Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supernatural - Season 9 *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Source TV Line

Supernatural spin-off will be called Supernatural: Tribes. The offshoot, which will air as a regular episode of Supernatural this spring, will explore the clashing hunter and monster cultures of Chicago.

http://tvline.com/2014/02/20/supernatural-tribes-cast-spin-off-nathaniel-buzolic-lucien-laviscount/

Good choice in Nathaniel

I really want there to be substance to this spinoff and not see it turn into another show about pretty boys doing little other than look good. Hopefully the main cast will be rounded out by a few more nature faces, there's a number of hunters that we've seen in the show who would be ideal for what the show promises and if the comic is anything to go by, the leader of the hunters should be seasoned.

Really would like to see them use the third trade as inspiration, that or at the very least work John into the backstory. It would be nice to see them work Bobby into a few episodes, honestly I'd happily see a show that just followed Bobby around while doing his weekly shop and hat hunting. Watching Harper's Island as I type and honestly, Jim Beaver is the sole aspect of the show keeping me interested. Bobby was the heart and soul of Supernatural, his coma episode is one of TV's finest 42 minutes and it managed to take a great show and invest it with more heart and soul than I ever thought possible.

Also, the more I read about the spin off the more it sounds like an adaptation of the most recent Dylan Dog film.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Sounds like a great plot for the series and glad to see it's not just a carbon copy of the original series.

There's a great Supernatural t-shirt available on qwertee today and tomorrow. Order before it's too late.

http://www.qwertee.com/

9x14

Yay Ghost Kevin! Always good to see one of the formerly deceased appear in some shape or form and was good to get closure re: his mother.

But clearly the highlight of the episode is Castiel's Army!!! I wonder how many followers he'll gain in the coming weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Another good episode, and probably not the last we'll see of Kevin either. I hope not anyway.

But yeah it's interesting to see where Cas goes from here. Also I wonder what Crowley's up to?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I didn't actually enjoy it too much, I'm afraid. It felt like they were grasping at straws for a way to reintroduce Kevin's mom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

Despite AV Club's C rating, I mostly enjoyed this. Sure, it was a conveyor belt episode that ran out of steam once they found out what was going on, but the first half was fun, including the Fargo inflected sheriff.

The boys are still having issues, then.

I love how even though Sam and Dean live on the road or the most part, never seem to sleep, drink loads and eat crap that they could still be considered as personal trainers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Next weeks episode
    The Ghostfacers return :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Preferred Castiel's storyline, but Kevin's mother's got field skills.

• Advertisement

Went and read done of the AVclub reviews of this past series and found the quality to be very poor. They seem to have it out for the show simply because the writers aren't taking their suggestions and running with them. They have done valid criticism but more often than not it's just them not picking and thinking they know best.

As I understand it, this weeks episode was aired out of order. The Ghostfacers and the Snooki monster from South Park was scheduled for this week. Hopefully it won't lead to any issues and I feel that this week may have suffered somewhat due to lack of context so to speak.

Kevin's speech at the end seems to speak of a widening gap between the brothers so there may be more pouting to come. Certainly glad that the writers didn't just neatly wrap it up and return to normal. The divide between Sam and Dean is one that the show needs to explore and I'm enjoying the way that Sam can so easily hate his brother.

The brothers story was a nice standalone bit of narrative that while we've seen a dozen times before didn't bore. Crowley's intern was fun though you have to wonder why the king if hell is hiding people in storage. Surely he has access to a prison, or you know hell itself. I suppose it is quite a nice way to show how mundane working as a demon can be, it's pretty much a dead end, go nowhere job that can last for eternity.

Cas's story was somewhat more interesting but the end reveal of his army was a little bland. Metatron's plan are mysterious and creating some genuine tension while Cas seems set on repeating the mistakes of the past. The writers have tried to address the changes in him yet they seem reliant on the same few ideas. An all out war between angels could be truly epic but I'd like to see the show address the motivations behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

2 questions I had about this episode: The demon said he hadn't killed the prisoners yet who killed Candy? And if there were originally 3 prisoners, did the Winchesters let the other one go as well?

Found it strange that Dean was trying to defend Crowley even though the last time they worked together, he manipualted him

I'm not quite sure how I felt about that episode, it tried to be a lot of things at the same time. I don't think I was ever really taken with the ghostfacers originally but I found the early parts of the episode funny enough, maybe from nostalgia but as well just down to Dean's complete disdain for them :pac:

It got dark, like actually heavy dark when it turned out there was no monster and it was a serial killer. Which was fine, Supernatural has dealt with humans on a few occasions but the fact that the whole break up of the wolf pack was so obviously mimicking Sam and Dean made me feel a little awkward as a viewer that it was being spelled out word for word that Sam and Dean aren't great buddies right now. In saying that the scene where they were reminiscing about childhood and briefly forgetting their tiff was good.

A solid episode and was a nice bit of nostalgia with the ghostfacers. I was seriously hoping at the start of the episode that it was a monster that killed people who took selfies :D

Just seen it's not on again next week, the trailer says March 18th :( Why not just wait an extra week to bring it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Just seen it's not on again next week, the trailer says March 18th :( Why not just wait an extra week to bring it back!

American show dates really get on my wick.

Since Christmas:

CSI - Arseways
    Criminal Minds - Arseways
    Supernatural - Arseways
    The Walking Dead - Arseways
    Fecking everything - Arseways.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

I'm fond of Supernatural so I will watch the new season when it starts but I think it should've ended in the series defining and epic fifth season. Kripke told the story he wanted to tell over five seasons and the finale was great. It hasn't been as good since albeit there have been outstanding episodes since. I'm also weary of 20+ episode per season drama. 12-15 episodes should be enough to keep the story trim and the momentum in top gear.
    Also Jared Padelecki's mugging last season really started to grate.
    Still, Sam, Dean and Cass is a winning combo despite the diminishing returns on this series.

Another really great episode though I'm curious as to what's happened the Snookie episode. I'm assuming that last weeks Ghostfacers episode was aired as a tribute to Harold Ramis for whom Harry is named.

It's been awhile since the show went meta and while this one wasn't the best they've done it was still a damn fine 42 minutes. The Thinman was a great villain, though it appears that the costume department reused the priest costumes from Rob Zombie's The Lords of Salen. The way the show incorporates real world mythology is impressive but more so was the manner in which they didn't go overboard with it. By allowing the Ghostfacers to be front and centre the writers were able to explore the relationship between Sam and Dean without having another Winchester heart to heart. It was an interesting move and the final scene where one is left alone was a nice bit of foreshadowing.

I really liked that the villains were just two guys. There was a nice live action Scooby Doo feel to the episode making for a nice change of pace, especially considering that **** is about to get all kinds of real in the coming weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Damn, you got my hopes up that there was a new episode last night. Git. :p

• Advertisement

Not Moose

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just a heads up for anyone following the UK pace,Sky have dropped it & won't be showing any future series.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s6/supernatural/news/a558793/supernatural-cougar-town-dropped-by-sky-living.html

Next weeks trailer. 9x17

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

9.16 - Good episode. Think Sheppard deserves credit for the consistency of his performance. Magnus was entertaining.

Misha Collins directed the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

With that announcement from Sky looks like I'll be following like the rest of you via torrent sites... or wait till the autumn when Netflix will have it.

The bad news first: It's taking another bloody break, back on the 15th of April apparently. Is it too much to ask that they just show the episodes weekly even if it means the break over winter lasts longer. It's the random skipped weeks here and there which really break things up, unnecessarily. Grrrr :mad:

The Good: It was a cracking episode which makes the higgledy-piggledy nature of airing the episodes even more annoying :pac: Misha Collins did a great job directing it firstly. It was nice to get more Henry Winchester and Abaddon backstory too. It's interesting to see more about the souls, and turning them into demons. There could be one hell of a battle building up.

Things have gone quiet on the angel front but the next episode seems to feature
    Metatron so I'd imagine we'll get an update there
    . It's funny how Sam is pulling back towards Dean just as he's pulling towards Crowley and the blade. I just want the next episode to be next week if I can't have it now :(

Yeah, I thought it was pretty spot on. Story, tone, execution. I'd like to see Misha direct again. The April 15th thing is balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Misha did a great job. Some very creative camera work.

Damn it. I forgot there was no episode this week! Spent the whole day looking forward to watching it right now too :(

Apologies for getting people's hopes up by updating the thread :pac:

*heads off to find some pie*

• Advertisement

Advertisement