Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A compulsory 'Broadcast tax' next on the list for homes in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

VinLieger wrote: »
    RTE is run on a break even basis? Are you kidding me? That may be the "official" stance but its no where near the truth. Also the fact that this new licensing system will provide them with more money effectively amounts to a bailout.

RTE's break-even basis is reflected by the fact that it, eh, broke even, before the arse fell out of the economy (and when they paid Pat and Tubridy etc twice what they currently pay them). That's both 'official' and truthful. The new licencing system won't cost you a cent more than the current TV licence costs.

SamHall wrote: »
    poll taxes on the other hand. .......;)

Some make a stand

Heh. All that big talk about refusing to pay your property tax was just guff in the wind. How surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

alastair wrote: »
    Heh. All that big talk about refusing to pay your property tax was just guff in the wind. How surprising.

but I didn't pay mine:confused:

I'm making a stand just like you did compadre.

but I didn't pay mine:confused:

I'm making a stand just like you did compadre.

Excellent! Enjoy paying above the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi there
    TV3, for all their alleged commercial basis, have repeatedly looked for the Govt to subsidise them by giving them a share of the license fee............this kind of broadcast tax already exists in other EU countries, such as France. They, at least, have the cop-on to allow exemptions when a person can prove that they do not have reception facilities, such as those who have no TV, radio or electronic media (flat earthers such as the off-grid types). I will take a great deal of pleasure in seeing Rabbitte's perpetually grumpy head ****ed out by the electorate, next time around.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

RTE's break-even basis is reflected by the fact that it, eh, broke even, before the arse fell out of the economy (and when they paid Pat and Tubridy etc twice what they currently pay them). That's both 'official' and truthful. The new licencing system won't cost you a cent more than the current TV licence costs.

Having to resort to bank loans to cover up over spending does not amount to "break even" in my book

http://namawinelake.wordpress.com/2013/04/14/just-how-bad-are-rtes-finances/

Excellent! Enjoy paying above the odds.

Not a dickie bird yet.

I paid my stamp duty in 06/07
    I pay my TV license (because I own a tv)

Let them forcibly take it from me. remind me how that went against non payers of the hhc?

Having to resort to bank loans to cover up over spending does not amount to "break even" in my book

http://namawinelake.wordpress.com/2013/04/14/just-how-bad-are-rtes-finances/

What has any of that got to do with RTE's 2008 finances? They last broke even then - before the downturn kicked in. Have the good grace to admit you simply got it wrong on their budgeting basis.

Let them forcibly take it from me. remind me how that went against non payers of the hhc?

Oh, they'll take it from you alright. The HHC (plus a bonus extra €100) will be added to your accrued late payment fees by the Revenue - surely that reality has sunk in by now?

http://www.thejournal.ie/household-charge-linked-to-property-tax-735542-Jan2013/

What has any of that got to do with RTE's 2008 finances? They last broke even then - before the downturn kicked in. Have the good grace to admit you simply got it wrong on their budgeting basis.

Yes and they were still living in imaginary land till last year before they brought down their big names salaries to what still wouldnt be considered acceptable by the majority of irish tax payers i would wager. The management simply dont live in the same reality as the rest of the country. Ive said it before that if they provided an even half decent service id have no problem paying but they dont by any stretch of the imagination.
    And you can keep going on how its the law and all that but that still doesnt mean its the right way to go about doing it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Oh, they'll take it from you alright. The HHC (plus a bonus extra €100) will be added to your accrued late payment fees by the Revenue - surely that reality has sunk in by now?

http://www.thejournal.ie/household-charge-linked-to-property-tax-735542-Jan2013/

'tis nearly 1 and a half years since every council worker in the country was out with their clipboards collecting the HHC, i think ill take my chances...

Yes and they were still living in imaginary land till last year before they brought down their big names salaries to what still wouldnt be considered acceptable by the majority of irish tax payers i would wager. The management simply dont live in the same reality as the rest of the country. Ive said it before that if they provided an even half decent service id have no problem paying but they dont by any stretch of the imagination.
    And you can keep going on how its the law and all that but that still doesnt mean its the right way to go about doing it

They first brought down the big salaries in 2009. They're on their second (or third?) round of reductions at this stage. The only imaginary land evident here is the one you live in if you can't accept that RTE is operated on a break-even basis.

If your only concern is the quality of their service, then that's a different matter. Quite how everyone is supposed to agree about what constitutes a 'half decent service' might pose a problem there - and they still get a massive audience, so they're seemingly doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭philc1974

Just when I thought they couldnt get any more closer to a dictatorship these clowns in Govt have decided that they will start charging each household on the country a 'broadcasting charge', and that it will apply regardless of whether you have a television, computer or any other device that can pick up public information.:confused:

(Even applies to pwople who have none of the above)

Will they decide next that everyone should pay motor tax regardless if you own a car, 'as everyone has access to the roads'?
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/every-single-home-to-be-hit-with-new-broadcasting-charge-29428338.html

Incidentally I pay my TV license each year and on time voluntarily, but I always had a choice.
    If I thought RTE was getting worse (if that was possible) I had the option to chuck the tv out, and watch non RTE shows via a laptop or xbox. This charge takes away one more of my choices I had, and how my hard earned cash is spent.

Keep it up Pat.

You're finished politically regardless, this will just give the disllusioned further reason to oust your dictating coalition come the G.E.

The reality is he gets his 150,000 a year pension...that little fat **** who canvassed endlessly for years for the "people" is having a good laugh at us....go the same route as the household tax, no consent, no pay

bgrizzley wrote: »
    'tis nearly 1 and a half years since every council worker in the country was out with their clipboards collecting the HHC, i think ill take my chances...

Revenue are only getting going this month. I'd start the countdown from now, not a year and half ago. Remember that's €200 for your HHC - special price for you.

philc1974 wrote: »
    go the same route as the household tax, no consent, no pay

Yeah - that's worked a charm. :D

Revenue are only getting going this month. I'd start the countdown from now, not a year and half ago. Remember that's €200 for your HHC - special price for you.

i doubt they will ever get it, but who knows.
    if they do manage it will cost them a lot more than E200.

i doubt they will ever get it, but who knows.
    if they do manage it will cost them a lot more than E200.

I doubt it - garnishing your wages doesn't cost much.

I doubt it - garnishing your wages doesn't cost much.

you reckon? i write the pay cheques here bud.;)

you reckon? i write the pay cheques here bud.;)

Heh - you've some interest in retaining your tax clearance cert then. :D

Face it - you're screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

excuse my shouting but EVERYONE WAS TOLD WHEN THEY SIGNED UP FOR THE HOUSEHOLD CHARGE THAT IT WAS GOING TO BE USED AS A REGISTER FOR FURTHER LEINS BEING PLACED ON YOUR HOME :mad: the solution was not to register which has worked a treat for the 160000 odd people who told them to go to hell & bring their uncivil servants along for the spin..

• Advertisement

God thats some attuitude, so just bend over, shut up and take it is your advice?

:rolleyes: Hmmm. Denying people the ability to make more money to pay more substantial taxes, sound a legit, well thought out scheme, i must say.

anyhoo, tcc or no, i'll always be able to make enough to survive, i'm not greedy. :)

:rolleyes: Hmmm. Denying people the ability to make more money to pay more substantial taxes, sound a legit, well thought out scheme, i must say.

Hang on - let me get the world's smallest violin.
    Honestly! Such guff.

Hoffmans wrote: »
    excuse my shouting but EVERYONE WAS TOLD WHEN THEY SIGNED UP FOR THE HOUSEHOLD CHARGE THAT IT WAS GOING TO BE USED AS A REGISTER FOR FURTHER LEINS BEING PLACED ON YOUR HOME :mad: the solution was not to register which has worked a treat for the 160000 odd people who told them to go to hell & bring their uncivil servants along for the spin..

It's worked a treat alright. Oh wait... :p

God thats some attuitude, so just bend over, shut up and take it is your advice?

Embrace it - this state needs your taxes. Try to look beyond selfishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Pat Rabbitte has jumped the gun a bit. The legislation clearly requires the household to own a TV tuner device before the tax is applicable. If he's saying he thinks public broadcasting should be supported by all householders, then that's a separate campaign/goal to the terms of the revised TV licence tax structure - which explicitly excludes radios, mobile phones, PDA's etc - in fact pretty much everything that is either hand-held, or lacks a TV tuner. If he means that he doubts many households won't be liable under the existing terms, then he's probably right - but not articulating his belief very well.

He's bringing in new legislation to charge every household regardless of equipment.

Hang on - let me get the world's smallest violin.
    Honestly! Such guff.

How is it guff? Would you refuse E1000 cause someone owed you E100?
    You really will defend any level of stupidity...

oh, and heres a coin for your violin case :) *flick

Almost 2 years on from the hhc and not one bank account pillaged, not a utility bill doctored, and not a householder prosecuted.

For some strange reason I'm not too worried Alastair.

Didn't you refuse to pay a poll tax? Did the threats of the day worry you lol?

Almost 2 years on from the hhc and not one bank account pillaged, not a utility bill doctored, and not a householder prosecuted.

For some strange reason I'm not too worried Alastair.

It is strange - given that you know that the Revenue stated clearly that they wouldn't start enforcing recovery until this very month. You'd have to have been pretty imaginative to expect anything before now. Don't expect much in the way of prosecutions either - they don't need to go that far - garnishing wages / social welfare, and withholding tax clearance certs does the job much more efficiently.

• Advertisement

Didn't you refuse to pay a poll tax? Did the threats of the day worry you lol?

If you expect a general revolt against property tax, you'll be waiting a long time. The property tax is no poll tax. People were quite happy to continue paying their property tax, while opposing a change to a poll tax. And I fully expected to have to pay - I'd suggest you re-adjust your thinking to the reality of the situation.

You'll pay up in the end - with the penalties for your choices.

Advertisement