Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is a good wage these days?

Options
  • 18-07-2013 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Just wondering what is considered a decent average take home wage these days for both males and females. I know during the boom 750 e may have been average. but surely that has come down now. also what makes an irish person middle class these days.? just wondering? I was thinking 500-550 as an average?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭bradlente

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

It all depends on what you do so there's no real answer to the question. I get 25k a year which, for what I do, (software development) is fairly normal for the level I'm at.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It depends entirely on your circumstances really. For someone in my industry with 10 years experience, 50k would be a fairly normal salary.

If you're in your early 30's, single and living in a rural area in a house you inherited from your grandparents, you'd be on easy street. If it's the only income for a family of four paying a boom-time mortgage in Dublin (or renting in a decent area of Dublin) it's far from well off.

I think the best way to judge things is to look at your welfare entitlements and add 50%. If you're earning that, you're doing alright imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

€8.65 per hour. You will be entitled to loads of freebies and benefits, which would be denied, if you were earning say, €20 per hour.
    Also you pay little tax, PRSI, USC.

This countries tax and SW system, absolutely murders middle income earners.

Better be well below or a long way above the middle income band, and have the same middle income earners carry the can.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

cant even get the €8.65 per hour jobs! €188 is the norm for many now (myself included), and i fear the way things are heading that will have to be reduced as we just cant afford it and the people who are in work getting hammered with taxes can give no more to the government to help fund SW etc and i wouldnt expect them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Carlowgirl

Thanks interesting suggestions..
    I only work part time.. but with a good hourly rate.. but during the year I took temporary work in an office with a take home pay of 300 e per week.. It was just pocket money .. I could simply not live on it.. I was lucky I had savings to dip into ..or I was borrowing off my partner to pay back at the end of the month.. then rent bills etc .. pay back money and back to square one again !!!! I don't know how people can live on that... I did nt even get paid for my break and had a half hour lunch... only up side was I car pooled.. and it wasn't too far away...
    I don't think its possible to live on 188 either.. I think id be happy with 500 per week (if I could get work from my degree profession)... id be very content with that.. then again I live in rural area.. have no kids.. no mortgage yet.. !!!

I wonder do people have savings anymore or are most people living week to week... im not being nosy I don't mean to ask how much people have .. just wondering.. many people I know that would have been better of than me in the boom.. have admitted there going week to week.. !!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

i,m afraid its been week to week for me for a long time!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 davidholla

It all depends where you live, any dependents etc. I earn 30k in Kilkenny at 25, rent a house(550PM), nice car, can go out drinking on weekends and save money. In Dublin I wouldn't be able to live on it because of the prices of rent.

I left Dublin to move to Kilkenny, best decision of my life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭El Gato

In my sector (IT/Software Engineering) the avg starting salary is circa €28k for a grad entering a grad programme with most of the well known large companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

52% of income earned after €32,800 is lost
    Vat rate of 23%,
    DIRT rate of 33%
    stealth taxes - water, property, motor tax etc.

Essentially so much our income after the SRCOP is taken that it kind of becomes an equaliser of sorts.

Net income from €32.8k is €26,613.20
    But a person earning €40k gross gets to keep €30k net
    And a person earning €50k gross gets to keep €34.8k net

So for all the extra responsibility and pressure which that €50k job demands, you're not even 8k per year better off than the person earning €32k.

This is why I personally don't see the point in worker harder or taking on more responsibility or pressure once you reach the SRCOP.
    There is insignificant financial incentive to work harder past that point.

• Advertisement

El Gato wrote: »
    In my sector (IT/Software Engineering) the avg starting salary is circa €28k for a grad entering a grad programme with most of the well known large companies.

Is that net or gross?

Carlowgirl wrote: »
    Is that net or gross?

Gross

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Vat rate of 23%,
    DIRT rate of 33%

Essentially so much our income after the SRCOP is taken that it kind of becomes an equaliser of sorts.

So for all the extra responsibility and pressure which that €50k job demands, you're not even 8k per year better off than the person earning €32k.

This is why I personally don't see the point in worker harder or taking on more responsibility or pressure once you reach the SRCOP.
    Basically if your were on 32,800 you would be better off asking your boss to lower your wage to 31.5K...
    Are you saying someone on say 31.5 is better off than someone earning a couple of grand over that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Vat rate of 23%,
    DIRT rate of 33%

Yes but it takes a certain amount to get to a wage were you can live comfortably and then anything after that can be spent on luxuries and can make a big difference if you have a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Great document detailing salaries in Irish industry here

davidholla wrote: »
    It all depends where you live, any dependents etc. I earn 30k in Kilkenny at 25, rent a house(550PM), nice car, can go out drinking on weekends and save money. In Dublin I wouldn't be able to live on it because of the prices of rent.

I left Dublin to move to Kilkenny, best decision of my life!

thanks for your reply.. yes my friend is living in Dublin earning about 15 e an hour but paying 850 a month for a two bed apartment... she shares with her partner.. her half of the rent is nearly our total amount of rent for a four bed house in a village...
    If we buy a house our mortgage will be less than our rent now also..

good for you choosing quality of life over a rat race !!!kk is not too far from Dublin anyway !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Some figures:
    •33% of households have a gross income of less than €30,000;
    •56% of households have a gross income of less than €50,000;
    •62% of households have a gross income below the mean household income;
    •The top 20% of households have a gross income of more than €80,000 per annum;
    •14% of household have a gross income above €100,000 per annum; and
    •2% of households have gross incomes above €200,000 per annum.

This is what actual real households are earning in this country today. €30k is actually a pretty decent wage elsewhere in the EU but our cost base is so out of whack here that a couple would struggle to get by on it, let alone a family.

Great document detailing salaries in Irish industry here

thanks had a quick look
    going by one of my temporary jobs the figures were actually way higher there... on the list... might still be doing it if I was on that wage.. but its a good guideline thanks

gaius c wrote: »
    Some figures:
    •33% of households have a gross income of less than €30,000;
    •56% of households have a gross income of less than €50,000;
    •62% of households have a gross income below the mean household income;
    •The top 20% of households have a gross income of more than €80,000 per annum;
    •14% of household have a gross income above €100,000 per annum; and
    •2% of households have gross incomes above €200,000 per annum.

This is what actual real households are earning in this country today. €30k is actually a pretty decent wage elsewhere in the EU but our cost base is so out of whack here that a couple would struggle to get by on it, let alone a family.

So 62 % of us are broke basically !!!
    Is it ever going to end!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

cant even get the €8.65 per hour jobs! €188 is the norm for many now (myself included), and i fear the way things are heading that will have to be reduced as we just cant afford it and the people who are in work getting hammered with taxes can give no more to the government to help fund SW etc and i wouldnt expect them too.

Care to elaborate what these "freebies" are?

Just interested to know because I'm on a tenner an hour and am entitled to nothing.

Edit

Sorry quoted you in error, post was for Damintheatic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

CSO earnings data:

http://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/earnings/

Average hourly earnings are 22.31.

Average weekly earnings are 697.

See this:

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/earnings/2013/earnlabcosts_q12013.pdf

Geuze wrote: »
    CSO earnings data:

http://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/earnings/

Average hourly earnings are 22.31.

Average weekly earnings are 697.

See this:

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/earnings/2013/earnlabcosts_q12013.pdf

I really love when the CSO comes out with these figures.

Independent studies show that over 60% of the population are below the 'national average'

If you take the average hourly earnings, the average annual salary is €46,404.80 (based on a 40 hour week) but if you take the average weekly rate, the figure is €36,244. (which would make the average hourly rate 17.43)

Just goes to show number may be manipulated to suit.

Would be interesting to see, in reality, how many PAYE earners are getting almost €700 per week

• Registered Users Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I don't see how average annual salary can be calculated from average hour earnings without the total number of hours worked (or those reported to have been worked at least)?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 davidholla

Top 20% of the country who earn a lot of money will bring those figures way up

Sleepy wrote: »
    I don't see how average annual salary can be calculated from average hour earnings without the total number of hours worked (or those reported to have been worked at least)?

I simply averaged it at a 40 hour week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

I really love when the CSO comes out with these figures.

Independent studies show that over 60% of the population are below the 'national average'

k
    Hard to call the Nevin institute independent.

Rember in an ideal world 50% of people would be below average. . Bit like saying 50% of people are below average intelligence. Of course they are but it can take a second or two to accept that.

In the same way saying 60% of the population are below national average sounds high but isn't really. Especially as this figure includes the unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Carlowgirl wrote: »
    So 62 % of us are broke basically !!!
    Is it ever going to end!

Just goes to show just how few people earn the 70-80k that most of my peers (engineers) seem to consider their measure of acceptable household wage.

OMD wrote: »
    Hard to call the Nevin institute independent.

Rember in an ideal world 50% of people would be below average. . Bit like saying 50% of people are below average intelligence. Of course they are but it can take a second or two to accept that.

In the same way saying 60% of the population are below national average sounds high but isn't really. Especially as this figure includes the unemployed.

Wasn't referring to the Nevin institute tbh.

In relation to the figures, I'm pretty sure the unemployed are not included in the salary/wage figures as they don't actually have either but income on the other hand is a different thing and earned income is different again.

By including unemployed in these figures it should skew the figures negatively as €188 income per week is one third the national average (according to the €697 figure)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

Wasn't referring to the Nevin institute tbh.

In relation to the figures, I'm pretty sure the unemployed are not included in the salary/wage figures as they don't actually have either but income on the other hand is a different thing and earned income is different again.

By including unemployed in these figures it should skew the figures negatively as €188 income per week is one third the national average (according to the €697 figure)
    What figures were you talking about then? The earlier figures that said 62% had incomes below the national average was from Nevin Institute. Those figures included unemployed.

Had you different figures?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

davidholla wrote: »
    Top 20% of the country who earn a lot of money will bring those figures way up

Also you can't look solely at income as a measure of wealth - it ignores assets (which are criminally undertaxed compared to income)

Advertisement