Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why was Garth Brooks so popular in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

WikiHow wrote: »
    Who will milk the cows for the 5 days of the concerts?
    LOL!!! Do you seriously think that human intervention is still required in dairy farming? The entire process has been mechanised and automated for 20 years. This means country folk have time for more pressing matters, such as running the country and policing the junkie population of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

LOL!!! Do you seriously think that human intervention is still required in dairy farming? The entire process has been mechanised and automated for 20 years. This means country folk have time for more pressing matters, such as ruining the country and policing the junkie population of Dublin.

Much better

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

-The bluesier rock acts: The Oasis and Blur. Here we saw a form of pop music that had respect for blues, older R&B, 1950s rock 'n' roll, and especially 1960s Beatles-style music. What they did was often excellent: fresh and appealed to an audience sick of hearing the same pop sounds over and over.
    -but some loved it and others didn't.

I don't see anything bluesy about Oasis or Blur at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

WikiHow wrote: »
    How much compensation would a house normally get?

Usually nothing. The residents are given a certain number of tickets for each concert and houses are pulled out of a hat basically. The idea being that every house gets to go to a concert for free every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Suas11 wrote: »
    I don't see anything bluesy about Oasis or Blur at all.
    Actually a massive chunk of Oasis's most popular stuff (i.e. the early stuff) relied heavily on the blues scales, and a lot of Noel's solos in those songs are just variations on the same set of notes in those scales (pentatonic primarily). Combined with very simple and clear beat patterns from the drums and bass, gives a nice bluesy feel.

"Cigarettes and Alcohol" is also a based entirely on a very common blues riff which appears in many other older songs.

Blur, not so much, which is probably why they were less popular. People find Bluesy tunes very accessible.

But that's waay off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭bockeys jollocks

You should be glad to see people coming up from the country at least the percentage of scumbags, junkies and general scobes per head of population in Dublin will decrease marginally for a few days.

It will be marginally though, as it would take a lot more than 5 fills of croke park to dilute the unwashed population of the capitol in any meaningful way.

I'm from the country and I'm upset! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Maybe I'm wrong but are the residents kicking up a fuss about big crowds coming to and from a stadium that was clearly there when they bought their house?

Croke Park has been there for over 100 years, surely residents would have to assume that large amounts of people may be passing close by from time to time and bought their house anyway

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm wrong but are the residents kicking up a fuss about big crowds coming to and from a stadium that was clearly there when they bought their house?

Croke Park has been there for over 100 years, surely residents would have to assume that large amounts of people may be passing close by from time to time and bought their house anyway

Most of those residents and hereditary families have been there for that time, let's face it, the Leinster final in the 40's and 50's wouldn't have brought the same crowd. The brushing of cabbage leaves back then will be nothing like the tsunami this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

If it will be a wet year the growth of cabbage will be slow, people will need to find another vegetable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I hope they announce a sixth and seventh gig. To get all the residents worked up.

Then five wouldn't be too bad compared to seven.

And then cancell them to leave the residents happy and we get our five.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

I'm from the country and I'm upset! ;)

Why are you upset if your a bogger as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Fair play to the residents, don't blame them for not wanting to have to suffer that rubbish for five consecutive nights.

Garth Brooks and One Direction in the same year, they must be wondering what they've done wrong to have that inflicted on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Croke park was there before any of the residents were even born. Seriously, if you don't like it, move. Bloody whingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

There will be riots if these gigs dont get the go ahead.

Then we should head up and camp outside croker. And i'll be the first one there.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭sum41dude

Are all 5 dates completely sold out now, seating and standing?

omega666 wrote: »
    Why are you upset if your a bogger as well?

Cabáiste

sum41dude wrote: »
    Are all 5 dates completely sold out now, seating and standing?

They are, people are stone mad for Garth Brooks, if there was 25 dates they would be sold out.

Ohh be gohhra 'twas a great concert Seamus, did ya see Kathleen line dancin' all night? BE JAYZUS.......'twas suckin' daehsal all night.... Jaysus begorrah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭RiverOfLove

I missed out on tickets last week. I was very upset. I was happy with the extra date added on monday. I got my ass into a queue yesterday and queued for over 14 hours, freezing my ass off and it was worth it. I got two tickets this morning.

I work hard and this will be the only event that I'm going to and looking forward to very much.

It's real dampener hearing the latest news and the fuss around croke park.

Fúcking dry sh1tehawks.

It's an honour to have Garth Brooks pick Ireland for a comeback special.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I missed out on tickets last week. I was very upset. I was happy with the extra date added on monday. I got my ass into a queue yesterday and queued for over 14 hours, freezing my ass off and it was worth it. I got two tickets this morning.

I work hard and this will be the only event that I'm going to and looking forward to very much.

It's real dampener hearing the latest news and the fuss around croke park.

Fúcking dry sh1tehawks.

It's an honour to have Garth Brooks pick Ireland for a comeback special.

I'm delighted you got your tickets :)

Don't worry, it'll all be ok.

Roll on July :D

• Advertisement

Chucken wrote: »
    I'm delighted you got your tickets :)

Don't worry, it'll all be ok.

Roll on July :D

Thanks Chucken, I got your pm. I meant to reply back to you but didn't get around to doing it yet. Had a hard night last night queuing out but it was all good. Am exhausted now because had to go to work after with feck all sleep.

Am going straight to bed now.

Am going straight to bed now.

Good night. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,979 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

id say summer 2015 he will do other irish venues such as Kilkenny, limerick, Belfast etc

If he was to do an o2 show it would be cool and would be intimate compared to 80000 in croke park

there will be people going to the shows who know **** all about garth brooks and are just there because everyone else is going and will ruin the shows for true fans by talking, getting drunk, starting fights etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭secman

kwestfan08 wrote: »

Croke Park is a sports stadium and having to listen to that drivel noise over 5 consecutive nights for me would be pure torture and I jest not. And that is why there are conditions attached to the planning permission to run concerts there. The promoter has not even applied for the 5 permits, the 3 1Direction gigs being the 3 allowed under the conditions of the planning permission. Offering the residents tickets is an insult .

Is one Direction playing 3 nights? no wonder the residents are going mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Why is this thread still "was"?

wil wrote: »
    Why is this thread still "was"?

I noticed that ages ago too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭secman

Looks like 100,000 bought multiple tickets over the 5 nights so Leitrim, Monaghan, Fermanagh and 674 others .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Mmmmmmmmmmmm cabbages. I love cabbage. Cabbage cabbage cabbage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement