Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why was Garth Brooks so popular in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Are all the Garth Brooks fans vegetarians because no one has mentioned Bacon, isn't Bacon and cabbage the norm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

WikiHow wrote: »
    Are all the Garth Brooks fans vegetarians because no one has mentioned Bacon, isn't Bacon and cabbage the norm?

Yes...and silage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

WikiHow wrote: »
    Is one Direction playing 3 nights? no wonder the residents are going mad.

Cancel one direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭PippaChic

Cancel one direction.

Noooooooo, my girls will be heartbroken :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

seamus wrote: »
    Actually a massive chunk of Oasis's most popular stuff (i.e. the early stuff) relied heavily on the blues scales, and a lot of Noel's solos in those songs are just variations on the same set of notes in those scales (pentatonic primarily). Combined with very simple and clear beat patterns from the drums and bass, gives a nice bluesy feel.

"Cigarettes and Alcohol" is also a based entirely on a very common blues riff which appears in many other older songs.

Blur, not so much, which is probably why they were less popular. People find Bluesy tunes very accessible.

But that's waay off topic.

Noel ripped the Cigarettes and Alcohol riff straight from a T Rex tune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

What's the story with Garth Brooks, why did people queue over night and not just get em online?

Gomies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

Jeez dunno hi.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

What's the story with Garth Brooks, why did people queue over night and not just get em online?

Gomies
    Hi Gomies!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I have no idea, people just seem to love posting Garth Brooks threads on AH. If only we had a Country Music forum...:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

What's all the fuss about?

A black Spurs striker from the 1980s playing in Croke Park?

No big deal!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

In before the lock. Up Garth.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Garth Brooks is playing? when was this announced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

How come nobody has started any Garth Brooks related threads yet :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Plazaman wrote: »
    In before the lock. Up Garth.

Wayne ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

27th night announced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Whats so "Special" about Brooks?

Nemeses wrote: »
    Whats so "Special" about Brooks?
    Spent 50 years in Shawshank and couldnt cope with the changes in the outside world after his release!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I'm a proud Donegal man but I'd rather stick knitting needles in my ears than see Gareth Brooks live. Horrible cheesy, cringe music. Yuk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

According to the Examiner 70,000 of the Garth Brooks tickets have been snapped up by foreigners with 8 tickets being bought in Afghanistan!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2014/0214/ireland/70000-garth-brooks-fans-to-travel-from-overseas-for-croker-shows-258724.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

zetalambda wrote: »
    According to the Examiner 70,000 of the Garth Brooks tickets have been snapped up by foreigners with 8 tickets being bought in Afghanistan!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2014/0214/ireland/70000-garth-brooks-fans-to-travel-from-overseas-for-croker-shows-258724.html

The Afghanistan tickets are probably bought by US soldiers or so it would seem. But one must not stereotype the local population as Taliban either. I know that next door in Iran, US country music and blues is very, very popular. I know Iran is a much richer and developed country than Afghanistan, but I'm sure that there also is a side to Afghanistan we are not informed about too.

Some people hate him, more love him, but Brooks has both now and in the 1990s created more excitement about gigs than anyone since Elvis, The Beatles and other 1950s/60s rock 'n' roll acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

Daniel O'Donnell's best friend no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭p_mac

GB is a legend! :D
    Sorry now.... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

p_mac wrote: »
    GB is a legend! :D
    Sorry now.... lol

Lol indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

He is not so popular in one of my local pubs in Monaghan........:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 dalippy

bland middle of the road country and western.i didnt get it the 1st time and i was glad it was gone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 dalippy

Even as a child in 97 i couldnt understand why perfectly reasonable adults who i respected up to that point were fighting over tickets to garth brooks
    i remember my very dublin uncle saying to his sister."if you loved me you would give me that ticket"i remember thinking what the hell is going on here
    im still left thinking the same thing in 2014
    My personal opinion coming from somebody who plays and loves music is that if you are going to a garth brooks gig you have no real interest in music ..the only thing i can find comfort in is that like the previous postrr said its marginally better than the explosion of cardboard manufactered music talent shows

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

The idea concerns the fact that this country wants nostalgia. They want to go back as far as they can - even if it's only as far as last week. Not to face now or tomorrow, but to face backwards. And yesterday was the day of our cinema heroes riding to the rescue at the last possible moment. The day of the man in the white hat or the man on the white horse - or the man who always came to save America at the last moment - someone always came to save America at the last moment - especially in "B" movies. And when America found itself having a hard time facing the future, they looked for people like John Wayne. But since John Wayne was no longer available, they settled for Ronald Reagan and it has placed us in a situation that we can only look at -like a "B" movie.

Gil Scott Heron-B-Movie

Nostalgia. It's nostalgia for an act that was nostalgic for oldtime country singers who themselves were nostalgic for a mythic America that existed only in stories and films, a place where things were simpler, fairer and whiter. His popularity in Ireland stems from the rural grudge against Dublin as the former seat of their oppressors, (hey he's a country singer, we're from the countryside, this is our music)-a theme you can see running throughout the main thread here about the concert-and has lingered as a manifestation of the rural resistance to modernity and their belligerence towards the different.

sabat wrote: »
    His popularity in Ireland stems from the rural grudge against Dublin as the former seat of their oppressors, (hey he's a country singer, we're from the countryside, this is our music)-a theme you can see running throughout the main thread here about the concert-and has lingered as a manifestation of the rural resistance to modernity and their belligerence towards the different.
    Possibly the greatest pile of **** I've ever read on Boards.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Sodeepithurts

sabat wrote: »
    Gil Scott Heron-B-Movie

Nostalgia. It's nostalgia for an act that was nostalgic for oldtime country singers who themselves were nostalgic for a mythic America that existed only in stories and films, a place where things were simpler, fairer and whiter. His popularity in Ireland stems from the rural grudge against Dublin as the former seat of their oppressors, (hey he's a country singer, we're from the countryside, this is our music)-a theme you can see running throughout the main thread here about the concert-and has lingered as a manifestation of the rural resistance to modernity and their belligerence towards the different.

I admire your eloquence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement