Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Note has a real issue with eating bulbs for some reason. I'll have a actual look at the fittings when the weather improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

8SMUFyv.jpg

For such a beautiful car, how did they get the steering wheels on them so hideously wrong :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

There are certainly better looking wheels on the market, but that 3 spoke sport wheel is miles better than the 4 spoke.

I'd argue the 3 spoke one on the subsequent 7 series looks even worse.

7erInterior_1340-1024x530.jpg

The later one is bad but at least its black! Its like they are doing it on purpose so as to not make the inside too nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

8SMUFyv.jpg

I had an apartment with that colour carpet once - I used to have to take my shoes off in the hall as it was so easily marked. How do you cope in that? Are you frequently buying new mats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

joujoujou wrote: »
    One small festoon bulb's not enough to light up a boot...

447022.jpg

...so some LED strips to be used.

Here as well:

447023.jpg

A bit of soldering, crimping and some double sided tape applying:

447024.jpg

447025.jpg

Too lazy to cover wires at the moment, maybe later. ;)

Now, let there be light! :D

447026.jpg

Frig sake I hate when someone thinks of something 'deadly' before me sake...
    Anyway am doing that cool 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Great idea where did you source the led strips?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I had an apartment with that colour carpet once - I used to have to take my shoes off in the hall as it was so easily marked. How do you cope in that? Are you frequently buying new mats?

Nope first new set in the 4.5 years i've had it, I just clean them regularly. I also don't put my feet on them when I get in and out, just a habit I always had.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,571 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

crasy dash wrote: »
    Great idea where did you source the led strips?
    Bought 3 metres on reel off ebay some time ago. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

rex-x wrote: »
    For such a beautiful car, how did they get the steering wheels on them so hideously wrong :(

Striking, brave, unique, never heard the E65 called beautiful though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,304 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Here it is on the car anyway

65111_CF1-1118-4564-_A2_CF-611_F32734930.jpg

my only minor complaint would be that the blacks don't seem to match... got a bit of a mix between shiny and matt if that makes sense..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That's just personal choice. He could have painted it pink if he wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Picked up my new ramps today but the car was too low to go up them so I have ordered extensions. Went at the bonnet latches today and they seem to be completely gummed up. A bit of research suggests they should snap closed again but are sticking open so I will pick up some degreaser tomorrow to clean them up then regrease them. With a bit of luck that will fix the problem or else it will be new latches time.
    20180405_121526.jpg

20180405_122024.jpg

20180405_122033.jpg

20180405_122040_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

lawred2 wrote: »
    my only minor complaint would be that the blacks don't seem to match... got a bit of a mix between shiny and matt if that makes sense..

I think it looks fine but the lights need to be smoked for the look to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    I think it looks fine but the lights need to be smoked for the look to work.

Specifically didn’t want the brake lights smoked. Also keep in mind there’s a Perspex cover over it which makes the whole thing look shiney.

I didn’t quite seal it up right, there’s a little condensation on it. Will have to redo it next weekend,

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Plugged in my OBDII reader to see if I could determine the cause of my intermittent ABS faults, checked fault log while ABS fault lights were lit and nothing was there for ABS at all. But there is a fault logged for the camshaft position sensor. An easy to replace part so I think I'll order that now anyway. I'm going to pop the car up on stands and check the ABS sensor connections on both rear wheels. I have a feeling one might be loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭traco

Not today but over the weekend I had a go at trying to take the cats off. There is a blow from the flange where they connect to the headers. Splined studs on the cat side and used to be nuts on the header sides.

Got the back end of the cats loose, all O2 sensors disconnected. Nuts cut off and ready to go. Nothing, not a fraction of a mm. Had a small propane torch but that was a waste of time. Looks like Oxy Acetylene or Propylene needed and possibly an air chisel. Stuck at the moment and willing to listen to any suggestions.

Space is really tight, access for drilling is very poor and impossible for top studs. Took about 8 hours to get this far. I’d say they haven’t been touched in 15 years. So all original.

Advice on a postcard please.

Plugged in my OBDII reader to see if I could determine the cause of my intermittent ABS faults, checked fault log while ABS fault lights were lit and nothing was there for ABS at all. But there is a fault logged for the camshaft position sensor. An easy to replace part so I think I'll order that now anyway. I'm going to pop the car up on stands and check the ABS sensor connections on both rear wheels. I have a feeling one might be loose.

obd II doesnt read abs codes (or any codes beyond basic engine)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

rex-x wrote: »
    obd II doesnt read abs codes (or any codes beyond basic engine)

Ah! That explains it. Cheers.

Ah! That explains it. Cheers.

Yes obd is really a very basic view of whats happening to the engine only and will show certain live data and p codes (p0200 etc) beyond that you have manufacturer specific engine codes and live data which is much more detailed (you may have no codes on an obd reader but have 20 or 30 manufacturer specific codes that the obd reader cant see) And then you get into abs, airbags, climate control, instrument cluster etc which all have their own modules to be read by a good reader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

traco wrote: »
    Not today but over the weekend I had a go at trying to take the cats off. There is a blow from the flange where they connect to the headers. Splined studs on the cat side and used to be nuts on the header sides.

Got the back end of the cats loose, all O2 sensors disconnected. Nuts cut off and ready to go. Nothing, not a fraction of a mm. Had a small propane torch but that was a waste of time. Looks like Oxy Acetylene or Propylene needed and possibly an air chisel. Stuck at the moment and willing to listen to any suggestions.

Space is really tight, access for drilling is very poor and impossible for top studs. Took about 8 hours to get this far. I’d say they haven’t been touched in 15 years. So all original.

Advice on a postcard please.
    Can you get access to the flange with a cold chisel?
    Air chisel obviously better but a good hammer and a sharp chisel in that small gap will likely produce some movement.
    Once you have any movement at all it will allow you to move it and get it free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭traco

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Can you get access to the flange with a cold chisel?
    Air chisel obviously better but a good hammer and a sharp chisel in that small gap will likely produce some movement.
    Once you have any movement at all it will allow you to move it and get it free.

Gave that a try - its tight in there and I'm afraid of whacking it to hard and doing something to the headers. Screwfix have an air chisel for €28 so just ordered that as it could be a handy tool to have and at that price you can't really go wrong. Just waiting for it to arrive and the plan then is to get some one on the opposite side to the air chisel with a piece of timber heavy bar to resist pressure and hopefully it will pop. Rinse and repeat on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

XQ8X1tD.jpg

TsQL2vM.jpg

isTslMP.jpg

bDI8i0G.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭honda boi

That's lovely toast!!!

honda boi wrote: »
    That's lovely toast!!!

Yeah, amazing work! Looking forward to better weather to get some jobs done myself this year.

I did have the car up on stands last night, NCT approaching and an intermittent ABS fault. In the past when I've had this it's been the speed sensors in the rear of the car. And in one case it was as simple as the sensor connection having become loose after I had installed it. I was hoping to find something easy, but I don't think there was anything that blatantly wrong. I did reseat the drivers side rear sensor connection and hope for the best. Started the car a couple of times and no errors, but the fault is intermittent so that's no guarantee really.

NCT is looming, I think I might take out the rear right sensor completely and clean it. It should be a handy job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

honda boi wrote: »
    That's lovely toast!!!

With a username like that I thought you might appreciate it alright!

This lot is next after the wheels come back from a top coat.

wScEm6I.jpg

zeSlkz3.jpg

gP8hYYO.jpg

When I read the codes earlier in the week hoping to find ABS codes, I found a fault logged for the cam position sensor. Turns out a faulty sensor will reduce performance considerably, especially higher in the rev range. I replaced the part today, about 10 minutes worth of work. Nice and easy. Took her for a test drive, holy fook the difference in power and pickup at higher rpms. It feels like I gained 20hp! And this fault wasn't even throwing a EML. Woohoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭cletus

So did the first service on wife's grand scenic II, and all I can say is fück French car manufacturers and the stupid way they design cars

cletus wrote: »
    So did the first service on wife's grand scenic II, and all I can say is fück French car manufacturers and the stupid way they design cars

Its not just the french, try a BMW n47 air filter or a nissan primera oil filter etc.... cars in general are just sh1t :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They design them so you nearly need a lift and all sorts of different type/style tools to fit.

Cnunts....

Advertisement