Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Love this thread. Some amazing work being done!

Another year with the e46, another oil service. Once again I sucked out the oil rather than lifting the car. My driveway is on a steep slope, and the road outside is where I do any work, but there's cars driving by regularly enough in the estate so it would be sketchy to be under it. But how and ever, I spent a while with the pump getting the oil out, put on some pink floyd to listen to and enjoyed the bits of sunshine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

pablo128 wrote: »
    23 euro for these 2 parts. Cruise control for my dads 2013 Auris he got recently. Stay tuned for fitting tomorrow. According to YouTube it should take 10 or 15 minutes.

I fitted these 2 hours ago. I disconnected the battery, popped off the airbag,(it has a spring loaded quick release), fitted the part with 2 Philips screws provided. I plugged it into a port on the steering wheel, pressed the airbag back into place, and fitted the new cover on the side of the steering wheel with the cutout for the new switch. Reconnected the battery, brought it for a test drive and it works perfectly as it should.

TrailerBob wrote: »
    If it's a manual gearbox, you'll need an auto cancel switch for the clutch pedal too.

This car needs the clutch to be pressed while starting, so it must already have that switch. I actually fitted cruise to my own car about 6 weeks ago. 05 Avensis D4D. That didn't need a switch on the clutch pedal either.

That was a much more involved effort, needing holes drilled and a hole cut in the side of the steering wheel, and the wiring wasn't as straightforward either. Having said that, it works as it should on my car too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Anyone know if this part is available as a separate part on a 02 16v Clio Gearbox
    78y3KVO.jpg

Release bearing failed on the brothers 02 Clio and took this with it.

nd wrote: »
    Anyone know if this part is available as a separate part on a 02 16v Clio Gearbox
    78y3KVO.jpg

Release bearing failed on the brothers 02 Clio and took this with it.

Very common occurrence on older Puntos. Some cars you can replace that sleeve, but by the looks of that gearbox you can't.
    I'd say you would buy an 02 Clio now cheaper than paying someone to change a gearbox.

I could be wrong though.http://m.ebay.com/itm/162496322062?_mwBanner=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

This car needs the clutch to be pressed while starting, so it must already have that switch. I actually fitted cruise to my own car about 6 weeks ago. 05 Avensis D4D. That didn't need a switch on the clutch pedal either.

That was a much more involved effort, needing holes drilled and a hole cut in the side of the steering wheel, and the wiring wasn't as straightforward either. Having said that, it works as it should on my car too.

Sound job, hadn't thought of the newer start set up with the clutch. Did it to the cruiser a couple of months ago and it needed the switch. Carry on..

TrailerBob wrote: »
    Sound job, hadn't thought of the newer start set up with the clutch. Did it to the cruiser a couple of months ago and it needed the switch. Carry on..

You're on the right track though. My research tells me that the older 1.4 Auris would need that clutch switch, both petrol and diesel. But the MK2 Auris doesn't need it.

I actually promised my dad this for fathers day. But between researching it, ordering bits from China and the UK, and then going on holiday, it only got fitted a few hours ago!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

So the e30 was due an oil change this weekend. So far she has been getting fresh oil every 4k miles in my ownership over the last year, about 20k miles so far. On Friday on the way home from work after some spirited driving the car developed a loud tap from the engine in time with rpm. I was pretty sure it was one of the valve rockers that had moved. I was planning to get the feeler guages out soon anyway as I bought a rocker cover gasket a few months ago and it was time to do the valve clearances anyway.

So here's what's under the bonnet...

IMG_20170806_095554.jpg

Rocker cover comes off easily. The m20 is a single cam, 6 cylinder so 12 adjustments in total to do the job. Sure enough, one was a complete mile out so there was the cause of the extra tapping noise.

IMG_20170806_100734.jpg

To turn the engine over to allow me to adjust the clearance on each valve I jacked up the rear, put the car in 5th gear, took out the spark plugs and then turn the rear wheel.

IMG_20170806_103505.jpg

Spark plugs out so may as well change them. Went for NGKs again but a different plug as recommended on some of the forums. Probably all the same.

Here's my system for marking each one as it's done off. Just touch the number on the sheet with an oily hand does the trick. :)
    IMG_20170806_111806.jpg

New rocker gasket and plugs fitted too. This fecker was pricey enough.

IMG-20170806-_WA0009.jpg

All screwed back together...
    IMG-20170806-_WA0013.jpg

15020225070472028147970.jpg

New oil, oil filter and air filter in and turn the key. Normally after this there's a bit of placebo effect going on but she's absolutely flying again.

Happy days.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

vintagevrs wrote: »
    New oil, oil filter and air filter in and turn the key. Normally after this there's a bit of placebo effect going on but she's absolutely flying again.

Happy days.

I am convinced I fall into the placebo effect after my oil/filters changes. I could swear things are smoother and the car pulls better. Deep down I know it likely made little difference though!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭scannerd

Decided to do the rear lower ball joints on my bmw e92, old ones where gone so didnt worry about finishing them off takeing them, had the new ones ready to go TWR which is BMW OEM. open the boxes and they are too small, had go online so thought i might have ordered the wrong ones, but nope order the right codes - Wrong parts put on the boxes, not making my day.

Knew i had an set i had order to upgrade my old E46 few years ago but never fitted, got them out and they where the right ones!! (but would not have fitted the e46)

some times 2 wrongs do make a right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

To be fair, what little difference to feel and oil change would make, setting valve clearance and having fresh plugs should make a huge improvement in the feel of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Grills are off to begin respray. Got the primer and first coat done so far. Will be giving it another two coats later and tomorrow and will see how it is. Satin/Gloss black.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

To turn the engine over to allow me to adjust the clearance on each valve I jacked up the rear, put the car in 5th gear, took out the spark plugs and then turn the rear wheel.

Good tip. I have been turning the crank with a wrench, and destroying my knuckles so far. :rolleyes:

Can be a bit of a tedious job IMHO, but it's very rewarding when you hear the straight six sounding silky smooth again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Good tip. I have been turning the crank with a wrench, and destroying my knuckles so far. :rolleyes:

Can be a bit of a tedious job IMHO, but it's very rewarding when you hear the straight six sounding silky smooth again. :)

Yeah I did it via the crank once and it's a tight squeeze alright, put a breaker bar on one of the wheel studs too, makes turning the wheel even easier.

Is yours an e30 too?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Yeah I did it via the crank once and it's a tight squeeze alright, put a breaker bar on one of the wheel studs too, makes turning the wheel even easier.

Is yours an e30 too?

E24 M30 motor, but similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭DanielGibbons

You're on the right track though. My research tells me that the older 1.4 Auris would need that clutch switch, both petrol and diesel. But the MK2 Auris doesn't need it.

I actually promised my dad this for fathers day. But between researching it, ordering bits from China and the UK, and then going on holiday, it only got fitted a few hours ago!:o

Could you give me a link for this info?

Would you be able to give us a link to where you dug out this info?

My parents have a 2011 Avensis... This would be a great upgrade, if it was easy :)

Could you give me a link for this info?

Would you be able to give us a link to where you dug out this info?

My parents have a 2011 Avensis... This would be a great upgrade, if it was easy :)

Its genuinely dead easy. I'll have a look later and pm you some links.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Did a bit of remapping the other day to make the cars go faster ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

bmstuff wrote: »

Are you still doing the audio installs, haven't seen anything from you in ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭Top Dog

bmstuff wrote: »
    What sort of power is the pre-LCI 535d good for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

3 coats of satin black and clear lacquer later-

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Are you still doing the audio installs, haven't seen anything from you in ages!

Sure

Top Dog wrote: »
    What sort of power is the pre-LCI 535d good for?

You are looking at 320HP from 272 and 660 torque from 560
    Stage 1. Perfectly safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Thomas16

Hi,

My car's (VW golf 1.4 petrol 2007 model) airbag warning light is being ON.
    I went a local garage, he got error code as Airbag Control Module fault.

Anybody has any experience on these type fault?
    Do we need to replace module?
    OR Could be repaired this?

Thank You

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

It could be the module under the passenger seat. The wiring could have got snagged on something and moved the multiplug going into the module thus generating the fault. Disconnect it and just plug it back in, hopefully the light goes out then. There's no guarantee's that's it but it's something you can try yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Is there suppose to be pictures?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Is there suppose to be pictures?
    I'm seeing pics Wotz, but to be fair that's no indication. Funny enough W, when I don't log in, I see nada, but do when I do. As it were. Maybe it's a cache thing?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'm seeing pics Wotz, but to be fair that's no indication.

None for me anyway. We will just have to wait and see if someone else can see them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭jprboy

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'm seeing pics Wotz, but to be fair that's no indication. Funny enough W, when I don't log in, I see nada, but do when I do. As it were. Maybe it's a cache thing?
    None for me anyway. We will just have to wait and see if someone else can see them.

No, can't see them either

Advertisement