Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Open Championship 2013 - *** no gambling/streams ***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Where are you staying Sandwich?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Where are you staying Sandwich?
    Just outside Glasgow.

Sandwlch wrote: »
    Just outside Glasgow.

3 options i guess.

1. Drive all the way as you planned. About 60km id say. Traffic is bound to a nightmare near the course though.

2. Get the train from Glasgow to Edinburgh then the golf train to Drem followed by shuttle bus to course.

3. Drive to Edinburgh and try to get cheap enough parking there. Then get train out.

Option 3 would be my choice but if you dont mind traffic congestion option 1 is the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

3 options i guess.

1. Drive all the way as you planned. About 60km id say. Traffic is bound to a nightmare near the course though.

2. Get the train from Glasgow to Edinburgh then the golf train to Drem followed by shuttle bus to course.

3. Drive to Edinburgh and try to get cheap enough parking there. Then get train out.

Option 3 would be my choice but if you dont mind traffic congestion option 1 is the cheapest.

I'd go with option 3. Drive it up to Edinburgh and park somewhere cheap. You could put it out by the zoo and then get a taxi or the bus back into the city. The bus stop is right beside the zoo.

After that get the train out there. The way they had it organised in 2010 was brilliant. Everyone looking to get the train out to St. Andrews joined a line away from the main part of the station. When a train was ready the organisers counted the people off and then walked the group across the station to the train.

I'd expect for them to do something similar again this time around. Get there early and have your money ready. I think you can an all-inclusive ticket for the train and shuttle.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,626 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I though that when Paul Casey won the Irish Open he qualified for the British Open but I don't see his name on the list.
    Was going to have a little e/w wager on him.

Anyone know why he is not playing?

• Advertisement

Train is £14.40 day return from Edinburgh to golf.

I though that when Paul Casey won the Irish Open he qualified for the British Open but I don't see his name on the list.

He didnt qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

I've got a good feeling about the Irish players this week.

Gareth Maybin has hit fine form and Shane Lowry is confident too.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'd go with option 3. Drive it up to Edinburgh and park somewhere cheap. You could put it out by the zoo and then get a taxi or the bus back into the city. The bus stop is right beside the zoo.

After that get the train out there. The way they had it organised in 2010 was brilliant. Everyone looking to get the train out to St. Andrews joined a line away from the main part of the station. When a train was ready the organisers counted the people off and then walked the group across the station to the train.

I'd expect for them to do something similar again this time around. Get there early and have your money ready. I think you can an all-inclusive ticket for the train and shuttle.

Look on Google maps for the junction of Ferry Road and Fettes Row, its free parking there. No 27 bus runs from Ferry Road to Princes Street or the Mound and then its less than a 5 minute walk to Waverley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I think I'd really like to see Phil win this one. He is the only American I can think of since Tom Watson who seems to show a really appreciation of what the Open (and links golf) means. He had a good win last week on links so hopefully he can do the business.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 118 ✭✭Addictedtogolf

Are you allowed to bring a camera into the golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭big_drive

He didnt qualify.

I didn't realise Paul Casey isn't there. Big blow to him as he seems to be in good form at present

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭liamos43

See Paddy Power are paying first 7 places - any tips on who is a good bet...feel like a small flutter !!!.....thks...

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

liamos43 wrote: »
    See Paddy Power are paying first 7 places - any tips on who is a good bet...feel like a small flutter !!!.....thks...

no such talk of that allowed here I'm afraid liamos.
    flutter golf thread here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056948763&page=5

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭Zardoz

They seem to have increased the ticket prices a bit this year ,£40 for practice and £75 a day for the main 4 days, bloody saucy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

First group underway. Some poor fella was playing his 5th of the tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Hope this is withinh the rules

Iis there any 'legal' audio stream for this ?
    On other tears there was always an 'Open Radio' section on the official site, but I cannot seem to find it this year, and the BBC Radio 5 coverage is blocked here in Eire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

Hope this is withinh the rules

Iis there any 'legal' audio stream for this ?
    On other tears there was always an 'Open Radio' section on the official site, but I cannot seem to find it this year, and the BBC Radio 5 coverage is blocked here in Eire

If you have a smartphone download The Open app. BBC 5 live is linked in as is The Open live radio stream too.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

McIlroy in the Irish Times today "Not McIlroy. His intent is to use the driver “anywhere between five and seven” times in a round, depending on the wind. The new driver is slightly different to the one which has caused him such angst, most recently when missing the cut in the Irish Open. “More a pear shape,” is how he described the head, “but it encourages the club face to close over a little bit more. My bad drive this year has been losing it to the right, so this is encouraging the club face to square up on impact.”

What are the odds that next weeks driver will be "slightly open faced, as my bad drives at the open were all very costly hooks....."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Jiménez burning the course up! -4 through 7

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I hope they eject that gimp who just shouted mashed potatoes off the course. Twas a yank of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭big_drive

I hope they eject that gimp who just shouted mashed potatoes off the course. Twas a yank of course!

I hate how early some of them shot. Mcilroy had hardly finished his swing when that fool shouted.

Jiménez with another birdie! -5 after 9

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Cakes and Ale

Bah just heard my first blast of Maureen Madill. Would rather take a cheese grater to my ears. Is this just me or do other watchers feel the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Not live action but interesting analysis and interviews.
    @TheOpen Live is a live online channel providing up to six hours of live coverage broadcast daily from The Open Championship.

A team of presenters will bring viewers the unique atmosphere of The Open, wherever they are in the world, as well as coverage of post-round press conferences, exclusive interviews and analysis of all the golfing action.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

The course looks beautifully set up. Just the right amount of rough to make things interesting and the greens look to be lethal but fair.

Mickelson looks to have an extra putting gear these last few weeks so he could figure in the result by Sunday.

However, wouldn't it be nice all the same to see Jimenez capture a major at the end of a fine career? :)

Rory's putting is down right crap. Say what you want about the new putter and new the ball but his reading of the greens seems poor.

Wouldn't shock me if he does miss the cut :(

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭baboo800

Bah just heard my first blast of Maureen Madill. Would rather take a cheese grater to my ears. Is this just me or do other watchers feel the same?

She's bad at least it's on bbc so we don't have to listen to this guy

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

Mcilroy +2 through 5. That driver clearly working wonders. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

Rory's putting is down right crap. Say what you want about the new putter and new the ball but his reading of the greens seems poor.

Wouldn't shock me if he does miss the cut :(
    His reading isn't the problem, that's just what he'd like people to believe after he misses and gives that fake perplexed look as if he hit a good putt.
    His mental approach is the problem, he missed what was a good putt for birdie on the 4th( I think) and his head dropped immediately.

Advertisement