Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hill 16 not open for Meath v Tyrone/Kildare?

Options
  • 19-07-2013 3:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭

I've read on another forum that Hill 16 won't be open for the round 4 qualifier in Coke Park. Big deal you might say but many supporters will stay at home if they can't avail of the slightly less priced tickets.

As I read on this other forum they pointed out that it was open for all Dublins qualifier games in 2010 despite many have very small attendances.

Not only does it look bad on TV having an empty hill but it also adds to the atmosphere having the "hardcore" together behind the goal with their singing/chanting.

Meath/Kildare/Tyrone would all bring a few heads to the hill so please GAA don't make a big mistake and leave it closed, just so you don't have to pay an extra 10 stewards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Croke_Park_fans_on_the_hill_m.jpg

Last time Meath played Tyrone there was a decent crowd on the Hill and a great atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Les Ferdinand

It's closed and rightly so.
    Hill 16 is Dublin only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Hill 16 is Dublin only.

Don't be ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    but it also adds to the atmosphere having the "hardcore" together behind the goal with their singing/chanting.

Just because you go to the hill doesn't make you "hardcore"! I would have thought that the "hardcore" supporters would go anywhere in the ground.

Besides the hill is a ****e view

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

Hill 16 is Dublin only.
    If that was the case it would be empty for most All Ireland finals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Les Ferdinand

Citycap wrote: »

Predictable and unoriginal joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

But totally appropriate in thsi instance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

There are some good viewing spots on it. Well up it, just as it starts to curve round towards the Cusack Stand gives a great view diagonally across the pitch with the posts not impeding the view. There are certainly worse places you can be in the stands.

The Hill brings a great atmosphere, especially when the Dubs are playing, but also on a big match day when there is a good crowd in it, no matter what counties are playing. In full voice and colour, that sea of blue with a few small pockets of all colours is great to see as a spectacle, no matter who you support. On those other days, the crowd is more mixed and it also gives great colour and atmosphere. It is special in Croke Parks attractions and hopefully we never lose it. In good weather like we've been having of late, it is great place for getting a red face, like his ---> :mad: If you don't want to look like him, bring plenty of sun screen.
    :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Ridiculous if true. Another example of the GAA trying to milk fans for all they're worth. As said, they simply can't use the excuse of leaving it closed because of an expected low attendance because only around 20000 were at the Dublin - Tipperary game in 2010 and it was open.
    If, as expected, Armagh beat Galway, I'd expect them to bring a decent crowd. If Kildare manage to beat Tyrone, I'd say the Meath game alone would bring around 30000.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Why are people only realising this now? the hill is always empty up until the semi final unless Dublin are playing usually and all the tickets go to the dubs.

Pretty stupid. Typical of the GAA though. Why should Dublin be special?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,017 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

garv123 wrote: »
    Why are people only realising this now? the hill is always empty up until the semi final unless Dublin are playing usually and all the tickets go to the dubs.

Pretty stupid. Typical of the GAA though. Why should Dublin be special?

Really ?

I don't think I have ever seen the hill unoccupied

Hmmm reading elsewhere it may be just a case of the tickets not being released yet. Hopefully they will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

this is a money decision if true.
    The reality is the vast majority of those going to the game will go Hill 16 or no Hill 16.
    By keeping it closed they will squeeze an extra tenner a head out of us.
    Based on 5000 going on the hill thats an extra 50000 in the kitty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

I haven't been to Hill 16 in nearly twenty years myself but supporters should have the option of a cheaper terrace ticket if they so wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Can't see myself why it wouldn't open - other than the attendant cost of extra stewarding. Funny enough was gonna toddle along with the young lad for the d/header - I've a Parnell Pass for a good few years now so generally in 305 of the Cusack. The young fella is getting to an age now that he wants to see the Hill - dunno whether me old war wounds would hold up to 4 hours standing tho :rolleyes:

DoctaDee wrote:
    I've a Parnell Pass for a good few years now so generally in 305 of the Cusack. The young fella is getting to an age now that he wants to see the Hill - dunno whether me old war wounds would hold up to 4 hours standing tho

I am sure you can at least test the old war wounds at this stage. Plenty of places to rest those weary bones, many more than in the old days, so you should be able to keep standing. All these "When I was a lad..." stories you tell the young fella won't be impressive unless you can bring him to see what the heat of battle is like for himself. You'll move up in his levels of respect then. He'll be really proud of his old man. Go on, go for it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Poor form if true, Meath do make the Hill their own when the Dubs arent there. Remember outsinging Tyrone, Cork, Mayo, Kerry, Louth and Kildare fans there the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Flukey wrote: »
    I am sure you can at least test the old war wounds at this stage. Plenty of places to rest those weary bones, many more than in the old days, so you should be able to keep standing. All these "When I was a lad..." stories you tell the young fella won't be impressive unless you can bring him to see what the heat of battle is like for himself. You'll move up in his levels of respect then. He'll be really proud of his old man. Go on, go for it.:)

LMAO .. yeah yeah .. I was only telling himself and his cousin about the "old days" last time out ... have been bringing them for a good few years now, and let them off the rein to go to the toilet, burgers on their own etc ... sez I when we get to the Hill there'll be no more going to the toilet, even on a warm day like this wear a pair of jeans so you wont notice the fella behind p1ssing on ya :D .. the jaws just dropped .. well I hope it's still like that and hasn't become too civilised :rolleyes:

DoctaDee wrote:
    LMAO .. yeah yeah .. I was only telling himself and his cousin about the "old days" last time out ... have been bringing them for a good few years now, and let them off the rein to go to the toilet, burgers on their own etc ... sez I when we get to the Hill there'll be no more going to the toilet, even on a warm day like this wear a pair of jeans so you wont notice the fella behind p1ssing on ya .. the jaws just dropped .. well I hope it's still like that and hasn't become too civilised

You told them to wear jeans? Jaysus, what sort of softies are you raising? Not only should they be in shorts, but they should be sitting down in front of the fellas when they start pissing. Tis great for dying the hair, and burning away tatoos. What with the dishwater they call beer they are sellig down in the bar, piss is far more toxic these days. Initiation requires getting pissed on. Could even work wonders for the old war wounds, so you might try it yourself. The combination of the current hot weather and Hill 16 piss all over you, beats a fake tan any day.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Surely it is the obvious reason of money? A hill ticket is what at least €10 cheaper than the other stand tickets, don't open the hill and gain €10 per head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

No doubt the reason that will be trotted out is that it will cost them too much to open it with stewards and concession staff etc as a result of an expected low turn out. If they expect a low turn out (I don't think it will be that low) why don't they try and fill a provincial ground?

Don't forget that this will be a double header so really there should be no reason why the hill would be closed. I would expect as somone said earlier that the tickets have just not been made available yet

Cork v Armagh/Galway and Meath v Tyrone/Kildare.

The second match alone should bring a decent crowd imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Tyrone and Meath should be in Breffni Park or maybe Clones, if Kildare pull of the upset then Tullamore would do the job nicely.
    Nothing worse than an empty Croke Park.
    Armagh and Cork are probably the reason they are going for a double header as **** all from either county would travel to any other neutral venue like Portlaoise.

The good old days when 60000 would turn up for a Leinster semi final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Citycap wrote: »

Do you want to count them. Go on, you're from the country. You'll have enough fingers :-)

Runs and hides

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭overshoot

Hill 16 is Dublin only.
    very true

whatnext wrote: »
    this is a money decision if true.
    The reality is the vast majority of those going to the game will go Hill 16 or no Hill 16.
    By keeping it closed they will squeeze an extra tenner a head out of us.
    Based on 5000 going on the hill thats an extra 50000 in the kitty

What about the thousands of people that won't pay an extra tenner? I know for a fact that if they offered Meath fans Canal end tickets for the price of the hill a few more thousand would have went. From my club alone there were about 10 lads from the senior team that were staying at home because the only cheap option was standing amongst 15,000 dubs.

GAAman wrote: »
    Surely it is the obvious reason of money? A hill ticket is what at least €10 cheaper than the other stand tickets, don't open the hill and gain €10 per head

and lose a few thousand attending while your at it.

Tyrone and Meath should be in Breffni Park or maybe Clones, if Kildare pull of the upset then Tullamore would do the job nicely.
    Nothing worse than an empty Croke Park.
    Armagh and Cork are probably the reason they are going for a double header as **** all from either county would travel to any other neutral venue like Portlaoise.

The good old days when 60000 would turn up for a Leinster semi final.

in fairness both Meath and Kildare were 2 of the best teams in the country back then and both challenging for leinster and all ireland honours. Plus it was straight knock out. Add the recession to that and you can see why we get at least half that to meath v kildare leinster semi's now.

Another poster said croke park emailed him back saying just the lower stands. real shame that. we're in a facking recession. thousands of people will not go because of the price they'll have to pay.

Looks like that's the case now. Really beggars belief. In 2010, the Hill was opened for two Dublin games between Tipp and Armagh that drew 22000 and 24000 respectively so why on earth is it all of a sudden not cost effective to open it for games that'll draw more of a crowd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Isn't the Davin the same price as the hill?

Advertisement