Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Small fix; I spotted I had become a one eyed monster today, front right dipped light gone. Changed the bulb, still gone. Checked the fuse, all ok.
    A year or two ago, the headlight connectors had imploded, well burnt away. It's a 04 focus, MK1.
    Picked up some connectors in Halfords but must have been in a hurry as I'd bodged the connections together with the existing wires. The bodged stopped working it seems, so hooked them together with proper connectors and all well again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

In celebration of the car passing it's NCT yesterday, I said I'd treat it to the service that it was long overdue. When I bought it, the car had a full Honda service history, it had recently went over 120k kms at which point it's due an oil change, it's first ever set of spark plugs and a gearbox oil change.

I said I'd go for two of the three as the gearbox is going good and I think it's best to leave well enough alone because I'm sure if something goes wrong with the i-shift box the car will be a write off because nobody will know how to fix it, so I done the engine oil and plugs.

Also said I'd treat the bodywork to a few touch ups where necessary. There were one of two marks that were annoying me because so they were scratched down to the black plastic. I touched them up with VW LD7R grey which is pretty similar and it was also free, one of my favourite prices.

20170826_121639.jpg

20170826_113103.jpg

20170826_184247.jpg

20170826_184316.jpg

If you can't really see the touch ups, that must mean they are somewhat decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,592 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...]

20170826_184247.jpg

[...]

Nice shoes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Puma Suede Classics, a timeless runner.

suede-classic-casual-sneakers-from-finish-line-original-153991.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

joujoujou wrote: »
    Nice shoes. :D

I thought first you meant the Turanzas :D

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

I thought first you meant the Turanzas :D

Didn't even notice them to be honest. :o

=====================

Long time overdue wheel caps for 26 years old alloys I got some time ago.

The worst thing is there's no option to buy genuine ones, and the ones you can buy, will not fit, so had to adapt what I got off ebay.

Tools required - file + sandpaper + what you see below:

426243.jpg

Before and after:

426244.jpg

All 4 done:

426245.jpg

Set of stickers off ebay:

426246.jpg

And here ya go:

426247.jpg

Final word: I am NOT happy. Old design is not compatible with caps you can buy today. I'm pretty sure I will loose them very quickly. Anyway, I did what I could with what I was able to get, the only option I can see is to find someone who can 3D print something better. If you know someone, give me a shout.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

shietpilot wrote: »
    Not many pictures but I wasn't planning to make a post :)

Fitted a new clutch kit to the E36
    I88Kjcf.jpg?1

Somehow got the box back on :D
    8Xgzfnt.jpg?1

Picked up a chassis to front subframe X-brace
    F3Eqxf5.jpg?1

Fitted the X-brace
    sVpBQLZ.jpg?1

Resprayed the rear parcel shelf with fabric paint as it was fading from black into a purple
    QpQ5TDS.jpg?1

Picked up a new set of black leather door cards for the rear
    lbMv8PH.jpg?1

Fitted the door cards, sprayed the C-pillar trim and fitted headrests for the rear seats
    BxoRMnl.jpg?1

Going to go at the full headliner and get it black soon enough. Also searching for front door cards at the minute :)

You did the clutch on axle stands? Big respect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Autochange wrote: »
    You did the clutch on axle stands? Big respect

Yep :) Not the first time and not the last :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

shietpilot wrote: »
    Yep :) Not the first time and not the last :D

It beats a pair of scissor jacks in fairness.:pac:

pablo128 wrote: »
    It beats a pair of scissor jacks in fairness.:pac:

using-jack-stands.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Started tinkering with my new car over the weekend (well new to me ). My 5 series comes with the professional package but it was running maps which were from 2014. Acquired a cable from ebay to allow me to query the car via E-Sys to permit me to install the latest mapping. Now running the latest and greatest mapping.

426451.jpg

I also invested in a dashcam due to a number of recent incidents in addition to a huge number of people who break read lights by a considerable margin (>2sec frequently!). After much deliberation and not wanting to go messing with SD cards every time I wanted to get footage I decided to get a Blackvue DR650-2Ch which has wifi. Its also very discreet which is what I like.

I have it hardwired on a switched live circuit (same circuit as the cigarette lighter). The dash cam circuit is fused via a 2A fuse on a fuse tap (the cam itself draws only 1A collectively for both front and rear cams).

I dont know why BMW decided to put the front fuse panel a foot or so behind the dash accessible via a postbox (for the want of a better description)! I ended up removing the lower part of the dash to get the necessary room to do the wiring to wire an auxiliary 12v power point hidden in the dash end. I wrapped the 12V power point in wiring loom tape to prevent rattles and cable tied it and the excess cable to keep it tidy.

426453.jpg

426454.jpg

All fitted, working and discreet:

426452.jpg

426455.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Both are difficult to spot: External view:

426457.jpg

426458.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

OOOops! I forgot to post my progress here. So I'll just post the link and if you like, you can have a look! :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057781018

• Registered Users Posts: 12,275 ✭✭✭✭blade1

About to NCT it right now.
    IMG_20170907_164548.jpg

And passed! :)
    If it didn't I probably would have had a banger there on the spot!:pac:

IMG_20170907_174230_01_01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What age do they start testing for emissions?

What age do they start testing for emissions?

As far as I know,never on a hybrid.
    Tested like an electric I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

blade1 wrote: »
    As far as I know,never on a hybrid.
    Tested like an electric I think.

Interesting you got it there and then, have heard people testing a Prius and other hybrids and having to wait for it to come in the post as emissions can't be tested at standstill. They have possibly changed things and about time too.

Interesting you got it there and then, have heard people testing a Prius and other hybrids and having to wait for it to come in the post as emissions can't be tested at standstill. They have possibly changed things and about time too.

Yeah they must have got more used to doing hybrids.
    I mentioned it to him when I went in that the car won't rev unless in drive and he said no problem, it won't be tested for emissions.
    Didn't do the normal brake test either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Agreed usual precautions taken - that tool just makes the whole job so much harder ,I should know I used to have one! Having said that the only stubborn plugs I've dealt with are the 99 fiesta ones

When putting back use piece of garden hose to thread them on to avoid cross threading then torque to manufacturer specs with some copper grease on threads.

I'm sirry but there is absolutely zero need to use a torque wrench to fit spark plugs. Put them in, tighten them up fully till the crush washer closes then unscrew it again a turn or too and re-tighten hand tight plus 1/2 a turn to be sure. They do not need to be stupidly tight and certainly no need for a torque wrench.

I've been servicing my own cars for close to 30yrs and never had a problem taking a spark plug out. Put a small dab of oil on the threads before fitting and you'll never have trouble removing them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I'm sirry but there is absolutely zero need to use a torque wrench to fit spark plugs. Put them in, tighten them up fully till the crush washer closes then unscrew it again a turn or too and re-tighten hand tight plus 1/2 a turn to be sure. They do not need to be stupidly tight and certainly no need for a torque wrench.

I've been servicing my own cars for close to 30yrs and never had a problem taking a spark plug out. Put a small dab of oil on the threads before fitting and you'll never have trouble removing them.
    The plugs on older Fords are a tapered fit, and don't have a crush washer. If they are overtightened, they can be a right bastard to loosen.

It mightn't be common practice but its a good idea to torque those type of plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Sure I have the torque wrench and a pretty decent one at that anyway so no harm really torquing to specs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Sure I have the torque wrench and a pretty decent one at that anyway so no harm really torquing to specs

absolutely no need to though.

Unregistered Users

Some manufacturers put tightening angle diagrams on the box, like below. Simple and handy. :)

427733.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Would love to see the test conditions there claiming the difference in performance. I would have thought running the same car over and over again to a 150km/h would have at least a 1s fluctuation in times regardless of sparkplug used.

The LSD in my car had lost some of it's bite and needed some new clutch plates So today with the help of a friend I dropped my diff and went at it. All went well, one hiccup with a rounded bolt prob held us up by two hours but other than that very straightforward. Immediately can tell the difference now in the behavior of the car. Very happy.

IMG_20170921_154350.jpg

IMG_20170921_154750.jpg

IMG_20170921_154754.jpg

IMG-20170921-_WA0003.jpg

IMG-20170921-_WA0001.jpg

Good job man :) What size diff is that? Medium?

Yeah it's medium case. The car came with a 4.1 open which was tired. The shorter ratio meant cruising was a but of a pain too with high rpm. This is a medium case LSD I put in it almost a year ago. Was told it was perfect, it wasn't.....

Should have serviced the diff before fitting it but still learning. Would have saved fitting it twice.

New gaskets and seals, new clutch plates and oil and it's running sweet now.

King of the cone next year for me now :)

Have you looked into adding an extra clutch plate for 40% lock instead of 25%? Seems like it's an easy mod on BMW LSDs, replacing a spacer with a clutch pack.

• Advertisement

Yeah it is very straightforward but I want to leave it stock to get a feel for stock first. I was looking into that and also modifying the ramp angle.

A potential issues on adding an extra clutch pack is then you have two clutches on one side and only one on the other. Some say this makes no difference and others say you get more lock on one wheel. TBH I can't get my head around it so not sure if it would have a negative effect.

I think adding an extra clutch main benefit is that it will last longer as there's 50% more material in there so should last longer.

Changing the ramp angle I believe makes the most noticable difference. Makes the most sense to me . It changes the locking behaviour as it will lock up much easier with a more shallow ramp, meaning you don't have to rag the **** out of it or dump the clutch for slidy mc drifts.

Advertisement