Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Dropped her off for her surgery in the morning :eek:

440824.jpg

440825.jpg

Wallet has taken a battering :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

What happened the first one, Top Dog? I must have missed an update :D

166man wrote: »
    What happened the first one, Top Dog? I must have missed an update :D
    The first ST? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Top Dog wrote: »
    The first ST? :confused:

166Man means the light blue ST above!

job seeker wrote: »
    166Man means the light blue ST above!
    Ah. Thats Machine Silver. Reflection of a rare blue sky and a blue car beside it make it look like a light blue ;)

Same guy who fitted my clutch went through the silver one from nose to tail about 2 weeks after I got it. It needed about 1300 spent on it to have it mechanically where I'd want it, and even after that I'd have had a car with relatively poor bodywork and over 190k on the clock. :rolleyes: So I just parked it and bought another. :o Kept it for a while in case I need bits for the blue one, and then I'll probably break/scrap it. Its a pity, as it's nicely mapped and pretty quick for an old diesel, but financially its not worth the investment. :(

So far its offered up headlights, exhaust, spare wheel, tool kit. Don't think I'll need much more. And I've already sold the stereo & speakers so its not standing us much at all now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,571 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Nothing major this time. Just aftermarket radio frame adapter and new plates.

441239.jpg

441240.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Is that the dash pocket our of your E11 jou?

Unregistered Users

Yep, the very one indeed. :D

Had to fill the gap with something. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Does the factory radio on them not have a trip computer with range, mpg etc so are you not kind of losing that functionality by going aftermarket ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

CIP4 wrote: »
    Does the factory radio on them not have a trip computer with range, mpg etc so are you not kind of losing that functionality by going aftermarket ?

It does but the screens are prone to failing in them.

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

It does alright, but it has no USB nor mp3 playability though. And I am one of the few to calculate fuel consumption only based on what amount I refueled and mileage done, so didn't really need it. However I admit it'd be great to have a use of mode + volume buttons on the steering wheel, but I can live without it I think. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

joujoujou wrote: »
    It does alright, but it has no USB nor mp3 playability though. And I am one of the few to calculate fuel consumption only based on what amount I refueled and mileage done, so didn't really need it. However I admit it'd be great to have a use of mode + volume buttons on the steering wheel, but I can live without it I think. ;)

I'm with you I cannot listen to the **** on the radio for too long before I switch back to my own MP3's. It depends on my mood some days for a while I can listen to the radio but it can start to really annoy me so I would switch back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

You can buy an adapter to enable the steering wheel controls

Unregistered Users

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    You can buy an adapter to enable the steering wheel controls
    Thank you. The only thing I'm afraid of is if I buy one and it won't work. :(

Any decent online place to look up?

Thank you. The only thing I'm afraid of is if I buy one and it won't work. :(

Any decent online place to look up?
    Autoleads have the most comprehensive range. I've their steering wheel adapter and wiring harness in the Mondeo - works exactly as it should.

I used their site to find what I needed, then ordered off eBay. Halfords carry them too if thats more convenient for you ;)

Unregistered Users

Thank you again. Just bought this on ebay. Jack lead for my pioneer unit included.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Car got new oil and filter last night. Also fixed the cabin fan properly this time, no more noise from it. Hopefully it lasts. Front fog light is fogging up so took it out. Small chip in glass letting in moisture so might order two new glass for them soon. Looks like a fiddly job though taking the old glass off with a Stanley etc so no panic on that. They're easily cracked too being so close to the road, esp on Irish roads.
    Also adjusted my drivers window as when it was up there was a small whistle from it. Door card off and found a little bolt in there that allows adjustment of the angle of the glass so happy days that's done, it was bugging me.

IMG_20180211_141116.jpg

Spent today under the car. I need a new half shafts as the CV joint on the right rear is the source of a little clunk that's been bugging me. Glad it's that as thought it may have been diff back lash being out, which I wouldn't tackle myself. Other than that all looks good in there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Overdue a service.. oil & fuel filter, oil change, air filter and greased the driveshafts. 100 quid for the bits and the joy of servicing your own at home

441639.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Those landcruisers are so easy to service, i like the plate under the oil filter that catches any drips and pipes them down to the waste oil container that the sump is draining into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Those landcruisers are so easy to service, i like the plate under the oil filter that catches any drips and pipes them down to the waste oil container that the sump is draining into.

Easiest thing I've ever worked on, with the exception of a Ferguson tractor.. and at that, the handbrake mechanism in the drum on the cruiser is almost identical to the Ferguson's brakes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

Well I haven't actually done anything with them yet I did buy 4 spark plugs for my corolla T-sport. €60!! They should usually be €20 each he said;)

There is 130K miles on the clock. Not sure they were ever done before. I've had it from 75K. Apparently they last 100?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

breadbin wrote: »
    Well I haven't actually done anything with them yet I did buy 4 spark plugs for my corolla T-sport. €60!! They should usually be €20 each he said;)

There is 130K miles on the clock. Not sure they were ever done before. I've had it from 75K. Apparently they last 100?

60 isn't bad at all. My civic takes 8 spark plugs. A total cost of 120-130 euro..

job seeker wrote: »
    60 isn't bad at all. My civic takes 8 spark plugs. A total cost of 120-130 euro..

Them civics take 8 spark plugs? I didn't know that anyone know the reason behind it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Them civics take 8 spark plugs? I didn't know that anyone know the reason behind it?

Actually it isnt that uncommon at all for cars to ave 8 plugs, think Alfa twinspark :) Its used mainly for emissions to get a cleaner burn

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The flame front from the spark spreads at a certain rate, at high revs the front doesn't get a chance to completely burn the fuel in the cylinder before the piston begins its downwards motion, the addition of another plug allows two flame fronts to get a better burn and reduce emissions as Rex-x has said.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Because it has Dual & sequential ingnition. The 1.8 I vtec only has 4 spark plugs.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The flame front from the spark spreads at a certain rate, at high revs the front doesn't get a chance to completely burn the fuel in the cylinder before the piston begins its downwards motion, the addition of another plug allows two flame fronts to get a better burn and reduce emissions as Rex-x has said.

And here I was thinking there was some Civic out there in a V8!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭blade1

breadbin wrote: »
    And here I was thinking there was some Civic out there in a V8!

:)
    1znbj8g.jpg

blade1 wrote: »
    :)
    1znbj8g.jpg

Love the reg!

• Advertisement

rex-x wrote: »
    Actually it isnt that uncommon at all for cars to ave 8 plugs, think Alfa twinspark :) Its used mainly for emissions to get a cleaner burn

I knew about alfas twin spark but I honestly never knew that Honda had twin spark plug engines.

Advertisement