Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fetac CAO offers 2013..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Forever21

Boland88 wrote: »
    I've applied for level 7 in lit sports strength and conditioning and got 4 merits 4 distinctions ! When should I expect an offer! Thanks

Round 1 19th August

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Lamina

Boland88 wrote: »
    I've applied for level 7 in lit sports strength and conditioning and got 4 merits 4 distinctions ! When should I expect an offer! Thanks

The 19th, if you don't get one then you might be lucky enough to get an offer after that when people don't accept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭happyviolet

Forever21 wrote: »
    What did you apply for and how many points is your first choice

Well in Level 8 my first choice was Photography in Dun Laoighre (was really way over my head thinking I could get in as I heard it is really hard to get in) and for FETAC it was 3 out of 8 distinctions, and for LC you need this (taken from IADT website):

-Leaving Certificate Examination (or equivalent) with a minimum of Grade C3 in two Higher (or Common) Level papers, together with Grade D3 in four other subjects, to include English and Ordinary Level Mathematics or Higher level Mathematics. Foundation Level Mathematics is acceptable

See I am just so flustered about what i want to do, because even if I got an offer, I am not sure if I want it now, since after doing a PLC in Media Production, I have realised that it might be harder to get a job if I only ever did Photography in college, much rather do a media production course where I can have range of different media subjects to learn skills from.

Level 6/7 is Communications in Creative Multimedia in Dundalk, which I am hoping to get either since i dont think they do FETAC but the points are 200 so it is low enough.

I am jealous of all the people here who at least had a goal to get into a certain place and have an idea of what they want to do. I keep having doubts over what I want to do as a career.

Well in Level 8 my first choice was Photography in Dun Laoighre (was really way over my head thinking I could get in as I heard it is really hard to get in) and for FETAC it was 3 out of 8 distinctions, and for LC you need this (taken from IADT website):

-Leaving Certificate Examination (or equivalent) with a minimum of Grade C3 in two Higher (or Common) Level papers, together with Grade D3 in four other subjects, to include English and Ordinary Level Mathematics or Higher level Mathematics. Foundation Level Mathematics is acceptable

See I am just so flustered about what i want to do, because even if I got an offer, I am not sure if I want it now, since after doing a PLC in Media Production, I have realised that it might be harder to get a job if I only ever did Photography in college, much rather do a media production course where I can have range of different media subjects to learn skills from.

Level 6/7 is Communications in Creative Multimedia in Dundalk, which I am hoping to get either since i dont think they do FETAC but the points are 200 so it is low enough.

I am jealous of all the people here who at least had a goal to get into a certain place and have an idea of what they want to do. I keep having doubts over what I want to do as a career.

Well it looks like you have enough points from both fetac and leaving cert to get Dundalk so you'll be ok. It's not all bad . Look on the bright side you will get Dundalk and it sounds as you have a lot of open doors with that course

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nkdagg

I just got my corrected PLC results on Tuesday, they were delayed because of the appeals process, appeals brought me up an to 5 distinctions and 3 merits (4 distinctions, 4 merits before appeals). All of the colleges I've applied to gave out offers today, I got none.

I've a strong feeling that my appealed results mightn't have been considered yet, what are the chances that could be it? and I might get an offer in Round One or Two?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Edel666

Are FETAC LVL 5 students included in Round one offers as well as the LC students?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

Due to changes in the FETAC awards and the way FETAC points are calculated do not assume that what happened last year is the same procedure this year.

If you wish to know whether you are competing against other FETAC applicants only or against Leaving Cert students then look at the code on the extreme right hand side of the list of courses on the page Information for FETAC applicants on the CAO page. They are as follows;

UPD - The score is used to rank applicants among school leavers as well as those presenting FETAC.
    MAN - The score is used to rank FETAC applicants for consideration for entry to a FETAC quota course.
    ONE - The best score in a single FETAC assessment session are used for ranking purposes.
    MLT - The best score in any combination of FETAC assessment sessions are used for ranking purposes.
    ART - The FETAC assessment will be combined with an assessment carried out by the HEI offering the course (e.g. an art portfolio assessment or an audition).

If you have a question contact the Admissions Office of the college you are hoping to get an offer and ask them when the FETAC offers are made.

Remember in many cases there are very few places available to FETAC applicants across all courses where you are competing against other FETAC applicants.

The requirements listed by the colleges are just that - requirements. It does not mean that by meeting these you will get a place on the course. In many cases you will need to get higher results than these requirements. Using the FETAC system to get a place on a course is just like using your Leaving Cert points, demand from students for places on a course vs the amount of places available will determine the points for the course.

Remember you can always get a offer of a place higher on your list of preferences but never an offer of a place lower on your preferences. Once you get an offer then all the preferences lower down are deleted.

Think carefully about your offer, research the course, do not accept it for the sake of it. Sometimes you may be better off completing a FETAC Level 6 course and transferring into a degree course then as opposed to starting on a course you are not interested in.

Finally if you have any questions check with Career Guidance Counsellor or FETAC centre or local Adult Education Guidance Officer (VECs). The CAO is the system, they make the offers on the behalf of the colleges so the best organisation to contact is the college you are hoping to get into - Admissions Office.

This document explains the new FETAC progression scheme - http://fetac.ie/fetac/documents/Progression_Opportunities_for_2013.pdf

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Changel

Guys, may I ask a question - Can we still use our FETAC 2013 cert to apply for Nursing to the CAO next year?

What does it mean if the course code is listed as RAXXX?

Yeah i think you can along with whatever fetac award you get this year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Sinny2

Changel wrote: »
    Guys, may I ask a question - Can we still use our FETAC 2013 cert to apply for Nursing to the CAO next year?

Yep we can :)

Edel666 wrote: »
    What does it mean if the course code is listed as RAXXX?

I think that's the fetac course. Go to Cao site & click on fetac information then entry requirements and select the college you want to go to. It will give a list of all the courses ant requirements for fetac and codes . Go to the top and click on info and it will explain the codes you need to meet

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

For 2014 entry requirements will be released in Sept 2013 but it is probably acceptable to present an award from a year previously.

RAXXX is a record of achievement and not a full award. It means you probably missed out on a mandatory programme/module or did not pass a sufficient number to get the required credits for a full award. All colleges and universities require a full award.

What? But i passed and got all the requirements for the course and i filled out the CAO on the day with the guidance counselor and all my details are correct? It was just that number RAXXX that i noticed? At the time i received the letter from CAO to ensure all details were correct i was still completing my Fetac 5 course? Is this ok? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

What? But i passed and got all the requirements for the course and i filled out the CAO on the day with the guidance counselor and all my details are correct? It was just that number RAXXX that i noticed? At the time i received the letter from CAO to ensure all details were correct i was still completing my Fetac 5 course? Is this ok? :)

I think it's just a generic fetac code. Appears on everyone's documents.

Changel wrote: »

Yeah you can! Once you have the results that you need there's no harm in applying again next year. Or maybe look into a BTEC or Fetac level 6 so you are progressing?

I think it's just a generic fetac code. Appears on everyone's documents.
    Could i ring the CAO and ask them? The guidance counselor told me that the results of my FETAC 5 course would automatically go through? However two previous courses i done Level 5 and Level 6 those courses were displayed on the form and were correct it was just RAXXX from this years course. Would that have meant that this years results were still pending? Sorry if this doesn't make sense just a bit worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Could i ring the CAO and ask them? The guidance counselor told me that the results of my FETAC 5 course would automatically go through? However two previous courses i done Level 5 and Level 6 those courses were displayed on the form and were correct it was just RAXXX from this years course. Would that have meant that this years results were still pending? Sorry if this doesn't make sense just a bit worried.

You would be better off ringing them, they will explain it all too you. We rang yesterday with a a query and they were very helpful but took a while to get through but I'd say the phone lines are not as busy today.

Payton wrote: »
    You would be better off ringing them, they will explain it all too you. We rang yesterday with a a query and they were very helpful but took a while to get through but I'd say the phone lines are not as busy today.
    Thanks i tried ringing them there but the phone line was engaged i sent them an e-mail instead. Hopefully that code will be ok as i'm sure the results would've went through because on the statement my PPS number is correct and the course codes for the different colleges are correct also? :)

Thanks i tried ringing them there but the phone line was engaged i sent them an e-mail instead. Hopefully that code will be ok as i'm sure the results would've went through because on the statement my PPS number is correct and the course codes for the different colleges are correct also? :)

The RA stands for record of acheivement. What results did you get? You should ring either the college you were in or the CAO. Fetac don't have any contact numbers available, strangely. Let us know how you get on!

• Advertisement

I e-mailed the CAO and it said CAO has received a full award in respect of my FETAC results so it must be ok? I might ring them to double check

I e-mailed the CAO and it said CAO has received a full award in respect of my FETAC results so it must be ok? I might ring them to double check

I see. No harm in double checking. A girl from my course nearly had her hard work poured down the drain by CAO. Just by chance, she rang NUI maynooth on Monday morning asking them had they received her fetac results prior to Thursdays offers. They told her there was no record of her application or results. She then rang CAO who told her she inputted the wrong PPS number (she had an email confirmation from when she first signed up in January, and it was the right PPS number) and they hadn't sent her results to any colleges. She gave them her correct PPS and they sent her results to colleges on Tuesday, one day before offers were issued by colleges. If she hadn't of rang Maynooth she wouldn't have received any offers and a year of hard work would have been down the drain. She received her first choice then on Thursday.

Gosh she was lucky she didn't miss out well on my application and everything when i log on my PPS is the correct number it was just that RAXXX thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bekah13

I rang CAO yesterday about my offers as I did not get any so im hoping in round 1 I will get what im looking for. However, cao told me that I got 370 points from my FETAC results but they said that those points would not be the same as leaving cert points. Does anybody know anything about this as I just thought FETAC points were the same as leaving cert points??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭happyviolet

Bekah13 wrote: »
    I rang CAO yesterday about my offers as I did not get any so im hoping in round 1 I will get what im looking for. However, cao told me that I got 370 points from my FETAC results but they said that those points would not be the same as leaving cert points. Does anybody know anything about this as I just thought FETAC points were the same as leaving cert points??

I heard somewhere that they are not doing the FETAC points like that anymore, that they and the LC points are completely different now. I could be wrong but that is what I heard.
    It's a pity that they could not have notify people about this properly through text or email, I had to ask on here about it as well! :mad:

They weren't doing the FETAC points like what?

The whole system feels like a joke .. :(

Sinny2 wrote: »
    The whole system feels like a joke .. :(
    Why whats the story with it?

Why whats the story with it?

One of my friends rang cao because she was that disappointed that she didnt get an offer and they said they hadnt received the right results for her

• Advertisement

Sinny2 wrote: »
    One of my friends rang cao because she was that disappointed that she didnt get an offer and they said they hadnt received the right results for her
    Oh really? Well as far as i know i have the required amount of Distinctions for my course as i checked it out. :)

Advertisement