Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What do you use to fill the T-box ? I found it to be an awkward job until I got a cheap oil syringe.
    I could never get the little bottle high enough to properly empty it.
    What about the Diff oils?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

I made a dosing bottle from a (very clean) 500ml coke bottle with a hose connector screwed on and 4 inches of hose. It works well enough to get about 250ml at a time in. Not terrible when it takes just over a litre. The gearbox filler is much more awkward so I just took up the gear lever and filled from the top. Diffs not on the radar for this change, though last time I just got the garage to do them when they had it on the lift for a spot of welding on a body mount.

I still miss my KZJ90, great simple vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

I understand that, at that time, Toyota were designing their 4x4s to have a 25 year/500,000 mile service life (under good conditions and with proper servicing of course). So far I've got 15 years and 314,000 miles in.. and it's running like a clock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭blackbox

CJhaughey wrote: »
    What do you use to fill the T-box ? I found it to be an awkward job until I got a cheap oil syringe.
    I could never get the little bottle high enough to properly empty it.
    What about the Diff oils?

Lidl oil pump is perfect for filling gearboxes and diffs. Never actually used it for engine oil yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

New cabin filter....hardly qualifies for this thread but hey ho

IMG_20180825_160606.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Taking advantage of the FIL being a mechanic these days...

FRQk5K8.jpg

Air filter, oil + filter, cabin filter, fuel filter + left front ABS sensor all changed. Was well overdue a decent service anyway...

Gave it a clean up yesterday afternoon. Not perfect, but a hell of a lot better :)

AcrhAEy.jpg

After months looking for the source of a rattle I finally got it.
    Literally hours spent on it,
    Nut on the top of the rear shock was a fraction loose.
    If you are a rattle I will find you,and I will kill you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,203 ✭✭✭✭blade1

After months looking for the source of a rattle I finally got it.
    Literally hours spent on it,
    Nut on the top of the rear shock was a fraction loose.
    If you are a rattle I will find you,and I will kill you!!!

Hahaha
    I'm like that as well.
    I had a squeak going over bumps in an A4 before.
    Got driven around in the boot until I found the cause.
    It was a loose nut holding on the rear bumper! :pac:

Yea I had the missus driving around with me in the boot!
    We were sure it was coming from the interior,I found the clock spring in the seatbelt retracter was unwound and was sure that was the source.
    Nearly cried yesterday when it wasn't .
    Need a new retracter before I can reassemble the interior.

• Advertisement

I spent some time in the e30 boot at 50kph. Was a complete was of time. Later found that a brand new shock was to blame. Exhaust sounded well from there though :)

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

I've a similar noise from the front of my focus, must check the nuts at the top of the mount, just in case!

Did a bit more to the f31 today. New air filter first, very simple job, two clips just. The replacement filter comes in its own housing and drops in.

Then went to flush the brake fluid ahead of new discs arriving next week. Two rear wheels off first and pressure bleeder set up on reservoir. However couldn't get more than a drip at the caliper. Called local mechanic who said computer is needed for that job. Diy videos online show it being done traditional way, but who knows. Gave up on the brake bleed. Cleaned wheels when I had them off.

IMG_20180828_161920.jpg

Had a little help moving them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Diy videos online show it being done traditional way, but who knows. Gave up on the brake bleed. Cleaned wheels when I had them off.

IMG_20180828_161920.jpg

Were the wheels on the ground in the videos by any chance?

Id normally bleed back brakes with the wheels on the deck to open the brake balance valve, on my old traditional vehicles :p

Yeah I think that might be what was against me as the rears were up and fronts down. Never had an issue before though but can't remember how the car was sitting last time. Different car too. Just changed the fuel filter. Bit of a prick of a job lying on my back, and the plastic undertray has so many feckin screws holding it. The metal retaining clip that is used at one end of the filter needed a lot of persuasion to go back on too. Think its easier to pay a pro for this ****. All done now though so happy days.

Changed Air, Pollen and Fuel Filters, they were pretty manky.
    Fuel wasn't too bad but I have no pic due to diesely hands.
    Fuel filter is easier on the CW3 than the CN2 due to easier access the down side is you need an 88mm 15 flat filter remover to get it off.
    Honda genuine filters are actually cheaper than many spurious ones.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=460049&stc=1&d=1535747487
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=460050&stc=1&d=1535747487

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Oil and filter change on the Tiguan finally got myself a oil extractor really impressed!20180902_170002.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Bit more relaxed of a weekend, so had time to take pics... Sort of.

W126: Rad change. Badly needed!
    6lK2JsMh.jpg

A new rad cap will be ordered next, along with a viscous coupling

607: Understanding why the heater fan doesn't work. Cause: a complete brain dead gobsh*te bodged it :rolleyes:
    VHt3P0ah.jpg

This is meant to go into the resistor which was a lump of tape and a matchbox. I ceremoniously stamped on the bodged lump of tape/box and kicked it into the weeds
    onsBB34h.jpg

Cut the loom from another car. Pins nicely slide out
    eVQwZaUh.jpg

Old + replacement
    mNF64Jrh.jpg

It still doesn't work as I ran out of time chasing why there is no power getting to the motor (could be a fuse, knackered control unit, more monkey wiring etc) Gimme an evening at it ;)

And here I am still cleaning up after some other **** f*ckery... Why can't people even attempt to do things right!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Nothing fancy today just some cosmetic stuff, cleaning, and a new set of tyres for my "project" car. Its a 2004 Passat B5.5, 1.8T.
    • Started with a headlight restoration
    • Stuck on Heko Wind deflectors
    • Wire brushed and sanded the hubs & the back of the alloys
    • All calipers removed and painted (not sure why i went with blue, but it'll do)
    • New 16mm wheel spacers and elongated bolts
    • New set of 225 tyres all around
    • New set of VW logo centre caps
    • New VW tailored floor mats (not pictured)

Coupled with the previous work (installing the fogs, heater core, clutch, interior trim and accessories, brake pads, discs, and that only leaves the exterior bodywork. I've some sanding and spraying to do, but also a serious detailing job ahead.

After that it'll leave only the four shocks and a full service and she should be good to go.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Always loved them passats, still holding well!

• Advertisement

I had a slight vibration when braking from higher speeds. Also think the car was on its original disks, although fresh pads were put in by previous owner recently enough.

New pads, disks and sensor fitted this evening. Followed a bedding in process I found online and so far so good, vibration seems to be gone.

IMG-20180904-_WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20180904-_WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20180904-_WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20180905-_WA0001.jpg

Little teaser for something in the works...

xwJi9lN.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

xwJi9lN.jpg

03-545acffd49b21.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Replacing the rust with carbon fibre? Nice!

Sadly, no... not an RX7. I wish

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Sadly, no... not an RX7. I wish

Not what I was hinting at ;)

Bottom left of your pic looks like a headlight washer cover anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,402 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Changed the front pads in the civic tonight as the squeal was happening. Still a bit left on them which is amazing since I haven’t changed them in 6 years and 160k

Turns out it was the rear pads squealing on the back left which had a sticking calliper about 5 years ago, don’t think it’s sticking now but it’s much harder to do the back than the front because of the handbrake. Bah.

Still it was no harm doing the front ones. Probably should do front discs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Car was running so bad since yesterday, it was down on a coil so got 2 new ones and fitted as had replaced the other 2 about 2 years ago.

Had a set of platinum spark plugs so done them also.

The ones in it were ok but one was quite well covered in carbon I believe.

Running much sweeter now.

It was like driving a car with kangaroo petrol or just like my ma use to drive.... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Changed the front pads in the civic tonight as the squeal was happening. Still a bit left on them which is amazing since I haven’t changed them in 6 years and 160k

Turns out it was the rear pads squealing on the back left which had a sticking calliper about 5 years ago, don’t think it’s sticking now but it’s much harder to do the back than the front because of the handbrake. Bah.

Still it was no harm doing the front ones. Probably should do front discs too.

Are they the original discs? Hers were like soup dishes at 130k

If your doing them, do yourself a favour and follow this to save time and effort with those cuntish retaining screws

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5632095&postcount=12

replaced mine with allen bolts same pitch size coated with some anti seize to make the next lads job a bit easier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,402 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Are they the original discs? Hers were like soup dishes at 130k

If your doing them, do yourself a favour and follow this to save time and effort with those cuntish retaining screws

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5632095&postcount=12

replaced mine with allen bolts same pitch size coated with some anti seize to make the next lads job a bit easier

I don’t know if they’re the originals, they haven’t been changed as long as I’ve had it, but they may have been changed in the first 80k. Don’t have any record of them being done.

Advertisement