Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supernatural - Season 9 *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

Season 10 all but confirmed now!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Excellent episode. Who'd have thought you can deliver something this good halfway through its ninth season (especially during the weaker season seven).
    The Crowley/Dean road trip was superb and, as Mr E said, some really very funny moments that outmatched top-rated comedies.
    jenjenten wrote: »
    Season 10 all but confirmed now!
    I know it's enjoying good ratings but have you anything to back this up?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Well Ackles and Padalecki have both confirmed they're under contract till the end of Season ten.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

ixoy wrote: »
    I know it's enjoying good ratings but have you anything to back this up?

This seems to back it up
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/01/15/the-cw-president-on-how-much-longer-supernatural-can-go-and-the-status-of-the-spinoff

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Seems all we need then are for the cast to want to keep doing it seeing as the network executives are very happy with the show's performance. I want it to get a Season 11 purely so it can take Smallville's record for the longest running US genre show.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

ixoy wrote: »
    Seems all we need then are for the cast to want to keep doing it seeing as the network executives are very happy with the show's performance. I want it to get a Season 11 purely so it can take Smallville's record for the longest running US genre show.

Couldn't have said it better myself... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Fan-flippin'-tastic. Best in years. :)

The latest was a bit filler-ish. Never really warmed to Garth, so it's probably a good swan song for him.

With Charlie last year and Garth this year, maybe they're clearing the decks of weak secondary characters.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Definitely pretty straightforward, nuts and bolts stuff. The reverend's life philosophy was there to mirror Dean, really. Another one of those endings...

Ill keep this short as I'm typing this on my phone. Had a but of a double bill this week as I really hate the week long wait so put off episode 11 till last night.

Episode 11, First Born was absolutly fantastic, a brilliantly told story with some great action and it managed to once again conpletely rewrite the mythology and make it even more interesting. There's a real sense that we, and the gang are still only clutching at straws and that there's far more going in that we will ever know.

Seperating Sam and Dean, and keeping them apart paid off really well. Sam and Cas had a nice little story that felt like the writers just kicking back and allowing them to breath. Cas and his revelation about food was a nice way of further humanising him and it's the kind of fun throw away line that is indicative of a far more serious and lasting change on Cas. Much like Crowley, Cas feeling a sense of humanity allows for a far more interesting and diverse character.

The moment after Cas had removed the Grace from Sam and cured him was pivotal in the overall story. As they embraced I expected Sam to grab the syringe and plunge it into Cas and steal his grace. It would make no sense but Sam has became so devious and morally repugnant in recent months that we expect the worst. The writing for Sam is amingst the best on TV and they've taken a character who was 2 dimensional and created the most believable and humsn character on TV.

Cain was Supernatural at it's best. A terribly flawed character whom attempting to be good ended up far worse. Timothy Omundson was terrific and the image of the God of all evil keeping bees was quite beautiful. There was a world weariness to Cain that was perfect and the simmering rage beneath was played perfectly. The writers changing up the tale of Cain and Abel had just the right pulpy feel and perfectly reflected the journey and relationship of the Winchester brothers. Maybe it's just me but it felt like further foreshadowing that when this is all over brother will have turned upon brother one final time from which there is no coming back.

Crowley and Dean was a nice change up and their banter is like that of an old married couple. It's nice to see the show acknowledge that Crowley is a friend and ally to the boys. I assume being the King of Hell is a lonely and boring job considering how much time Crowley spends running errands for our heroes.

There's so much going on in Supernatural right now that you would have enough material for 3 or 4 series. We have the war in hell, the search for Cain's dagger, Cas and Sam's mentoring of each other, Dean and Crowley's intrepid detective agency and just about the half of it. Things are going to get a hell of a lot more interesting.

Episode 12, Sharp Teeth was a nice change of pace from recent episodes. By allowing some breathing room away from the ongoing story the show once again got to explore the grey lines that exist between good and evil.

The show has never really allowed its monsters much humanity and are treated like rabid animals. There's been a number of episodes and characters who have challenged that but over all it's been a case of, if it ain't fully human kill it.

I've always liked Garth and his disappearance has troubled me so its nice to see the blanks filled in, even if he is a werewol, excuse me a lycanthrope. The family of wolves is a great concept and reminded me a lot of the vampire pack who Inly killed animals from way back when. The two episodes actually work as a nice contrast and demonstrate just how far Dean has come. Back then Dean would have killed everyone and asked questions later but thanks to the great development of his character he's more restrained and human. The early series always played Dean like some unstoppable killing machine but thanks to Benny, (who needs to be brought back) he know realised that his Dad was wrong. There are more shades than black and white.

The werewolf Armageddon felt a little underdone. It all seemed to come out of nowhere and just felt like the writers felt it necessary to have a villain. Had they restrained themselves a little and instead had the characters debate the issue then it could have been far more effective. The whole being tied up thing felt like it was taken from an episode of wacky racers, though I'd like to think that the writers were poking fun at the early episides where it was a regular occurance.

The final scene with Garth was interesting and opens up a whole new level of possibilities. A werewolf hunter is a nice idea and I have a feelung that its something we may see in the spinoff.

Sam and Deans' final scene was superb. Sam pointing out that they no longer see one another in the same way vocalised what viewers are feeling. Dean has used the family card so often that I assume he's in group with Walter White. It's clear that Sam no longer sees Dean as family but in a colder, more clinical manner. They're like work colleagues thrown together and just have to get on with it.

What Sharp Teeth proves is that even where the writers to wrap up the ongoing story, that there is still a lot to be done with the initial concept. The monster of the week episodes still feel fresh and interesting and if they can continue to offer up imagery as creepy as a family of werewolves praying together with Garth in a sweater vest then ill happily be still tuning in 10 years from now.

Ill keep this short ...

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 85,067 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Source TV Line

Supernatural spin-off will be called Supernatural: Tribes. The offshoot, which will air as a regular episode of Supernatural this spring, will explore the clashing hunter and monster cultures of Chicago.

Just go add, Crowley and the bee is the stuff the dreams are made of. A perfectly pitched gag that managed to raise a bigger laugh than any sitcom has in years.

100% agree with that. Best laugh I've had this year. Pure genius.

Mr E wrote: »

The writers know how to take a banal moment and make it playful and funny as hell. The writers never get the appreciation they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Just go add, Crowley and the bee is the stuff the dreams are made of. A perfectly pitched gag that managed to raise a bigger laugh than any sitcom has in years.
    Mr E wrote: »
    The writers know how to take a banal moment and make it playful and funny as hell. The writers never get the appreciation they deserve.

That was brilliant - a really nice touch. Such a small gag, yet got such a huge laugh from me...

Supernatural do comedy so very very well... And often it can come down to just a look or movement from one of the characters...

My own personal favourite comedy moments...

• Registered Users Posts: 60,296 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A fish taco :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

run of the mill monster of the week episode but with some good comedy moments. Fish taco indeed. Still a great show. Always miss the episodes without Castiel.

• Advertisement

Despite AV Club's C rating, I mostly enjoyed this. Sure, it was a conveyor belt episode that ran out of steam once they found out what was going on, but the first half was fun, including the Fargo inflected sheriff.

The boys are still having issues, then.

The Minnesota accent irritates me, to be honest. It's not funny.
    Not a bad episode though - a poor supernatural episode is usually more entertaining than a lot of the stuff I watch. :o

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Yeah, the accents annoyed me so much. I thought the Sherriff sounded like Sarah Palin. Good episode overall, I'm enjoying the current run of monster of the week stuff.

Despite AV Club's C rating, I mostly enjoyed this. Sure, it was a conveyor belt episode that ran out of steam once they found out what was going on, but the first half was fun, including the Fargo inflected sheriff.

The boys are still having issues, then.

I stopped reading the AV Club's TV reviews years ago. They were far too critical of the smallest things and it seemed as if the writers felt that every show they reviewed should hire them on to fix it. I think the last time I looked at reviews there was when Hostages was airing and they slated every episode and came across as condescending dicks.

Another damn good episode with just the right amount of wit to paper over the cracks in the wafer thin plot. These last few weeks have been a nice break from the ongoing story and while this week was very much Supernatural at its most generic, it's still nice that the writers feel comfortable being able to just kick back and have some fun.

The story was pretty much an excuse for a few well played gags. The entire opening aeemed to be there simply so Dean could make another joke about salad. Similarly the sheriff was little more than an opportunity for the writers to give a nod to Fargo. Not that I'm complaining given how much fun it was. Once they got to the spa the show just ride along on the charms of its cast and a nice little monster. Cory Seiver was great as the husband, he managed to be both chaing and utterly creepy which perfectly suited the character. The parasite monster and the inevitable reveal that she was good all along felt contrived. It's almost as if the writers feel the need to portray the baddies in a positive light of late. It's an interesting and fun spin in what drives the show but Dean's desperation to kill her, even after its been repeatedly Claire's that she's good felt at odds with the themes of recent episodes and the emotional turmoil he's gone trough. Honestly, you could easily believe that this episode was from series 3 or 4 given how Dean acted.

The final scene is where the episode really came into its own. The confrontation between Sam and Dean has been simmering for a long time and its great to see it finally come out. It's obvious that Sam sees Dean as nothing more than some guy. Their relationship is nothing more than reluctant coworkers forced to work together due to done sense of honour. That Sam would allow Dean to dues says it all and while I can understand why, it takes a certain coldness and hatred to say something so cold. Going to be interesting to see how this all works out and I can see the proposed spin off featuring one of the brothers more so than both of them together.

With the spin off I'd love to see episodes where Sam and Dean pop up one week while in Supernatural that week we get a Cas or Crowley episode. Think it could really allow the writers to explore the worlds of the angels and demons and full in many of the questions we have.

While no surprise, it's still good news. Hoping we continue with having more Cas and Crowley in Season 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,296 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lets just hope it gets a one extra episode so it passes Smallville in the record books.

It has been getting a 23 episode run for the last 3 seasons. It needs 24 to beat Smallville record's of 218.

#TenSeasonsAndAMovie, anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement