Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v England Sept 3

Options
  • 23-07-2013 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Who's heading to this?

http://www.cricketireland.ie/about/RSA-Challenge

We've got a group of around 8 looking to head on the piss for the day, where do you reckon in the ground is best placed for seats in the stands. There's a little map on the Ticketmaster site but it's hard to say, perhaps B is best over the far side? Anyone have any local knowledge of the ground?

Square of the wicket near a bar would be preferable! What sort of a crowd do you think that the match will attract? heard talk of 10,000 earlier in the year?

Hoping for plenty of this against the poms....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Tix order thru the local club. :ooking forward to it big crowd from club going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Anyone know what the story will be with alcohol in the ground? Could you bring a can or two in with you or is there a bar on site?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Anyone know what the story will be with alcohol in the ground? Could you bring a can or two in with you or is there a bar on site?

There will be a bar. You can't bring your own drink (and they do bag searches).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Morgan will captain England and Rankine in the team - how Irish cricket or cricket in general is supposed to develop when a superpower like England takes our best - With all our best players available it would be a big order to compete with England, baring in mind the numbers advantage they already have , but when they take our best .. hardly fair

• Registered Users Posts: 23,860 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This Ireland players playing tests for England has gone far enough. I understand that elite Irish players want to make it as professionals and play at test level, but the a la carte nationality thing has become an absolute farce. Morgan and Co should be able to play on at County level, and good luck to them, but they must be barred from England selection for so long as they can be called upon for Ireland also. Obviously in a lot of sports adopted nationality is pervasive, but I cant think of any other circumstances where this flip-flopping is permitted. It devalues both teams and both nations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Eoin Morgan (capt), Gary Ballance, Ravi Bopara, Danny Briggs, Jos Buttler, Michael Carberry, Steven Finn, Chris Jordan, Jamie Overton, Boyd Rankin, Ben Stokes, James Taylor, James Tredwell, Luke Wright.

Some are more debatable then others what colour they should be but amazingly no Saffers this time (2 Irish and one each Zim, NZ and WI). Pietersen is back into the ODI squad for the Aussie games but won't be coming over here (along with Root and Trott). A bunch of players are rested for the Aussie games also.

Have to be delighted really with the side they are sending (from a winning not spectating point of view), hopefully we can perform and finally beat them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Any idea of the price of a pint in the venue? 40 euro is steep enough for the tickets, they better not plan on charging over 5 euro for a pint inside.

Pretty much a Lions squad, as expected. Still, Carberry is in fantastic form for Hants. Saw his century in the FLT20 QF on Sky - if he plays like that (assuming he makes the side) the fans will certainly be entertained. Bopara, Taylor and Morgan can all be good to watch. A lot of talk about Ballance so he'll probably make the XI too.

I think I'll wait to see what the weather is like the day before deciding on going or not (assuming there's tickets).
    Larbre34 wrote: »
    This Ireland players playing tests for England has gone far enough. I understand that elite Irish players want to make it as professionals and play at test level, but the a la carte nationality thing has become an absolute farce. Morgan and Co should be able to play on at County level, and good luck to them, but they must be barred from England selection for so long as they can be called upon for Ireland also. Obviously in a lot of sports adopted nationality is pervasive, but I cant think of any other circumstances where this flip-flopping is permitted. It devalues both teams and both nations.

There is no flip flopping. Once they play for England they can't play for Ireland (except where there is a two year gap since last playing for England). A cricketers career is short, and even if Ireland get test status, there will always be the temptation to play for England to maximise their earnings opportunities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Disappointed there is no David Willey in the England team, bang on form in limited overs cricket hit 150 plus against Warks. last time out and scored quickest t20 50 of season on finals day. Bitterness would suggest if he played for a different county he would have a better chance. Hope the weather holds out for the game, I'm working otherwise I would go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Will this be televised?

• Advertisement

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Will this be televised?

Yep, Sky Sports 2 (Ashes)

Posted on Friday:
    http://www.cricketireland.ie/news/article/final-call-for-tickets-as-malahide-fills-up-for-historic-fixture
    Cricket Ireland has revealed that just a few hundred tickets remain on sale
    Indeed, such is the level of sales in recent days that the match is expected to be a sell-out before this weekend if sales continue at their current level. Cricket Ireland strongly advises those wishing to attend that the only way to ensure being at the match on Tuesday is to purchase their tickets now in advance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Pretty scathing article up on cricinfo from Ger Siggins, too long to quote.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/667597.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Pretty scathing article up on cricinfo from Ger Siggins, too long to quote.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/667597.html

Yeah read that earlier, he makes some good, interesting points but it's surrounded by such bitterness and some old fashioned dislike of the English I found it all a bit pathetic.

Yeah read that earlier, he makes some good, interesting points but it's surrounded by such bitterness and some old fashioned dislike of the English I found it all a bit pathetic.

It is bitter alright, but I agree with a good bit of it, I find it amazing that considering just how close Ireland and England are that England havent ever done a tour here, just a quick pit-stop ODI once a year from a Lions Squad and that's it... So far only Pakistan and Bangladesh have actually done a series here

They come every two years for one ODI on a date of their choice (and whatever the team they pick it is not the Lions, it is a full ODI with full ranking points on offer). Both of those "issues" are covered a bit in the article.
    The Ger Siggins article was also in the Sunday Indo today though that version had cut out maybe 3 paragraphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

While the matter of the squad which they are sending over is irritating from the point of view of the fans going to the game expecting to see some top level players on show, as far as Im concerned its better for us if they send over a second string side. Its a full ODI game and if they send over a weakened XI and we beat them then it does us the world of good and notches up an embarrassing ODI defeat for them. This Irish side has more than enough about it to defeat a County Championship XI as far as Im concerned.

I think it works both ways though, they are easier to beat and we do get some points, but the match will always have an asterisk beside it in most people's eyes I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I think it works both ways though, they are easier to beat and we do get some points, but the match will always have an asterisk beside it in most people's eyes I think.

For cricket fans, yeah.

But if Ireland manage a win tomorrow, and George Hook is crying on the radio again, the only thing that will matter to the majority of the people in this country will be "OMG Ireland beat England at CRICKET. AGAIN!!! Lolxxz" - the majority won't know a Wright from a Root, and won't care.

It's good for the popularity of Irish Cricket that there is a decent chance of beating England.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Looking forward to a great day out tomorrow. The young lad is scheduled to make an appearance in the "halftime game" so huge excitement in out house and hopefully our local favourite Max will be selected. COYBIG.

• Advertisement

Is this starting at 10.30 or 10.45?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

Can anyone give me some details. I'll be getting the dart to Malahide tomorrow. Is the ground far from the DART station?

Edit *
    Never mind the beer question, it seems it'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Is this starting at 10.30 or 10.45?

I thought that it was 10.45 but Cricinfo has it as 10.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Tweeter

Is1ldur wrote: »
    Can anyone give me some details. I'll be getting the dart to Malahide tomorrow. Is the ground far from the DART station?

Edit *
    Never mind the beer question, it seems it'll be grand!

1 minute from the Dart station (literally across the road), you can't miss it, enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,356 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

so, what do all think irelands chances are. usually one of the openers gets a quick one..hopefully not today.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,356 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

some wide by rankin

Anyone know what happened for that dismissal?

Anyone know what happened for that dismissal?

Trod on his stumps.

Some great shots by Porterfield there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Any streaming link?

Advertisement