Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supernatural - Season 9 *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

After 30 minutes of Flicking through Netflix and trying to find something to watch I decided to re-watch the death of Bobby episode. It really is just an exceptional piece of television and the lack of award recognition for Jim Beaver really is a disgrace. He's just exceptional in the episode and that final scene is heart breaking.

For the first time in awhile there's going to be a number of episodes of the show airing without a break. Starting toning, the last 6 episodes will air uninterrupted meaning that there's no more need to stockpile an episode every few weeks. The #thinman episode was the last I watched and it's ridiculous to think that between then and now only 2 episdoe have aired in a 6 week period.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

havnt finished tonights episode but at 10:50 long time fans will stop the episode and run around the room cheering with their t-shirt over their head until they run into the wall and knock themselves out.

then wake up 4 hours later and post on boards.ie's supernatural thread with great joy!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

And 20 minutes later you run into a wall from sheer crushing disappointment? :)

Great episode (if not a little pointless).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Mr E wrote: »
    And 20 minutes later you run into a wall from sheer crushing disappointment? :)

Great episode (if not a little pointless).

not so much disapointed but curious.

It goes a long way to explaining earlier actions of the season
    killing kevin has given Metatron the powers of Chuck, something I add I really enjoyed in season 5. So seeing them return was a another *yeah* moment.

I knew there was going to be some twist to Gabriel's return and revealing it to be *chuck* writing power is interesting as its not a power that creates illusions, in fact illusions are Gabriels power and chuck's writing predicted/created reality it's never quite clear which. And the blatant eyebrow wiggling to the question from gabriel is seeing this as a Red hood trope (fake out of a return of a character is followed up by a genuine return of that character). So perhaps we will get a proper return of the trickster later this season or next depending how this one plays out.

aside from that I get the feeling the angel plotline is looking at a long game running pass this season and the more immediate plot will be Abbadon and hell's civil war. This really did feel like an episode setting the pieces for a long arc while pretty much all the pieces for the hell plotline are already well established and on the move. So my prediction is the hell plotline will be mostly settled this season and the angel plotline will kick it up a notch next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Haha I wasn't the only one who punched the air when
    Gabriel
    appeared so I take it :D

Was worth the 2 week break just for that, almost :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

As soon as
    Casa Erotica
    came up I knew what was going to happen. Supernatural - where the dead just don't stay dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A really good episode. Sam and Dean showing how easy it is for them lose their humanity in that world if you don't have someone to give a good kick in arse every now and then.

All I have to say is:

"B!tch!" :D

It seems that next week will be the back-door pilot for the Spin-off show Supernatural: Bloodlines too so it'll be interesting to see how that goes. I really don't know what a Supernatural show without Sam and Dean will be like. It hasn't been officially picked up yet either so will need a good reception.

http://www.nerdist.com/2014/04/heres-your-first-look-at-the-cws-supernatural-bloodlines/

A promo for next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Aye, next week is the spinoff intro. I was hoping it was this week and we'd get a spinoff based on Jodi and the girl as hunters, but alas, not to be.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'd love a spin-off about Jody. She's one of the most fantastic female characters they've ever come up with.

Not really sure what to make of this one. I don't think I'll be counting down the days to the spin off if it happens that's for sure. To me it felt like they were just taking the p!ss out of the likes of the new Dallas and other glorified soaps really. The problem is that I don't think they were. It was just so cheesy and all the different romantic angles annoyed me. I know that it's a lot more like other CW shows. I'd assume it was similar to the Vampire Diaries or other stuff, which I haven't seen. Not really my cup of tea.

I know I'm stubborn but it just wasn't Supernatural to me, although I know doing the same thing wouldn't work either. I'm sure I'll give it a chance if it is picked up but I think they could do with anchoring a present character into the mix. Even somebody like Benny. I'd assume Sam and Dean will drop in and maybe Cas.

Chicago looked well though at least and we're back on track next week.

It didn't work for me.

It was a weak Supernatural episode so I really don't see it working as series in it's own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Bored.

I'm 4 weeks behind as I've not had the time and the whole week or two breaks annoyed me so much. Disappointed to see the negative reaction to the spin off, there was a graphic novel about a family of hunters in New York that was really well done and I'd hoped that they would adapt that but it seems that the spin off is aimed more at fans of Vampire Diaries than Supernatural fans. Shame, as the possibilities of an army of hunters in a major city is great, but as I said already in this thread the whole spin off sounds like a TV show of the Brandon Routh starring Dylan Dog film.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It was way too much soapy CW

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Definitely way too soapy. I was hoping they'd use this as a chance to go back to the darker, grittier feel of early Supernatural seasons, where any random monster was a genuine powerful and scary threat. But they went the exact opposite route, angsty teenage family melodrama.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That was pretty crap alright. Far too much Vampire Diaries/The Originals, and not enough Supernatural in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

stevenmu wrote: »
    Definitely way too soapy. I was hoping they'd use this as a chance to go back to the darker, grittier feel of early Supernatural seasons, where any random monster was a genuine powerful and scary threat. But they went the exact opposite route, angsty teenage family melodrama.

Buffy went the same way where she struggled with one vampire to taking on gods and even in the later series where she struggles with a prehistoric vampire that nearly killed her to then taking on an army of them :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

A bit flat and weak, really.

I'm two episodes behind, and I'm honestly not too bothered about catching up. This season doesn't have the fear that something will happen anymore. I mean, Sam and Dean could probably retire and not a hell of a lot would happen. I also haven't seen one positive review of the spin off.

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    I'm two episodes behind, and I'm honestly not too bothered about catching up. This season doesn't have the fear that something will happen anymore. I mean, Sam and Dean could probably retire and not a hell of a lot would happen. I also haven't seen one positive review of the spin off.

I think that the series to date has been damn good and while the momentum has slacked a little in recent weeks there's still a whole lot to enjoy here. And honestly, I'm loving that recent episodes have gone back to the monster of the week. All the mythology is great but sometimes all you really want is Sam and Dean kicking ass and wise cracking amongst themselves.

I think the problem with the spin off is that CW are trying to shoehorn the show into it's tried and tested formula. Supernatural is the anomaly on the network, a show without any real ongoing love story and one that appeals more to adults 25+ than it does 16 year old girls. Had the spinoff been done as something like Wise Guy or The Wire or pretty much any decent crime drama by ways of Supernatural then it could have been epic. As it stands it seems to be made by committee which is rarely a good thing though that said I'll wait till I see the episode in question and a few episodes of the subsequent show before writing it off.

A spin off would have worked a few seasons ago when Bobby and Ellen/Jo were alive that was a point in the series where other Hunters were shown alot and Ellen's bar was shown to be a meeting point/hidout for hunters.

I could have seen a spin off working from there.

But in the last few seasons other than Garth, Hunters have been a thing of the first five seasons of Supernatural so trying to shoe horn in shiny new Hunters just doesn't fit into the mythology of Supernatural anymore.

A spin off would have worked a few seasons ago when Bobby and Ellen/Jo were alive that that was a point in the series there were other Hunters shown alot and Ellen's bar was shown to be a meeting point/hidout for hunters.

I could have seen a spin off working from there.

But in the last few seasons other than Garth, Hunters have been a thing of the first five seasons of Supernatural so trying to shoe horn in shiny new Hunters just doesn't fit into the mythology of Supernatural anymore.

A spin off set in the past with a young Bobby and John could be epic. I've always wanted to see more of Bobby and how he became the man he was.

Next weeks trailer.. looks like its going to be a fun episode :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Yeah, it just didn't work. And I was skeptical about it for awhile. Supernatural is a WB show, whereas any spin-off of it will always be a CW show and The CW's target audience is 16 year old girls. Supernatural and Smallville were just kinda kept on when the network changed hands, but neither were expected to last long. Then they just happened to become the exception to the rule and for the last few years The CW has tried to re-create the magic of shows like Supernatural/Smallville, but have failed because they want to shoehorn in the soapy element which is The CW brand, but just won't work.

We should just be glad Supernatural is still going stong and The CW don't interfere with the format.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Felt it was just a pilot for a show unrelated to Supernatural with Sam and Dean coming in to give their stamp of approval. Like when was the last time they trusted a monster as quickly as they trusted David?

I used to watch Vampire Diaries and then tried The Originals. The Originals was just boring.

I know an episode of Arrow was meant to be like this to bring in The Flash, before they decided to give The Flash its own pilot.

You betrayed me?
    No one in the history of torture's been tortured with torture
    like the torture
    you'll be tortured with.
    vvv.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Crowley has been the only bright spot in this otherwise forgettable season. I'm glad its getting another season because I'd hate for it to end this way.

Advertisement