Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything Pink Floyd.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It's like a band that learned guitar by playing lots of pink floyd. It's reminiscent of older better material in places but that's kinda the only value you get from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭rednik

David made a surprise appearance with Bombay Bicycle Club at the very last show to be held in Earl's Court on Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

Anyone know his involvement with this band?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Bombay Bicycle Club wiki page
    During the concert, band member Jamie MacColl introduced a special guest, saying; "This man gave me my first guitar and was one of the first people to play this venue and by my count has played here more than 27 times."
    This was Pink Floyd member David Gilmour, who then played with the band on their song "Rinse Me Down" before a performance of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I didn't notice that Bombay Bicycle Club got big enough to play Earl's Court!

• Advertisement

For anyone who may not have heard. ..

PinkFloyd.com
    GRAMMY NOMINATION FOR 'THE DIVISION BELL"
    The Division Bell has been nominated in the upcoming Grammy Awards for 'Best Surround Sound Album'. The award winners will be announced in a ceremony to be held on Sunday 8th February 2015. The surround mix is available in the 20th anniversary box set of the album, released earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭RayCon

K.Flyer wrote: »
    So in saying that, I ask the question, what were you expecting?

I expected them not to release such unfinished, patchy ideas as an official stand-alone Pink Floyd album.

It's a bonus disc of outtakes at best and should have been included in one of the many remastered box sets.

I see it as nothing more than a cash-in. I hate everything about it , right down to the substandard artwork (which looks like the cover of a meditation cd you'd find in petrol stations !)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

RayCon wrote: »
    I expected them not to release such unfinished, patchy ideas as an official stand-alone Pink Floyd album.

It's a bonus disc of outtakes at best and should have been included in one of the many remastered box sets.

I see it as nothing more than a cash-in. I hate everything about it , right down to the substandard artwork (which looks like the cover of a meditation cd you'd find in petrol stations !)

all the previous advertising and talk about the album clearly said this was an album of outtakes from 20 years ago, namely the division bell..... so why are you surprised thats its exactly what they said it would be?

personally ive always though the best tracks from the division bell were the instrumentals, so im very happy with this album. Definitely a headphone or driving album....

why do you say its patchy and unfinished? because theres no lyrics?
    The songs seem to me to me worked to the n'th degree (4 different producers is an indication of the efforts put into it).

I wouldn't have called it patchy or unfinished either. As I have said before, considering what it actually is, I think it works and works well.
    In time I will most likely listen and enjoy it more than one or two of their previous releases.

Its better than Ummagumma (studio disc) anyway.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Umma can be hard going at times. I clearly remember all those years ago my parents pleading with me to use headphones if I wanted to listen to it.

yeah not one of my favs (the live disk is brilliant though)

but still have to say that it gets probably 10 times more listening in my house than 'momentary lapse of reason'..... god thats dire...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

sydthebeat wrote: »
    yeah not one of my favs (the live disk is brilliant though)

but still have to say that it gets probably 10 times more listening in my house than 'momentary lapse of reason'..... god thats dire...

Momentary Lapse and The FInal Cut are both dire, in my view. Division Bell isnt much better. I enjoyed the new one because I've always liked instrumental ambient music. I've seen alot of negativity towards it but I dont really know what people were expecting. They made it clear what they were releasing from the very start. People seemed to be expecting another Dark Side of the Moon when it came out.

As I've gotten older I've begun to enjoy Momentary Lapse Of Reason a lot more... Learn To Fly, Sorrow, One Slip, On The Turning Away are all good songs and those alone are enough for me to like the album.

Division Bell is proving to have aged very well indeed; it is far better than most people think and certainly more enjoyable than the Final Cut and even sections of the Wall ("Vera", anyone?). And its a lot better than Momentary Lapse. Poles Apart is one of my favourite late-era Floyd tracks.

I see Endless River as just a nice little album to have by Pink Floyd... no great shakes... but then again neither are More or Obscured By Clouds and I love those albums for what they are.

I'm a big Floyd head but unfathomably didn't get around to listening to The Final Cut until around 5 years ago. This was possibly a good thing for me....

People will disagree but for me it is amazing; the Gunners Dream is one of the finest songs ever written IMO.

Did the haters listen to it at time of release and expect something similar to The Wall?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

You probably all know it but I just came across the Dark Side of the Moon in the Billboard 200 chart for the 891st week!

(That's over 17 years!)

Next longest currently in the chart for a full 10 years less time is Bob Marley's Greatest Hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You probably all know it but I just came across the Dark Side of the Moon in the Billboard 200 chart for the 891st week!

(That's over 17 years!)

Next longest currently in the chart for a full 10 years less time is Bob Marley's Greatest Hits.
    People used to quote the fact that it had never slipped from the top 100. Fair play and all that, but charts are kinda meaningless. At some point in the future we'll all be marveling that DSOTM has spent X thousands of weeks in the Billboard 5000 charts. Quite an achievement, but the goalposts are ambulatory.

I helped that chart along, I'm sure. I've owned at least 7 copies of the album, on various formats. Including a 5.1 surround mix that's never been played. I don't have a receiver! I bought it thinking I'd be bothered getting one some day, but I haven't yet...

endacl wrote: »
    People used to quote the fact that it had never slipped from the top 100. Fair play and all that, but charts are kinda meaningless. At some point in the future we'll all be marveling that DSOTM has spent X thousands of weeks in the Billboard 5000 charts. Quite an achievement, but the goalposts are ambulatory.

I think the unique thing about DSOTM is that it spent so many consecutive weeks (741) in the Billboard Top 200 before dropping out. Sure it will go in and out again, but I don't think any album stayed that long on the 200 after release.

And the charts are important to the people in them ;)

Anyone got any stats to indicate that it may end up outselling all other albums in the long run? Surely it must be looking that way at this stage?

Chelon wrote: »
    Anyone got any stats to indicate that it may end up outselling all other albums in the long run? Surely it must be looking that way at this stage?

Not if you take Thriller into consideration.

• Advertisement

Not if you take Thriller into consideration.

Really? Thought that would be running its' course by now.

Really? Thought that would be running its' course by now.

"After Jackson's death in June 2009, Thriller set additional records. It sold more than 100,000 copies, placing it at number two on the Top Pop Catalog Albums chart. Songs from Thriller also helped Jackson become the first artist to sell more than one million song downloads in a week. According to Nielsen Soundscan, Thriller was the 14th best selling album of 2009 in the United States with 1.27 million copies sold." (Wikipedia)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

PULSE is such an amazing Live Album, it's my goto Album every time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

syngindub wrote: »
    PULSE is such an amazing Live Album, it's my goto Album every time.

PULSE is the absolute bee knees. It is also Gilmour's best Comfortably Numb solo by a long long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Got my tickets to see the Aussie Floyd in February, I can't wait!

Got my tickets to see the Aussie Floyd in February, I can't wait!

I've seen them a good few times, they do a great show.
    Where are they playing this time?

The Olympia. They are fantastic but for me the Olympia is just too small for such a spectacular gig. Even the Bord Gais was a bit small for Brit Floyd. The Point now that's a different story...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

The Olympia. They are fantastic but for me the Olympia is just too small for such a spectacular gig. Even the Bord Gais was a bit small for Brit Floyd. The Point now that's a different story...

I saw them in the 02 once before too. It was something to behold alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭rednik

Picture of Jools Holland in the studio working with David on the new album.

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/

• Advertisement

rednik wrote: »
    Picture of Jools Holland in the studio working with David on the new album.

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/

Note: That's on David's new album, not the last Pink Floyd one.

Advertisement