Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hill 16 not open for Meath v Tyrone/Kildare?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

Isn't the Davin the same price as the hill?

No, Davin is the same price as the Cusack and Hogan stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Looks like that's the case now. Really beggars belief. In 2010, the Hill was opened for two Dublin games between Tipp and Armagh that drew 22000 and 24000 respectively so why on earth is it all of a sudden not cost effective to open it for games that'll draw more of a crowd?

They didn't want to annoy Dublin supporters, they have no problem with pissing off everyone else however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭rpurfield

bad form not opening it i havent been on the hill in a few years now as i bring my dad into games, but hes started watching them on tele now so itd free me up to go on it.i always have a preference for standing and with the exception of cork all the teams playing next week would bring decent crowds and at least fill it if they didnt open the nally terrace now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Disgraceful if true. Grab all association

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Taffy Kat

Doesn't surprise me. They have done it often enough to Kilkenny in the past.

They usually put little flags on the barriers in the colours of the teams playing that day... its so beautiful :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Definitely not open.

l0oy.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Taffy Kat

THFC wrote: »
    Definitely not open.

l0oy.png

Hill and Nally closed so no possibility for the fans to obtain cheap tickets. Its things like this that stopped me going to GAA matches. The GAA doesn't give a damn about the fans, only bleeds them dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

gonna be 3 games on now...surely they have to open the Hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Taffy Kat wrote: »
    Hill and Nally closed so no possibility for the fans to obtain cheap tickets. Its things like this that stopped me going to GAA matches. The GAA doesn't give a damn about the fans, only bleeds them dry.

Me too. The only reason im attending this year is I have a season ticket(got as a present).

Disgraceful that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Al_Coholic wrote: »
    gonna be 3 games on now...surely they have to open the Hill?
    Absolutely, Cavan will be bringing a massive support to that, all of the lower stand sections and the Hill 16 will be needed I'd say, and should be open too. I'm not really one for sitting down at sporting events so I'd be delighted to be there for our qualifier against London.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

jesus christ
    3 senior championship knockout games and still its not value for money?

Nailz wrote: »
    Absolutely, Cavan will be bringing a massive support to that, all of the lower stand sections and the Hill 16 will be needed I'd say, and should be open too. I'm not really one for sitting down at sporting events so I'd be delighted to be there for our qualifier against London.

people are saying 25euro for 3 games is cheap...it is in a way but when you have 2 and 3 people travelling as well as costs of getting there it adds up to a very expensive day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

They assumed wrongfully that Armagh would beat Galway. Common sense would put the fixtures as follows:

London V Cavan and Donegal V Laois in Croker - still not going to be full, but doff the hat to London and give them a game in Croker.

Meath V Tyrone in Cavan which would be close to a full house.

And have a triple header on Sunday instead in Thurles with:

2: Cork V Kilkenny (First so everyone can get back to Bruce)
    4: Cork V Galway
    6: Galway V Clare

That way Cork and Galway get both their games one after the other and a fine feast of Football/Hurling in Thurles.

jesus christ
    3 senior championship knockout games and still its not value for money?

why have they got the cheaper Hill tickets available for Dublin games but other counties dont get that choice? 6 different teams playing next weekend in Croke Park and none have this choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Me too. The only reason im attending this year is I have a season ticket(got as a present).

Disgraceful that.

Seriously lads ? ... Personally I think the Hill should be open but have a look at things at face value... it's 25 notes for the stands v 15 notes for the Hill ? ... yer hardly been creamed for an extra tenner ...coupled with the fact there's now 3 games (6 hours) of entertainment for the hard core fan, you'd nearly be glad of the seat ;)

Do you think the fans travelling from Cavan/Tyrone/Cork or Galway for the commitment they're making travelling up by bus car train or whatever that an extra €10 is gonna ruin the day ?

Have a look at the pricing structure for Aviva and tell me who is been ridden .. think they're looking 75 quid for Liverpool/Celtic in a couple of weeks .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Colm R wrote: »
    They assumed wrongfully that Armagh would beat Galway. Common sense would put the fixtures as follows:

London V Cavan and Donegal V Laois in Croker - still not going to be full, but doff the hat to London and give them a game in Croker.

Meath V Tyrone in Cavan which would be close to a full house.

And have a triple header on Sunday instead in Thurles with:

2: Cork V Kilkenny (First so everyone can get back to Bruce)
    4: Cork V Galway
    6: Galway V Clare

That way Cork and Galway get both their games one after the other and a fine feast of Football/Hurling in Thurles.

Would be logical thinking alright. I know some of the Galway footballers would love to play in Thurles cos it is rare a footballer gets a chance to play there.

DoctaDee wrote: »
    <snip>
    Have a look at the pricing structure for Aviva and tell me who is been ridden .. think they're looking 75 quid for Liverpool/Celtic in a couple of weeks .
    PLUS the FAI and Rugby initially forced you to buy expensive tickets for multiple internationals, including midweek ones, as an undiscounted package.

so you werent just looking at a number of expensive days out, you needed to have 100s of euros up front for the tickets per person PLUS the requisite time off work for all the folks travelling, and if outside the pale numerous round trips to Dublin, some for games ending late in the evening so not even able to get home by public transport.
    (and they wondered why their tickets werent popular and didnt sell out?)

And the gaa asks for 25 euro for 3 games back to back and its a scandal and rip off simply because there arent also 15euro tickets on a terrace so you can stand for 6+hours!

The other thing worth noting for all the penny pinchers is that with the Adult ticket for the stands come a concession of €5 euro for the kids as part of the family ticket, (there's no concession for kids on The Hill) So for those that may have kids of their own or a niece/nephew or next door neighbours kid, what a great opportunity for them to experience the atmosphere of Croker ... mind you and speaking personally the run around Tesco for goodies runs into 100's ;)

And the gaa asks for 25 euro for 3 games back to back and its a scandal and rip off simply because there arent also 15euro tickets on a terrace so you can stand for 6+hours!
    Is anyone actually calling the €25 price for seating tickets a rip off though? It's actually pretty good for 3 important inter-county matches, my main problem with it is the fact that there is absolutely no option for the terraces at all. I wouldn't necessarily care if I had to pay a wee bit extra just for the standing tickets than usual, an option would just be nice.

Nailz wrote: »
    Is anyone actually calling the €25 price for seating tickets a rip off though? <snip>
    yes
    one poster said about the lack of cheaper tickets on the hill:

"Disgraceful if true. Grab all association"

• Advertisement

yes

I'm pretty sure that's only a shout at that lack of choice for terrace tickets forcing the public to opt for the more expensive option, that doesn't necessarily mean that the more expensive option is a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

yes

Unless there's a valid reason other than extorting more money for the stand tickets then it is a bit disgrace not to open the terraces. They can't really use the low turn out excuse when there's three different matches that day.

An extra €10 a ticket might not seem like a lot when you're going on your own but if you're making it a day out with the family (which is what these things should be) it could be an extra €40-50 in the difference.

........An extra €10 a ticket might not seem like a lot when you're going on your own but if you're making it a day out with the family (which is what these things should be) it could be an extra €40-50 in the difference.

Nope ... if your travelling with yer family i.e with god forbids in tow yer actually paying the same... in the case of 2 adults, 2 children it would've been €15 x 4 for the Hill, whereas it's €25 x 2 and €5 x 2 for Cusack/Davin no family tickets available for Hogan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Personally I'd much rather stand at a game than sit, the cheaper tickets are only an added bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

August is on the way, and the travel and ticket prices moans are here too. Yes, it is not for free to get tickets, to get to venues and have the other aspects of the day out, but would you prefer to be sitting at home with your county out of the championship? We have fans at final whistles being delighted that their team is still in the championship and now going to be playing in Croke Park, and then they start complaining about the cost. There is a cost to following your team. Stay at home with your TV or radio if you want. No one is forcing you to go.

At the final whistles were all of the fans of beaten teams all breathing a sigh of relief that their counties were out and so there was no more costs and they could now start saving for Christmas? For those of you whose counties are still in the championship, would you prefer to be in the situation of those other fans? Of course t would be great if it could be cheaper for tickets, but it isn't. You can cut costs in some of the other things though, like food and drink. Come the final whistles the next day, if your team is still standing I am sure you will be saying it was worth every cent. Alternatively, go to the match and cheer for the opposition and when they win, start that Christmas fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'm not too bothered about the price, I usually think GAA is pretty terrific value. I just don't really understand why they wouldn't give fans the choice.

Especially for teams rarely in Croke Park - cheering your team from the Hill is like a rite of passage for a GAA fan, how long will it be before London get the chance again? Even for Cavan it's been 15 years since they've had the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

To be fair I thing the cost issue is being picked up differently by different people.

For me the cost issue is one that the Hill is being kept closed so that the cheaper alternative is not available and therefore by default they are squeezing an extra 10e out of a lot of people.

I my case specifically, I have a season ticket, but I hand that over to my mum if the Hill is open and not occupied by Dubs, the reason being I can watch the match with old friends that I only ever see on match days now.
    There is a different buzz on the hill and when the sun is shining its hard to beat.

But in this instance we are being denied that chance, and for what reason? MONEY. Now if the difference in cost is not a reasonable argument for a fan, then in my opinion its not a reasonable argument for the GAA hierarchy either

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

keane2097 wrote:
    I'm not too bothered about the price, I usually think GAA is pretty terrific value. I just don't really understand why they wouldn't give fans the choice.

Especially for teams rarely in Croke Park - cheering your team from the Hill is like a rite of passage for a GAA fan, how long will it be before London get the chance again? Even for Cavan it's been 15 years since they've had the chance.

Well the Cavan fans have had 16 years to save for Croke Park, so it should be no bother to them, and the London fans, bar the ones there for their hurling team a couple of years ago, have had a lifetime to save. As I said, they have a choice, they can go or stay at home. If they go, even if the Hill tickets are not available, they have to pay costs.

The other thing about this is the way it is always portrayed that all fans that go to matches come from within the borders of those counties. Us Dubs always get it thrown at us that we are close to Croke Park. In any other scenario we are told how many non-Dubs live in Dublin. Go to Croke Park on any day and enroute, all around Dublin, you'll see flags of the competing counties hanging out windows. So a lot of the fans supporting their counties won't be going that far. Even if they don't live in Dublin, they may still be closer to Dublin than their home county is. As for us Dubs, there are many Dubliners that don't live in Dublin and regularly travel to Dublin from down the country or abroad to go to games. We have to pay for food and drink and tickets too, even if some of us do have cheaper travel costs because of where we live.

Many of the travelling fans will come up the night before and stay in uncle Paddy and aunty Mary's house and have their breakfasts served up to them and have a dinner waiting for them when they get back there that evening. They may slum with the big brother who's got a musty flat as he prepares for his second year in UCD, or the place may even be empty as he is off on his summer holidays. So that is a total cost for food and accommodation, including tax, of €0. Even us Dubs don't get it that cheap. The flask and the ever reliable hang sandwiches saves money on food. So plenty of people are able to save a lot more money than they like to let on in one way or another. Even if there is a cockroach in the shower of the big brother's flat or aunty Mary doesn't seem to have changed the sheets on the bed since the last time they were there a few years ago, it is worth it for a night or two, all to see their county play in Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

stupid idea to have 3 qualifiers in croker. they should of given teams home advantage. who would go to croker for 6 hours especially if your standing on the hill. there be a better atmosphere in breffni or ruislip for cavan london

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I paid €111 for tickets today. 4 adults. 2 kids. €1 delivery fee. I'll pay €5.60 in tolls to get there and back. €10 then for parking at Croke Park.

Then there'll be diesel, programmes and other miscellaneous costs.

It's worth every penny though. First time to see Cavan play in Croke Park in 16 years.

The people on this thread moaning about €25 for 3 matches would give Cavan people a bad name.

It's a tenner or so to go to the cinema and watch some crap that lasts 2 hours.

Advertisement