Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Bambi wrote: »
    Being banned from the politics forum on boards is probably the best endorsement of a poster there is. Long and proud history of dubious mods on that forum :)
    Heh :) Ah even though I disagree with them, I can see where the mods were coming from and I don't really have any bad feelings over it; just an irreconcilable difference in views; I think it's a well moderated forum.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Considering that something like 59% of people don't conplete their internship, then those figure are a lot less impressive. 65.8% of 31% isn't exactly an overwhelming success now is it. But sure you'll be telling us that all those people dropped out because they got great jobs and not due to the scheme being a failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

So what your saying us that all those 63% left early as they got jobs. I'm sure that was the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Considering that something like 59% of people don't conplete their internship, then those figure are a lot less impressive. 65.8% of 31% isn't exactly an overwhelming success now is it. But sure you'll be telling us that all those people dropped out because they got great jobs and not due to the scheme being a failure.

why is it not possible they asked participants, not just those that completed the full 9 months, for feedback!?

anyone who was succesful in my job did not do the full 9 months, cause dun dun dun they got another job. seriously, negative for negative sake is all that goes into this thread.

But people are overwhelmingly dissatisfied with it. You only need to read peoples personal experiences tp see that. I know of people on a course who were told by those running it that if they gave negative feedback then their payment would be affected. And guess what, very few gave anything but a glowing write up even though they hated it. The reason being that most of them were terrified of losing any of their payment. We have had multiple people in this thread talk about how they complained and were met with a "we don't care" from FAS and the DSP so is it so hard to believe that many people just ticked good to save themselves any future hassle.
    yankinlk wrote: »
    why is it not possible they asked participants, not just those that completed the full 9 months, for feedback!?

anyone who was succesful in my job did not do the full 9 months, cause dun dun dun they got another job. seriously, negative for negative sake is all that goes into this thread.

The thing is that there is no proof that the scheme is a success. There is no evidence that those people who secured a job outside of the hose organization did so thanks to jobsbridge.

Those of us who criticise the scheme recognize it's value and what could be done with it if handled correctly but we also see the faults. The other side refuse to acknowledge any faults and talk about what a success it is. D

Yet again you take something someone wrote out of context to try and prive your point. Can you point out where I said that?

If people are so satisfied with it then where are they? Why are there not more people in here singing it's praises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

No they don't. I've only seen one person mocking anyone, and that was you mocking the unemployed for claiming they were poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Instead of going on statistics of a report that will be 2 years old in November as it only goes as far as November 2012 with it's statistics, maybe the government should get another Indecon report done so we can compare figures to how the scheme was received in 2011/2012 to how it is received now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Xenji wrote: »
    Instead of going on statistics of a report that will be 2 years old in November as it only goes as far as November 2012 with it's statistics, maybe the government should get another Indecon report done so we can compare figures to how the scheme was received in 2011/2012 to how it is received now.

There is probably a very good reason why one has not be put out yet as if it contained anything they could spin I'm guessing it would be out already.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Agreed, the Indecon report is the most valid instrument we have.

Since we're agreed on that, can you recall the report's statistics on the % of companies who reported that, if the scheme had not been in place, they would have offered paid employment instead? I asked you to find these when you commented that anybody talking about exploitation is a quasi-Marxist moaner, or words to that effect.

Also, since you agree with the validity of the report, why do you argue that the live register is a valid control group for evaluating the success of JobBridge, when the report itself explains why it is not a valid control group at all?

As I said earlier, you haven't (or hadn't then) read the report, and were working off the stats from the indo article. When asked for other figures, you spoke vaguely about 'many' or 'a lot'.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Not true

And this is the second time you've being called on this, so no excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DBDH

While the Indecon report is the only data/research that we have on JobBridge, it's worthwhile remembering that it only represents the results from 2,364 respondents (out of 4,401 surveys distributed).

Out of these 2,364 respondents, 60% had attained a Primary Degree or a Masters - educational qualifications that usually increase job opportunities.
    Out of these 2,364 respondents, 72% had previously been employed on a full time basis. (see page 12 of report)
    Would the high percentage of this educated, experienced demographic participating in the research skew the results (as they theoretically were better placed to gain employment with/without JobBridge)?

While we can go round and round dissecting the figures in the report, it should only be used as an indicator of the situation, while considering the profile of the respondents - especially in light of the fact that, as of March 26th, 27,282 people have commenced a JobBridge internship since the scheme started.

Politicians will always be selective in the headline statistics they can use to promote their scheme, that's why this "60% found employment within 5 months of finishing an internship" is a convenient soundbite.

DBDH wrote: »
    While the Indecon report is the only data/research that we have on JobBridge, it's worthwhile remembering that it only represents the results from 2,364 respondents (out of 4,401 surveys distributed).

Out of these 2,364 respondents, 60% had attained a Primary Degree or a Masters - educational qualifications that usually increase job opportunities.
    Out of these 2,364 respondents, 72% had previously been employed on a full time basis. (see page 12 of report)
    Would the high percentage of this educated, experienced demographic participating in the research skew the results (as they theoretically were better placed to gain employment with/without JobBridge)?

While we can go round and round dissecting the figures in the report, it should only be used as an indicator of the situation, while considering the profile of the respondents - especially in light of the fact that, as of March 26th, 27,282 people have commenced a JobBridge internship since the scheme started.

Politicians will always be selective in the headline statistics they can use to promote their scheme, that's why this "60% found employment within 5 months of finishing an internship" is a convenient soundbite.
    Fair point, and the very reason why the jobbridge re-employment rates can't be simply compared to the live register re-employment rates.

The Indecon report recognises this (that the general make-up of jobbridge applicants does not mirror the make-up of those on the live register), and attempts to weight the figures accordingly.

what would be interesting to know is if the make-up (in terms of age, experience, qualifications) of those sent surveys mirrors the make-up of Jobbridge applicants as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

No they don't. I've only seen one person mocking anyone, and that was you mocking the unemployed for claiming they were poor.

In fairness, that's not entirely true. I was called a troll, that it didn't say much about me for wanting to work in a cafe, I was being paid by FG and labour to troll, I was probably Joan Burton herself and I'm a "useful idiot", for sharing my experience. One poster said they really enjoyed me being backed into a corner..
    I would call that mocking!

arf91 wrote: »
    In fairness, that's not entirely true. I was called a troll, that it didn't say much about me for wanting to work in a cafe, I was being paid by FG and labour to troll, I was probably Joan Burton herself and I'm a "useful idiot", for sharing my experience. One poster said they really enjoyed me being backed into a corner..
    I would call that mocking!

Grand so, permabear was mocking the unemployed for being poor and people were mocking you for offering yourself up for an internship in a restaurant waitressing.

Permabear stated that numerous people were mocked, this is untrue.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

Why did it not include a control group in the first place? Seems like a big oversight.

Indeed. But that figure rises to just over 10% for larger companies. That is to say, just over 1 in 10 larger companies are using interns where they would otherwise have paid somebody to do the job. Yet you dismiss any criticism of this as

In response to my questions about a control group, you cited seasonally adjusted live register rates of 6.9% to highlight the superior figures for jobbridge:
    Of course there is. The seasonally adjusted live register was 400,700 at the end of January 2014, representing an annual decline of just 6.9 percent.
    What was the purpose of this, if not to suggest they act as a control group? 6.9% is far removed from any weighted statistics in the report, as you now know.
    I posted some figures from the report which indicate this a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Already on a tus scheme, for doing it im getting taxed because I claim for 3 others. never Said at interviews I would be taxed only that I would get an extra 20, getting less now because of the tax. My question is when I off this and get hounded to do jobsbridge or gateway how does payment Work do ya get 50 euro off employer or is it all one payment into bank, 22 months on gateway is a long time with no raise.

consider your self lucky. blind pensioners are banned from jobbridge and their income is still taxed.

The report indicated a displacement rate of between 3 and 4 percent. Not a high figure in my opinion, but yet another one you either didn't know, or pretended not to know, so you could offer another lower figure.

But, conveniently, you forgot to add the numbers for those hosts who responded that they were 'fairly likely' to have offered employment in the absence of the scheme, the extra 22.5% makes a total of 29% of companies who were highly or fairly likely to have offered jobs.

• Advertisement

No, only you have inferred this. People have stated time and time again they would have no issues with the scheme if it was properly regulated.

Advertisement