Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A compulsory 'Broadcast tax' next on the list for homes in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

listermint wrote: »
    The simple facts are we shouldnt be guaranteeing exchequer funds to these schemes that are in turmoil. And we are doing that. Its a two tier system making me pay for the mismanagement of your scheme. So yes i feel entirely second class.

It's not my scheme. And clearly it's not the scheme you suggest it is either.

bumper234 wrote: »
    This,

Sack them all and bring in new talent or let them renegotiate their contracts to a much lower paying one.

It was pretty well publicised that all the celeb broadcaster private contractors took substantial cuts when their contracts came up for renewal/negotiation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

alastair wrote: »
    It was pretty well publicised that all the celeb broadcaster private contractors took substantial cuts when their contracts came up for renewal/negotiation.

The poor dears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Yet RTE are still bleeding money so now it's time for something new. Other businesses do this every day of the week it's called trimming the fat so i don't see why RTE shouldn't be doing the same.

SamHall wrote: »
    Yeah and as such their enormous salaries are paid to the 'companies' they are 'employees' of.

Which technically means pat and Co pay relatively little into the revenue coffers compared to average Joe the paye worker.

and the govt want to criminalise tax payers who don't want to fund their lifestyles?

You're actually defending this?

Exactly the same is true for any company. There's not much to defend there - unless you believe Pat's guilty of some sort of tax evasion?

• Advertisement

Yet RTE are still bleeding money so now it's time for something new. Other businesses do this every day of the week it's called trimming the fat so i don't see why RTE shouldn't be doing the same.

You believe they're not doing exactly that?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

SamHall wrote: »
    I never mentioned Pat Kenny.

My levy suggestion applied to all the rte staff on exorbitant salaries aand pensions.

interesting that pat is hired as a contractor though.

They'd avail of corporation tax I presume?

Avail of corporation tax? Eh, yeah, but to get the money out of the company you have to pay income tax the same as everyone else. The best you can do is, pay yourself whatever you need to live on, declare the leftover as company profit, pay the corporation tax on that, and invest it somewhere (you'll still pay some tax on all earnings from investment), then later on, say after retirement you can pay yourself a wage again but you'll end up paying income tax. There's a small benefit as you'll get to charge a small number of things to the company, perhaps a PC, a phone if you can justify that etc. But normally you can't charge most of your living expenses to the company (unless you work to live and are always away from home working short term contracts perhaps), so it's not a huge gain.

It doesn't make sense unless you're earning substantially over 100k a year though. The accountant fees etc will eat too much into any tax saving otherwise. You're also gambling on the lower rate of tax not increasing much over the medium term.

You believe they're not doing exactly that?

Not to the extent where they have stopped hemorrhaging the tax payers money.

Not to the extent where they have stopped hemorrhaging the tax payers money.

They've taken exactly the same amount of tax payers money for years. When did it become a 'haemorrhage' rather than just an annual overhead?

They've taken exactly the same amount of tax payers money for years. When did it become a 'haemorrhage' rather than just an annual overhead?

In case you haven't heard we are in recession and there is 400k on the dole so there's a bit less tax money coming in and a few extra billion going out on dole money so we can't really afford to paid to pay these "DJ's" what they used to get.

• Advertisement

In case you haven't heard we are in recession and there is 400k on the dole so there's a bit less tax money coming in and a few extra billion going out on dole money so we can't really afford to paid to pay these "DJ's" what they used to get.

So... no 'haemorrhage' then?

Shutting up shop at RTE completely (and assuming no-one became unemployed as a consequence, or required their pension paid) would cover a bit more than forthnight's worth of dole - at best.

So... no 'haemorrhage' then?

You tell me. What is the magic number where it stops being an operating loss and becomes a bottomless pit?

http://namawinelake.wordpress.com/2013/04/14/just-how-bad-are-rtes-finances/

For every €160 in licence fee we received from you in 2011, not only did we spend all that but we ran up an extra €61 in losses which we are funding with bank loans” The RTE promotional advertisement that you’re unlikely to hear, but with total losses of €69.7m in 2011 after receiving €183.6m in licence fee income, RTE spent ALL the licence fee and ran up losses equivalent to €61 for each of the 1,148,000 homes that paid €160

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/media-and-marketing/star-salaries-at-rt%C3%A9-were-financially-unsustainable-and-offensive-to-many-1.1341003

For a public service broadcaster that was on track to record an estimated deficit of almost €60 million last year, the “star” salaries at RTÉ were not only financially unsustainable, they were (and remain) offensive to many licence-fee payers

You tell me. What is the magic number where it stops being an operating loss and becomes a bottomless pit?

Again - the taxpayer hasn't been asked anything more to support RTE - the principle of public broadcasting is that the taxpayer supports it - to that extent every public broadcaster is a 'bottomless pit'. Bottom line however is that RTE aren't 'hemorrhaging the tax payers money' - they're taking and using the same amount as they have in previous years. How they choose to spend that money is a different matter.

Again - the taxpayer hasn't been asked anything more to support RTE - the principle of public broadcasting is that the taxpayer supports it - to that extent every public broadcaster is a 'bottomless pit'. Bottom line however is that RTE aren't 'hemorrhaging the tax payers money' - they're taking and using the same amount as they have in previous years. How they choose to spend that money is a different matter.

They choose to spend it on overpaid overrated "stars" they also get money from advertisements and government funding. yet they STILL make a loss

They choose to spend it on overpaid overrated "stars" they also get money from advertisements and government funding. yet they STILL make a loss

Their 'overrated stars' have taken a 40% cut in pay. And show me the advertising dependent media that isn't currently making a loss?

Their 'overrated stars' have taken a 40% cut in pay. And show me the advertising dependent media that isn't currently making a loss?

And 400,000 people in this country have taken a 100% cut yet they are still expected to hand over the equivalent of a weeks dole money so Tubridy, Kenny et al can still live the high life for.....:confused:

And 400,000 people in this country have taken a 100% cut yet they are still expected to hand over the equivalent of a weeks dole money so Tubridy, Kenny et al can still live the high life for.....:confused:

RTE could fire Pat and Tubridy, and the TV licence would remain exactly the same - admit it - you're simply not going to be happy with anything RTE do, are you?

RTE could fire Pat and Tubridy, and the TV licence would remain exactly the same - admit it - you're simply not going to be happy with anything RTE do, are you?

They could also do a lot more to save money and then the government wouldn't have to prop them up.

They could also do a lot more to save money and then the government wouldn't have to prop them up.

It's public service broadcasting - the government will always have to 'prop them up'. It's the same story everywhere.

It's public service broadcasting - the government will always have to 'prop them up'. It's the same story everywhere.

Really? You say no public broadcasting company makes a profit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Paying for caviar and getting mackerel.
    Bulldoze RTE and improve the mood of the people once their eyes, ears and pockets are no longer afflicted.

Really? You say no public broadcasting company makes a profit?

Show me a public service broadcaster that isn't 'propped up' by a tax - local or national.

mikom wrote: »
    Bulldoze RTE and improve the mood of the people once their eyes, ears and pockets are no longer afflicted.

It must be loon season. Still bitter about having to pay your property tax?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

keep rte but tell us the flipping truth or at the very least tell us what's happening if it effects us!! i'll never pay for censorship!!

I thought ye didn't watch or listen to all that rubbish anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Show me a public service broadcaster that isn't 'propped up' by a tax - local or national.

Theres a difference between simply being propped up while operating within budget and being propped up and having a deficit of 60 million, every other tv, radio station or website in the country operates with the intention to at least break even if not make a profit therefore staying within budget is a neccessity, RTE will always have the government to fall back on so they dont feel the need to stay in budget thats the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

I sometimes think that if the government came out with a tax on babies tears the same few names would be gleefully posting advice on the Grabbing Sweeties thread...

VinLieger wrote: »
    Theres a difference between simply being propped up while operating within budget and being propped up and having a deficit of 60 million, every other tv, radio station or website in the country operates with the intention to at least break even if not make a profit therefore staying within budget is a neccessity, RTE will always have the government to fall back on so they dont feel the need to stay in budget thats the problem

Rubbish. RTE is run on a break-even basis. TV3 has a clear for-profit basis - and is also running a deficit despite operating on threadbare budget. RTE costs a lot to run - regardless of whether they make fantastic decisions on what they pay, and where they spend their money, or not - and that requires two components - their TV licence funded subvention - which has been at a constant level for years, and advertising revenue, which is under huge pressure for all broadcasters - and that's where the shortfall exists. Does that deficit have any impact on state expenditure? No it hasn't to date, and there's nothing to suggest that it will require any state bail-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Rubbish. RTE is run on a break-even basis. TV3 has a clear for-profit basis - and is also running a deficit despite operating on threadbare budget. RTE costs a lot to run - regardless of whether they make fantastic decisions on what they pay, and where they spend their money, or not - and that requires two components - their TV licence funded subvention - which has been at a constant level for years, and advertising revenue, which is under huge pressure for all broadcasters - and that's where the shortfall exists. Does that deficit have any impact on state expenditure? No it hasn't to date, and there's nothing to suggest that it will require any state bail-out.

RTE is run on a break even basis? Are you kidding me? That may be the "official" stance but its no where near the truth. Also the fact that this new licensing system will provide them with more money effectively amounts to a bailout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

bgrizzley wrote: »
    I sometimes think that if the government came out with a tax on babies tears the same few names would be gleefully posting advice on the Grabbing Sweeties thread...

poll taxes on the other hand. .......;)

Some make a stand

Advertisement