Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N.I census correction,,catholics even closer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Nope ........... BBC's wording was outrageously biased

I wouldn't consider the BBC poll "outrageously biased" as such but by using "tomorrow" in that question, I think people maybe were thinking about their wallets first and political aspirations second.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I wouldn't consider the BBC poll "outrageously biased" as such but by using "tomorrow" in that question, I think people maybe were thinking about their wallets first and political aspirations second.
    Well then we agree on one thing. People in the North place economic concerns before nationalist. That in itself is very important to know.

People in the North place economic concerns before nationalist.

Economic concerns that are not merely exclusive to Nationalists or the North itself.

Economic concerns that are not merely exclusive to Nationalists or the North itself.
    No but it tells us the economic question is more important then the national question. So long as Britain can keep the standard of living artificially higher in NI then in the Republic then a UI will be indefinitely postponed. That's the conclusion to draw from these results.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

So long as Britain can keep the standard of living artificially higher in NI then in the Republic then a UI will be indefinitely postponed. That's the conclusion to draw from these results.

There is no doubt that Britain is keeping the standard of living artificially higher in NI. However, the issue is not their ability to keep it higher than the Republic, as they haven't done this in recent years. The issue is NIs chronic need for an economic prop, itself a condemnation of the "United Kingdom.

• Advertisement

ardmacha wrote: »
    There is no doubt that Britain is keeping the standard of living artificially higher in NI. However, the issue is not their ability to keep it higher than the Republic, as they haven't done this in recent years. The issue is NIs chronic need for an economic prop, itself a condemnation of the "United Kingdom.
    Why? We repatriate money from Dublin to Mayo. All modern economies try to level the standard of living across the country. The UK is no different and shouldn't be condemned for it.

P.S Could you use the quote function? It's hard to see who you're talking to.

The UK is no different and shouldn't be condemned for it.

Why shouldn't they be condemned for using public expenditure as an instrument of colonisation?
    P.S Could you use the quote function? It's hard to see who you're talking to

You'll just have to try and keep up.

Why shouldn't they be condemned for using public expenditure as an instrument of colonisation?
    Because they aren't. They're just repatriating capital from the wealthy south of England to the less prosperous NI. To give all citizens of the UK a comparable standard of living. We do the same thing with Dublin and Mayo.
    You'll just have to try and keep up.
    Very well but if this conversation abruptly ends you'll know why.

Because they aren't. They're just repatriating capital from the wealthy south of England to the less prosperous NI

They've created a situation where the North, once the most prosperous part of the country, is an economic basket case and this is affecting the question of unification, as you often say yourself.
    Very well but if this conversation abruptly ends you'll know why.

Because you accept my point?

They've created a situation where the North, once the most prosperous part of the country, is an economic basket case and this is affecting the question of unification, as you often say yourself.
    Britain didn't cause NI's economic hardship. They granted the majority of Ireland independence when they asked for it and now they're trying to make the most out of what they have. In a modern first world economy large regional differences in income wouldn't be accepted so repatriation is necessary.
    Because you accept my point?
    Possibly but I doubt it. More likely I will have missed your post because my username's not at the top.

• Advertisement

Britain didn't cause NI's economic hardship. They granted the majority of Ireland independence when they asked for it and now they're trying to make the most out of what they have. In a modern first world economy large regional differences in income wouldn't be accepted so repatriation is necessary.

The people in Tyrone also asked for independence, why are they less deserving of it than those elsewhere in Ireland?

So if I have it right, you are saying that Britain did not cause NI's economic hardship, but if all of Ireland had remained in the UK it would, somehow, be prosperous.

The people in Tyrone also asked for independence, why are they less deserving of it than those elsewhere in Ireland?

So if I have it right, you are saying that Britain did not cause NI's economic hardship, but if all of Ireland had remained in the UK it would, somehow, be prosperous.
    They did but a compromise had to be made and the line had to be drawn somewhere. No solution would have been perfect and some nationalists were going to be left on the "wrong" side.

I said nothing of the sort. Ireland's economic position within the UK would be impossible to predict.

Because they aren't. They're just repatriating capital from the wealthy south of England to the less prosperous NI. To give all citizens of the UK a comparable standard of living. We do the same thing with Dublin and Mayo.

Ardmacha talked about the transfer of wealth as an instrument of colonisation. British colonisation had political consequences on this island. You've already said that British economic policy in NI (artificial raising of it's living standards) has a potential knock on political effect (the postponement of a UI). The transfer of capital between Dublin and Mayo does not, if linked to similar political consequences, i.e. it probably won't influence Mayo's political status within the RoI, so why use Dublin and Mayo as an example?

Ardmacha talked about the transfer of wealth as an instrument of colonisation. British colonisation had political consequences on this island. You've already said that British economic policy in NI (artificial raising of it's living standards) has a potential knock on political effect (the postponement of a UI). The transfer of capital between Dublin and Mayo does not, if linked to similar political consequences, i.e. it probably won't influence Mayo's political status within the RoI, so why use Dublin and Mayo as an example?
    I have no doubt the British are aware their financial repatriation promotes political stability but this doesn't mean their motivations are limited to the maintenance of the UK. All modern economies promote a standardised standard of living across the whole country. Ireland is no different and I used it as an example.

I don't think it is fair to say the UK is promoting colonisation. Large scale regional differences in wealth would not be tolerated. They're just doing what their citizens are demanding of them.

I don't claim that the modern British government is quite promoting colonisation in the manner of their predecessors. However, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is not a real union of equals, it is Britain and an appendage. The British have no real interest or understanding in the other bit, they just do their own thing and then sort NI's needs with a few £. Like a marriage where the wife has a credit card with a good limit, but no real respect or equal status. Like such a marriage these golden shackles make it hard to leave, but not especially happy. In these turbulent economic times this deal is tolerable. In a decade or so, when the Republic is again moving ahead and the majority in NI are no longer unionist in any meaningful sense, this contradiction will become much more apparent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

I don't claim that the modern British government is quite promoting colonisation in the manner of their predecessors. However, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is not a real union of equals, it is Britain and an appendage. The British have no real interest or understanding in the other bit, they just do their own thing and then sort NI's needs with a few £. Like a marriage where the wife has a credit card with a good limit, but no real respect or equal status. Like such a marriage these golden shackles make it hard to leave, but not especially happy. In these turbulent economic times this deal is tolerable. In a decade or so, when the Republic is again moving ahead and the majority in NI are no longer unionist in any meaningful sense, this contradiction will become much more apparent.

And then at that point Dublin will finance the north but it will be different because they will really respect the north and we will all live happily ever after?

And then at that point Dublin will finance the north but it will be different because they will really respect the north and we will all live happily ever after?

Why should Dublin "finance" the North? We want a United Ireland, not one with a main bit and a supplicant appendage. The north, south, east and west should be the same, and can certainly live happily ever after if you and your ilk are not trying to keep 17th century ethic concepts alive.

Why should Dublin "finance" the North? We want a United Ireland, not one with a main bit and a supplicant appendage. The north, south, east and west should be the same, and can certainly live happily ever after if you and your ilk are not trying to keep 17th century ethic concepts alive.

It really is as simple as dublin would be the main financial hub of the country, I would imagine that dublin already supports the rest of the country? Why would this change?

In the Republic, the likes of Cork is more or less about the average, there is some flow of resources from Dublin to the likes of Leitrim or Roscommon. In a United Ireland one would expect some subsidy to Fermanagh or West Tyrone, but the Belfast area would not need this.

In the Republic, the likes of Cork is more or less about the average, there is some flow of resources from Dublin to the likes of Leitrim or Roscommon. In a United Ireland one would expect some subsidy to Fermanagh or West Tyrone, but the Belfast area would not need this.

Why would belfast not need it? Overnight it would have 50% unemployment, destabilised security and the highest ratio of disability living benefits, N.I would cripple the south!

• Advertisement

gallag wrote: »
    Why would belfast not need it? Overnight it would have 50% unemployment, destabilised security and the highest ratio of disability living benefits, N.I would cripple the south!
    Because apparently in a UI all of the Norths many economic problems will be solved.

That is my point, it is not thriving under British rule. The least they could do is to keep it in working order!

Because apparently in a UI all of the Norths many economic problems will be solved.

Indeed, they probably will only be solved in a UI, given the dysfunctional nature of the UK. Question is, how do we get from here to there?

Indeed, they probably will only be solved in a UI, given the dysfunctional nature of the UK. Question is, how do we get from here to there?
    Don't know, don't care. NI is not my priority, Ireland is. If unifying Ireland means economic or political destabilisation for the South then that's just something I won't support.

Don't know, don't care. NI is not my priority, Ireland is. If unifying Ireland means economic or political destabilisation for the South then that's just something I won't support.

So its a case of I'm alright Jack, my part of Ireland is OK, screw the rest of you, looking after no 1. A common enough attitude in 21st century Ireland, perhaps you should make a tape!

Higher values are needed for the sake of all parts of the country.

So its a case of I'm alright Jack, my part of Ireland is OK, screw the rest of you, looking after no 1. A common enough attitude in 21st century Ireland, you should make a tape.
    Pretty much. NI has nothing to offer us. We need neither their land, labour or capital. The only thing NI can offer us is a headache.That's why I don't support Unification. I prefer stabilisation.

Pretty much. NI has nothing to offer us. We need neither their land, labour or capital.

the same could be said for Tallaght, or Roscommon.

the same could be said for Tallaght, or Roscommon.
    It could but we aren't talking about taking on Roscommon. Neither does Roscommon have the potential to cause political instability.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

The idea that a border poll which in any case has to be agreed upon by the British Viceroy in Ireland will re-establish the Republic suppressed in the early 1920s is laughable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

gallag wrote: »

Remaining within the UK has crippled north east Ulster.

The "south" has no moral right to abandon not only an integral part of the Irish nation but the area where the dream of the Irish Republic were bred and born.

The Irish nation is not simply a head count of those entitled to vote but the long generations past who forged her spirit and where forged by it as well as the generations of Irish women and men yet to be born. You have no moral right based on selfish, what could easily be called grubby, motives to deny and fight against the assertion of control over this nation's destiny by herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

well said lad

Remaining within the UK has crippled north east Ulster.

The "south" has no moral right to abandon not only an integral part of the Irish nation but the area where the dream of the Irish Republic were bred and born.

The Irish nation is not simply a head count of those entitled to vote but the long generations past who forged her spirit and where forged by it as well as the generations of Irish women and men yet to be born. You have no moral right based on selfish, what could easily be called grubby, motives to deny and fight against the assertion of control over this nation's destiny by herself.

Advertisement