Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Looked into polybushing my E36. General consensus was unless I was racing it don't bother as it turns the ride to stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

The stiffness depends on the shore rating you use - off the shelf is stiff but you can pour your own few Vids on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

CJhaughey wrote: »
    New genuine droplinks on the Impreza, Packed the arb bushes out with a small section of timing belt, nice and tight now.
    Oil and filter change, and throttle body clean and idle relearning.
    Very easy to work on the boxer engines everything is easily accessible.

Except the spark plugs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Top Dog wrote: »

442855.jpg

That nearest axel stand doesn’t look too stable does it?.. (maybe it’s pic)
    Looks like the legs are positioned on the top slab where they overhang the lower slab.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭Top Dog

martyc5674 wrote: »
    That nearest axel stand doesn’t look too stable does it?.. (maybe it’s pic)
    Looks like the legs are positioned on the top slab where they overhang the lower slab.
    Could be the angle of the pic. I repositioned it 3 times to make sure the feet were properly on the slab.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Top Dog wrote: »
    Could be the angle of the pic. I repositioned it 3 times to make sure the feet were properly on the slab.

That (constructive ?) criticism did'nt take long. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Riva10 wrote: »
    That (constructive ?) criticism did'nt take long. :D

Safety is constructive. Certainly not criticism, you don’t get second chances with it.. at worst he’ll check out the position of it and be reassured it’s safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

dar_cool wrote: »
    Except the spark plugs!!

Nah they aren't that bad, rear coils turn 180 degrees and they just slide out.
    I did have to look up the FSM to see how it was done, the plug connector had me stumped for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

• Avensis: New oil + filter. Air filter and car cleaned up too
    • Santa Fe: drivers window reg + steering wheel replacement (which had to be sourced from another one on the same day)
    • Magentis: sort out reverse light switch + wiring
    • 300ZX: new wipers + manual TT ECU fitted. Didn't get to do my oil change
    • Bravo M-Jet: rh driveshaft seal on gearbox replacement

I guess only the Z and Avensis belong to me, but a productive Saturday nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

New thermostat in the E36. Didn't have any overheating problems but these thermostats are electrically heated and the heating element was broken so I replaced it

0YF0DFC.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

How was the DIY? Did it take you long? Mine was done 6 years back, it might need replacing soon!

How was the DIY? Did it take you long? Mine was done 6 years back, it might need replacing soon!

I had to get the fan out of the way which was 3 bolts, disconnected the connector and 2 rad hoses and undo the 4 bolts holding the thermostat in. About 30 mins work with refilling of the rad. Started it up and let it run for another 30 mins.

Gates brand thermostat for €50 from mister-auto. Same one in your car if you're looking. Couldn't find a better brand cheaper anywhere :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

shietpilot wrote: »
    I had to get the fan out of the way which was 3 bolts, disconnected the connector and 2 rad hoses and undo the 4 bolts holding the thermostat in. About 30 mins work with refilling of the rad. Started it up and let it run for another 30 mins.

Gates brand thermostat for €50 from mister-auto. Same one in your car if you're looking. Couldn't find a better brand cheaper anywhere :)

Perfect, yeah I'm used to removing that fan. Lost 1 of the screws, so only 2 for me! :p

Refilling the coolant is probably the worst part of the job! Cheers for the part advice, I might just do it tbh. I must make a list of DIYs for the spring/summer. The e46 needs some love.

Perfect, yeah I'm used to removing that fan. Lost 1 of the screws, so only 2 for me! :p

Refilling the coolant is probably the worst part of the job! Cheers for the part advice, I might just do it tbh. I must make a list of DIYs for the spring/summer. The e46 needs some love.

It's not that bad though. Interestingly changing the thermostat on the 6 pots is easier than the 4 pots. I did a water pump recently as well in preparation for the track day and dyno day.

The M54 2.5 ran 202 hp on the dyno which is not bad for a 192 hp engine from 2002 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Id like an M54 in the car someday. I always thought an s54 would be class but not so sure anymore, especially not for a daily.

The m20 is serving me well enough but if it does become a problem it'll not be another m20 going in there.

shietpilot wrote: »
    It's not that bad though. Interestingly changing the thermostat on the 6 pots is easier than the 4 pots. I did a water pump recently as well in preparation for the track day and dyno day.

The M54 2.5 ran 202 hp on the dyno which is not bad for a 192 hp engine from 2002 :D

Interesting. I doubt mine would put down those figures tbh. Have you done anything special to make those numbers? Mine is running well, sparks are fresh, oil fresh, standard airbox with a pipercross filter and that's it really. 142,000 miles on it though.

Interesting. I doubt mine would put down those figures tbh. Have you done anything special to make those numbers? Mine is running well, sparks are fresh, oil fresh, standard airbox with a pipercross filter and that's it really. 142,000 miles on it though.

M3 exhaust, M50 intake manifold, M54B30 throttle body (bigger diameter) and a remap :D
    vintagevrs wrote: »
    Id like an M54 in the car someday. I always thought an s54 would be class but not so sure anymore, especially not for a daily.

The m20 is serving me well enough but if it does become a problem it'll not be another m20 going in there.

I have wired a few M52 conversions (a 2.8 and 2.0) into an E30 before so if you ever want to go down that route, give me a shout :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,592 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Ms jou's car got new plates and new surrounds. Missus delighted, cat delighted. Happy days! :D

443106.jpg

443107.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

joujoujou wrote: »
    Ms jou's car got new plates and new surrounds. Missus delighted, cat delighted. Happy days! :D

443106.jpg

The cat distorted the reg number for you!! Mind tricks!! #catsusingtheforce

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Got the rear bumper protector taken off the golf - never liked it.

Got the full bumper resprayed as it wasnt going to come off easily. Tidies up the look of it I think

bumper_protector_before.png

bumper_protector_after.png

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Won it for peanuts (27 quid) off ebay. All bolts removed, iron made elements cleaned, primed and painted. Installed quickly despite cold weather.

444577.jpg

444578.jpg

444579.jpg

The way it's designed (sort of gas strut) leads me to conclusion it could be pre-tensioned during assembly. I'll try it maybe later next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That is one solid look strut bar especially the part the connects to the struts.

joujoujou wrote: »
    Won it for peanuts (27 quid) off ebay. All bolts removed, iron made elements cleaned, primed and painted. Installed quickly despite cold weather.

444577.jpg

444578.jpg

444579.jpg

The way it's designed (sort of gas strut) leads me to conclusion it could be pre-tensioned during assembly. I'll try it maybe later next week.
    They are designed by Yamaha to reduce NVH while still improving rigidity of the shock towers.

Unregistered Users

That is one solid look strut bar especially the part the connects to the struts.
    However the silver part is a gas strut. The small bit which goes in/out a cylinder is covered by a rubber boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Looks cool but not sure I understand the application. I thought a strut brace was to help prevent any deflection in the start towers and improve the rigidity of the front end, so the suspension geometry stays as it should. I would guess any deflection normally would be tiny anyway, so having bushings and a shock in there seems odd?

Unregistered Users

It looks like it's designed for reducing noise/vibrations rather than improving stiffness/handling IMO.

Subaru uses similar versions on its performance models, they aren't cheap though.
    444610.jpg

Unregistered Users

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Subaru uses similar versions on its performance models, they aren't cheap though.
    [...]

The one I got's not cheap either. Approx 700 euro + VAT if bought new from mr. T. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

Well today I scraped my car.
    Bought the civic in December 2006 and stopped driving it @ the end of 2015. Took it from 67K miles to 194K and in that time it behaved quite well overall bar an appetite for drop links!!!
    Goodbye Civic 1.6SE VTEC.... you served me well.
    [IMG][/img]39799942575_ae50817aa3_c.jpgcivic by Paul Carr, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]38884718680_0d5a109666_c.jpgcivic3 by Paul Carr, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]39799942255_a0f09fab73_c.jpgcivic1 by Paul Carr, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]26823514708_5c7147e910_c.jpgcivic2 by Paul Carr, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

You didn't need to bring it to a scrap yard just because you scraped it :pac:

Advertisement