Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Siipina

Sligo, dont worry, it took 9 month to chance the body so it will take a while to chance it back ;-)
    Little one is having winds the poor mite but I got infacol yesterday and this night was a lot better. And he actually slept the first few hours in his basket. Then he woke up cause he was hungry and had some winds and could not settle back down so he ended up with me in bed again :-) well mammy needs sleep and little steps are better then no steps at all.
    Oh the drink.... Oh I would love to have a drink, I was missing it the nearly the whole pregnancy and now I could drink but he is sleeping with me so I still cant drink. One of the reasons why I want him in his basket ;-) BTW he is just sleeping in there :-)
    Oh and did anyone of you notice that the babys dont like it dark? LO starts crying the moment i switch of the light and we have a night light as well so I can breastfeed at night but it seems not bright enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

L loves it dark. Sleeps much better at night in basket than during the day in carrycot in sitting room.

So wasnt waiting too long in the docs after. The tear is healing really really well (phew) infection cleared up alot. Back in monday again but have 2 week check for L anyway.
    Have physio for his foot monday too. (He has a little turn due to his position in the womb)
    so will be fairly busy.

Im mad to get out and about too. I was half thinking of going to parent and toddler grp next week but there not on for 2 weeks due to easter break. Will prob head then. L has been aroubd loads of kids already. Headed to MILs on sat and all his cousins were there. I would crack all together if i was to try avoid other kids. I wouldnt get out at all. At least today OHs niece didnt seem to be sick. I suppose MIL wouldnt have brought her if she was. I was fuming though having to wait in docs and my daughter started to roar when i was leaving which made me feel bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭moominn

Girls how do you know baby has colic/reflux? My son is almost 3wks and today has started this high pitched screaming, cant be consoled, seems like hes trying to push out poo/wind. What can I do, breastfeeding by the way.

Also he wont settle in the pram or the carseat, he may sleep a while but once his eyes are open he cries until he is picked up. This has been happening before the colic? symptoms started so not connected i think. I had been looking forward to walking round town with him in the pram, getting out of the house, walking the weight off etc but cant enjoy it now coz just waiting for him to kick off. And folk looking at me as if im killing him. Fed up, very frustrated and resentful right now...:(

moominn wrote: »
    Girls how do you know baby has colic/reflux? My son is almost 3wks and today has started this high pitched screaming, cant be consoled, seems like hes trying to push out poo/wind. What can I do, breastfeeding by the way.

Also he wont settle in the pram or the carseat, he may sleep a while but once his eyes are open he cries until he is picked up. This has been happening before the colic? symptoms started so not connected i think. I had been looking forward to walking round town with him in the pram, getting out of the house, walking the weight off etc but cant enjoy it now coz just waiting for him to kick off. And folk looking at me as if im killing him. Fed up, very frustrated and resentful right now...:(

Mhh might be trapped wind one started with it last week when he was 3 weeks old. I got infacol you give it before every feed. It worked the first night .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Siipina with my first little girl when we got to the postnatal ward the midwife turned off the light it was 5 in the morning. She promptly roared the place down: light back on and she stopped straight away! After that happening a few dozen times I accepted she doesn't like the dark and I got over my hatred of sleeping with any sort of light on!

Moominn with S she screams when laid flat, spits up everywhere (and I mean everywhere!) we are changing her 6/7 times a day and me twice or three times if it's bad. She arches her back has milk coming out her nose and makes squeaks and barky noises sometimes too. Starting gaviscon for it today so I hope it helps. Duphalac then to combat the constipation.

There are a few things you can try to help: laid back feeding (you can google it to show you how) can help if you have a fast letdown causing reflux-y symptoms. When he's latched on is the latch good? If he's swallowing air or anything that might not be helping. A sling to keep him upright after feeds too.

Also the next person who tells me breastfed babies don't get constipated is getting something heavy thrown at their head. What a heap of sh1t, I'm not lying. My doctor knows more than you. Just aagh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Moomin, sounds more like colic or constipation than reflux.

Reflux they puke a lot... Not the normal milky spit up, but lumpy digested stuff a bit after they've been fed. And it gets a good distance. There is baby puke on our ceiling! Everytime you put them flat on back, for sleep or change... Up it comes. And when they are hungry, up comes a bit as well. Mine isn't bothered by it, no screaming, just lots of changes of clothes for everyone and very frequent small feeds so far.

Colic and constipation both have the screaming. That's very hard going for you. There is no sound like your baby crying to completely upset you. It's designed to get right into your head.

L was awake loads today. Not crying but just awake loads. Hope it doesnt cause problems tonight. He is out for the count at the moment after his bath.

Decided to switch to Dr Browne bottles. L tends to gulps the bottle into him and gets bit windy so decided would switch so wont be as bad. Hopefully. Used them on my daughter and found them great but didnt discover them until she was 6 weeks old. Not going to bother waiting this time. A little bit more washing involved but hey anything for an easier life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

So I'm in hospital on intravenous antibiotics due to a lovely mastitis! :(. Baby not with me so having to pump every 3 hours and send the milk home. But at least I have a single room (for now anyway)...Thank god!!! Im missing her now.... I hope I can get home soon....

Sligo1 wrote: »
    So I'm in hospital on intravenous antibiotics due to a lovely mastitis! :(. Baby not with me so having to pump every 3 hours and send the milk home. But at least I have a single room (for now anyway)...Thank god!!! Im missing her now.... I hope I can get home soon....

Oh no. Poor you. Hope your better and home soon.

I kid you not my 2 week old baba is smiling. People think im stone mad saying it but he is. Im not imagining it.

• Advertisement

Oh crikey sligo1, you must be in an awful way. Hope they get sorted soon!

I have two hours all to myself. I packed them up and sent the lot of them down to MIL for thte afternoon. Feet up, newspaper, a scone and some lemonade in the back garden for me. Feel like I am recharging. First time their daddy is looking after both at the same time. Resisting urge to phone him every five minutes to check up on them!

pwurple wrote: »
    Oh crikey sligo1, you must be in an awful way. Hope they get sorted soon!

I have two hours all to myself. I packed them up and sent the lot of them down to MIL for thte afternoon. Feet up, newspaper, a scone and some lemonade in the back garden for me. Feel like I am recharging. First time their daddy is looking after both at the same time. Resisting urge to phone him every five minutes to check up on them!

Sounds glorious! The same tho... Feel like I wana be ringing OH constantly. I know he's very capable but she's so little and i miss her. Looks like I'm going to be staying here tonight aswell :(.

Oh no Sligo :( that's awful... Better to get better though. Have to look after you too.

S is on 15ml of gaviscon 4-6 times a day which I can't get her to take. Ditto the lactolose which is 2.5ml. She's sick now too an ear infection and temp and is on 2.5ml of both calpol and antibiotic. That's just way too much for such a smallie :( I'm having such a difficult time with feeds now too she's so sleepy I'm stripping her down and using a cold wet cloth to wake her up.

I bet you anything your MIL is doing more looking after than your OH pwurple.

Ugh not sure if ive caught some bug or what but serious diarrhea (sorry TMI). Feel like crap.

L is so alert, wakes for his bottle and could be awake up to 2 hours. He's quiet happy to sit in his bouncer or on the mat on the floor but not in the pushchair ( I think he knows that's where he sleeps) But then gets over tired and cant get to sleep. I keep trying the soother but he wont settle until we give another bottle which he only takes 1 oz of.
    I tried to get him to sleep sooner like an hour after he wakes so he's not getting over tired. I then spent an hour putting the soother back in . Nearly on the verge of tears at one point due to needing to run to the loo every 5 mins. OH been out in the garden with our daughter all afternoon getting it ready for her bday party in a few weeks and I was supposed to be resting but between trying to get L to sleep and running to the loo im banjacksed. And whats worse I have his physio tomorrow morning. Don't know what ill do if this doesn't ease.

Sligo you poor thing. That would be so difficult being away from her. I do hope your out asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭LH2013

Sligo sorry to hear that ! Hope you get out soon !!!

My little guy sleeps great when my OH is home but when I am on my own he cries and fusses most of the day and wants to be fed every hour !!! Wrecked from it ! The only place he will fall asleep is on my shoulder .... He has soooo much wind as well !

Funny thing is L goes to sleep in moses basket in bedroom at 7.30 every night no prob. Wakes for his bottles at 11 ish and 3 ish and goes bavk asleep in basket no bother at all. Im begining to think the pram is the problem . Its smaller than the moses basket. I dont want to have to start using a travel cot for naps yet but its looking like it. Will see how it goes over the next few days.

OH has agreed to do the night feed so hoping ill be feeling better in the morning. Vomited earlier too but drank a glass of coke and feeling kind of ok since. (What is it with coke and a dodgy tummy?). Lyin in bed now and he os gona do next 3 feeds so hopefully get a decent sleep. Although ill prob have to wake him each time . He never hears L.

Hope you're feeling better soon suucee. It's such a relief when OH is able to give a feed and give you a bit of respite. Try and get a good night sleep.

LH have you tried to give your LO something for the wind?

Just woke and every1s still asleep. Pity we have to get up. OH has to go to work and ive to get kids sorted. Had a decent sleep but tummy making horid growling noises. Hoping its just hunger.

I have tried infacol ... It made no difference .... Tried cooled boiled water and this works sometimes !

He was awake from 11.15 pm until 8 am , really fussy all night , he had been sleeping three and a half to four hours at night ... Sooooo tired :(

Anyone have any other ideas for the wind ?!

LH2013 wrote: »
    I have tried infacol ... It made no difference .... Tried cooled boiled water and this works sometimes !

He was awake from 11.15 pm until 8 am , really fussy all night , he had been sleeping three and a half to four hours at night ... Sooooo tired :(

Anyone have any other ideas for the wind ?!

my daughter was colic. We found Dr browne bottles helped alot (not sure if you breast or bottle feeding). Luke doesnt like them though but hes not too bad. Infacol make both mine sick. But i found gripe water worked for my daughter. Havent needed it for L.
    Also other things that worked were cycling the legs, sitting them up straight on your knee then rotating the body in a circle , walking up and down the stairs holding them straight up up against you (this may cause spit up) . Im sure theres more tricks we used with her but cant remember at the moment.

L woke at 10.30, 12.30, 1.30 and 5.30. Poor OH is wrecked and gone to work. Im as fresh as a daisy (first night in months i havent been up to either feed or pee) and L is out cold aftet drinking a 5oz bottle. Bout to head out to bring him to physio now.

• Advertisement

LO was up all night, i think the winds are back again. I use infacol and it worked last time but OH didnt give it to him with his feeds. So spend the night on the couch again and I am so tiered. I am actually thinking that it might be the Vitamin D that gives him wind, dont know if possible maybe he just doesnt like sleep like his mummy.

LH I also found gripe water useful however I'm not sure what age you can start using it or if you can use it on new borns... Perhaps someone else can verify this? Also it is very difficult to find in the south and you would probably have to buy it from a chemist/pharmacy up north...

LH I also found gripe water useful however I'm not sure what age you can start using it or if you can use it on new borns... Perhaps someone else can verify this? Also it is very difficult to find in the south and you would probably have to buy it from a chemist/pharmacy up north...

I have the no sugar no alcohol version found it in a chemist last week .. It says you can use on one month upwards ... He is a month tomorrow :0

LH2013 wrote: »
    I have the no sugar no alcohol version found it in a chemist last week .. It says you can use on one month upwards ... He is a month tomorrow :0

Give it a try. I hope it works for u!

Hope the gripe water works LH.

Hope your home or getting hone soon sligo.

L's talippe (turn in his foot) has improved hugely so no need to go back to physio but just need
    To keep an eye on it and continue with excersices.

Im back to myself. Must have been a bug or something.

L is much more settled today as drinking bigger bottles. We stopped using the Dr browne bottles as he just seemed to be fighting with them so hoping he doesnt becone windy again. So far so good anyway. Have them both napping at the same time again so happy mammy.

Yay I'm home! Lilly's been feeding off me for the past 2.5 hours!!! Needless to say I'm wrecked already....

That's great Sligo :) how are you feeling??

I'm in hospital with S... She has pneumonia. Way way too little at not even 5 weeks :(

Sligo thats great.

Omg cyning hope she gets better soon. Poor lil thing.

Oh jeez cyning. Pneumonia, so scary. Thinking of ye.

Suucee and sligo, glad you are on the mend.

My smallie has a rash all over her head, but nowhere else. Nothing else out of the norm, temp is fine. Wondering what the heck it can be. She spends the day in the sling, so if it's something she rubbed her face against, it can only be my clothes, or my skin. I changed my top 4 times (baby puke) so i don't know what it can be. Some of it was out of vac-pack storage, maybe it was a detergent i used last year? Hope it goes tomorrow.

Or maybe it's heat rash? It was pretty warm, and I was outside gardening for ages.

• Advertisement

Cyning omg you must be worried sick!!!
    I think I'd be beside myself. At least she's in the right place and please god she b better soon!

Pwurple my Lilly has a sorta rash on her face aswell! It looks like little pimples or something. Haven't a clue what it is.

Im feeling like total crap. Now have a huge cold sore. And to top it off husband asked could he go and play football tonight. I nearly ran him! A few hours after I get out of hospital for god sake. Needless to say he's kissing my arse now....

Advertisement