Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carl Froch vs George Groves

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Good interview

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭jayod30

Realistically, Groves doesn't stand a chance in hell. His only real fight to date was against DeGale who I don't rate much, he fought to a very good gameplan but was still less than convincing. Since then the standard of boxer he's fought has done little to show he's ready for a fight with Froch.

A big blow was leaving Booth aswell, he might have stood a slim chance with booth in his corner as anyone who knows anything in this sport knows Booth is a master of training his boxers to execute game plans. The moment they split, his chances evaporated. You could argue the point he might catch him with a lucky solid but even then Froch is known for his granite chin!

I'm going for a 6-7 round stoppage for Froch. Groves might light up the first one or two rounds just to get everyone's blood pumping but once Froch starts to pin him to the ropes, which I predict happening, then it'll only be a matter of time before the ref steps in

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭fpllad

I'm for George Groves, seems more confident, nearly made Froch cry....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

fpllad wrote: »
    I'm for George Groves, seems more confident, nearly made Froch cry....

Yea, he really didnt.

I agree with jayod30 ko around 6 to 8

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Just saw an update that Andy Lee has replaced Martin Murray on the undercard - now PPV is definitely required!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

heart says Groves, but my head says Froch.

I just cant see where Groves can beat Froch over 36 minutes, i just cant.

ive just watched his 'behind the ropes' special on sky and his training seems lacklustre, or slow. Maybe im reading into it wrong, but it just doesnt fill me with much confidence.

I still cant wait for it though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

ive just watched his 'behind the ropes' special on sky and his training seems lacklustre, or slow. Maybe im reading into it wrong, but it just doesnt fill me with much confidence.

I just caught a few minutes of that show this morning and it did seem very lifeless. He was just wandering around the gym in a hoodie and then headed off to buy a pork chop. It didn't inspire confidence. Maybe it's all part of the mystique and when the cameras are gone he's training like a mad man?
    Is there any word on who his sparring partners are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Jimmymcnulty86

IMO this is a clear Froch win, Groves won't even cum close maybe a good couple early rounds but that's it, possible 6/7 ko.
    The job Sky and the commentators have done marketing this fight to the casual boxing fan has been brilliant, so much waffle nd hyping up Groves, actually making it seem it's a close fight nd worthy of PPV. This was never a close fight or worthy of PPV, just good work by Hearn nd Sky hyping it.
    I remember even thinking Haye would beat Klitchko in the build up to that fight, what was I thinking brainwashed by Sky's spoofing but not again:)
    Good to see Andy Lee fighting hopefully he impresses I think he's the best from barker / macklin / Murray and is very likeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

The press conference is cringe-worthy stuff from both of these guys, so awkward and childish. Hopefully they can knock each other out!

Froch was losing his cool haha . U could see him going white in the face with temper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

That was so cringy, embarrassing to watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i really hope Froch loses
    don't see it happening though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

MD1990 wrote: »
    i really hope Froch loses
    don't see it happening though

Yeah he will probably win alright although it's amusing to see how much Groves has got under his skin.

Was funny when Froch complained about Groves not showing any respect and then Groves goes "hang on, in your last fight you said you were going to kill your opponent in the ring".:D

Groves has Froch number in the verbals. Imo this is 2 fights 1 yr to soon for him. I just think he needs two more tough 12 rd fights to have the stamina to outbox Froch. Im really Sick of Froch. Inyeresting how he said ward will go his whole career unbeaten. He obviously does not fancy a rematch

Groves has Froch number in the verbals. Imo this is 2 fights 1 yr to soon for him. I just think he needs two more tough 12 rd fights to have the stamina to outbox Froch. Im really Sick of Froch. Inyeresting how he said ward will go his whole career unbeaten. He obviously does not fancy a rematch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

In ring walk for this fight is approx 10.45pm. The Hearn fella tweeted this earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,073 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Groves is being petty with his schoolyard bully tactics.

however, Froch has been made look like a child by his inability to answer easy enough questions.

Groves has said very little that's disrespectful compared to Froch.

also, Froch's incessant need to paint himself as the good guy whose going to beat Groves on behalf of the British public, well, it comes across quite needy.

. Inyeresting how he said ward will go his whole career unbeaten. He obviously does not fancy a rematch

It's a bit of both really. Ward made it clear after Frochs victory over Kessler that he didn't see a rematch happen in the near future. Nothing to do with Frochs lack of willingness but more that Ward doesn't see it as a big fight for him, he has other targets in mind. That and the big stumbling block that is Ward wants to stay stateside (where the $$$ is) and Froch will want a rematch at home

jayod30 wrote: »
    It's a bit of both really. Ward made it clear after his victory over Kessler that he didn't see a rematch happen in the near future. Nothing to do with Frochs lack of willingness but more that Ward doesn't see it as a big fight for him, he has other targets in mind. That and the big stumbling block that is Ward wants to stay stateside (where the $$$ is) and Froch will want a rematch at home

Well i renember ward saying If Eddie hearn wants the fight pick up the phone. froch
    Has decided and rightly so that he will make excuses not ti fight ward. I cant blame him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

el flaco wrote: »
    I just caught a few minutes of that show this morning and it did seem very lifeless. He was just wandering around the gym in a hoodie and then headed off to buy a pork chop. It didn't inspire confidence. Maybe it's all part of the mystique and when the cameras are gone he's training like a mad man?
    Is there any word on who his sparring partners are?

I heard groves is sparring Eubanks and cleverly.

I'll be honest I haven't seen Eubanks because of the while channel 5 thing. But cleverly is a useful double for Froch imo. He had a similar come forward style.

I still think Froch will win though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

It's a bit of both really. Ward made it clear after Frochs victory over Kessler that he didn't see a rematch happen in the near future. Nothing to do with Frochs lack of willingness but more that Ward doesn't see it as a big fight for him, he has other targets in mind. That and the big stumbling block that is Ward wants to stay stateside (where the $$$ is) and Froch will want a rematch at home

If Ward fights Froch in England he will most definitely be paid more than he would if he fights him again in the USA.
    Like virtually all top Americans Ward won't fight outside his home country, yet expects everyone else to do exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

I heard groves is sparring Eubanks and cleverly.

I'll be honest I haven't seen Eubanks because of the while channel 5 thing. But cleverly is a useful double for Froch imo. He had a similar come forward style.

I still think Froch will win though.

Can't see much similarity myself. Cleverley tends to get close then throws fast, light combinations. Froch stays on the outside and is much more sparing with his heavier punches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

megadodge wrote: »
    If Ward fights Froch in England he will most definitely be paid more than he would if he fights him again in the USA.
    Like virtually all top Americans Ward won't fight outside his home country, yet expects everyone else to do exactly that.

Ward is the champ, you have to go and get that title and can't expect him to come to your back yard.

Its matterless ward Would beat him in his own gym. Froch wont push for the fight. He will use the ward wont travel excuse. Its more possible to see kessler 3 . Which is à shame because kessler is finished

Watching this bull**** must be what it's like to be a primary school teacher in the yard at lunchtime.

megadodge wrote: »

I agree most don't want to fight outside the US but also television deals have a lot to do with it. The audience base in the US far eclipses that of the UK, hence what brings in the money and that's why if you want to be big you move to the US. Fighting in the UK time wise just doesn't suit the American audience, hence the purse will never be as big

Ward is the champ, you have to go and get that title and can't expect him to come to your back yard.

Ward doesn't hold a belt so technically, Froch is the champ :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ward has nothing to prove. If Froch is so eager to redeem himself he should travel anywhere to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

Fight Schedule from the match room site

5:20pm
    Scotty Cardle v Kryzsztof Szot
    8 x 3 mins Lightweight Contest

6:00pm
    Rocky Fielding v Luke Blackledge
    12 x 3 mins Commonwealth Super Middleweight title

Kal Yafai v Abigail Medina
    6 x 3 mins Super-Flyweight Contest

Jamie McDonnell v Bernard Inom
    8 x 3 mins Bantamweight Contest

Stephen Smith v Sergio Manuel Medina
    10 x 3 mins Vacant WBC International Silver Super Featherweight title

Luke Campbell v Morgan Duthes
    6 x 3 mins Lightweight contest

Anthony Crolla v Stephen Foster Jr.
    12 x 3 mins WBO Inter-Continental Lightweight title

Andy Lee v Ferenc Hafner
    6 or 8 x 3 mins Middleweight Contest

Scott Quigg v Diego Silva
    12 x 3 mins WBA Super Bantamweight title

By 11:00pm
    Carl Froch v George Groves
    12 x 3 mins WBA and IBF Super Middleweight titles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Ward doesn't hold a belt so technically, Froch is the champ :-)

Belts don't matter in boxing. Froch wouldn't bear Ward in a month of Sundays.

Advertisement