Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bishops have informed us that we're Pagan/ Ale, Irishness, Biscuits, Cake etc.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Pardon?
    Donncha+O+Callaghan+tx0aApAuP-xm.jpg

'Tis a well known fact, which we exploit in the GAA quite a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

+1
    As proud culchies our greatest pleasure was sowing it into the townies, especially with the caman. Its no wonder so many of the windy ones have retreated to the garrison game:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Buncha culchies

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

bluewolf wrote: »
    Buncha culchies

Oh shut it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sarky wrote: »
    I take perverse pleasure in having spawned in the depths of Ballinasloe but sounding far more cultured than anyone who makes fun of culchies :pac:

I moved out of Dublin about 8 years back and I take the same pleasure from pretending to be about 90% more ignorant of "the rest of Ireland" than I actually am...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

The GAA???

Oh, yes. That's when all those people turn up in tractors smelling organic who have little or no knowledge of the parking laws and cause havoc in Cork's leafy southside. We leave those people to the Gardaí. *sniff*

Thankfully Cork Con is too far away from their stadium so the rugger doesn't get disrupted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Meh.. its a well known fact that nobody in Dublin is more than two generations away from poking a pig with a stick.

recedite wrote: »
    Meh.. its a well known fact that nobody in Dublin is more than two generations away from poking a pig with a stick.

Thank goodness I'm not in Dublin :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I know quite a few pagans and they are very probably the least materialistic people I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

http://humanisticpaganism.com/2013/06/23/am-i-a-secular-pagan-by-heather-van-de-sande/
    Secular Pagans are Humanists with flare

The reason the big religions all do things like gather regularly, sing, make things, have holidays and rituals, is because it satisfies a need we have as human beings. I’m sure that whatever that need is, it has a non-supernatural explanation. But I don’t think we have to feel that just because we’re atheists that we shouldn’t do anything that’s *like* religion. As more people leave Big Religion behind, there are going to be more secular communities with “religious” aspects.

Whether it’s the Unitarian Universalists, the North Texas Church of Freethought, or The Sunday Assembly, we want to meet, we want to sing, and we want our rituals and ceremonies.

Just beware; I might be doing it skyclad.

• Advertisement

The GAA???

Oh, yes. That's when all those people turn up in tractors smelling organic who have little or no knowledge of the parking laws and cause havoc in Cork's leafy southside. We leave those people to the Gardaí. *sniff*

I am beginning to see a disturbing pattern here Bannasidhe.
    You don't like the "Irish" version of history and now you don't like our beloved GAA. Is there a D4 equivalent in Cork? The ones who recoil in horror when the stick fighting accidently gets turned on the TV:(

Doesn't sound very inclusive;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Yes it's called Montenotte :D

nagirrac wrote: »
    I am beginning to see a disturbing pattern here Bannasidhe.
    You don't like the "Irish" version of history and now you don't like our beloved GAA. Is there a D4 equivalent in Cork? The ones who recoil in horror when the stick fighting accidently gets turned on the TV:(

Doesn't sound very inclusive;)

Who said I don't like the Irish history? Leaping to conclusions there again. Especially as I seriously doubt you have ever read my work - a lot of it is in Irish - can you read Early Modern Irish?

I love Irish history, I have made it my life's work- but have little time for 'versions' so I don't 'like' the Catholic/Nationalist bunkum that passes for 'Irish' history for the simple fact that it is not supported by the evidence.
    Nor am I alone in this view among Irish historians.

I consider it to be jingoistic sectarian propaganda in the main. I am not a fan of propaganda masquerading as history no matter what the source.

No, I am not a particular fan of either hurling or 'Gaelic' football. So what?
    I don't recall liking them being compulsory. My father's family were such supporters of the GAA they founded an extremely successful club to which I have honoury life membership- mind you, they were also all pro-treaty FG'er and I'm not one of them either. . Why, just a few weeks ago we buried my uncle in a grave bought for the family by the GAA - complete with logo emblazoned headstone erected in the 1920s.

Tread carefully when setting yourself up as the arbitrator of what is and is not Irish. What I find disturbing is when people think they have the right to decide who is and who is not 'proper' Irish.

Morag wrote: »
    Yes it's called Montenotte :D

I used to live there. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Tread carefully when setting yourself up as the arbitrator of what is and is not Irish. What I find disturbing is when people think they have the right to decide who is and who is not 'proper' Irish.

My recent experiences suggest that most of the people who do this very rarely actually live in the Republic. Odd, that.

Sarky wrote: »
    My recent experiences suggest that most of the people who do this very rarely actually live in the Republic. Odd, that.

Yeah. My brother is like that.

Lived in Switzerland since 1979 but has a house in Kinsale he visits on occasion and believes he learned all needs to know about Irish history when doing his leaving cert in 1977. He too is a self appointed arbitrator of what is and is not 'proper' Irish despite the fact that he, and his Irish passport holding children, are distinctly Swiss in most regards.

I used to live there. :D

Then it all makes sense:D

Just teasing bann on the cultural Irish thing, of course you are as Irish as anyone else, anyone born in or for that matter choosing and embracing Ireland as their home is Irish. Lee Chin is as Irish as anyone, and he plays hurling and football for Wexford.

nagirrac wrote: »
    Then it all makes sense:D

Just teasing bann on the cultural Irish thing, of course you are as Irish as anyone else, anyone born in or for that matter choosing and embracing Ireland as their home is Irish. Lee Chin is as Irish as anyone, and he plays hurling and football for Wexford.

Ah - but I am not from there.

Gee - thanks for validating my nationality but really, there was no need. I am perfectly secure about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Take your magic elsewhere, holy man!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Who said I don't like the Irish history? Leaping to conclusions there again. Especially as I seriously doubt you have ever read my work - a lot of it is in Irish - can you read Early Modern Irish?

I love Irish history, I have made it my life's work- but have little time for 'versions' so I don't 'like' the Catholic/Nationalist bunkum that passes for 'Irish' history for the simple fact that it is not supported by the evidence.
    Nor am I alone in this view among Irish historians.

I consider it to be jingoistic sectarian propaganda in the main. I am not a fan of propaganda masquerading as history no matter what the source.

No, I am not a particular fan of either hurling or 'Gaelic' football. So what?
    I don't recall liking them being compulsory. My father's family were such supporters of the GAA they founded an extremely successful club to which I have honoury life membership- mind you, they were also all pro-treaty FG'er and I'm not one of them either. . Why, just a few weeks ago we buried my uncle in a grave bought for the family by the GAA - complete with logo emblazoned headstone erected in the 1920s.

Having been on the receiving end of this for most of my life, it pisses me off no end.

• Advertisement

Thankfully Cork Con is too far away from their stadium so the rugger doesn't get disrupted.

We play rugby up our way*, it's nice sometimes to do a little light exercise between matches.

*Nearest club is either Clanwilliam or Bruff depending on what side of the parish one lives in.

P.S. What ye play in Cork, taint rugby, tis something all right but not rugby. Current theory is it's a simple variant of noughts and crosses.

We play rugby up our way*, it's nice sometimes to do a little light exercise between matches.

*Nearest club is either Clanwilliam or Bruff depending on what side of the parish one lives in.

P.S. What ye play in Cork, taint rugby, tis something all right but not rugby. Current theory is it's a simple variant of noughts and crosses.

Hee'rah goweight outta da boi an plaaay witch your sssmmmmaaaalll baaallll like an stop actin de langer.

:p

Hee'rah goweight outta da boi an plaaay witch your sssmmmmaaaalll baaallll like an stop actin de langer.

:p

Can't hurl. In ten years of trying as a young fella, I only hit the sliothar three times, each one with my boot.

Can't hurl. In ten years of trying as a young fella, I only hit the sliothar three times, each one with my boot.

I prefer the oval ball. Rarely kicked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭smokingman

I was awesome at hurling when I was a kid; best full back in Westmeath I was....just sayin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

legspin wrote: »
    Having been on the receiving end of this for most of my life, it pisses me off no end.

Tell me about it. There's a small number of people on here that do it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

old hippy wrote: »
    Tell me about it. There's a small number of people on here that do it as well.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

legspin wrote: »
    You're Irish?!?

:confused:

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

I never understood how the Catholic religion says its montheistic. Yet their main guy is three people.

Then there is Mary who people pray to.

Then there are all the saint and angels that get their own prayers and who are patron saints of things, they all get prayed to and even have their own days.

Always sounded a whole lot pagan to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

endacl wrote: »
    You're Irish?!?

:confused:

:D

Some question whether I'm human...

Advertisement