Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    With the 4 they let go to fill these positions ,doubt it woud be 21.

The rules are there but are they enforced do they even have the recourses to check the placements. Most people are saying they only see someone at the exit of the internship. And I'm guessing it's in FAS and questions like were there 20 odd people working there don't come up it’s just like did you learn anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Lisbeth Salander

I did an internship, it was a good place to work while I was there but they have just continued taking on intern after intern when they clearly have a position to fill. The experience got me no where. I won't do another one! No jobs will be created while jobbridge is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I wonder how people working for these companys feel about interns coming in, must feel pretty insecure, the next intern could be doing their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I mentioned awhile back that for the first time we were struggling with getting new interns in and we wound up getting a lovely girl in the end, great worker and one of the best we have had, but the department manager has now got two students in for 6 weeks doing work experience full time , another person in every Wednesday and another in every Thursday from a PLC course for 2 months, he just got another intern in on JobBridge who started last week and has 2 staff job sharing from redeployment starting next month.

The original intern has nothing to do now, all her responsibilities have been given to the new staff, so she quit this week as she literally only had about an hours work to do each day, first time it has happened and it is a great shame as she is a far better worker than what has came in, but it shows how easy it is to get staff in for free.

Xenji wrote: »
    I mentioned awhile back that for the first time we were struggling with getting new interns in and we wound up getting a lovely girl in the end, great worker and one of the best we have had, but the department manager has now got two students in for 6 weeks doing work experience full time , another person in every Wednesday and another in every Thursday from a PLC course for 2 months, he just got another intern in on JobBridge who started last week and has 2 staff job sharing from redeployment starting next month.

The original intern has nothing to do now, all her responsibilities have been given to the new staff, so she quit this week as she literally only had about an hours work to do each day, first time it has happened and it is a great shame as she is a far better worker than what has came in, but it shows how easy it is to get staff in for free.

And I would bet that the girl who had to leave will no doubt get a grilling from the DSP about why she left while the employer is allowed to exploit every scheme they can.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

jme2010 wrote: »
    Anybody here been successful in converting from JB to fulltime in the host company or hired directly as a result of experience gained?

I started a 6 month internship with 3 others. We were all made permanent after only 2 months. I believe the company had also made 9 interns permanent last year, and are planning to take on more this year.

Probably the exception to the rule however.

And I would bet that the girl who had to leave will no doubt get a grilling from the DSP about why she left while the employer is allowed to exploit every scheme they can.

I wrote her a letter stating that we did not have enough work for her on behalf of the manager and if they had any more questions they could contact the department.

deconduo wrote: »
    I started a 6 month internship with 3 others. We were all made permanent after only 2 months. I believe the company had also made 9 interns permanent last year, and are planning to take on more this year.

Probably the exception to the rule however.

Which company is this, always good to hear success stories and it could help people applying for the scheme to know companies they have a chance with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I was talking to an old friend recently who quit stacking shelves to go on the dole in order to get a jobbridge internship with an engineering company who subsequently hired him and sent him to Waterford on 22k! Even that good news anecdote shocked me after reading this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Valmont wrote: »
    I was talking to an old friend recently who quit stacking shelves to go on the dole in order to get a jobbridge internship with an engineering company who subsequently hired him and sent him to Waterford on 22k! Even that good news anecdote shocked me after reading this thread.
    To Waterford! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Tell that to all those under 25 who are currently on the scheme. I think you'll find that they are targeting the under 25s more so than most.

To be honest i was under 25 last year and got hounded. I got a part time job for 9 months and got them off my back. Since i have turned 25 i have not got as much hassle for being sent for pointless interviews. It's a fair point a good few people i know in their early 20's are getting targeted more.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    No it isnt :)

You could be right i may have been mixing it up with the CE scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

9 month internship 39 hours a week for................... A FCUKING CAR VALET :pac::pac::pac:

What are these employers smoking!!!

Gringo180 wrote: »
    9 month internship 39 hours a week for................... A FCUKING CAR VALET :pac::pac::pac:

Wait until the jobsbridge apologist come in and start telling us what a great opportunity it is.

Really is sickening how a scheme with so much potential is being run horribly and letting people get abused. Can't understand why the goverment have not made simple changes that will benefit the whole country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Xenji wrote: »

Jaysus, the neck on him. He'll have his granny wheeled in next to stuff envelopes.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Jaysus, the neck on him. He'll have his granny wheeled in next to stuff envelopes.

His hands are tied, decision comes down from the higher ups in the council and he cannot say no, it is the quiet time for us as well coming into the summer months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Really is sickening how a scheme with so much potential is being run horribly and letting people get abused. Can't understand why the goverment have not made simple changes that will benefit the whole country.

The only way to understand it is to understand, and accept, that our government does not care about you, or me, or any of us. They are in it for the money only and to satisfy their egos, and they will do anything to stay in power. So they come up with schemes like this so they can lie about employment figures, because they know if they told the told the truth they wouldn't last very long.

They don't want to benefit the whole country. They would rather divide the people (divide and conquer) because it makes it easier for them to stay in power. They would hate to have a population that is not divided because then the people would have the power and they would overwhelm and dismantle an unfair and unjust government.

So the government sees a section of the population which is unemployed and receiving welfare, which they can't do much about, but they also know that there are plenty of people who would support welfare recipients being made to work because they think all people who are unemployed are lazy, or that they wouldn't pay so much tax if there wasn't social welfare. These right wing types (mostly middle class and middle age or older) will vehemently support a government which they think will stop giving away their money to the lower classes. IMO it is partly because they are arrogant, and simply feel contempt for the lower class, and partly because they are afraid of ending up just like the people they rail against. Unfortunately, younger people and poorer people vote less frequently.

Now you have the government who needs to stay in power and a majority of the population being a middle class who wants to stay middle class. Which leads to the government manipulating the middle class into thinking they are doing what is in their interests by any means available. And they have to keep our banker and European governing bodies happy as well. Which means it's guaranteed that these work for dole schemes will increase, despite the obvious flaws and lack of foresight, and pressure will be put upon the citizens of Ireland to work for their benefits because it means they can be taken off the official live register. They don't care that the company pays nothing or that people are working full time for well below the legal minimum wage, because the poor people and young people who are unable to find work and unable to support themselves are not who they care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Conspiracy theories are fun

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

sligoface wrote: »
    The only way to understand it is to understand, and accept, that our government does not care about you, or me, or any of us. They are in it for the money only and to satisfy their egos, and they will do anything to stay in power.

cynical much?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

cynical much?

It's not too far removed from the truth though, is it?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    It's not too far removed from the truth though, is it?

It would be fairly far removed from the truth to state that every politician is in it for the money and would do anything to stay in power. Its far more likely that some of them are just incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Gringo180 wrote: »

The wages they should be paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

It would be fairly far removed from the truth to state that every politician is in it for the money and would do anything to stay in power. Its far more likely that some of them are just incompetent.

Yeah but nearly ALL of them!? Bit of a fishy coincidence don't you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

AdamD wrote: »
    Conspiracy theories are fun

Our government has legalized slavery. They are consistently lying to the public, quoting figures of increased employment without mention of emigration or people being excluded from unemployment statistics while doing internships, tus schemes, gateway schemes, fas courses and ce schemes which are all paid for by the taxpayer. I wish it was a freakin conspiracy theory. IMO it ceases to be a theory when the slavery and lies are right in front of us.

Maybe I was a bit OTT in my rant, but I am seriously outraged by this scheme and cannot believe we as a society would allow it. But I guess some people think it's ok as long as it's not them who is being screwed. Not them stuck on the dole, being desperate to work but seeing nothing but internships, being constantly worried about paying for basic necessities, having your self esteem go to pieces as the gap on your CV gets wider each day.

As regards my being cynical. Ok, runawaybishop, you got me. But I think I have good reason to be.

I graduated college with an ordinary degree in 2011. I couldn't afford to do the honours year due to cuts to the grant and because I also lost my part time job, due to being replaced by a cheaper foreign worker when the minimum wage was lowered to 7.65. So in my case the government basically took someone who was in college AND working and forced them out of both and into the dole queue.

I couldn't get a job or continue college so I did a fas course. I still couldn't get a job. So I did a jobbridge. Where instead of learning I was made to basically perform my mentor's tasks while she was away doing a course two days a week and then gone on maternity leave, where I also took paid work away from a local guy who used to do freelance jobs for my host organization, and where some days I was made to just stuff envelopes for hours. When I complained about these issues nothing was done. So I quit. Was on the dole for another year before I finally got a temp job. Got let go after a year just before last Christmas. Back on the dole again.

A quick check on the fas website today shows that only 43 out of the 100 positions advertised in my county are waged. Out of that 43 a good few are part time, commission based and most are at the min wage.

My experience is not unique, this is what young people who can't afford to emigrate are facing each day all over Ireland. You'd be cynical too.

sligoface wrote: »
    Our government has legalized slavery.

Cop on and don't derail the thread with this muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Welcome to the economic right, where zero hour contracts and working for fuck-all are OK, because PRAISE THE MARKET.

Welcome to the economic right, where zero hour contracts and working for fuck-all are OK, because PRAISE THE MARKET.

How about not equating a ****ty scheme with indentured slavery and instead using more logical arguments instead of emotive language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I read that there's a new dog day care centre in Galway. Its in the Galway forums in the business opening/closing down.

Only a few weeks ago and they were looking for interns for their brand new business.

There's something wrong there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

What would you call being forced to stand on the street for the council and if you wont having your dole stopped ?

Advertisement