Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

What would you call being forced to stand on the street for the council and if you wont having your dole stopped ?

Not 'legalised slavery' - that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I think all people want is the dignity of being given the opportunity of earning a fair wage for a day's work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I still cannot get over a 9 month internship for cleaning cars been advertised :eek: WHAT THE **** LIKE :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I still cannot get over a 9 month internship for cleaning cars been advertised :eek: WHAT THE **** LIKE :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Is this for real!?

• Advertisement

"The intern will gain practical experience in car valeting ."

Wow. This countries gotten out of control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

This is my idea of what JobBridge should be about

Planning Assistant - Forward Planning
    Based in CLONMEL Ref. INTE-843933
    Description
    The intern will gain practical experience in considerable experience in urban and rural planning, national and countywide policies and application of same. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following - enviornmental baselines, local government processes and decision making, public consultation and external agency participation. On completion the intern will have attained skills in the planning process

Like many other posters, I'm sickened by the number of waitress, car cleaner, labourer "internships".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,893 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

This is my idea of what JobBridge should be about

Planning Assistant - Forward Planning
    Based in CLONMEL Ref. INTE-843933
    Description
    The intern will gain practical experience in considerable experience in urban and rural planning, national and countywide policies and application of same. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following - enviornmental baselines, local government processes and decision making, public consultation and external agency participation. On completion the intern will have attained skills in the planning process

Like many other posters, I'm sickened by the number of waitress, car cleaner, labourer "internships".

Did you check the number of ads for waitresses? You may be heartened to know that it is 5. Labourer is 6 and Car Valet is 9. This is for the whole country. I used two other random search words Architect and Surveyor and they returned 22 and 17 respectively.

People are allowing themselves to be outraged by individual ads. My advice is just ignore them if they are not suitable. The Dole cannot march 300,000 people down the street into these placements against their will because the maximum number on Jobbridge at any one time is limited to 8,500. I have yet to see evidence that anyone has had their Dole cut for not applying for a waitress or labourer placement.

I would rather if anyone responding to this would confine themselves to Jobbridge the subject of this thread and leave out any mention of other makework schemes and/or emigration. The statistics for those are freely available despite the assertion by some people here that they are being hidden to massage the Live Register figures. And Live Register is not the same as unemployed necessarily.

http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/lr/liveregisterapril2014/
    (see Activation Programmes table, always a month behind the Live Register)

P.S. people on the Dole are obviously ignoring the waiting staff/waiter/waitress ads. Three of them are from March and the other two are 9th and 24th April. How come the Dole hasn't forced someone to take up these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

One of the most frustrating elements of the way Jobbridge is being ran now is that waitress, car cleaner, labourer etc. positions would have been paid positions in the past. Now companies are free to advertise these positions for 40 hours per week and not lose a cent in wage expenses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Cop on and don't derail the thread with this muck.

If I was derailing the thread I'd hear about it from a mod. Your posts are hardly adding much to it in fairness, your last post was two words calling me cynical. It's a government implemented program which allows unwaged work in menial jobs, what else can you call it? It's not an internship, an internship is supposed to be training for a career. Show me another country where people do internships to wait tables or clean cars. Show me a country where people who wait on others for free are called anything but servants. Maybe then I'll cop on and say it's all fine and dandy that jobbridge is replacing what has always been entry level paid work with free labor.

Did you check the number of ads for waitresses? You may be heartened to know that it is 5. Labourer is 6 and Car Valet is 9. This is for the whole country. I used two other random search words Architect and Surveyor and they returned 22 and 17 respectively.

People are allowing themselves to be outraged by individual ads. My advice is just ignore them if they are not suitable. The Dole cannot march 300,000 people down the street into these placements against their will because the maximum number on Jobbridge at any one time is limited to 8,500. I have yet to see evidence that anyone has had their Dole cut for not applying for a waitress or labourer placement.

I would rather if anyone responding to this would confine themselves to Jobbridge the subject of this thread and leave out any mention of other makework schemes and/or emigration. The statistics for those are freely available despite the assertion by some people here that they are being hidden to massage the Live Register figures. And Live Register is not the same as unemployed necessarily.

P.S. people on the Dole are obviously ignoring the waiting staff/waiter/waitress ads. Three of them are from March and the other two are 9th and 24th April. How come the Dole hasn't forced someone to take up these?

I agree with your points. I feel that ONE advert for any of the waitress/shop work/car cleaners is one too many. I am glad that people seem to be avoiding those that have little to offer.

I agree with your points. I feel that ONE advert for any of the waitress/shop work/car cleaners is one too many. I am glad that people seem to be avoiding those that have little to offer.

It may be that it is too difficult to frame regulations to confine Jobbridge to certain categories and disbar others. People on here were outraged by a placement for an Organic Farm worker but why is that less honourable than say Accountancy or Archicture? Some person local to the restaurant could be prepared to do the waiting staff placement for the extra €50 instead of sitting at home all day. And they are not precluded from seeking other employment in the meantime. Or people on the Dole can just ignore anything they consider too menial or infra dig.

Yeah let's just ignore the abuse and it wil go away. That's the ticket.
    Again your argument is to cut and paste numbers and links. Now you want us to only talk about jobbridge and not include other schemes and never mention emigration? Boy, Fine Gael have trained you well. But if that's what you want, ok. I'll play your game.

From FAS website searches, limiting the first search to job (waged work) and the second to internship (jobbridge)

Sligo: job = 42, internship = 51
    Carlow: job=50, internship= 28
    Cavan: job=28, internship=30
    Clare: job=58, internship=51
    Donegal: jobs=108, internship=63
    Cork city: job=153, internship=149
    Cork county: job=143, internship=80
    Galway city: job=82, internship=102
    Galway County: 81, 57
    Kerry: 106, 72
    Kildare: 133, 99
    Kilkenny: 54, 34
    Laois: 40, 35
    Leitrim: 23, 15
    Limerick City: 50, 73
    Limerick County: 44, 38
    Longford: 22, 19
    Louth: 84, 67
    Mayo: 63, 72
    Meath: 85, 63
    Monaghan: 26, 48
    Offaly: 33, 33
    Roscommon: 18, 21
    North Tipp: 30, 26
    South Tipp: 45, 34
    Waterford City: 32, 36
    Waterford County: 16, 31
    Wexford: 62, 75
    Wicklow: 77, 62
    Dublin showed 300 jobs vs 300 internships.(300 is the max amount of results you can bring up)

In 10 counties and even in some of our largest cities like Limerick and Galway there are more internships than jobs. Only 8 searches came back with significantly more (20+) jobs than internships. So in the majority of Ireland the amount of internships is either nearly equal to or greater than the amount of jobs. So please stop posting links to the CSO and saying it's only a small portion of the unemployment problem because it's clearly not. As I've said before, you really don't have a proper argument for the scheme, you just support it because you support Fine Gael. If it was a different party in power I doubt you'd be on board, especially if you were a jobseeker.

I also doubt very much that you yourself would jump at the chance to wait tables for fifty quid a week, if you were unemployed and 'sitting at home all day'. The fact that you think waiting tables is a good way to pass the time and that unemployed people sit at home doing nothing really says a lot about where you're coming from. You've certainly never worked in a restaurant if you think that. I have, and trust me, you wouldn't do it for 1.25 an hour for even a single day.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Did you check the number of ads for waitresses? You may be heartened to know that it is 5. Labourer is 6 and Car Valet is 9.

There's also general operative ones. Stores person to work in renault trucks on the long mile road.

There's more thay I can't think of off the top of my head.

sligoface wrote: »
    Yeah let's just ignore the abuse and it wil go away. That's the ticket.
    Again your argument is to cut and paste numbers and links. Now you want us to only talk about jobbridge and not include other schemes and never mention emigration? Boy, Fine Gael have trained you well. But if that's what you want, ok. I'll play your game.

From FAS website searches, limiting the first search to job (waged work) and the second to internship (jobbridge)

Sligo: job = 42, internship = 51
    Carlow: job=50, internship= 28
    Cavan: job=28, internship=30
    Clare: job=58, internship=51
    Donegal: jobs=108, internship=63
    Cork city: job=153, internship=149
    Cork county: job=143, internship=80
    Galway city: job=82, internship=102
    Galway County: 81, 57
    Kerry: 106, 72
    Kildare: 133, 99
    Kilkenny: 54, 34
    Laois: 40, 35
    Leitrim: 23, 15
    Limerick City: 50, 73
    Limerick County: 44, 38
    Longford: 22, 19
    Louth: 84, 67
    Mayo: 63, 72
    Meath: 85, 63
    Monaghan: 26, 48
    Offaly: 33, 33
    Roscommon: 18, 21
    North Tipp: 30, 26
    South Tipp: 45, 34
    Waterford City: 32, 36
    Waterford County: 16, 31
    Wexford: 62, 75
    Wicklow: 77, 62
    Dublin showed 300 jobs vs 300 internships.(300 is the max amount of results you can bring up)

In 10 counties and even in some of our largest cities like Limerick and Galway there are more internships than jobs. Only 8 searches came back with significantly more (20+) jobs than internships. So in the majority of Ireland the amount of internships is either nearly equal to or greater than the amount of jobs. So please stop posting links to the CSO and saying it's only a small portion of the unemployment problem because it's clearly not. As I've said before, you really don't have a proper argument for the scheme, you just support it because you support Fine Gael. If it was a different party in power I doubt you'd be on board, especially if you were a jobseeker.

I also doubt very much that you yourself would jump at the chance to wait tables for fifty quid a week, if you were unemployed and 'sitting at home all day'. The fact that you think waiting tables is a good way to pass the time and that unemployed people sit at home doing nothing really says a lot about where you're coming from. You've certainly never worked in a restaurant if you think that. I have, and trust me, you wouldn't do it for 1.25 an hour for even a single day.

The total for the country is around 2800. The Live Register reduced by 3400 last month. There are around 2 million people working. Your university education, even if interrupted, has served you very poorly if you are allowing yourself to be fixated by Jobbridge and making it the reason for your personal woes. I left school at 14 to earn a living. And not that it is of any import but I have never ever voted for Fine Gael, nor have I any connection with them or any or political party or organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It may be that it is too difficult to frame regulations to confine Jobbridge to certain categories and disbar others. People on here were outraged by a placement for an Organic Farm worker but why is that less honourable than say Accountancy or Archicture? Some person local to the restaurant could be prepared to do the waiting staff placement for the extra €50 instead of sitting at home all day. And they are not precluded from seeking other employment in the meantime. Or people on the Dole can just ignore anything they consider too menial or infra dig.

In my case, my objection is mainly regarding the length of the training period.

I can imagine internships in architecture or accountancy where an intern with no experience could learn things pretty consistently over 9 months.

I cannot fathom how somebody could possibly still be learning new skills after interning for 9 months at Tesco.

I've said it before and I'll say it again now: any host company should have to submit a detailed proposal outlining what the intern's role will be, how long the internship will last, who will train them, what they will be trained on, and when, and how these skills will be useful for them. For free labour, it's the least they could do.

Also, potential hosts would have to submit their non-jobbridge training system for comparison. When Tesco or the local cafe hires a new staff on a wage, how long does it take to train them in? And if that's however long it takes, why should a jobbridge internship be any longer than that?

The total for the country is around 2800. The Live Register reduced by 3400 last month. There are around 2 million people working. Your university education, even if interrupted, has served you very poorly if you are allowing yourself to be fixated by Jobbridge and making it the reason for your personal woes. I left school at 14 to earn a living. And not that it is of any import but I have never ever voted for Fine Gael, nor have I any connection with them or any or political party or organisation.

I live in a county where there are more internships than jobs, but jobbridge is blameless? I disagree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

sligoface wrote: »
    I live in a county where there are more internships than jobs, but jobbridge is blameless? I disagree.

Move. It's not that big of a country.

I remember reading an article about how the US never stays in recession as long as other countries because people are willing to move about within the country for work.

In Ireland we want everything on our terms or we'd sooner just sit at home on the dole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Worksforyou

Move. It's not that big of a country.

I remember reading an article about how the US never stays in recession as long as other countries because people are willing to move about within the country for work.

In Ireland we want everything on our terms or we'd sooner just sit at home on the dole.

Move to be on the dole in a different county?

• Advertisement

Move to be on the dole in a different county?

Moving to a county with work would make more sense.

:D You don't get it do you? Where is this county that you can just show up and get a job?

Creating work where you want to be would make more sense.

Supporting entrepreneurship would make ten times more sense than this JobBridge crap.

Where is this county that you can just show up and get a job?

That statement is all people need to know about a certain type of "jobseeker" in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

:D You don't get it do you? Where is this county that you can just show up and get a job?

Exactly. 50 jobs (as an example) per county is ridiculously small when you think of the number of people applying for them. It isn'ty just the unemployed, it is also people working that want to switch jobs.

Getting a real job these days is such a big deal you would want to organise a weekend-long celebration!!!

Getting a real job these days is such a big deal you would want to organise a weekend-long celebration!!!

Do "real" jobs pay realer money than non-"real" jobs these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

osarusan wrote: »

I cannot fathom how somebody could possibly still be learning new skills after interning for 9 months at Tesco.

You shouldn't be "interning" in those type of jobs even for 10 minutes

That statement is all people need to know about a certain type of "jobseeker" in this country.

I have a job. :D Now where is this county with all the jobs freely available?

Do "real" jobs pay realer money than non-"real" jobs these days?

Yes, if you're in a real job your employers pay you real money, if you're in a jobsbridge job your employers don't pay you any money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

What is it about Jobbridge's supporters and their total lack of empathy for the unemployed? Methinks it's down to too many times **** to "Atlas Shrugged".

Advertisement