Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

joujoujou wrote: »
    Must be an Oil Change Weekend - done the same yesterday, traditional way though, and not annual thing - I change it every 8 000 km, so approx. 3 times a year. :D

If I changed at that interval I'd be waiting a few years per oil change! :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

And I just noticed my dipstick is cracked at the end. Phew, wouldn't want the plastic end of that in the sump. Just ordered a new one on ebay!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

...revisit from the leaky civic boot...and I was right I sat in the boot while it was raining and watched the water run into the boot from the roof - fix below
    Honda in springing leaks shock. :D Mine's a bit older than yours and the damn thing is a sieve. Rear light seals the usual suspect, various not quite seam sealed holes in boot another and the same area that you found and fixed on yours. I've done all that and after it being dry for a while, again I have some sort of a small leak somewhere. I think the car secretly yearns to be a convertible...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

It's all about the 607 in this post...

Changed the timing belt + water pump. Arsed and fluted at it, very easy to do.

Of course, issues thanks to the previous owners show up! Like this corrosion filled plug
    HlJskdsh.jpg

Might explain why the car bumps and bangs now and again, stabilizer link was no better with the centre falling out :rolleyes:
    pdfkwqGh.jpg

Stubborn pulley bolt? Didn't stray from the lowest setting :cool:
    kLAw6DEh.jpg

I think it's fair to say, this was overdue a change!
    PwHBbaDh.jpg

Seeing as I had the big gun out, I decided to change the balljoint. I think it's fair to say this was never off
    TsZEy77h.jpg

So in for some tea, out again and it's dark. Trackrod was the same stubborn original!
    WTDqwSoh.jpg

It absolutely screeched off, cleaned up the threads and reassembled the whole lot with a replacement hub I pulled out of thin air. I have no photos of it, but seeing as I'll be doing the other side too I'll get some then.

Finally, the dreaded economy mode active message appeared. Or is it as dreaded as it should be?

Plenty more fun ahead, if you can call an abs pump change fun with these cars! :o:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It's all about the 607 in this post...

Changed the timing belt + water pump. Arsed and fluted at it, very easy to do.

Of course, issues thanks to the previous owners show up! Like this corrosion filled plug

Plenty more fun ahead, if you can call an abs pump change fun with these cars! :o:(

I'll say this for you, You are some man for punishment!
    Lots of people would have sent the Pug for scrap but fair play to you you are doing all the stuff needed to get it back up and running.
    If manufacturers spent a euro on dielectric grease in every electrical plug it would save some amount of heartache down the line.
    Corroded connectors do some funny things and this country is great for growing green on copper stuff.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I'll say this for you, You are some man for punishment!
    Lots of people would have sent the Pug for scrap but fair play to you you are doing all the stuff needed to get it back up and running.
    If manufacturers spent a euro on dielectric grease in every electrical plug it would save some amount of heartache down the line.
    Corroded connectors do some funny things and this country is great for growing green on copper stuff.

Cheers! :D I do love a good dose of hardship, as I shall depict below with another scenario...

Remember we did a job a few weeks ago on my fathers Santa Fe? Well, it didn't last very long...

One Saturday, we were in Monaghan and the engine developed a horrendous knock. Staggered all the way back to Rathkenny, where it finally stopped at the graveyard. How convenient!

Shoved into the garage and I kindly donated my Avensis for the week

I made a bust at it on Friday, started about 1pm, had the engine out shortly after. Replacement engine was from a tragedy so a few small differences in fueling/mounting points for 4 wheel drive etc.

Another difference was the sump, which had to be changed anyway. Here's from the old engine:
    S3ba5bgh.jpg

And here's the pickup
    InZJZL1h.jpg

Yeah, oops :(

I left it and the pickup clean enough to eat your dinner off
    xUkCzyjh.jpg
    GmdU7pDh.jpg
    oUf4wlGh.jpg

Moral of the story is check the oil pickup when you can. We'll be dropping the sump every 30k miles now to see how it is. The engine needed stem seals anyway but that's not the point; this won't be happening again!

Santa Fe was up and running by 8pm the next day, better than before I'll have you know :cool:

As for my week without the brownfinger car, I didn't mind too much ;)
    9p4irxHh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

Did a little laundry. Insurance due for renewal in January

IMG_9034.jpg

IMG_9036.jpg

IMG_9039 (1).jpg

Having put 4 Michelins and refurbed 19" AMG's on it, it repays me with this

IMG_9107.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Tommyboy40 wrote: »
    Having put 4 Michelins and refurbed 19" AMG's on it, it repays me with this

IMG_9107.jpg

Feck. Did that fly off the bearing?

Interslice wrote: »
    Feck. Did that fly off the bearing?

It's the clutch from the aircon compressor. More than likely took the compressor with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Think my Mats were due an upgrade! - didnt bother with the clip as it requires screwing into the stock carpet with a plastic plug but it seems to clip quite snug

Premier car mats on eBay for anyone curious (luxury spec) twice as thick as what came out

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-MK2-1990-2000-Tailored-Car-Floor-Mats-Choice-Of-Qualities/351457512602?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=620544497204&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

eBsfO2j.jpg

oPeZdtX.jpg

F7tohhX.jpg

I've been meaning to replace mine for almost 7 years... They look great!

Replaced my dipstick today, had noticed the plastic end of it was cracked almost all the way through, don't know how I noticed it tbh. But replace now before it found its way into the sump. Happy days. I think I have a leak in my oil filter housing, not sure how arsed I am to fix, not the worst job in the world to do. Wish I had thought of it when I was doing the oil change a couple weeks back. Not to worry... maybe in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

Upgraded the h7 bulbs in the saab 93 to Osram Night Breakers

RdA5ivC.jpg

Here is a before and after from the dash cam
    Left is before and the right is after
    Hard to tell from the dash cam image but it is brighter

LJGyhUV.png

I have no photos of it, but seeing as I'll be doing the other side too I'll get some then.

I actually changed the other side the following day, but lack of time means I'm only putting this up now. Much the same as above

Very easy to do. There isn't much to talk about, only I had the other hub prepped (I have the Peugeot balljoint tool this years and years)

The rest is just abs disconnect, bolts/nuts off, disc + caliper + carrier off, joints split, hub off:
    IvLxIGTh.jpg

WE844cDh.jpg

u4tRSjzh.jpg

P9zd1f6h.jpg

But disaster!
    R6H9g6gh.jpg

Or was it ;)
    9OXX4h3h.jpg

The hardest part was getting the strut to sit into the hub, which is awkward. Tip is to widen the collar so it has more room to manouver and a bit of plusgas, line up the locating tab and it'll sit down once in position. The shield for the balljoint may not want to sit back, in that case shape it as best you can and chemical metal it enough to stay if required. This whole job took roughly 30 minutes start to finish, including pulling that driveshaft out of thin air and the old one out of the gearbox :p

Next is tracking it once the abs module is changed... Pain in the hole to change that :p

Replaced the AC compressor, regassed the system. Changed oil and filter. New genuine front pads replacing the new spurious ones which are a little loose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

New rear disks for the F31

11225665-C60-D-429-A-8022-B0062-B881-AA9.jpg

B6-BBD1-EA-44-AE-4-E76-B119-288-DBE38138-A.jpg

CA54-FE52-3-B13-4-B8-D-8-A30-41-C25-D92-B55-D.jpg

DD3826-A2-9-F6-B-44-FD-AF91-F63-F31-CA2218.jpg

E9985-F36-A849-43-F9-93-D5-578027049-E1-C.jpg

FD2-ABE74-3-D8-E-41-D6-89-B9-C74-F58527-F60.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Where those disks cheaper up North compared to dealers down here?

I didn't even price them down here based on the prices I got for the fronts.

762-E1964-0-BD6-47-D1-8-A66-09-E20-B46356-C.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I don't blame you, that's a crazy price! With BMW First, front pads and disks on my F10 are €650.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Textar are the OEM suppliers. A set from a motor factors would have been a fraction of that.

• Advertisement

That's a quote, not a receipt :)

Was that price for the pads for bith sides? Joe duffy wanted 170euro for a full set of rear pads for the e30. That was before the 20 odd quid for the sensors. Put me off going near the place again.

Was that price for the pads for bith sides? Joe duffy wanted 170euro for a full set of rear pads for the e30. That was before the 20 odd quid for the sensors. Put me off going near the place again.

Not sure if you're asking me or not? That quote is for front disks and pads on both sides with a single wear sensor. My previous car was an E30, not sure if anyone would buy wear parts like brakes from a dealer for an E30, because as you say they'll be massively expensive.

Below is a photo of one of those disks quoted lying on top of an old E30 wheel. The discs weigh about 6kg a corner, they are hefty lumps of metal.

Screenshot-20181213-224644.png

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Not sure if you're asking me or not? That quote is for front disks and pads on both sides with a single wear sensor. My previous car was an E30, not sure if anyone would buy wear parts like brakes from a dealer for an E30, because as you say they'll be massively expensive.

Below is a photo of one of those disks quoted lying on top of an old E30 wheel. The discs weigh about 6kg a corner, they are hefty lumps of metal.

IG]

Ye i was just wondering were they expensive becuse its an old car or are they generally mad money. Got them for 60 quid online in the end :)

That's outrageous money for pads for a family estate! I paid €122 including VAT for front pads for mine

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭rob316

vintagevrs wrote: »
    I didn't even price them down here based on the prices I got for the fronts.

762-E1964-0-BD6-47-D1-8-A66-09-E20-B46356-C.jpg

That's just for the front :eek:

Thats insane

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭rob316

€170 for rear pads! That's scandalous.

I replaced front discs and pads in the SL 3 years ago for €220 + vat from MSL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Bit of work on the Yaris, speed bumps were getting worse!

Had the option of going Xmas shopping or venturing out to change droplinks!

Change the droplinks it is :D.

[IMG][/img]7MrLkb3.jpg

[IMG][/img]ROAWyr7.jpg

Needless to say started to rain, just before the end :pac:

[IMG][/img]qWlXYXm.jpg

Fiddley job, took about an hour and a half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

...revisit from the leaky civic boot...and I was right I sat in the boot while it was raining and watched the water run into the boot from the roof - fix below
    Yep and I fixed mine only today after some advice on civinfo

Red arrows are the flow of leak

6cdEoV4.jpg

vXalBDP.jpg

"the seam sealer at the rear of the roof rain channels fails and let’s water in at a surprising rate. "

To check I took the fittings off the end of my hose so I could squash the hose right up against the seam sealer and had someone turn the hose on slowly, hey presto instant in car waterfall!

Clean re-seam seal and reseal with silicone, etc

66717de2572b416e4211c1b1275efb98.jpg
    Good work had similar problems with a s70 Volvo, nightmare,but in the end did the same ,boot, hose,ingress

Advertisement