Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Sorry i may not made myself clear #Grammar, it was the fuel filter that was gunked up i don't think it had being changed in quite a while the housing was filthy and loads of black sediment when i drained the diesel out of it.
    It is a BXE nearing 300k! it hasn't fired a conrod out of the block yet! besides two timing belts shocks and regular service items, it's being trouble free does a minimum of 100km a day mostly motorway.
    All good so, keep on trucking, always a nice moment when you realise your car is costing you feck all..... having had enough misery in my youth with "cheap" expensive cars I really appreciate mine just using petrol and the odd oil change.
    Car trouble is worse than women trouble.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

All work on the Z3.M50 manifold swap from standard M52, with modified throttle body plate and fuel rail. Swapped out stock intake for a custom built CAI and then added a front strut for the hell of it. The car was only back from welders to strengthen the rear subframe, so it can handle the BHP increase without ripping it's own arse off! I also had to clean. Out the battery terminals as the car wouldn't start and thought it was from the above work!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

Per the thread I started s couple of days ago, I changed the cranckshaft position sensor on the wifes Grand Scenic. Threw me a bit, because its not located where the interwebs said it would be :D. Not sure if its got to do with the mark or what, but managed to locate it anyway.

French design and engineering again meant that I had to remove the battery and scuttle panel, move the air intake pipe, and tie the coolant pipes out of the way just to reach it. Then, I had enough space to either look at it, or put my hand in, but not both. Cue the dropping of 10mm spanners and much cursing.

All sorted now though, and for €37 from the motor factor, nice and cheap too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

car.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Interslice wrote: »
    your discs could be fine. You will usually get through at least 2 sets of pads before needing discs. As alanstrainor said, check them for a lip.

https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-need-know-when-disk-brakes-need-replacement
    Yup the lip is on both - got the discs and pads changed at the rear only (front are at 50%) when the tyres were done - €600 all in not too bad really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Added reversing sensors to my wifes car.

Bumper off
    IMG-20181107-114358.jpg
    IMG-20181107-114401.jpg

Sensors wired up and in position
    IMG-20181107-115311.jpg

Masking tape to hopefully reduce chipping the paint
    IMG-20181107-115508.jpg

1 sensor in. Pretty happy. In hindsight i'd love to have had a white rattle can to paint the inner diameter of the cut hole white also. I might retouch with some paint and a toothpick at a later date
    IMG-20181107-115924.jpg

Bumper back on!
    IMG-20181107-130104.jpg

Sensors: GreenYi sensors from AliExpress - 2-3 week delivery - $18

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

Ordered 4 new tyres

Image 07-11-2018 at 21.25.jpg

Installed a dashcam (front and rear). As the car is 40 years old, (and no cigarette lighter), I had to be slightly engineering with a voltage booster off a spare positive and negative that I took off the back of the radio. Also needed 4 new sparks as car wouldn't start. They were quite fouled, suspect my valve guides are on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

antodeco wrote: »
    Installed a dashcam (front and rear). As the car is 40 years old, (and no cigarette lighter), I had to be slightly engineering with a voltage booster off a spare positive and negative that I took off the back of the radio. Also needed 4 new sparks as car wouldn't start. They were quite fouled, suspect my valve guides are on the way out.

Make sure your PCV is all clean and good.... might be just crankcase pressure allowing more oil in. Any spurt of blue smoke when you start after letting rest for a little while? That's a classic valve stem oil seal sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

If the PCV was blocked you’d have issues on the otherwise, oil leaks because of the build up of pressure.
    A PCV on a 40y/o car probably just vents to athmosmere anyway, they only started cracking down on that and making it mandatory to have it feed into the inlet in the early 90’s.

More than likely valve stem oil seals if it’s manky after being sitting.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. Yup, if it's left sitting for a while, lots of smoke. I normally need to do a spark plug change if it's left sitting up for 2 or 3 months. Runs rough as hell as well until it's all burnt off. Once the engine is nice and hot it runs grand for a few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Shouldn't need to change them, just give them a clean and make sure the gap is correct and they should be fine. Definitely have a look at getting those seals done though.

CianRyan wrote: »
    Shouldn't need to change them, just give them a clean and make sure the gap is correct and they should be fine. Definitely have a look at getting those seals done though.

I've tried cleaning them! They are dropping wet with oil. Might try the burn it off clean that seems to be doing the rounds. I don't mind changing sparks. €13 and 10 minutes of my time!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Today it was my dad's car rather than my own. It's a 2006 BMW 523i N52, having terrible trouble of late. Idling trouble and misfires. Sometimes at idle it sill completely die, engine just stops dead. And other times the car will misfire on startup. What's weird is that it has died when at in drive at traffic lights.

His mechanic seems to be at a complete loss as to the cause and even went down the route of an engine flush for some bizzare reason! Anyway, I've had lots of thoughts on this, but thought I'd pop out the DISA valve which is a valve in the intake manifold. It's a common failure for them to cease up, or become loose. This is a valve right on the intake manifold, wasn't too bad to remove. Popped it out and there was oil everywhere, not just a small coating, it was dripping everywhere. I'm wondering if the CCV is done for, need to google more I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

That's a slightly odd place to find oil alright! Could it be leaking oil through the rocker cover gasket as well? A blocked CCV would surely put the exhaust emissions light on (it does when it's blocked up enough in the older engines).

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭scannerd

CCV system on those does fail, if its never been change then I would start there given its age , could give you the excess oil in the intake, parts are not to expensive they are a bugger to get at unless you take the intake out, very fiddly. Definitely buy the whole kit as the hoses will be brittle by now and 90% break taking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Did somebody say French cars and wonky electrics...? :p

I have a 607 that every so often wouldn't start or when started presented a rake of strange intermittent issues (gearbox errors, bizarre speedometer and all sort of other small weird things). It damn nearly stranded me once, I said I need to fix this once and for all!

So after pondering it for a while, I decided to investigate the battery terminals, as this was a problem with the 406 in the past (easily fixed by adding in an extra earth/replacing the terminals)

Seems the engine positive was in need of replacing!
    I5Qmtv4h.jpg

I had to modify one of the cables to fit, otherwise it's a nice snug fit.

Now, to the boot battery
    kgmuhJdh.jpg

Oh goody. This looks like a quality install :rolleyes:

Now, lets remove this battery:
    SKZA8y8h.jpg

How this was working was beyond me! :rolleyes:

Seeing as the main earth cable was left, I got a bolt out of an Avensis to thread in, one that was just the right length. Next, I got this tractor negative terminal and made the bolt and washer fit
    ig0wqOjh.jpg

Put the whole lot back in (a new battery that fitted, naturally) and tested the car

No more issues starting, no strange errors with the gearbox or ones I hadn't accounted for

Bliss :cool:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

scannerd wrote: »
    CCV system on those does fail, if its never been change then I would start there given its age , could give you the excess oil in the intake, parts are not to expensive they are a bugger to get at unless you take the intake out, very fiddly. Definitely buy the whole kit as the hoses will be brittle by now and 90% break taking off.

Cheers, yes that's my suspicion to be honest, although there isn't the other tell tale signs such as blue smoke out the exhaust or burning excessive oil. It's a job I've avoided doing on mine for the last 5 years (I don't have much symptoms of it having failed tbf). But I have a feeling I'm going to have to do it on my dad's. I've watched tonnes of videos on this job on my own over the years, and the general conclusion I've found is that taking the intake off is the way to go, and replace as much as you can along the way. Exciting! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

With the M54s its recommended to buy genuine BMW breathers and change all the hoses as well. I'd assume it's the same for the N52 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Been a while since I had a issue - roll in the Mrs Civic and a soaked spare wheel compartment (boot itself was bone dry)

Stripped back the panels out of the boot and left beside rad as it would take a month of Sundays to dry it out in car

WLXweer.jpg

Initial civic forums point the issue to a number of issue - a blocked fuel drain seems a common one

epSWOrFg.jpg

Borrowed from the local heroin addict :D flushed 2 cups of hot water through the drain hole after poking all the silt out

ft3uMswg.jpg

Im not convinced this is the end to this issue but as there was no smell of damp in car I think its only recent - Mrs fessed up to leaving the cap open last Thursday so the 48hrs of constant rain and a blocked drain and capillary action to boot

I hope its resolved but will be taking the hose to the car later while all the panels and carpets are stripped out.

• Advertisement

Sat at the side of the road as my heater valve decided to sh1t itself everywhere (nice coolant covered engine bay). Cable tied it back together and got me home. Took it all apart and flushed it. Replacing it tomorrow with a solid cap (means the heater valve will.always be open), but just means won't have any failing heater caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

...revisit from the leaky civic boot...and I was right I sat in the boot while it was raining and watched the water run into the boot from the roof - fix below
    Yep and I fixed mine only today after some advice on civinfo

Red arrows are the flow of leak

6cdEoV4.jpg

vXalBDP.jpg

"the seam sealer at the rear of the roof rain channels fails and let’s water in at a surprising rate. "

To check I took the fittings off the end of my hose so I could squash the hose right up against the seam sealer and had someone turn the hose on slowly, hey presto instant in car waterfall!

Clean re-seam seal and reseal with silicone, etc

66717de2572b416e4211c1b1275efb98.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Ordered 4 tyres last week.
    Was hoping they all turn together but only 2 arrived today.
    The other 2 are still in Belgium.:o
    Hankook Ventus.
    The front ones were €91 and the rears were €124 so overall not too bad at all.
    kcbk8h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭colliemcc

blade1 wrote: »
    Ordered 4 tyres last week.
    Was hoping they all turn together but only 2 arrived today.
    The other 2 are still in Belgium.:o
    Hankook Ventus.
    The front ones were €91 and the rears were €124 so overall not too bad at all.
    kcbk8h.jpg

Who did you order them from

colliemcc wrote: »
    Who did you order them from

Oponeo.ie
    And the fronts are 225x40x18
    The rears 255x35x18

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Oponeo.ie
    And the fronts are 225x40x18
    The rears 255x35x18

It's certainly been asked before, but where do you get them fitted, and what does a fitting of 4 tires + disposal of 4 tires cost (assuming your location of Cork is still correct)?

It's certainly been asked before, but where do you get them fitted, and what does a fitting of 4 tires + disposal of 4 tires cost (assuming your location of Cork is still correct)?

I get mates rates so I'm not sure what my fella would usually charge.
    He charged me a tenner the last time to fit 2 tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

I get mates rates so I'm not sure what my fella would usually charge.
    He charged me a tenner the last time to fit 2 tyres.

For 19's it's normally €30 per tyre

Just finished the annual oil change. Nice and handy, had bought one of those electric oil extractors in lidl during the year which made the whole process super easy and quick. Done and dusted in 45 minutes, most of that time spent just waiting around. Happy days. The wifes car will be next, but it needs some bigger bits too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Must be an Oil Change Weekend - done the same yesterday, traditional way though, and not annual thing - I change it every 8 000 km, so approx. 3 times a year. :D

Awaiting last drops of oil to go to the tray, decided to sort out my OCD thing - something what pi$$ed me off since very beginning, even though that's just visual thing and only while you looked at the inner side of the bonnet:

466826.jpg

466827.jpg

Couldn't be washed/cleaned/brushed, so plan B - matt black spray from lidl. :cool:

466828.jpg

466829.jpg

Now better. :p

Advertisement