Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

cloudatlas wrote: »
    At the very least the staff at these companies should have a whip round before the intern leaves.

Why should the staff have a whip around it;s not them getting free labour. The owner should stick his hands in his pocket not the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

INTE 842704

The absence of anything identifying the company is telling
    The intern will gain practical experience in making coffee and sandwiches. Preparing all types of sandwiches and coffees learning how to deal with customers. You will also learn how to use the cash register. On completion the intern will have attained skills in coffee making and will have learned the skills of a sandwich bar. This Internship will provide an individual with an opportunity to put into practice the skills they have learned during prior training or education in a workplace setting. This role will enhance these skills, while providing an understanding of the workplace environment and allow the Intern to benefit from a mentor or supervisors experience and advice. The Host Organisation will provide practical tasks to enable the individual to apply the particular skills that they wish to learn or enhance and also the opportunity to obtain wider product or service knowledge and establish networks for future employment. Please contact the Host Organisation for further details.

Skills Requirements
    A good attitude. Presentable.

Please Note:
    This is an Internship. An allowance of €50 per week will be paid in addition to your current Social Welfare payment.See eligibility criteria above.

Department
    naas

Mentor
    The Organisation will assign a mentor to support you during the Internship.

Duration
    9 Months

Number of Positions

Contract Type
    Other

Days, Hours & Start Date
    Days per week: To be Advised
    Hours per day: Not specified
    Hours per week: 40
    Start Date: TBC

Experience Required:
    No Experience Required
    Education Requirements:
    Leaving Certificate Ordinary - Or equivalent. No qualifications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

INTE 842704

I would love some sandwich making skills. Last time I tried to make one I ended up with a lasagna.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I know of a good few people who have received letters from the Social that are basically advertisements for internships that may be of interest to them due to the skillset they have, but every letter would not give the company name, it just said private company and would give no phone number or address either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Xenji wrote: »
    We usually bring them out for a fancy lunch and get them a card and a bottle of wine the day they are finishing, they are also welcome to come in and use the photocopiers, scanners, printers ect after they have finished as well.

Why ye sure a good masters, yes sir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Why should the staff have a whip around it;s not them getting free labour. The owner should stick his hands in his pocket not the staff.

I know that's why I said 'At least'. If I was working somewhere getting full pay I'd feel bad about someone working for a fraction of my earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

INTE 842704

Can the intern eat the sandwiches?? :D

Why ye sure a good masters, yes sir.

Sure due to the hiring moratorium in the Council we cannot hire them in the end anyway, not sure why as I read that I put on the voice in my head as well :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

mikeym wrote: »
    Can the intern eat the sandwiches?? :D

If its in dunnes it could work in their favour. 8k payout

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭AlwaysAnyTime

It's simple really to make this scheme effective.

Goverment pay's the 238 and the host pays the difference to make it minimum wage.

The result companies that are struggling are getting an employee for 100 euro.

The country creates minimum wage jobs which benefits everybody.

Greedy company's looking for free labour won't be exploiting people.

I can't understand how this is not done it's the best thing for the country and for people.

I also don't understand why a system like this is not in place. Usually there's some downside to ideas like this but I genuinely can't think of any. Everyone benefits. The government can continue manipulating live register figures, the unemployed can get good experience and a minimum wage job, the employers can hire people for a fraction of the cost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

I also don't understand why a system like this is not in place. Usually there's some downside to ideas like this but I genuinely can't think of any. Everyone benefits. The government can continue manipulating live register figures, the unemployed can get good experience and a minimum wage job, the employers can hire people for a fraction of the cost.

I think it's a great idea, but for that to happen the government would have to admit the scheme is being used to fill (and thus take out of the market) actual jobs. They want to keep pretending it is all about people getting training which will give them the skills to gain employment, and that interns are not being treated and used the same as other employees while they serve in coffee shops, answer phones in an office, operate the till or fill shelves in a shop, 'work on their own initiative', and all the other things interns are doing now which they would have got minimum wage for in the good old days before slavebridge was cooked up.

Also the dole has been cut for young people and they will only get either 150 or 194 with the extra 50 for Jobbridge so if the employer was to make up the difference to bring the interns pay up to minimum wage it would be more expensive, and therefore less likely, for them to hire a young person, and that would defeat the purpose of the scheme which is in theory aimed at young graduates in need of experience.

Of course the reality is it is often people over 25 who are used to working and desperate for anything to fill their days and CV who are taking up internships, and that the scheme is used by companies who are either greedy or struggling financially, to fill jobs at no cost, and the training they are supposed to give is mostly an afterthought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Well I know for a fact that the Gateway scheme is forced upon social welfare recipients and they have no say in the matter and will have their dole cut if they do not partake in the scheme if requested to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

sligoface wrote: »

Also the dole has been cut for young people and they will only get either 150 or 194 with the extra 50 for Jobbridge so if the employer was to make up the difference to bring the interns pay up to minimum wage it would be more expensive, and therefore less likely, for them to hire a young person, and that would defeat the purpose of the scheme which is in theory aimed at young graduates in need of experience.

Of course the reality is it is often people over 25 who are used to working and desperate for anything to fill their days and CV who are taking up internships, and that the scheme is used by companies who are either greedy or struggling financially, to fill jobs at no cost, and the training they are supposed to give is mostly an afterthought.

I am fairly sure Jobsbridge is only for people 25 or over.

Tell that to all those under 25 who are currently on the scheme. I think you'll find that they are targeting the under 25s more so than most.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

No it isnt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Anybody here been successful in converting from JB to fulltime in the host company or hired directly as a result of experience gained?

jme2010 wrote: »
    Anybody here been successful in converting from JB to fulltime in the host company or hired directly as a result of experience gained?

About 8 people so far in this thread, yes I have been counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

About 8 people so far in this thread, yes I have been counting.

Any number on how many on this thread did a JobBridge internship?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Wompa1 wrote: »

I'm 1.

I disagree with the scheme. Had a bad experience.

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »

Quite a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

It would be cool to put up a poll to see how many did the Scheme and how many got a job out of it. Whether it be directly with the company they interned for or with a company after the program due to the experience they got.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I think I read it was 20% get jobs with the company they intern with.

I'd guess it is substantially lower than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

Jaysis. Wonder how many staff they have working there now. According the the jobbridge website they must have 21-30 employees working there now in order to hire 4 interns on the scheme.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

That Photographic Lab Assistant has to be just doing passport pictures, doubt you have a huge demand from people coming in with camera films wanting to be developed.

Everyone I know who went on it quit within a week aside from one guy who let himself be taken advantage of for 18 months because he's a sap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

rawn wrote: »
    Jaysis. Wonder how many staff they have working there now. According the the jobbridge website they must have 21-30 employees working there now in order to hire 4 interns on the scheme.

With the 4 they let go to fill these positions ,doubt it woud be 21.

Everyone I know who went on it quit within a week aside from one guy who let himself be taken advantage of for 18 months because he's a sap.

I have not came across anyone yet who has done 9 months with two different companies or even worse done three 6 month internships with three different companies.

• Advertisement

I have not came across anyone yet who has done 9 months with two different companies or even worse done three 6 month internships with three different companies.

The end of it wasn't still under the internship, he just let himself be taken advantage of because it was that kind of company. He was pretty much managing an office and now he's left they have 2 new interns in (one a jobbridge, one not) and the boss has to be in fulltime. Hopefully it'll make him realising that paying some staff might be a good idea.

Advertisement