Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto X: News, Rumours and possible release dates!

Options

Comments

So the Moto X is a mid range phone running almost-but-not-quite stock 4.2.2 android with 4.3 "coming soon" and costing about the same amount as a flagship phone.

No thank you.

I could never see this phone being that cheap what with it not being made in Asia like every other phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

crushing disapointment once again.

next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Link to Scoble's view of the phone

His big thing is that the microphone is always on and the customization.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Rochey18 wrote: »
    This phone is good looking and a great battery, and thats it!! :mad:

The 32gb model is 250 on contract.

This is pretty much it. I like the design. Good battery is great. 32GB storage is very nice (I find 16GB too limited). I'm glad they stuck with 720P too. Close to stock is pretty sweet but they should have made it 4.3 for release to show that they see regular and quick updates as important. The customisations they have made are mostly useful. The gestures are gimmicky and don't work all the time so they're basically useless.

But it does seem like it's basically a Droid Ultra without the Verizon branding and doesn't live up to all the hype. They were telling people with the HTC One to dump it and get this. If I had a HTC One I wouldn't see this as an upgrade at all. It's not a bad phone but it's not the best thing ever like they were screaming from the roof tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

ill be waiting to hear the off contract price before i make my mind up

Judging by the sounds of this it might be the only place it will be sold.

$575/$625 off contract

Same price as an S4

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

$575/$625 off contract

Same price as an S4

Motorola haven't confirmed an off contract price so he probably just pulled it out of his ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

As much as I'd like to see moto do really well with this, Hmm i think I'll be hanging on to my nexus 4 as I'm not seeing anything here making me want to get one... Unless that amoled the screen and 10mp cam are kick ass...

Next up: over hype Nexus 5!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Definitely not aimed at the power users, fairly disappointing but I should ensure that Motorola are bag in the game.

NEXT...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

God dammit.

I am extremely disappointed by this.

The customization options are brilliant, but the complete lack of sales outside North America are ridiculous.

It also seems to be overpriced for the specs on offer.
    I'm not a fan of quad cores and 1080p for the sake of it, but a massive selling point of this phone would of been good specs at a decent price.

Damn shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭nursewally

Basically like I said earlier in the thread so.

Damn shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

It's a great phone but it's not much better than the Nexus 4. The clock speed of the processor is at 1.7GHz instead of 1.5GHz and it's a dual-core Krait. The graphics should be the same because both run Adreno 320 chips but it kills the Nexus 4 on GFXBench, I don't know why. The battery is 2200mAh compared to the Nexus 4's 2100mAh so it's not a giant leap.

Rumors are saying a Google Play Edition could be released at $299, but there's no way to confirm that right now. I was also hoping it'd run the latest Android but it ships with 4.2, but maybe the Play Edition will be treated like the Nexus line.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Served its purpose, bit interesting news to read. Nothing astounding aesthetics or tech wise. Xperia z ultra hits both points! Nexus 5, Oppo 7, note 3 are the next interesting ones to look forward to.

Wont be long until the nexus 5 anyway. More than likely that will surpass all phones out this year and its stock android so little or no lag cause of bloody bloatware!!

Roll on november!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Not sure what crack pipe Motorola have been smoking but they think they can charge a SGS4 price for an inferior phone. What's even more ridiculous is that a Google company can't even release a phone with their latest OS.

At this stage, the best thing Google could do with Motorola is pull the shutters down and put it out of it's misery.

I agree with ya mate. They can't even give it the latest bloody OS update and its owned by the same company that creates the OS. They did mention something in relation to it being 'nearly stock' obviously meaning that because of the locked bootloaders to the networks theres gonna be bloatware!

Load a muck tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

nursewally wrote: »
    I agree with ya mate. They can't even give it the latest bloody OS update and its owned by the same company that creates the OS. They did mention something in relation to it being 'nearly stock' obviously meaning that because of the locked bootloaders to the networks theres gonna be bloatware!

Load a muck tbh

A google addition has already been rumoured to be in the pipeline.... wtf

• Advertisement

Not sold outside North America

G0GXI.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Looks like it won't be coming to Europe though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

The recently release Droid Maxx has nearly identical specs and a 3500mAH battery as opposed to the Moto X's 2200mA battery.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5601&idPhone2=5604

Trying to find out for certain if the Google Play edition of the Moto X will have the same features as the normal version, if not then there's no massive point in getting it.

Another bonus would be the same level of customization.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Trying to find out for certain if the Google Play edition of the Moto X will have the same features as the normal version, if not then there's no massive point in getting it.

Another bonus would be the same level of customization.

I don't even see what changes they would make for a Google play edition. The thing seems very close to stock as it is and the few small changes they've made would likely be in a GPE version.

I don't even see what changes they would make for a Google play edition. The thing seems very close to stock as it is and the few small changes they've made would likely be in a GPE version.

I'd imagine some of the features like the Always on Google Now and Lock Screen are a part of Motorola's side and would not be available on the a GPE version.

I've seen a few conflicting views on this, but I'm guessing they won't have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

I'd imagine some of the features like the Always on Google Now and Lock Screen are a part of Motorola's side and would not be available on the a GPE version.

Without moto's features I don't see how they can justify the heavy price tag of google editions. It's such a weird product that doesn't fit at the top tier price bracket. Price would of been a huge advantage.

• Advertisement

The S4 has a customised lock screen for use with the official case and it is kept in the GPE version. Same with things like the black background in the menu screen.

Advertisement