Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

topless sunbathing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I was in Ruegen in Germany years ago with my then 7 year old son and there were loads of completely naked birds sunbathing and fit ones at that. But we also saw a horse with a huge flute so swings and roundabouts really

Do Ryanair fly anywhere near Ruegen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Cienciano wrote: »

well I've never heard of ruegen before,so its quite likely they do fly there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Topless ? Next they'll be reading books

http://twitter.com/ToplessPulp

( Disclaimer : may contain bits )

Cienciano wrote: »

Of course - Ruegen/Altomunster - right beside Ruegen shure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

No, please no segregated topless areas just a little less hysteria. I love sunbathing topless, have done all my life, our mother always told us to cop on and get over ourselves. Girls are so bl00dy self-conscious and have so many body hang-ups in general, I'm sure that's largely down to only seeing other naked girls in air brushed magazine shoots. Less pointless drama about a bit of nudity would sort that right out.

It really pi$$es me off when I have to wear my bikini top because company or location won't welcome it. When i was younger (and far more obnoxious) i didn't care but now I am slightly more respectful to cultural expectations or situations like my covered up friend not appreciating me letting it all hang out in front of her husband.

Very annoying though. I hate tan lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭jma

gctest50 wrote: »
    Topless ? Next they'll be reading books

http://twitter.com/ToplessPulp

:eek: Sudden urge to visit NYC...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Katgurl wrote: »
    I love sunbathing topless, have done all my life, our mother always told us to cop on and get over ourselves. Girls are so bl00dy self-conscious and have so many body hang-ups in general, I'm sure that's largely down to only seeing other naked girls in air brushed magazine shoots. Less pointless drama about a bit of nudity would sort that right out.
    You make your mother seem harsh in that particular instance. Wanting to keep your boobs covered does not necessarily mean having body hang-ups at all. It, or at least dressing really skimpily, can sometimes mean the opposite! I'd agree more exposure (pun intended ;)) to non airbrushed bodies might give some people more of a perspective re their bodies rather than comparing them to perfection, but I don't think forcing nudity is the answer either.
    As long as people who aren't into being topless accept that other people feel the opposite, and vice-versa, what more do we need...

A big part of it happening so little in Ireland is the fecking weather - but that's too boring a a reason... telling people they're prudish and repressed is far more fun! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Katgurl wrote: »
    No, please no segregated topless areas just a little less hysteria. I love sunbathing topless, have done all my life, our mother always told us to cop on and get over ourselves. Girls are so bl00dy self-conscious and have so many body hang-ups in general, I'm sure that's largely down to only seeing other naked girls in air brushed magazine shoots. Less pointless drama about a bit of nudity would sort that right out.

It really pi$$es me off when I have to wear my bikini top because company or location won't welcome it. When i was younger (and far more obnoxious) i didn't care but now I am slightly more respectful to cultural expectations or situations like my covered up friend not appreciating me letting it all hang out in front of her husband.

Very annoying though. I hate tan lines.

EXCELLENT post KatGurl, wish there were MORE with Your outlook on life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

As long as I can look and drool and wish I were 40 years younger, I'm all for it. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dublinbhoy88

took a good stroll up gormanstown beach today,my 9year old son and his mate in tow and i counted 11 topless women in the two mile stretch we walked. The lads had a great laugh of course,being 9year old boys and that,but it got me thinking.Im sure there were plenty of parents today that didn't want their own kids seeing that,so is it time local councils took the European approach and designated topless/naked sections on our beaches?because plenty are already stripping off regardless,and probably offending some people.On the European beaches with nude sections it kind of polices itself,so it wouldn't cost anything.
    would you include topless men in this?

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    HOPEFULLY, the day of certain religions running this country are LONG gone. Catholic church c......

I don't thing that's the Church being referred to. Think;

http://everydayfeminism.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/burqa_liberation2010-med-wide.jpg

• Advertisement

After seeing how a respectable middle aged man reacted to a curvacious girl in summer gear yesterday (walked into a lamp post) I think we'd have a lot of heart attacks on our hands if we allowed our beaches to go nude.
    Well at least the old feckers would die happy :pac:

That was me I think. And don't worry "love" I've already had the bypass operation, I've few more ooooogles left to go, and thanks for making me so happy. :pac::pac::pac:

Joe10000 wrote: »
    Even if your wife/girlfriend/woman you masterbate to went topless all day you would be bored of looking by lunchtime.

I have no problem with it, they're only boobs as someone might say.

Now, this is one of the most valid points as to why women should stay covered up a bit. Overall, boredom and boredom in the bedroom is the biggest rift in relationships.

shane9689 wrote: »
    many tribes in hot countries are topless 24/7

all this crap is a big deal because we make it a big deal....

Generally in the developing counties, at the time when Europe was invading them, women's breasts were not see as sexual at all, a totally different effect they had on the British, Dutch, French, American and Spanish sailors and soldiers.

In fact a gift a King would often give his wife for the night and if she was returned unused or dissatisfied one could become their dinner rather than their quests.

It was religious missionaries who stigmatized "native" women's breasts and you know all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

took a good stroll up gormanstown beach today,my 9year old son and his mate in tow and i counted 11 topless women in the two mile stretch we walked. The lads had a great laugh of course,being 9year old boys and that,but it got me thinking.Im sure there were plenty of parents today that didn't want their own kids seeing that,so is it time local councils took the European approach and designated topless/naked sections on our beaches?because plenty are already stripping off regardless,and probably offending some people.On the European beaches with nude sections it kind of polices itself,so it wouldn't cost anything.

Am curious OP as to how you would feel if you were walking on a beach with your 9 year old daughter and came across 11 men sunbathing nude?

Splendour wrote: »
    Am curious OP as to how you would feel if you were walking on a beach with your 9 year old daughter and came across 11 men sunbathing nude?

I'm not the OP but I think it's transgressing a point, though I do agree with the equation of topless women with nude men.

Red Nissan wrote: »
    I'm not the OP but I think it's transgressing a point, though I do agree with the equation of topless women with nude men.

I don't think so as the OP says this:
    so is it time local councils took the European approach and designated topless/naked sections on our beaches?because plenty are already stripping off regardless,and probably offending some people.

would you include topless men in this?
    He says there are people (not himself) who would take issue with women sunbathing topless and being seen by kids etc (because some people would have a problem with this) hence asking should there be a designated area for them to do so.
    If men were sunbathing naked, the very same people he refers to would take issue no doubt.

Men sunbathing topless - nobody would take issue with that the way they would re women's boobies being out, whether that's right or wrong.

I don't think so as the OP says this:

Well we go straight into the naturist, naturism realm then where whole families, babies, young children, teenager, adolescents, old people all are naked together.

Obviously then one should be of a like mind to join or enter that club.

The point was coming across topless women from a men's point of view on public beaches and by implication should the current laws be enforced or allow their transgression with segregated sections where the law would not be enforced.

Men have been arrested at the Forty Foot in Dublin as example and it's been a traditional male only bathing place since Victorian times. Much if not all our beaches used be segregated and men and women used never be allowed together and swimwear was full body suits for both parties and of course, children were not allowed.

He says there are people (not himself) who would take issue with women sunbathing topless and being seen by kids etc (because some people would have a problem with this) hence asking should there be a designated area for them to do so.
    If men were sunbathing naked, the very same people he refers to would take issue no doubt.

Men sunbathing topless - nobody would take issue with that the way they would re women's boobies being out, whether that's right or wrong.

So you'd take it that himself (the OP) wouldn't have a problem with men sunbathing nude (bottomless) but he's concerned others might.

Well we go straight into the naturist, naturism realm then where whole families, babies, young children, teenager, adolescents, old people all are naked together.

Obviously then one should be of a like mind to join or enter that club.

The point was coming across topless women from a men's point of view on public beaches and by implication should the current laws be enforced or allow their transgression with segregated sections where the law would not be enforced.

Men have been arrested at the Forty Foot in Dublin as example and it's been a traditional male only bathing place since Victorian times. Much if not all our beaches used be segregated and men and women used never be allowed together and swimwear was full body suits for both parties and of course, children were not allowed.

I don't know if it's illegal for women to sunbathe topless on public beaches in Ireland , I'm more interested in the equality of all of this. Most people who've posted on this thread don't have a problem with women sunbathing topless as breasts are just another body part. I take it then that the same people wouldn't have a problem with men sunbathing with their penises on show as it too is just another body part.
    (There are obviously nudists beaches out there but the beach the OP referred to is not a nudist beach).

(There are obviously nudists beaches out there but the beach the OP referred to is not a nudist beach).

We know that, think about the point you want to make for a few minutes and rephrase it.

There are laws on the dress code

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

I hope they were wearing sunscreen - sunburn on the boobs is very sore - I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

there's only two varieties, we all know what they look like...what's the problem with nakedness? We really are a screwed up lot .

We know that, think about the point you want to make for a few minutes and rephrase it.

There are laws on the dress code

This is my point as corktina put nicely in two sentences...
    corktina wrote: »
    there's only two varieties, we all know what they look like...what's the problem with nakedness? We really are a screwed up lot .

This is my point as corktina put nicely in two sentences...

Fine, that's the ethos of Naturism.

However, we live under a religious ordered legal system with laws about public nudity and they do treat men and women differently.

Men are allowed to go topless, women are not. Men showing their penis in public for any reason are subject to arrest.

Now, you need to get these laws changed, your opinion does not matter, your philosophy does not matter, we have laws that were passed by our judicatory and upheld in almost all legal challenges.

On the specific subject of public nudity it is an offense for both sexes. But, local authorities may permit public nudity at selected beaches without having the overall law changed.

Many of the so called nudist beaches in Ireland are simply being ignored rather than written in by-laws.

Fine, that's the ethos of Naturism.

However, we live under a religious ordered legal system with laws about public nudity and they do treat men and women differently.

Men are allowed to go topless, women are not. Men showing their penis in public for any reason are subject to arrest.

Now, you need to get these laws changed, your opinion does not matter, your philosophy does not matter, we have laws that were passed by our judicatory and upheld in almost all legal challenges.

On the specific subject of public nudity it is an offense for both sexes. But, local authorities may permit public nudity at selected beaches without having the overall law changed.

Many of the so called nudist beaches in Ireland are simply being ignored rather than written in by-laws.

Obviously there are laws but I am trying to determine peoples reaction if it were a man breaking the law by sunbathing topless rather than a woman going topless. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I take it then that the same people wouldn't have a problem with men sunbathing with their penises on show as it too is just another body part.

I would be against penises and vagina's being on display on beaches due to both higene and aesthetic reasons. Genitalia should be compared with other genitalia, not with breasts.

I'm sure women enjoy seeing topless men all the time at beaches (particulary well built ones....) but it doesn't cause a distraction. If kids learn boobies are nothing to be ashamed of, they'll stop noticing them in an immature way. The naughtiness will be gone.

I don't think we should stitmatize breasts too much. I see no harm with topless women sunbathing... my initial shock reaction would stem from old school values, but it's my perrogative to get over it. Same with public breast feeding etc..

I'm not sure if the right to 'not see' something is an actual right or mere self-entitled nonsense.

corktina wrote: »

If that were true we'd have died off as a species long ago. Even when tribes were naked there still was an attraction as to why the male or the female chose their partner.

Males are visually driven, most men would see very big differences in a line up of 20 naked women.

We do have hang ups and morals, that's part of being Irish in this case I suppose. Nice chatting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭flutered

this is important,to be fair they were all quite nice,with some nicer than others.

you really mean perkier than others.

Obviously there are laws but I am trying to determine peoples reaction if it were a man breaking the law by sunbathing topless rather than a woman going topless. That is all.

I think that is a fine idea, maybe make it a new thread with a poll. :cool:

• Advertisement

So:

- "We're" screwed up because public nudity is not prohibited

- There's some sort of anti-men policy being desperately searched for here because a man's bare chest and a women's breasts are the very same, and it shouldn't be a problem for a guy's genitals to be on show on the beach because someone is wondering whether people would want a segregated area for women to sunbathe topless purple monkey dishwasher

Advertisement