Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭LH2013

Survived my first day alone with the little guy ........ He fed every hour & half :0

Today its every 3 hours ... No rhythm or reason lol though he seems to be getting constipated sigh ! He wont sleep anywhere but my arms today either ... Poor baby ... I am wrecked though ....... Offered to go to work instead of OH lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I know women who pumped exclusively for 2 months until their baby came out of ICU, so it is possible alright.

Fit to clobber husband and toddler. He decided to help a workmate move house this evening, not telling me in advance that he was going to be home 4 hours late until i called asking where he was. Toddler decides today is the day she forgets she is toilet trained. After toilet accident 3, i put a nappy on her... Commence wailing and thrashing. Meanwhile baby has gone through six changes of clothes, and me 4. She can't keep down even half a bottle today with the reflux.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Oh pwurple that sounds awful. Hope tomorrow is a bit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

cyning wrote: »
    Not yet Sligo: more lack of time and my hatred of pumping! Ya you aren't "supposed" to pump before 6 weeks. There's a couple if reasons: nipple confusion is one. It *can* affect supply: supply and demand. So if your pumping before 6 weeks you can get oversupply: and the forceful letdown that comes with it. Once you don't stop pumping or feeding suddenly you should be fine. If you do you can put yourself at risk of blocked ducts and mastitis.

To be honest I really would not worry at all! I had to pump from one side with my first little girl fed for 15 months with no issues with supply/blocked ducts etc. I haven't pumped at all this time I have a forceful let down, a blocked duct etc. You need a break too :)

It's utterly exhausting isn't it? I'm actually hoping my thyroid is underactive and I am anaemic so that this tiredness is temporary... How bad is that?

Thanks Cyning. Yep it's totally exhausting. Husband said to me the other day... 'Why is breast feeding so exhausting when you just sit there?'.... Lol.... o god.....

So at the moment I'm pumping around 200ml per day. The last 2 nights OH has given her about 100-130ml between 11pm-12MN and she's been sleeping till around 3-3.30am! So awesome. Then I feed her and back to sleep around 4.30am till 7.30am. So that's 2 big 3 hour sleeps! Thank the lord for breast pumps! My boobs are absolutely killing me come morning time tho....

Pwurple I woulda killed my husband. I'm a disaster tho. I haven't really been left to look after my two alone since Lilly was born. Lilly is grand I just wouldn't be able to run after my fella and feed/change her at the same time. He's into everything. Don't know how in going to do it when husband goes back to work. I might take the easy way out and go stay with my mum for another week to prolong the time I have help.... That seems very lazy doesn't it??!.... I just honestly don't know how I could watch the 2 of them! It sounds so silly when you think of the days people were having between 6-12 babies!!!!

People had more help then though. My mum said her mother moved in when she had her second, and as they get older, the older children become the minders. Neighbours and aunts were more hands-on too.

I managed a night without changing the cot sheet, yay! Would love to know how the baby can go 4 hours between feeds during the day, and only 3 at night though. Feeds at 11, 2, 5 and 8am. Feed takes 20 minutes, but then need to hold her upright for 40 mins to prevent reflux. So it's an hour each time (trying not to fall asleep on the baby). As she gets bigger i guess the feeds will space out more.

Nice sunny day out there. First thought? Laundry on the line! Hah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Sligo would you get a sling to help? I'd be lost without mine. Have to bring S to doc this morn aagh she not feeling well I think

Sligo would you get a sling to help? I'd be lost without mine. Have to bring S to doc this morn aagh she not feeling well I think

U read my mind.... I'm just about to look up sling meets. Which one do you have?

I have a ring sling, a close carrier (basically a prewrapped stretchy wrap) and a mei tei :)

The close is probably my favourite she's really well supported in it. I use the ring sling for running in and out of shops (and my toddler goes up in it too!). I honestly find it so handy. The babywearing Ireland group page is great

I have a ring sling, a close carrier (basically a prewrapped stretchy wrap) and a mei tei :)

The close is probably my favourite she's really well supported in it. I use the ring sling for running in and out of shops (and my toddler goes up in it too!). I honestly find it so handy. The babywearing Ireland group page is great

Yea I like the look of the ring slings the most. I don't really like the big carrier type things. I've just messaged baby wearing Ireland on Facebook there and awaiting reply :)

Hire a sling before you buy! The ring slings are great but there's more support in something going over both shoulders... Are you near any sling meets?

Doc thinks Sinead is having a reaction to bcg on top of mild constipation: I want my happy sleep 5 hours straight at night baba back :( she's wrecked and irritable. And C is still sick too. Patience!

• Advertisement

Ah cyning, it seems you have your work cut out for you! Hope your 2 are feeling better soon :(.

Yep there's a sling meet on today near me between 2-4. So I'm gonna go to that and
    see how I get on :)

Oh cyning hope there better soon.

Took me an hour to get out of the house today but i done it. Out and up town for the first time on my own with the 2 of them. It went fine but jeez the effort getting around the placr with a double buggy. And its not even that big. Met an old lady with a zimmer/walker on a narrow path. Que the 2 of us trying to figure out how to get by.
    Im banjacksed now though but was nice to get out.

L feeds at funny times . Normally 7 , 10, 2 ish 6ish. Bed for 7.30. Then sleeps till 11.30 OH does that feed . Back asleep until 3ish . I do that. Then up at 6.30-7 OH also does that. So he goes 3-4 hours between feeds but it varies everyday.

Oh enjoy Sligo!

It gets easier to get out and about each time: well mostly! Yest we were at docs for 915 no bother. Today getting there for 1145 was a struggle!

Oh enjoy Sligo!

It gets easier to get out and about each time: well mostly! Yest we were at docs for 915 no bother. Today getting there for 1145 was a struggle!

Sling meet was cancelled :(. So I prob won't get to go to another until next month :(. O well... Perhaps we'll be in some sort of routine by then.... (Not)....

Is any of the second time mums feeling a lil guilty. Im still getting to spend loads of time with toddler. But feel im not spending much time with Luke.
    OH feeds and dresses him in the morning. Then he is into the bouncer while i get breakfast sorted and OH walks the dogs and toddler. Luke dozes in bouncer till 10 am bottle while i sort bottles and prepare dinner. Then feed change and back asleep in no time.
    This is all that happens. I dont seem to have the time for many cuddles. By 2pm i feed him and toddler is only waking for nap so looking for dinner. So again Luke is back into bouncer or pram and he then falls asleep again. If he doesnt we get to do a bit if tummy time while we all sit on the floor.
    By the time he wakes at approx 6pm we are having our tea. And i normally feed him sitting at the table. Then were all up the stairs getting both ready for bed. Myself and OH take it in turns . I get A ready 1 night and then L the following night.
    Then both in bed at 7.30.
    Im starting to feel bad for poor L. Only time i spend with him us feeding him. Then hes into pram or bouncer.
    I know im so lucky with him but just feel bad.
    I put him in my mei tai today for about 10 mins while setting table and tidying a bit. But then felt bad for A watching me cuddling and kissing him.
    Jeez i cant win. Serious mammy guilt.
    Plus still have no photos of him printed. Havent even taken many considering when A was that size i must of been taking photos all day .

Guilty about toddler more than baby. Any time she seems to want me to play with her I'm feeding, winding or changing baby. So she is sulking for a lot of the day. I'm trying to get her to participate (hand me the wipes etc) but she's a bit bored with it, and I don't want to push it incase she starts to resent it.

Playdates seem to be the way to go for us. She was playing happily with my friends child today while I was able to feed baby and have a chat with my buddy.

Managed to keep the baby in the sling while putting toddler to bed as well. (OH is away on business for a few days now). Result. Had my mum downstairs on standby in case I couldn't manage it, but went ok.

Now, if only I hadn't had 2 bottles of coke, 2 nurofen and most of a packet of biscuits today in order to keep going today, it would be better. I've dug out the pregnacare vitamin tablets as well. Might as well finish them anyway, as I am not managing to eat properly so far. Running on empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Siipina

Suucee, be happy that Luke is so easy going. My little feller needs to be with me all the time. When I am lucky i get 10 min here and there when i put him in the basket and he sleeps a bit and i can go on the toilet or something like that. Even his daddy is not good enough lately. And the little Mr is putting on a good bit of weight so its not getting easier to make myself something to eat with one hand.
    Why do I have always to listen to people telling e what to do? or better telling me that I spoil my child to much ?
    Just had a friend telling me that in her time, she is 60, the woman used to do the household and knit at night to earn money and so on. How does it come that I need help from OH to do stuff on the weekends. or the best one : is he sleeping through at night? Aehm he is 3 weeks old. and of cause: just let him cry, he needs to learn that he is not always getting what he wants. Please please let this be a culture thing. I really try to do a lot but he is only 3 weeks, i wont let him cry cause he cant learn yet.

Blocked duct and oversupply :(

Who the heck is telling people to leave a 3 week old cry! That's crazy, they only want food and sleep.

I had a long night. I fed her at 11 and 2am a usual. She woke at 3, and in my sleepy haze, i fed her another bottle, when she probably had wind or something. So then she spent the next two hours puking that up, being changed. Changing sheets. Changing my pjs, walking her around the kitchen to get her back to sleep. She slept for 20 mins. Woke and it was now the actual time for a feed... 5:30. Then toddler woke. Arg.

I was shattered all day, so dropped her over to my mum to get a nap and knocked the mirror off the car on the way home. Not fit to drive!

Oh god i shouldnt complain by the sounds of what the rest of ye are going through.
    Siipina i hate the advice. Its madness. Mind you im not getting any this time compared to with A as she was my first. Funny the crap people come out with.

Im back to docs in the morning. Hoping thus infection is gone or nearly gone.
    I got real down about it last night. Between nit spending time with L and the butchered job done down there. Also toddler isnt settlibg at night . Goes up to bed no prob but doesnt actually go asleep for a while. Shes not crying or anything but just not going asleep. In my guilty cry i started thinking shes not sleeping because of L . But maybe shes just sleeping too much during the day.

• Advertisement

I feel so guilty too: guilty I'm not spending enough alone time with either, I'm exhausted at the moment and super teary. I felt awful having to drag C out when she was miserable for Ss BCG. Although I bought her two sticker books and she's delighted she covers my boobs in stickers as I'm feeding :) S is still causing me problems feeding she's fussy and pulls on and off and pukes and now has milk coming out her nose

O suucee that infection must be awful. i hope ur wee one starts to sleep again. My oh tried putting our fella down the last couple nights so I could feed Lilly but he Wasnt having any of it so I took over. Decided that I'm defo gonna put him down every night no matter what. It's what he's used to. Even if Lilly is screaming I'm gonna be the one to put him to bed...'I think he likes it that way and it sticks with his routine whilst letting me spend even just 10min uninterrupted cuddle time with him :).

I've been feeling really down the past couple days! Dunno if its coz my boob is killing me, I still don't fit any of my clothes or the thoughts of never having a minute to myself for the next few months or so. Is anybody else feeling like this??

Any luck on clearing the blocked duct Sligo? Ya I've not been feeling the best utterly overwhelmed I think, but the last few days have been better. Last week I thought I was cracking up.

I just tried to put a newborn nappy in my near 2 yr old. A little sleep deprived this morning.

OH done L's 11pm bottle. But he would not settle for ages. At 3am he got up to give him another but L would not take it. At 4 i got up. Tried him. Drank 1 oz then let huge burp then slept till 7.15 . I reckon he had wind and if got it up sooner prob would have slept through as clearly wasnt hungry.

Any luck on clearing the blocked duct Sligo? Ya I've not been feeling the best utterly overwhelmed I think, but the last few days have been better. Last week I thought I was cracking up.

It was really sore yesterday but I've woke up this morning and it feels a lot better. I had a hot bath last night and massaged the hell out of it so please god i think it's worked. I've organised a lactation consultant to come see me this morning so hopefully she can give me some good tips.

I dunno what's wrong with me. I didnt get any baby blues this time around after the birth so maybe they are just hitting me now if that's possible. Totally overwhelmed and feel really teary. I hope they don't last long :(.

I'm 10st (5ft5in) now and don't fit into any of my clothes :(. Ive a stone to lose. I've a wedding to go to in 2 weeks with nothing to wear :(.... Still haven't had a drink but the first one I'm gonna have at the wedding is gonna be a vodka redbull! I can taste it as I'm typing! I might even have a drag of a cigarette while I'm at it! Lol.

There's a pregnancy moan thread here.... There really should be a post pregnancy/postnatal moan thread aswell! Lol

I have to say tho.... IM SO GLAD IM NOT PREGNANT ANYMORE!

Suucee wrote: »
    I just tried to put a newborn nappy in my near 2 yr old. A little sleep deprived this morning.

OH done L's 11pm bottle. But he would not settle for ages. At 3am he got up to give him another but L would not take it. At 4 i got up. Tried him. Drank 1 oz then let huge burp then slept till 7.15 . I reckon he had wind and if got it up sooner prob would have slept through as clearly wasnt hungry.

Aw sounds like the night I had! I'm so glad OH can give Lilly a bottle of EBM.... I think I'd die otherwise!

Sligo give yourself a chance. You only gave birth a few weeks ago. Im sure once you get into the swing of things you will start to lose it. Im the same weight and 5ft 3. But not worried. 9 months on 9 months off.
    A few days before the wedding take a day and go get yourself something and get your hair done etc and you will feel so much better.

The thoughts of drink ugh. Wouldnt be able for the hang over.
    Was craving a glass of wine so many times during the pregnancy but not since. Mad now that i can. Well after today. Once antibiotic finished.

MIL was to be at my house for 9 to mind the kids while i head to doc. My app was for 9.15 she arrived at 9.15 . With OHs niece. I missed my app so now have to wait. Plus the child she brought with her is constantly sick (i put it down to the fact her mother works in a creche and she goes twice a week) and last week after being around her my 2 ended up with gunky eyes .
    They better not catch anytging off her. God i could have just brought them with me or dropped them to my sisters.

I woulda cracked up with that suucee. Lilly hasn't been around any other kids yet apart from her brother. I'd love to take himself to a play group but I'm just too worried he'll pick up something and give it to Lilly. I wouldn't usually be as protective but she's only 2.5 weeks old. And the fact she hasn't had her vaccinations worries me a bit. I know new borns are meant to have good immunity due to being inside us... But I still worry.

Sligo, sounds like hormones gone loola alright. And fitting into your clothes, crikey girl you just gave birth! My smallie is 5 weeks old today and I just squeezed into the largest jeans i own. I was in skirts up to yesterday with the stitches needing to recover. I've two stone to lose to getback to pre prego weight. We'll get there.

Baby is smiling when she sees me now. So cute! I could just eat her up!

• Advertisement

Sligo honestly don't worry about your clothes: buy something new if you need to. I've been very teary too: cried on phn on Tues after bcg and everything. I had no baby blues at all after C, and not after S until about 2 weeks in. I literally cried for 4 hours straight one day. Starting to come out of it a bit now... A lot is sheer tiredness I think.

The lactation consultant should really help you I hope.

I have to go back to doc with S she hasn't pooed since Mon now and is still very puky and unsettled. Probably start on gaviscon: the crying is getting to me.

Advertisement