Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Fitted new wiper blades.
    Don't get to do much diy since I bought this car and it didn't even need new wipers just bought to treat the car! :o
    Bosch Aero Twin.
    Never had them before.
    23kvx3c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Tested few days ago. In one go! Happy days! :D

474626.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

newmember? wrote: »
    What lift is that?

Don't know the actual name of the company, we use it for detailing cars but it's great for servicing too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Bit of needless DIY. Car was in the main dealer for a separate issue, drivers handle needed replacing... and this is how the car was returned. Very poor form for a main dealer, but because it's 11 years old its only scrap and doesn't matter how it looks :rolleyes:

Lucky I had primer, lacquer and the exact colour in a spray can.

Handle1.png

Handle2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 81,280 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Lovely job, did you have to take it off to spray it or just cover around it before you sprayed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Did you ask them why it wasn't painted?

We have found that no matter how small an item we have to paint, painting incurs a certain minimum cost which is quite high. Painting any article smaller than a body panel costs €60+ VAT and even at that you dont really make anything on it. That's towing eye covers, door handles, headlamp washer jet covers, mirror caps, fuel filler doors etc.

I used to keep the defibrillator on standby when quoting people. 95% would decline the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Lovely job, did you have to take it off to spray it or just cover around it before you sprayed?

Oh ya I took it off, there's nothing to it really. Would be a botched job otherwise

No, tbh I had nothing to do with the whole thing, but they didn't even say they were going to put on a bog spec handle onto it. Fair enough if they did then we could decide for ourselves whether to go ahead or not. If it was my own golf and it was returned that way I'd have kicked up a fuss. Only for the fact that I had the paint and lacquer, primer there I would have made sure it was brought back. Like they're a common car, if they hadn't a colour coded one, there's plenty of breakers that do (even though that may not be their policy)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

We have found that no matter how small an item we have to paint, painting incurs a certain minimum cost which is quite high. Painting any article smaller than a body panel costs €60+ VAT and even at that you dont really make anything on it. That's towing eye covers, door handles, headlamp washer jet covers, mirror caps, fuel filler doors etc.

I used to keep the defibrillator on standby when quoting people. 95% would decline the whole thing.

I had a door handle replaced a few years back after a break in. Main Toyota dealer did the job. I came out and found a chrome effect handle on the driver's door.. the rest are matte black... I simply and calmly went back in and said that's not good enough. Next day it was replaced with the the right one. Couldn't believe they tried it on. Doesn't matter how old the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

The niggly little bits... Tidied up some of the shoddy wiring behind the radio, fitted some missing screws and the vent beside me was broken, no pics of those unfortunately.

However...

Tab broken on a connector
    TsFz8DYh.jpg
    Ktk7WYHh.jpg
    vaLNaJYh.jpg

Broken buttons? Make a good vent out out of 2!
    7W0Qcchh.jpg
    eCqbi50h.jpg
    qbNDt25h.jpg

More crappy little bits in due time... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Made a little mod on my Golf, even though I promised myself I wouldn't waste money on this sort of thing, but this was mega cheap.

I acquired a switch with the auto function for free so that helped, then I got one of these little light sensors, they are on Ebay, Amazon etc for like €20.

Pop the old switch out, the light sensor connects between the back of the switch and the loom plug for the switch, plug and play. Ran the cable behind the dash and up beside the A-Pillar. The sensor isn't stuck down in the photos (nor is the switch fully seated in the dash) but I stuck it in right to the pillar with the excess cable hidden. These were just a few quick pics while I done it during a stolen ten minutes I had.

Not only does this enable auto lights but the switch also allows you to activate guide me home lights and welcome lights that activate with the central locking without having to use ODIS etc to activate the function, just a sequence of switch selections to activate it.

Also didn't need a single tool to do this, which is always nice.

https://m.ebay.ie/itm/202078437639?ul_ref=http%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F5282-53468-19255-0%2F1%3Ftype%3D2%26pub%3D5575403537%26toolid%3D10001%26campid%3D5338343602%26item%3D202078437639%26customid%3Dvms%253Aeb%253Ap%253A202078437639%253BEAIaIQobChMI46SWurOC4QIVS7ftCh1QJAFmEAQYAiABEgKlhvD_BwE%26gclid%3DEAIaIQobChMI46SWurOC4QIVS7ftCh1QJAFmEAQYAiABEgKlhvD_BwE%26srcrot%3D5282-53468-19255-0%26rvr_id%3D1895573927647%26rvr_ts%3D7dc06a951690aa18c4e41390ffe991e2&_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1&ul_noapp=true

20190309-180649.jpg

20190309-180659.jpg

20190309-180728.jpg

20190309-180922.jpg

20190309-181104.jpg

Also got these genuine rubber mats a while back. A real bogger spec item but necessary at the moment as despite my best efforts I'm dragging a lot of muck into the car on the weekends. I have fitted carpet mats to switch back to later on anyway.

20190309-180638.jpg

20190309-180745.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Wifes Impreza boot wouldn't lock shut.
    Took the interior panels out and the locking mechanism was staying open and wouldn't latch shut.
    Removed the mechanism and disassembled it there was a tiny electric motor with a worm drive and a larger gear with a spring on the back of it that turned a lever with a quadrant that opened the latch.
    Regreased and reset the lever and it didn't work, I pulled it apart 3 times before I got it set correctly.
    Works well now, why they did away with a simple cable release I will never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Two days on the A4, two front wheel bearings and a drive shaft. Whore of a job. Runs like butter now.

Noticing my brake pedal was a bit off and with a small screech starting to appear, I decided to have a look at the offending side where the noise was coming from before things got worse

inuDKDAh.jpg

Hmmmm....

There really wasn't much to this, just clean up everything well and reassemble with the right amount of grease
    VohyTeqh.jpg

And to clean the contact surface for the brake pads with a triangular file, fitting without binding now
    4maXd2gh.jpg

I'll inspect the other side when I get a chance, but the difference from the brake pedal is night and day already :cool:

Unregistered Users

Had same task in 'rolla months ago. I was able to free up one pin just using vise-grip, but another one was just p.i.t.a. - had to catch pin's end with table vice and use 1 metre long steel bar to sort things. Never had seized pins in older one - planned obsolescence ffs. :mad:

joujoujou wrote: »
    Had same task in 'rolla months ago. I was able to free up one pin just using vise-grip, but another one was just p.i.t.a. - had to catch pin's end with table vice and use 1 metre long steel bar to sort things. Never had seized pins in older one - planned obsolescence ffs. :mad:

Was a common one in the Daily van, they'd seize up after a few months driving round (it did do intergalactic mileage though) regardless of how clean and free they would get they would always give plenty of warning when they were stiffening up. It was a handy way to keep tabs on the condition of the pads and discs at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

To be fair its only lack of proper maintenance that makes then seize. Using silicone paste to lube them (as per the factory) and they will stay nice and free, grease (even red rubber) will dry out and make then seize up

Unregistered Users

rex-x wrote: »
    To be fair its only lack of proper maintenance that makes then seize. [...]

With all due respect, I have to disagree. As I mentioned, never had that very problem with my old corolla, despite almost half a million kilometres driven and aforementioned pins were never ever looked after!

Older cars were made to last. Newer ones are made to last... warranty period. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

With all due respect, I have to disagree. As I mentioned, never had that very problem with my old corolla, despite almost half a million kilometres driven and aforementioned pins were never ever looked after!

Older cars were made to last. Newer ones are made to last... warranty period. :P

They were probably lubed properly with silicone and hadnt been messed with by some fella 'greasing them up'

The design of slide pins hasn't changed really in 50 years and while I do agree some modern vehicles arent build like the good old days, slide pins dont fall into that category.....

To be fair its only lack of proper maintenance that makes then seize. Using silicone paste to lube them (as per the factory) and they will stay nice and free, grease (even red rubber) will dry out and make then seize up

Never thought of using silicon grease as I have a tin of it on the shelf anyway, but the brakes tend to wear out with me before they get a chance to seize... Brakes don't seize with a vehicle under my ownership ;)
    They were probably lubed properly with silicone and hadnt been messed with by some fella 'greasing them up'

If you can make it out in the 1st pic, the previous ape put moly grease on the pins!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭This is it

Replaced parking bulbs on the headlights today, absolute bîtch to get at them.

The plastic cover fell off the wing mirror indicator so I picked up a new indicator unit. Three different Allen key sizes, unfortunately I only have two of them. I'll need to pick up a full set before going any further. Could be worse I suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭This is it

This is it wrote: »
    Replaced parking bulbs on the headlights today, absolute bîtch to get at them.

The plastic cover fell off the wing mirror indicator so I picked up a new indicator unit. Three different Allen key sizes, unfortunately I only have two of them. I'll need to pick up a full set before going any further. Could be worse I suppose!

Sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Killinator

Changed front pads and discs.
    From this:
    4t55hv.jpg

To this:
    2n88zh5.jpg

Gave my wheels a good scrub inside and out while they were off and I'm happy with how it all looks stuck back together:
    sy48m0.jpg

Edit: no idea why they're uploading all upside down and sideways :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Was only thinking of this car today, I saw it's sister in Childers rd retail park. The sound of them is fantastic.

Was only thinking of this car today, I saw it's sister in Childers rd retail park. The sound of them is fantastic.

I was in Childers today so I reckon that was me :D

Killinator wrote: »
    I was in Childers today so I reckon that was me :D

Are you female?

Are you female?

No, guess it was the other 32 driver so :D

Killinator wrote: »
    No, guess it was the other 32 driver so :D

I was thinking that alright... we've had this conversation before! I remember the Gulf Gti in topaz roxboro back in the day and knew it was a lad who owned it!

I was thinking that alright... we've had this conversation before! I remember the Gulf Gti in topaz roxboro back in the day and knew it was a lad who owned it!

Ah right, now I remember

Unregistered Users

Plan "A" was as follows - installing 2 gas struts for the bonnet, normal, most popular way. That failed, as E12's bonnet is way too soft and it bent near hinge reinforcements when tried to close it with struts on, so went to Plan "B" and it works!

476293.jpg

Not the best solution alright, but IMO the only one possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭cletus

476355.jpg

The moment you realise the motor factors gave you the wrong sized rotor...

Advertisement