Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

This weekend it's finally time to do the job that I've been trying to avoid all year long-polishing my by now almost completely opaque lights on the CMax.
    I have no idea what I'm doing, was thinking to attack it with various grades of fine and wet sandpaper and gradually move up to the polishing machine with some Schleifpaste and Poliermittel.
    Anyone have some experience with that? My reward will be thanks and pics of the resulting dog's dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Yeah that's it. Tbh it isn't a big job. Ideally you'd remove the lights. But if not mask and if they're bad I'd start at maybe 600 grit or lower. Move up the grits to maybe 2500 and finish with your polishing machine.

Some people finish them with a coating of some sort but I havn't got round to that and am thinking if need be in a year or w/e very fine grit and a polish would suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

My nightbreakers are now reunited in the bin. The other one went about a fortnight ago.
    Let's see how long the Halfords ones last.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

How long did they last? Have had one lidl one( that came with 2 and a few other bulbs in a kit for 5.99) in the car over a year. I find the light output very good.

Right, so I got some 600, 800 and 1200 wet and dry, some paste and some T-cut as well as an orbital sander with a woolen pad.
    First I attacked the lights with the sandpaper and then with the sander and the paste and finished it off with the T-cut.
    Here are the results:

360473.jpg

As it was, gone very dull and opaque.

360474.jpg

After 600 and I was thinking "Oh my God! What have I done!"

360475.jpg

1200, looking better

360476.jpg

The paste

360477.jpg

After paste

• Advertisement

360479.jpg

Think this is after T-cut. The end result. Definitely an improvement on the "before" pic.

360480.jpg

From another angle. I'm very happy with that.

360481.jpg

Of course the car looked like an elephant had drunk some milk and sneezed all over it.

360482.jpg

Messy, messy

360483.jpg

My crappy supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Gave it a quick wash and vacuum before taking pics for its sale advert :(

http://www.adverts.ie/car/subaru/impreza/1998-subaru-impreza-turbo-wagon/8753441

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The best feeling is when you do a great job with **** resources! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Well done, sir!
    [...]

Of course the car looked like an elephant had drunk some milk and sneezed all over it.

[...]

Of course an old blanket/few sheets of paper on top of an engine would keep it clean. :P

:D

joujoujou wrote: »
    Well done, sir!

Of course an old blanket/few sheets of paper on top of an engine would keep it clean. :P

:D

Yes, but you're making the dangerous assumption I actually think about these things. :D:p

I wonder, is there a product that protects the headlights? Don't want to have to do this every year.

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

[...]

I wonder, is there a product that protects the headlights? Don't want to have to do this every year.

Yes, there is. Don't remember exactly (lads on detailing subforum know), a kind of UV protecting thing.

joujoujou wrote: »
    Yes, there is. Don't remember exactly (lads on detailing subforum know), a kind of UV protecting thing.

Will check it out. Not sure if they let me in with the heap of a car I got. :)

Unregistered Users

They will. :)

On an unrelated note:
    Is €360 a fair price to have a turbo reconditioned? This would include new core, balancing and testing. For the Ford of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

On an unrelated note:
    Is €360 a fair price to have a turbo reconditioned? This would include new core, balancing and testing. For the Ford of course.

Sounds alright to me, especially considering the price of a new turbo...
    Saying that, I've no idea how much it costs to recondition a turbo.

CianRyan wrote: »
    Sounds alright to me, especially considering the price of a new turbo...
    Saying that, I've no idea how much it costs to recondition a turbo.

The parts and labour isn't the whole story, it would even be possible to buy the parts on eBay and rebuild it yourself, but you need some serious machinery to properly balance and test it or it would sh*t itself in short order. That's where the dough goes.
    I know that if I brought the car to Ford and told them to fit a new OEM turbo I would be looking at close to 2 grand, so I do consider it a bargain.
    That is for me removing the turbo and fitting it back myself. If the turbo place does it, it would be 800ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Wetsanded and for the most part sorted my headlights, need a bit stronger grit paper but happy with them!

The Before:

20150829_155801_zpsonxl6cbe.jpg

20150829_155805_zps9k7t9cl0.jpg

And After:

20150831_162143_zpsivuzuc5q.jpg

20150831_162150_zpsoti2vomg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

Bought meself a cheap mk1 diesel focus fixer upper car and got working on the first couple jobs it needed doing.

Broken spring on from left shock so just swapped whole shock for another with coil and the bearing was gone so out came hub and new bearing put in and everything reassambled, no pics im afraid but next job will be a full service and tie rod ends need changed, there a random knocking nose from drivers side so im hoping the rod change will do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

wonski wrote: »
    Got 3 sets of Bosch Super Plus (whoever came up with Super Plus - well done:D)
    in Halfords at €3 each:eek:

Couldn't believe the price, but it was correct.

Went to buy the radio, came out with a radio and those 3 sets that should last for a while.

Tried to fit the radio straight away but no luck. Need to order one of those adapters:mad:
    I've done it before by connecting wires directly, but Merc used so many colours that I am not even trying today. Someone was there before me and the cables are all over the place.

At least the windscreen is clear now.

Took me 2 days to figure this out, but I got it right this time.

All it takes is connecting the yellow one to the red one (not a perfect solution but it works).

Old junk goes where it belongs:

360746.jpg

Pioneer looking good:

360748.jpg

360747.jpg

Need to install the mic in some nice spot now and think of feeding the radio from the lighter socket rather than directly to prevent starting issues in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Satellite radio, wonski?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

Ok so this evening I changed the drop links in the focus and hopes that the random knocking noise was them and yes it was happy days

Oh and upgrades the gear knob to the newer style makes some diff, getting there slowly but surely and always learning along the way

Also debaged and it looks the business except for a nasty scrape some bollocks done on it will it was parked on street

Next job full service more than likely the weekend

GvidoR wrote: »
    Satellite radio, wonski?

Ehm, no, just regular, cheapish radio from Halfords.

Bluetooth streaming works perfectly, and it connects very quickly so happy with it. Definitely better than cassette player that was there before:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

PhotoEditor-1441315572136_zpsa33jz0kn.jpg?t=1441230769

PhotoEditor-1441315639640_zpssg7e4vwq.jpg?t=1441230765

PhotoEditor-1441315592914_zpsvvdzl3vz.jpg?t=1441230769

(Rip in peace MM and other detailers after reading this)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wouldn't even stretch to Cif.....

colm_mcm wrote: »

Looks like there is going to be another car care product in Lidl soon:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Paint transfer Duke?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

You did the Camino? Hear that's supposed to be an awful cnut of a trek!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I've had that very bottle since the 405..magic stuff so it is and half the price of Cif!
    Paint transfer Duke?
    Yeah, still a bit of a dent but I was surprised to get it off tbh!
    You did the Camino? Hear that's supposed to be an awful cnut of a trek!

I have done (cycling), finished last August. Very tough but a great experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Sorted out a buddies Glanza's headlights today;

Before:

20150904_174949_zpstmwl7sru.jpg

20150904_174941_zpsh4jhxyiv.jpg

After:

20150904_180740_zpsxdseuf3i.jpg

50/50:

20150904_180248_zps9rvfnhvn.jpg

Another 50/50:

20150904_175735_zpsrhx5qs4a.jpg