Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v England Sept 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Bopara and Morgan are the class of a 2nd string England and we haven't even remotely troubled them. We should probably be glad they didn't bring a full squad. 54 needed from 11 overs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Two Irish men being the main reason England are beating Ireland isn't depressing?!

Or maybe England play Anderson, Broad, Pietersen, Swann, Cook, Trott, Bell et al instead?? It's frustrating yes, but we could be facing a lot worse than Rankin/Morgan

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Tox56 wrote: »
    Or maybe England play Anderson, Broad, Pietersen, Swann, Cook, Trott, Bell et al instead?? It's frustrating yes, but we could be facing a lot worse than Rankin/Morgan

Funnily enough we actually beat the full team back in Bangalore

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Bopara and Morgan are the class of a 2nd string England and we haven't even remotely troubled them. We should probably be glad they didn't bring a full squad. 54 needed from 11 overs.

This is the real worry, not even a half chance in 180 runs to two fairly average guys, and at this stage they've just been slogging us about for the last few overs, probably hoping they can get an even earlier flight home :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Funnily enough we actually beat the full team back in Bangalore

?

Do you disagree with my post?

• Advertisement

?

Do you disagree with my post?

Yeah I'd much rather have us playing the full team, we stand as much of a chance of beating them than the B teams England keep sending over for these one off games, where we have now lost 4 in a row, and you can bet the ECB will just send another B team in 2015 too now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Ah jaysis, dropped :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭decies

Very disappointing to be honest , and a wake up call to Irish cricket . We really need to find some bowlers and fast . Irish cricket has come very far in a short time but still a long road ahead to get that plan for a test team a reality . Aussies beat Scotland by 200 runs !!!

Well done Bopara

Well at least the ECB wont be too interested in Dockrell after this

Well done Bopara too, not to get too carried away with Morgan bashing, I hope he can keep going against the Aussies

• Advertisement

...and well done England.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Well that ended in a damp squib. Great partnership from Bopara and Morgan. The 2 quality players stood out

Yeah Eoin great job, you did Irish cricket a great favour today :rolleyes:

Tredwell bowled really for England too, 35-2 off of his 10 overs compared to the poor showing by Stirling and Dockrell, 36 off 5 overs and 73 off 10 overs respectively

Yeah Eoin great job, you did Irish cricket a great favour today :rolleyes:

Jesus christ, get over it - what was he supposed to do? bat to score no runs?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Ground looked fantastic the few minutes I caught. Excellent, international class venue.

Think Morgan was on a bit of a hiding to nothing, damned if he smacked it around the park, damned if he didn't.

England looked to be in control after the early wobble. Still think David Willey should have been in the team though!

Jesus christ, get over it - what was he supposed to do? bat to score no runs?:rolleyes:

He shouldn't be there in the first place. If he wants to play tests for England, great, let him, but why is he playing ODIs for England? If he gets to play tests for England it will be based on his 4 day county game. Yes he is subject to the 4 year rule now but Morgan has never come out against that rule, and if he wants to say what he does is great for Irish cricket then people can complain about him.

Every game we play now has a big effect on the future of Irish cricket and losing to an England B+ team due in a large part to the performances of two former Irish players does not help us in anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭wicorthered

I'd much prefer a stronger English team over. It would help promote the game here. It'd be very exciting for an an Irish crowd to see KP live in action.

That doesn't take away from the fact that as an Irish cricket fan I feel depressed our best players play for England. Prior to the game Morgan spoke about Stirling being next. We have the talent in the country to progress, just not the structure. With our best players leaving all the time it's hard to put the structure in place. So it a vicious circle!

I have no animosity for Morgan, Rankin etc. They're professionals who want to reach the top of their sports, who can blame them. I'd imagine they'd prefer to do it for Ireland but we're unable to offer them the chance!

All that said, Irish cricket is on the up. Inter-pros were fantastic, both full members that visited got an almighty fright we qualified for another world cup and todays game again highlighted the increasing popularity of the game here.

What were the attendances like at the Inter-pros Wicorthered out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭decies

He shouldn't be there in the first place. If he wants to play tests for England, great, let him, but why is he playing ODIs for England? If he gets to play tests for England it will be based on his 4 day county game. Yes he is subject to the 4 year rule now but Morgan has never come out against that rule, and if he wants to say what he does is great for Irish cricket then people can complain about him.

Every game we play now has a big effect on the future of Irish cricket and losing to an England B+ team due in a large part to the performances of two former Irish players does not help us in anyway

I agree losing this game wont do us any favours , not withstanding our bowling attack this is a game we really should be winning we have gone way past the moral victories in irish sport.Well done on the irish cricket union finding a lovely venue and attracting a big crowd,onwards and upwards. Now its back supporting my second favourite team the aussies in the ODI,s and the ashes in the winter.Good luck to ireland in their remaining fixtures this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭wicorthered

What were the attendances like at the Inter-pros Wicorthered out of interest?

I wouldn't be to sure, from what I read the attendances weren't great. I went to one day of a three day game and the attendance wasn't great, less than 100 people. The cricket played was very good though. Some potential new internationals such as Richardson and Dougherty impressed!

• Advertisement

decies wrote: »
    I agree losing this game wont do us any favours , not withstanding our bowling attack this is a game we really should be winning we have gone way past the moral victories in irish sport.Well done on the irish cricket union finding a lovely venue and attracting a big crowd,onwards and upwards. Now its back supporting my second favourite team the aussies in the ODI,s and the ashes in the winter.

Indeed and I think the Irish cricket team itself has really moved beyond moral victories for a few years now and I think every supporter of Irish cricket owes it to them to treat them so. We played 3 ODIs against full members this year and we got into a great position in everyone of them but came away with nothing in the end, winning at least one of them would have raised the profile of cricket both at home and internationally a huge amount.

The inter-pros have been set up, the ground looked really fantastic today and the guys off the pitch are doing a fantastic job and public interest is high. But if we continue to only play a few games a year and our best players and constantly drained away then it wont last for ever, Ireland has a great opportunity here and I hope it doesnt fade away.

I wouldn't be to sure, from what I read the attendances weren't great. I went to one day of a three day game and the attendance wasn't great, less than 100 people. The cricket played was very good though. Some potential new internationals such as Richardson and Dougherty impressed!

It's actually higher than what I would have guessed and sure 4 day cricket in England doesn't really bring them in either. It sounds like its serving its purpose though, I wonder if they would give anymore thought to including a Dutch and Scottish team? Try to make it like the Magners league, maybe play a 20-20 on the 4th day or something. Deutrom seems to be doing an excellent job anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 16,356 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Atherton's interview afterwards...'so we'll see you again in a few years time'. They need to be playing ODIs against test nations a lot more frequently than this.
    Do they have to pay these nations to come over or how does that side of things work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

I thought it was a good match. The result wasn't unexpected. Ireland in no way embarrassed themselves and once again showed they're a cut above the other associates (contrast with Scotland today). Plenty of boundaries to keep the crowds entertained, perfect weather, etc

Once they get that outfield sorted (I assume it's a problem with tree roots?) and the pavilion built it will be a decent ground that should be able to attract more big matches.

Only disappointing thing was the booing of Rankin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Is there not a large degree of pointlessness in Ireland competing in international Cricket when England can just snap up their best players as they choose.How in the name of God are the team ever likely to improve and how is the game going to get much credibility in Ireland when people see the country's best players line out for England.Surely if anything the smaller countries like Ireland should be allowed to benefit more from having foreigners play for them and not the established nations like England.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,860 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It is utterly pointless and ridiculous of course. Discriminating between test and short form games regarding selection and nationality is daft. At the very least the rugby union protocol should apply - once you qualify and represent a nation other than your birth/heritage, then that change applies for life, no flip flopping.

But they can't play Test for Ireland, so if there was such a stipulation then we'd be WORSE off, where kids with potential are told to not play for Ireland if they want any shot at Test. It would be ludicrous.

I think as it is is probably the fairest way it can be, for associate nations. Players can take a stab at getting into a Test squad, but if they don't make it then they can come back. Why should they be denied the opportunity to play at the very pinnacle of their sport?

Eoin Morgan is a very good example. He gets better exposure as an occasional ODI performer for England than he can get for Ireland, earns more, has more earning potential in future and has represented England at the highest level. We should be PROUD that we produced a player of that calibre.

And now Rankin is trying his hand at it. Fair play to him I say. We should be encouraging these guys, not booing them or disparaging them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,860 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

But they can't play Test for Ireland, so if there was such a stipulation then we'd be WORSE off, where kids with potential are told to not play for Ireland if they want any shot at Test. It would be ludicrous.

I think as it is is probably the fairest way it can be, for associate nations. Players can take a stab at getting into a Test squad, but if they don't make it then they can come back. Why should they be denied the opportunity to play at the very pinnacle of their sport?

Eoin Morgan is a very good example. He gets better exposure as an occasional ODI performer for England than he can get for Ireland, earns more, has more earning potential in future and has represented England at the highest level. We should be PROUD that we produced a player of that calibre.

And now Rankin is trying his hand at it. Fair play to him I say. We should be encouraging these guys, not booing them or disparaging them.

Because it devalues the nationality of the man and of both countries. If he goes to England, he should stay gone, in a Cricket sense. The sight of Ed Joyce returning to play for Ireland now hes on the England scrapheap is galling.

I am very proud to see players of the calibre of Morgan, Rankin et al coming from Irish clubs and traditions, and as Ive said before I hope they flourish in the big leagues and make an excellent living from their talent - but this flag of convenience stuff between Test and Associate play is rotten.

I was watching the highlights of the ODI last night, my wife stayed watching the first bit of cricket I think she ever watched and was enjoying it, until the nationality matter arose and I explained the prevailing situation to her. After asking me a few times if she understood me right, even she who has little interest in sport was able to cite George Best and Ryan Giggs as examples of legendary players who stuck with their home nations even though it denied them a shot at the international stage. This week we see the worlds most 'valuable' player in football moving to a top club, but knowing with almost certainty that he will never appear at a Euros or World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I was watching the highlights of the ODI last night, my wife stayed watching the first bit of cricket I think she ever watched and was enjoying it, until the nationality matter arose and I explained the prevailing situation to her. After asking me a few times if she understood me right, even she who has little interest in sport was able to cite George Best and Ryan Giggs as examples of legendary players who stuck with their home nations even though it denied them a shot at the international stage. This week we see the worlds most 'valuable' player in football moving to a top club, but knowing with almost certainty that he will never appear at a Euros or World Cup.

Its a bit different in football though. The likes of Bale or Giggs could still play at a world cup even it is unlikely that Wales wouls quality. They will still play a lot of games at the highest level against the best opposition in qualifiers etc.

And its not unheard of in football for players to choose bigger countries over the country of their birth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Ryan Giggs

Probably not the best example, as he played at underage level for England before switching to Wales.

Advertisement