Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Voodoo man, the sensible way is a second hand dipstick I spose ... but at one point I did work with a guy who had a sideline 3d printing plastic parts for cars. Mx5 dipstick were a common problem apparently... maybe a 3d printed plastic part might be a solution for considering there aren't too many jags around?

We have a 3D printer, they're class little weapons! Very slow though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

3d printed would work, but how would you attach it to the dipstick? It would have to be formed around the metal, which might be possible?

I have a chap in the UK lined up to provide ABS sensor, door seals and a dipstick so might be set. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

3d printed would work, but how would you attach it to the dipstick? It would have to be formed around the metal, which might be possible?

I have a chap in the UK lined up to provide ABS sensor, door seals and a dipstick so might be set. :)
    I wondered that myself, never realised myself what yer man was up to "in the real world" while I worked across the way ... It was a rather strange work environment!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Ah you've never experienced super cheap german plastic air boxes and battery covers... lucky you!

Self tappers very handy for holding things together when plastic shenzen would be ashamed of fails!

Actually now you mention it you have reminded me that a Renault master we had, had a nice few zippys as we call them (self tapping screws) all along the air intake to secure it, it was very loose before them we had a Renault trafic same thing with the zippy screws. I forgot all about them. But I was really only thinking of doing up loosening factory screws when I made the comment not for making modifications :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Mystery solved... epoxy or glue

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111960190667

So a replacement for completely missing handles I guess... If you still have the broken bit just epoxy the sh1t outta it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Love the pics, Voodoomelon. Both quality and content wise. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Interesting little project Voodoo. I'm interested to hear what those tyres are like.

Also that is one wild looking intake plenum/manifold on that S-Type

• Registered Users Posts: 13,571 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Corolla's 4ZZ-FE engine performance upgrade preparations.

As mentioned before, there are confirmed informations that 4ZZ engine fitted with 1ZZ throttle body + intake manifold (some newer engines must have exhaust manifold changed as well) gains both bhp and torque.

The Problem: throttle position sensors are not interchangeable even if wire loom is modified - plugs are different alright, but most important is, that sensors outputs are significantly different and ECU obviously won't deal with that. And the only model using those sensors in 4ZZ engines are facelift E11 Corollas. Other models have same sensors like the ones in 1ZZ engines.

Additionally, sensors shapes are completely different as well. facepalm.gif

Shafts are different, mounting holes have different dimensions:

01shafts.jpg

So 4ZZ sensor must be modified to go to 1ZZ TB - 2 cuts inside, one hole "moved" (needle files involved):

02sensors.jpg

TB itself must also be modified to fit an adaptor plate for another hole (9mm difference is too much for needle file and too close to sensor's housing):

03mpcut.jpg

Adaptor plate (+ some drilling and threading). Guess where I took it from? :D

04drilled.jpg

Decided to use threadlock, cos unsure if out of factory spec solutions would be reliable...

05threadlock.jpg

Adaptor plate on its place...

06adaplate_on.jpg

...and sensor too:

07alldone.jpg

BONUS: In the meantime made my well deserved dinner:

08papu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

That sausage isn't going to come back to life anyway!!!!

Unregistered Users

That sausage isn't going to come back to life anyway!!!!
    I'd never let it to. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

So I got a new car car the other week. It's an 05 Colt Czt that I posted about considering buying.

1D4004EC-F27E-4124-8EF5-E32203A524D3_zpsqgqcnsky.jpg
    1F713E92-2B56-458F-B893-18E57E7A65DB_zpsojsce6ej.jpg

Cosmetically it's a bit rough and seems to have had a hard life but mechanically sound. Got a full service last week so figured I'd try tackle some of the cosmetics. The wheels are really badly painted in a matte black and look pretty feral at the moment. Hadn't painted anything before and want to do it on a budget so picked up some rattle cans and did a practice run on the spare wheel and to decide the colour. I want to do them in a gunmetal/dark grey.

First of all gave it a good wash, Sanded it down and applied a couple of coats of primer.

5F635C32-9963-4E6C-A668-00E80E76FDAD_zpsdxkalig6.jpgApplied the first coat of paint64C90CBD-9B19-4746-91FC-FAE53AAC7801_zps3v5sjmlq.jpg

And finally a few coats of lacquer.

E6DFA129-5B16-4BE6-9B9B-3C75924B4E07_zpsk4v2dsvu.jpg

Reasonably happy with how they turned out for a first time. Some imperfections that could be sorted with more prep so I'll keep that in mind when I do the wheels. Just need to get some axle stands next week and do the rest of the wheels.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Went for a spin on the motorway and had some horrible noise start whenever I got about 100km/h, it was a buffeting noise, and stopped when you slowed, got home and noticed that the undertray for the engine wasn't on correctly, I'm hoping that was all it was! Made some noise!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Went for a spin on the motorway and had some horrible noise start whenever I got about 100km/h, it was a buffeting noise, and stopped when you slowed, got home and noticed that the undertray for the engine wasn't on correctly, I'm hoping that was all it was! Made some noise!

Yeah it would have been flapping and causing mad buffeting due to the turbulence! I'm sure all is grand :)

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Interesting little project Voodoo. I'm interested to hear what those tyres are like.

It's a mad looking manifold alright. Pain in the ass at the same time if the plugs need changing, the whole thing has to be unbolted to get at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Took off the chrome kidney grills, cleaned then up and gave them 3 coats of matt black. Looks well! Will be drying fully over night and I'll put them back on in the morning and get a few pictures.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

YbFocus wrote: »
    Yeah it would have been flapping and causing mad buffeting due to the turbulence! I'm sure all is grand :)

All good! It sounded like I was about to lose a wheel! Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

YbFocus wrote: »

What kind of pigeon was that :eek:

What kind of pigeon was that :eek:

I don't know but it doesn't sound like it was a very fancy one anyway. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Ded_Zebra wrote: »

They're all a bit mental-looking. They split in two, three one side and three the other, via automatic valves known as IMT, inlet manifold tuning. There's seals around them that perish occasionally and cause lean-outs.

Interesting, could be the cause of the engine light, i've seen the manifold removed online, looks simple enough to get at the gaskets.

All my diagnostics are for BMWs, so can't read the Jag's codes. Have a cheapy bluetooth reader arriving this week, hopefully it can pull the code.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Just in the door from work and said I'd throw them back on before I go to sleep. Dried up well,nice even coats did the trick. The car needs a good wash but overall happy with how they came out!

2d7yhkw.jpg

Unregistered Users

rizzee wrote: »
    Just in the door from work and said I'd throw them back on before I go to sleep. Dried up well,nice even coats did the trick. The car needs a good wash but overall happy with how they came out!

[...]

383567.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭blade1

blade1 wrote: »
    F7A28759-5871-44F7-ABB8-5C09571AF9D4_zpstxgxl3bq.jpg

Some stuff arrived today!
    I'm trying to resist the urge to go at the car in the afternoon as I'm just finished work and wouldn't mind taking it easy for the day.

Price of fuel filter was saucy enough at €52 so the 15% micks garage discount and free postage came in handy!

Stuck into this today.
    Had old disc and pads out and as i was fitting the new ones, realised they were different sizes to the old ones.:mad:
    New discs were too small and the pads were too big.
    Luckily it's free to return them so they are gone back and should have the right ones in the morning.

Got to change the fuel filter anyway.
    A bit of a pain with the car on the ground but not much to it.

Remove a panel to reveal filter
    0FC0DB5C-578C-4ECB-B591-F7681A5C3AA0_zpshnvefxsd.jpg

Unbolt bracket for handbrake cable and swap one line at a time.
    Half way there!
    9A31E26B-6579-4D5F-A3DF-DCD77770B088_zpsk0dov3ff.jpg

And that's the new one in with just a few drops of petrol spilled!!:D
    E049DC32-E464-4412-9F8E-E62B7150B449_zpsn6kuudwo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭blade1

The correct discs and pads arrived at 8.15 and i have the week off work so able to fit them straight away.
    Thats one side done
    0573FFCE-D4FE-4B96-BFE0-B33A7B105A55_zpsz6jl2cns.jpg

I also needed this really expensive windback tool for the caliper pistons!!:D
    BD56D312-6620-4912-BD29-777EADF0450E_zpsrp2dfemd.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Decided to under take the massive task of installing a sticker on the car :pac:

82453B88-6D1B-4D6A-9A84-2EDA1383D61F_zpstd1v2wqj.jpg

I approve :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

The petrol pump arrived for my E30 but it was some weird type, would fit but without the plastic housing and the bottom opening was too wide for the cradle. Sent it back and waiting for Bosch one from ebay, 120 euro. ouch.

Anyway, bought a windscreen polishing kit today on ebay. There is a lot of small scratches on the winscreen (about 2-3mm long). Some on the side window as well. So at least I will sort this out before the pump arrives. I will try to use it on the clocks as well. It's plastic but it should work I think.

$_57.JPG

Bad picture (just a phone) but it's there.

20160419_161027.jpg

This was doing nothing before and I discovered two pieces of wire that supposed to be connected, there was foil on each end. Fixed it. I don't know why somebody couldn't do it properly. Do it properly or don't do it at all. Simple. All that is required to do it properly is a knife and a small piece of el. tape. This light is on now when the alarm is on.

20160419_161124.jpg

I am suspecting that the temp sensor (to ECU) isn't working, because the car is thirsty and hard to start when warm. Wanted to see if it's working and measure the continuity. Put the positive probe on the temp sensor, negative to the body of a car and I got no reading (nothing happens). What am I doing wrong? I tested the multimeter and it's working.

20160419_161538.jpg

also bought this last week on ebay for 6 euro (from Hong Kong) to erase the Inspection and Oil change light. I know there is a trick but I don't have a piece of strong wire.

$_57.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

you got a link to that ebay windscreen kit, i might try it on mine, wiper blade damage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I wouldn't use that cerium oxide (windscreen polish) on plastic. It's much too rough for that and could cause even more damage. Plus it's a liquid which requires the windscreen to be wet before application and buffing. Much too messy a job for clocks/dials.

You might also consider investing in Gtechniq G1 for the windscreen as polishing a screen removes its ability to drain water. It kind of sits on the glass and the wipers have a much heavier amount of water to clear off.

Advertisement