbacks you listed would be universal (720p, Dolby surround etc, some issue with WiFi extenders) whether you had an Irish or UK account. So other than being rude I'm not sure what your point is.

Maybe but my main point was it's a ripoff and a bad service in general (720p, no subtitles, adequate bitrate) so to pay even more for it isn't worth it.

I was rude because your comment was so strange to me, you strongly said it was great value, but then said you were only talking about the UK service when I was talking about the Irish one. :/ Whatever.

• Advertisement

JDxtra wrote: »
    The backend source files are likely the same, but the mobile apps and firmware on the boxes are different. They are not compatible with each other. Look at the ratings for the Now TV Ireland app on the Google Play Store.

Less channels on the Irish version, plus no Kids pack as well. No reason to exclude that.

I truly didn't know that was excluded. That's ridiculous. We'd be lost without those.

Fair enough not being satisfied with such a reduced content set.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

I have an LG tv and the now tv app has been on it for awhile but I can never get passed the sign up screen. I did a complete reset of the tv tonight thinking that might help but no I still can’t get past this screen. It says where to go to sign up and has a close button but the button doesn’t work. Anyone have any problems like this with the tv app?

App is probably for the UK version of Now TV instead of the Irish version. Don't have an LG to confirm, but this could be a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

DarkBlonde wrote: »
    I have an LG tv and the now tv app has been on it for awhile but I can never get passed the sign up screen. I did a complete reset of the tv tonight thinking that might help but no I still can’t get past this screen. It says where to go to sign up and has a close button but the button doesn’t work. Anyone have any problems like this with the tv app?

I had problems signing in with webOS. I had a UK NowTV account that hadn’t been used in a while but it kept giving errors on the tv app. I signed in on the Irish website instead and it was like I had to setup the account again. Once I’d done that I could log in on the LG app. Don’t know if it was because the Telly was setup as Ireland and the account from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

Is it still possible to sideload applications to the NowTV boxes? If so can anyone help with a guide or if inappropriate to post such content PM me please?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

Is it still possible to sideload applications to the NowTV boxes? If so can anyone help with a guide or if inappropriate to post such content PM me please?

NowTv boxes are locked down now sadly, no more sideloading possible, best option is to to a nice Roku Box. Its what the Now Tv boxes are based on but fully open to sideloading and has a much better selection of apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭postsnthing

Now TV UK version - codes from hotdealsuk

AANOWCOXILD5 - enter for 1 month free entertainment.

AANOWAOD3RCW - code for one month free movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

the Entertainment pass worked no bother, but the movie one throws up an error. It's a valid pass, just when you try to enter it, it won't accept

EDIT - ah, as per the site "You can stack these but you will have to add one a day later as you need to have less than 30 days remaining on any existing pass."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Do you need to set up a seperate UK account for these ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Do you need to set up a seperate UK account for these ?

Yes. Just applied them to my UK account fine but don't work on the missus' Irish account. Guessing it's the same restrictions as the other bargain alert I posted about the Sky Sports Day Pass for 99p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

not working for my account..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Seems to be expired now as per HUKD. Good spot though, thanks for posting it.

Corholio wrote: »
    Seems to be expired now as per HUKD. Good spot though, thanks for posting it.

Dont suppose theres any more of those doing the rounds, completely missed out on those ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭boccy23

Am looking at upgrading to Eir Fibre. I use SmartDNSProxy to access Now TV UK at the moment. Will I still be able to do this if I upgrade?

boccy23 wrote: »
    Am looking at upgrading to Eir Fibre. I use SmartDNSProxy to access Now TV UK at the moment. Will I still be able to do this if I upgrade?

Ill pm you

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

rogercross wrote: »
    Ill pm you

Id like to know the answer to this also, as thinking of moving to Eir too....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Id like to know the answer to this also, as thinking of moving to Eir too....

Yes, smart dns proxies work fine on eir fibre. You can even buy a static IP from eir for 50 Euro to make life easier.

Anybody got a certain buyer they get their UK passes off? I got an 3 month Entertainment Pass and a 1 month Movie pass the other day, I applied the Entertainment Pass and it added to the account fine but the Movie pass didn't work. The seller said it wasn't a promo code either. If it was a promo it may have been one I had used before and couldn't use again, it's getting harder to tell though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Corholio wrote: »
    Anybody got a certain buyer they get their UK passes off? I got an 3 month Entertainment Pass and a 1 month Movie pass the other day, I applied the Entertainment Pass and it added to the account fine but the Movie pass didn't work. The seller said it wasn't a promo code either. If it was a promo it may have been one I had used before and couldn't use again, it's getting harder to tell though.

I recently had problems applying a movie pass, only days after applying one for entertainment. However, I got Mrs Bloggs to log in while over in the UK and hey presto it worked.

• Advertisement

I recently had problems applying a movie pass, only days after applying one for entertainment. However, I got Mrs Bloggs to log in while over in the UK and hey presto it worked.

Funnily enough I tried to also apply a 50% off deal that I saw on HUKD and when I got through to applying it said it could 'only be used on UK accounts'. Not sure why it works for entertainment pass and not for the movies one. I'm wondering if it's because some passes already link to what the concurring payment will be straight away and some don't possibly, and they detect an Irish card when they do.

Advertisement