Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Everything Pink Floyd.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I'm still not sure what to make of it. There are some lovely passages on it, nods to the past and a nice insight into just what Rick added to Pink Floyd's sound. I didn't come to this with great expectations so I'm not disappointed but I can't help but wish there was more. Still, I don't feel the same disappointed empty feeling I did when I heard On An Island

I found On An Island to be quite bland myself. Hoping that Gilmour's next solo album has a bit more bite to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I've given Endless River a number of proper listens now, in order to form a decent opinion of it. And I like it, its a pretty cool little record.

It touches on a lot of aspects of earlier Pink Floyd - Skins is very Ummagumma, Its What We Do could be Shine On You Crazy Diamond. On Noodle Street I quite like; it reminds me of the funky parts of Echoes or Atom Heart Mother - not quite as funky though!

I love Anisina. Something about those chords changes are very restful, comforting. I was surprised to read the liner notes to see that it was written and played by Gilmour - it sounds like a very Rick Wright piece.

Talkin Hawkin I like the music of, but I fail to see the point of using his sample again. We had that on Keep Talking so why repeat it?

Louder Than Words is a disappointment though. Its not a very good song; it sounds a bit awkward. They'd probably have been better off leaving it instrumental. Btw is that Syd's voice at the very end? We've got the other four so why not?

I've also been listening to the Division Bell a lot of the last few months. Its actually a really strong album, far stronger than people give it credit for. Cluster One could fit on Endless River, and Poles Apart is one of the best post-Waters songs. OK, there are some duffers - A Great Day For Freedom isn't a great day for music ;) and Keep Talking is a bit weak as well. But I just LOVE Coming Back To Life now for some reason - the melody is beautiful. Lost For Words is a very strong track, and of course High Hopes - the best post-Waters track in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

We are No.1

RTE Website
    Prog power beats the might of Foo Fighters and eh, Cheryl - Pink Floyd have floated to No 1 in the Irish album charts with their new album of unreleased material from 1994, The Endless River.

And we are straight in at No 1 in the U.K. knocking Ed Sheeran from the top spot and beating the Foo Fighters at No. 2.

BBC Radio 1 Album Charts

When you beat One Direction as Amazon's most pre-ordered album, you're going to get to number one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

As I posted elsewhere :

I finally gave Endless River album a spin. Have to admit - it was hard work. It's like an intro, leading to another intro, leading to another intro - it goes absolutely nowhere. I know they said it was from out-takes etc ... but it's still exactly that - just out-takes. To release this as an official stand alone Floyd album is an embarrassment to their back catalogue and the fact it's meant to be an epitaph to Richard Wright is bloody insulting.

It's a bonus disc tagged onto yet another remastered box set at best.

Track 7 got on my tits the most. It sounds like the music to a Sunday evening BBC drama about a rural vet , starring Martin bleedin Clunes and his ears. ****in awful ... I dare you to listen to it and not imagine slo mo footage of Clunes in a green Vet jacket , jauntily walking across a field, climbing over a fence , getting into an old land rover , then pulling a calf out of a cows fanny. That's as close as this gets to Animals.

Absolute, boring, floor cuttings.

edit - oops, Division Bell was their last number 1 album (I thought it was Final Cut).

Its a bit mad that the likes of Dark Side Of The Moon, The Wall, Animals etc weren't number 1 albums.

The first Floyd album of original material since "The Final Cut" in 1983 to reach number 1 in the UK charts.

Its a bit mad that the likes of Dark Side Of The Moon, The Wall, Animals etc weren't number 1 albums.

The Division Bell
    Charted no1 in ten countries incl the UK.
    Animals and The Wall
    were No. 1 several countries.
    Wish You Were Here
    hit No. 1 in the U.K.
    Dark Side
    was No.1 in the U.S., New Zealand and Canada and hit No.2 in the U.K.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    The Division Bell
    Charted no1 in ten countries incl the UK.
    Animals and The Wall
    were No. 1 several countries.
    Wish You Were Here
    hit No. 1 in the U.K.
    Dark Side
    was No.1 in the U.S., New Zealand and Canada and hit No.2 in the U.K.

None of that contradicts what I said, that Dark Side, Animals, and The Wall weren't number 1 albums (in the UK).

But fair enough about Division Bell being number 1.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

finally arrived today. Double disc vinyl. Where are the vocals?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,944 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You serious? ?

The more I listen to it the more I am enjoying it.
    Today was through headphones while working and I really am digging the music.
    Yes you can pick out bits that will remind you of tracks from previous albums, but there is also some really nice original stuff as well as the soundscapes.
    One thing I am grateful for is that Dave didn't swamp it with guitar. Even Nicks drumming comes to the fore as well, which brings a bit of balance and helps to put the P.F. stamp on things.
    But its Rick's pieces that are more prominent than usual, but we expected that and the album could sit comfortably amongst Ricks solo work.
    Anyone else notice the nautical themes amoung the photographs? a nice touch as its a nod to Rick's passion of sailing.
    Overall, for me anyway, its a bitter sweet moment, for years, well actually 20 years, wondering and wishing if they would do one more, and they have, and I really, really like it and I'm not disappointed. The sad part is that most likely this is definitely the last original studio album under the Pink Floyd banner. But I am still hoping that some day they may release some of the archived live recordings, I do know that it was being considered and that certain people were approached so fingers crossed.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    You serious? ?

:D

I've been taking in the album artwork actually. I quite like the sleeve and the booklet. My life won't be complete until I pick up a decent copy of meddle on vinyl though. I think I'm the only person that doesn't hate the cover.

No you're not the only one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

:D

I've been taking in the album artwork actually. I quite like the sleeve and the booklet. My life won't be complete until I pick up a decent copy of meddle on vinyl though. I think I'm the only person that doesn't hate the cover.

Make me an offer :) Only kidding I'd never part with it.

Still remember staring at the cover for ages with mates before we finally, delightedly worked out what it was...

Anyone going to Brit Floyd next week? I see there's still good seats available, so not sure how it's selling. It's a lovely venue, so this may be worth taking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Chelon wrote: »
    Anyone going to Brit Floyd next week? I see there's still good seats available, so not sure how it's selling. It's a lovely venue, so this may be worth taking in.

Always a good show

Always a good show

Master of the understatement :p

I FOUND THEM!!!

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/jaden-smith-pink-floyd/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If you've nothing constructive to add!

:mad:

I just got a little sick in my mouth...

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

Sacrilege, boo, hiss!!

I should probably ban myself from this forum.

I sincerely hope that NOBODY related to Pink Floyd gave him permission to use the track and he gets sued to kingdom come for that horrendous crap.
    Even putting the track aside, he couldn't rap to save his life, absolute cack.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

K.Flyer wrote: »
    I sincerely hope that NOBODY related to Pink Floyd gave him permission to use the track and he gets sued to kingdom come for that horrendous crap.
    Even putting the track aside, he couldn't rap to save his life, absolute cack.

B-b-b-but he's really clever and deep a spiritual and stuff!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93089912

endacl wrote: »
    B-b-b-but he's really clever and deep a spiritual and stuff!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93089912

This bit made me laugh out loud. ..
    this is what happens to some extremely wealthy kids when they are born without needing to achieve anything. They disappear up their own bmholes in search of prana energy.

Next comes the hard drug addiction and implosion.

New album is not that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

That's a massive understatement

Anyone else do Brit Floyd last night? Thought they were musically excellent as usual but the Grand Canal theatre, as fine as it is, is still too small for a show on this scale. It's a shame they're not selling enough tickets (I presume) to play the Point again.

RayCon wrote: »

While I wouldn't give it 10 / 10, I do still really like it.
    In all honesty when I heard it was going to be a series of out-takes spliced together I did have my reservations and didn't expect great things except for it being never before heard material. But I am not disappointed by it, if anything, when you consider what it really is, I feel it works and its a job well done.
    So in saying that, I ask the question, what were you expecting?

• Advertisement

RayCon wrote: »

While I wouldn't give it 10 / 10, I do still really like it.
    In all honesty when I heard it was going to be a series of out-takes spliced together I did have my reservations and didn't expect great things except for it being never before heard material. But I am not disappointed by it, if anything, when you consider what it really is, I feel it works and its a job well done.
    So in saying that, I ask the question, what were you expecting?

Advertisement