Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto X: News, Rumours and possible release dates!

Options
  • 08-07-2013 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭

motorola-moto-x-ad.jpg
    Motorola_XT912A_Leak.jpg

So, over the last few weeks we've seen numerous claims of a brand new Motorola phone being released, in a massive partnership with Google (the new owners of Motorola).

All we know so far is that it will be a just-above-mid range handset, and according the a few higher ups in Motorola and Google will feature a tonne of new innovative features and massive range of features, including knowing when you're driving, running or on a bus.

Motorola are also claiming the phone will be highly customizable, including a changeable cover and more. They have still been a bit sparse on the details so far.

The rumored specs include;
    720p screen.
    16/32gb RAM (no SD Card)
    4,000 amh battery to comply with the standards Google is demanding.
    LTE/4G
    Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 quad-core chip at 1.7GHz.
    4.7 inch screen and a very thin bezel.
    Stock Android 4.3 (to meet the S4 GE version)
    Priced at around $250-$299

Obviously these are all rumours and we don't know anything for sure, but Motorola/Google have arranged a press event for the 11th of July 2013 for an announcement.

My own thoughts on this, well I'm a bit conflicted really. I have't owned a Motorola in a few years, and wasn't that impressed with it and traditionally Motorola haven't done well in Europe in a long time.
    With Google pushing them, I have high hopes for the phone but really hope the hype machine it's going to destroy it before it even hits the shelves.

Motorola and Google are under tremendous pressure with the rumour mill going insane with a torrent of spec leaks of all kinds, the apparent ability to completely build the phone with your choice of specs and screen size when you order it and so much more.

Is anyone else looking forward to this? What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Cale

I just can't get past it being a Motorola. They've never offered much by way of anything as far as I'm concerned (with perhaps the exception of the Razr - if you were into that kind of thing).

There's still a stigma about that name for me. I think Google should completely revamp the brand.

I think I'll pass (as irrational as it feels!).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Since my Droid Razr dying after 1 and half years (Won't charge/turn on) I would recommend avoiding Motorola. Not just for that reason, they are notorious for releasing better specced phones every few months and basically abandoning the previous model. Also the build quality of razr wasn't great. It had a kevlar backing which was surrounded by crappy plastic thus making the kevlar pointless!? The plastic was scratched and chipped a few weeks after I got the phone. Finally as is clear in the marketing for the Moto X they couldn't care less about customers outside the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Since my Droid Razr dying after 1 and half years (Won't charge/turn on) I wouldn't recommend avoiding Motorola. Not just for that reason, they are notorious for releasing better specced phones every few months and basically abandoning the previous model. Also the build quality of razr wasn't great. It had a kevlar backing which was surrounded by crappy plastic thus making the kevlar pointless!? The plastic was scratched and chipped a few weeks after I got the phone. Finally as is clear in the marketing for the Moto X they couldn't care less about customers outside the US.
    As far as them not caring about people outside the US, in fairness those ads have only appeared in US newspapers, as long as it's made in America if course they'll push that with the marketing in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Nolimits wrote: »
    As far as them not caring about people outside the US, in fairness those ads have only appeared in US newspapers, as long as it's made in America if course they'll push that with the marketing in America.

True but I seriously doubt you'll be able to get this phone in Ireland without importing it. Sure even the Nexus 4 is still not officially available in Ireland!?

True but I seriously doubt you'll be able to get this phone in Ireland without importing it. Sure even the Nexus 4 is still not officially available in Ireland!?

The Nexus 4 wasn't available due to the fact that Google could only sell us Apps and Games.

In recent months we've got Music and Books, I doubt magazines will be too far behind. I don't think it's too crazy to think that Ireland will be amongst the next group of countries that get access to devices. Last year the likes of UK only got devices when the 4 came out, assuming the announce another batch the same time this year we may be able to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Samsung, Apple and HTC are under pressure constantly to produce high quality phones with killer specs for the flagship phones that have high margins and make them money. Motorola now doesn't necessarily have to compete with those at the higher end flagship device area as it's owned by Google who make money from online adverts not selling devices. Looking at the last few devices Google has released in the mobile market they aren't the best in class. They are generally high quality devices with excellent price points. eg the Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 are great products but by no means the top of their market in terms or performance but are in terms of value for money.

Google generally tries to make money getting people online using it's products than selling it's devices and they are probably aiming at the mid mass market which moves people off feature phones onto similar priced smartphones where they can make money selling services. It's the same area the rumored budget iPhone and Galaxy mini are after.

However unlikely it's also this part of the market, not the high end, that's most at threat from new OS'es like firefox in emerging markets.

The Nexus 4 wasn't available due to the fact that Google could only sell us Apps and Games.

In recent months we've got Music and Books, I doubt magazines will be too far behind. I don't think it's too crazy to think that Ireland will be amongst the next group of countries that get access to devices. Last year the likes of UK only got devices when the 4 came out, assuming the announce another batch the same time this year we may be able to get it.

I doubt it. There are lots of countries that have more access to the play store than us and yet don't sell the Nexus 4. (See here and here). I don't really think there is any correlation there. We may have the EU headquarters but Ireland is a small country and they still have lots of larger markets which have more play store access to penetrate hardware-wise. I'd say we're a good bit down the pecking order. I'd say out best hope for the next Nexus etc. is that they relax the restriction on us buying from the UK. I don't see the Moto X being launched in Europe tbh.

Dudda wrote: »
    Samsung, Apple and HTC are under pressure constantly to produce high quality phones with killer specs for the flagship phones that have high margins and make them money. Motorola now doesn't necessarily have to compete with those at the higher end flagship device area as it's owned by Google who make money from online adverts not selling devices. Looking at the last few devices Google has released in the mobile market they aren't the best in class. They are generally high quality devices with excellent price points. eg the Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 are great products but by no means the top of their market in terms or performance but are in terms of value for money.

Google generally tries to make money getting people online using it's products than selling it's devices and they are probably aiming at the mid mass market which moves people off feature phones onto similar priced smartphones where they can make money selling services. It's the same area the rumored budget iPhone and Galaxy mini are after.

However unlikely it's also this part of the market, not the high end, that's most at threat from new OS'es like firefox in emerging markets.

Traditionally Nexus devices were not particulary high end, but I think you're being unfair on the Nexus 7 and in particular the Nexus 4. Nexus 4 was one of the highest specced phones when it came out, it compared favourably with anything else out there even if others have over taken it since. It was one of the first quadcore phones and has as much Ram as anything else on the market and a decent battery. The only thing that really let it down was the 16gb storage.

I doubt it. There are lots of countries that have more access to the play store than us and yet don't sell the Nexus 4. (See here and here). I don't really think there is any correlation there. We may have the EU headquarters but Ireland is a small country and they still have lots of larger markets which have more play store access to penetrate hardware-wise. I'd say we're a good bit down the pecking order. I'd say out best hope for the next Nexus etc. is that they relax the restriction on us buying from the UK. I don't see the Moto X being launched in Europe tbh.

It's awkward going from tab to tab, but from a quick glance it appears that Brazil, Japan, India and Russia have more access than us without being able to receive the Nexus 4 (though japan can get the Nexus 7 and 10 and India can get the 7) So it appears that there are two countries that have more than us that do not have access to any devices, to be honest I think that bodes pretty well and whille we might not have it in time for the launch of the Moto X I wouldn't be surprised if we have it by the end of the year.

Also if we're talking Google as a whole we have access to chromebooks though as we're not on that list there are probably other countries that have it as well.

We're still a Western European country where a lot of our citizens have a fair amount of disposeable income, I'm sure Google would like to get some of these devices in our hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Cale wrote: »
    I just can't get past it being a Motorola. They've never offered much by way of anything as far as I'm concerned (with perhaps the exception of the Razr - if you were into that kind of thing).

There's still a stigma about that name for me. I think Google should completely revamp the brand.

I think I'll pass (as irrational as it feels!).

I honestly feel the same, but I'm keeping an eye on this one because Google tend to do a good job on development and ideas.

Motorola does have a bad rep here, and across Europe but is still doing quite well in the US and Asia, obviously not as well as Samsung or Apple.

I'd be surprised if the phone wasn't available to order outside the US, as it looks like we'll order it directly from Motorola themselves instead of through Google Play. It looks like it's getting sold differently to their Droid lineup, so it should be available in the EU too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Spec-wise, these Motorola phones look rubbish.

Dual core processor when everyone else is releasing quad core.
    720p screen when everyone else is 1080p.
    No SD card slot.

Yes it has exchangeable covers and an excellent battery, but I can't see anyone buying a phone on that basis.

Spec-wise, these Motorola phones look rubbish.

Dual core processor when everyone else is releasing quad core.
    720p screen when everyone else is 1080p.
    No SD card slot.

Yes it has exchangeable covers and an excellent battery, but I can't see anyone buying a phone on that basis.

That's actually the point of the phone though, just above midrange specs, with a strong battery life, smooth use at a low cost. It's the same idea as with the Nexus devices, and we know there is a market for that.

Your average consumer doesn't care about 720p and 1080p or dual core vs quad core.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sonics2k wrote: »
    That's actually the point of the phone though, just above midrange specs, with a strong battery life, smooth use at a low cost. It's the same idea as with the Nexus devices, and we know there is a market for that.

Your average consumer doesn't care about 720p and 1080p or dual core vs quad core.

The nexus 4 was a high end device when it was released though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

It's hard to find the video now, but Rogers Network (Canada) seem to have accidently released a preview video of the Moto X.

The downside is that it seems Motorola have no plans to release the phone in the EU for the foreseeable future, which is a bit of a balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Cale

Actually looks pretty cool software wise so I'd imagine a lot of the features will be available on KLP.

It's hard to find the video now, but Rogers Network (Canada) seem to have accidently released a preview video of the Moto X.

The downside is that it seems Motorola have no plans to release the phone in the EU for the foreseeable future, which is a bit of a balls.
    Take it you're reading too much into them calling it a Rodgers exclusive, this would only apply to Canada, there have already been reports of a $500m marketing fund for US/Europe

Take it you're reading too much into them calling it a Rodgers exclusive, this would only apply to Canada, there have already been reports of a $500m marketing fund for US/Europe

I'm not basing that on Rogers or such, more on internal information here.

There's no current plan to release it in the EU, the immediate focus is the US and then possibly moving on to the EU based on demand.

Motorola hasn't really stood out here in a few years now, it'd be a real shame if they overlooked us based on that when this could be a great chance to get a foot in the door.

I'm not basing that on Rogers or such, more on internal information here.

There's no current plan to release it in the EU, the immediate focus is the US and then possibly moving on to the EU based on demand.

Motorola hasn't really stood out here in a few years now, it'd be a real shame if they overlooked us based on that when this could be a great chance to get a foot in the door.

Fair enough if you have some kind of inside information.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

On Twit, Leo Laporte went to an event and see the phone and got all the information about it.
    He advised Gina Trapani to return her new HTC One Google addition for the Moto X.

I was shocked, as I was not expecting this to be much. He said there are some massive features that have not leaked yet.

Invites have been sent out to reporters for the official announcement for the 1st of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

This still looks to me that Google are aiming to produce a really good mid range phone with some unique features.

This still looks to me that Google are aiming to produce a really good mid range phone with some unique features.

Exactly what I thought, but people that have seen it, are really excited about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Exactly what I thought, but people that have seen it, are really excited about it.

A 300 dollar off contract phone - without having to subsidizing the parts/another OEM - built for profit, that's widely available and doesn't have any distribution/store **** ups, with a great user experience could cause wreck in the States I'd say. They could still tell Samsung, HTC that they're not going to compete in high end spec and give them that space as not to piss them off too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

On Twit, Leo Laporte went to an event and see the phone and got all the information about it.
    He advised Gina Trapani to return her new HTC One Google addition for the Moto X.

I was shocked, as I was not expecting this to be much. He said there are some massive features that have not leaked yet.

Listened to the podcast aswell, Leo is a bit of a ballhopper, no way a midrange moto x is gonna be better than the htc1, and he was under a NDC when he said that. I'll bet Gina will be keeping the htc 1.

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Listened to the podcast aswell, Leo is a bit of a ballhopper, no way a midrange moto x is gonna be better than the htc1, and he was under a NDC when he said that. I'll bet Gina will be keeping the htc 1.

Ye but Gina would be a close friend of his, and he clearly wouldn't advise her to bring back the HTC One if he felt it could not match her needs, which im guessing would be more then the average user.

Either this phone is extremely cheap or like Leo said it has something big that has not been leaked yet.

Ye but Gina would be a close friend of his, and he clearly wouldn't advise her to bring back the HTC One if he felt it could not match her needs, which im guessing would be more then the average user.

Either this phone is extremely cheap or like Leo said it has something big that has not been leaked yet.

There's no way Google are gonna piss off Samsung and HTC by selling a phone with better specs at half the price.

But if they do, fair play, it can only be good for everyone.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    There's no way Google are gonna piss off Samsung and HTC by selling a phone with better specs at half the price.

But if they do, fair play, it can only be good for everyone.

They did that already with the nexus 4.

• Advertisement

They did that already with the nexus 4.

True, but wasn't that before the HTC 1 and S4 google editions?

Advertisement