Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bishops have informed us that we're Pagan/ Ale, Irishness, Biscuits, Cake etc.

Options
  • 24-06-2013 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭

According to frontpage of tomorrow's Examiner, we're all a bunch of Pagans according to the bishops and the priesthood will die out. They really don't have any respect for other religions..... :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/irish-have-become-pagan-some-catholic-bishops-believe-1.1440835

Yep, peddles the ridiculous idea common in this country that irreligion = paganism :rolleyes:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Robin/ Jernal, you're going to need a name change for the forum, not believing in God apparently makes you a pagan.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/bishops-ireland-is-now-a-nation-of-pagans-234925.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

The Irish people “have, to all intents and purposes, become pagan”

Bishops have gotten together to solve the current crisis within the RCC and found that the real problem is with people rather than priests or policy. It was reported originally in the irish times

If i were to pick out a sentence which demonstrates just how far from reality catholic bishops exist... i'd go with this
    “there seems to be a substantial number of bishops, and some priests, who believe that the problems we are facing are not due to any difficulties in the Church or with the priesthood, but are caused by a lack of faith in the people."

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭kennryyr

Ah, of course. Nothing wrong with the church. At all lads.

It's us. We are the bad people. Too into materialistic things. Allowing the sin to get in...

(PS I don't worship Thor now though, I worship Hel. Looks like I will be going to Hel after all)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Is this their way of flying the white flag?

NO PRISONERS!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Had just read that myself - I was only delighted to see what a mess they're in and how at odds with each other as to how to solve the problems. I love that the Bishops are totally blaming loss of the faithful on consumerism and the fact that people don't care, and they reckon evangelism is the way to go?

Fab. Can't wait for more shouty priests, frothing at the mouth in the delirious ecstasy of their conviction. I'd find that far more convincing than the grey aul droners we have shuffling to and fro in mass at the moment, moving like sloths on a bad day. They creep me out much more than the more "PRAISE the LORD!!!" variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

As the religious like to say, "there are none so blind as those who do not wish to see". You have to wonder though what is going on that they actually come out with these statements, how much further into the sand can their collective heads be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I wish they'd stop feeling like they can put everyone into boxes. I'm not pagan and have no wish to be. Just because people don't identify as a religion or trot off to mass every week doesn't mean we're a homogenous blob of lapsed Catholics. What gives them to right to label the population?

Also some people just don't 'believe' full stop - I'm one of them. I don't need to replace the Catholic stuff I grew up with with another 'belief' system. Its like its easier to say you believe in anything at all, no matter how daft, than nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Expect to see a lot more of this as the Church slides into obscurity in Ireland.

These guys have never, ever lived without an overbearing religious dimension to their lives. I'm pretty sure they have no concept of what a life can be like without religion.

I think Carl Sagan can explain this best. They exist in 2 dimensions and have no capacity to understand a 3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Why don't ye go off to your trust funds and pope and tax exemptions before you start rabbiting on about materialism!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭AlanG

Listening to the guy form the Association of Catholic Priests (ACP) on Radio 1 this morning he was basically of the view that the Bishops are wrong in seeing this as the cause of the churches problems. He know a report like this would be used to criticise the church but the Association of Catholic Priests seem to be an organisation trying to challenge the hierarchy and keep the church in Ireland more in touch with its grass roots.

I would say they would have a lot of common ground with many posters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Materialism :confused:

Pope-Gold-Pearls.jpg

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Viper_JB wrote: »
    Materialism :confused:

Pope-Gold-Pearls.jpg

:rolleyes:

It's a bit like the pigs in Animal Farm.

smcgiff wrote: »
    It's a bit exactly like the pigs in Animal Farm.

FYP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Its funny that the newspaper had to look to England to find a photo of "Pagans".
    BTW I googled the "New Missal" as the priests seemed to be complaining about it, as if it was putting people off their religion;
    The new translation of the Missal, which has been in use since Nov. 27, 2011, is more faithful to the Latin original than was the translation in use since the 1970s. In accord with a 2001 document on the implementation of Vatican II, the new translation is meant to be closer not only to the sense of the original Latin, but its structure as well, and is less informal than the 1970s translation
    http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/Missal/#sthash.wijEX6Gf.dpuf

So it seems the priests in this association are protesting at the strictures being imposed by Rome. I think these are the same guys that are talking about allowing married priests.
    The question is not whether the rest of us are pagans, but whether these guys are protestants.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

we should be very proud of our pagan past.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

recedite wrote: »
    The question is not whether the rest of us are pagans, but whether these guys are protestants.
    Popette -- who's currently considering becoming a schismatic -- reckons they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

robindch wrote: »
    becoming a schismatic
    Maybe that's what they mean by evangelisation. Form the Irish Catholic Church, instead of the Roman Catholic one. I doubt it would work though.
    The marketplace for up and coming religions is already crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

As soon as the church gave up the latin Mass, the writing was already on the wall.

Religion is much easier to believe in when you don't actually know what the doctrines of the faith are.

The more access we have to the source materials for this dogma, the more bleeding obvious it is that it's all made up

The church has no hope of surviving in a modern educated world. This is why the evangelical religions are targetting the uneducated poor and less developed countries, and deliberately targetting the education systems to retain control of what information young people have access to in their formative years.

Even this strategy is ultimately doomed to failure, they can't turn back the tides of progress. Information will flow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Let's never forget the wonderful people who sealed the Church's doom by seeking to understand the universe, their tireless efforts will forever... What? They were mostly monks and priests trying to prove God? Oh. Awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Just a thought I had this morning, it strikes me as blasphemous that they seem to have no understanding of what paganism is and portray the entire country as such. Blasphemy law time? :D

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Just a thought I had this morning, it strikes me as blasphemous that they seem to have no understanding of what paganism is and portray the entire country as such. Blasphemy law time? :D

Everyone knows its only blasphemy when you're slagging Jesus. And maybe Mohammad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Quite insulting to pagans, I'd say. I did flirt with paganism and wicca many years back but it wasn't for me. It was just another set of irrational beliefs. Having said that, they were sound folks and not into being preachy or telling others how to behave/believe.

The way I hear it*, those pagan gods were able to look after themselves. Slag the Morrigan? She'd come to your house and kick your door in.

*Note: Most likely not even close to the truth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Sarky wrote: »
    Let's never forget the wonderful people who sealed the Church's doom by seeking to understand the universe, their tireless efforts will forever... What? They were mostly monks and priests trying to prove God? Oh. Awkward.

I wonder how many of them were secretly pagan? Remember that in those days the church controlled all aspects of education, from learning the three Rs all the way up to going to uni. And when in Rome...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Akrasia wrote: »
    As soon as the church gave up the latin Mass, the writing was already on the wall.

Religion is much easier to believe in when you don't actually know what the doctrines of the faith are.

Conversation with my dear departed Mass everyday grandmother on Vatican II

Nan: ' I don't think they went far enough myself. Apart from getting rid of the Latin Mass. I hate that.'
    Me: 'Really? Why?'
    Nan : 'Because now that I understand what they are saying I feel I have to join in. It would be rude not too. Before I used to just talk to my God while they got on with it up on the alter.'
    Me: 'But Nan... Catholics arn't meant to talk directly to God.'
    Nan: ':eek:'
    Me: ' No. Really. Honest. You can look it up if you like. Catholics are meant to talk to God through an anointed intercessor only'.
    Nan: 'An anointed what now?'
    Me: 'A priest.'
    Nan : ':mad:'
    Me: 'Protestants are allowed to talk directly to God :p. It was one of the main reasons Luther broke away from Rome. '

She then announced that as her father was a convert to COI she obviously 'got it from him' and went on to say some very unflattering things about 'people who got a bit of oil dabbed on their foreheads.'

I questioned her a bit more about her beliefs and came to the conclusion she was really an Episcopalian or High Church Anglican but she was from that generation (she was born in 1912 and remembered the Burning of Cork vividly) who very much saw Irish nationalism and Roman Catholicism as being part and parcel of the same thing.

That is a big problem with ireland, The Catholic Religion and Nationalism are very intertwined. People feel that an attack on one is an attack on the other.
    More so in the North of course.

I was called partitionist for not giving a crap about Northern Ireland recently. People up there can be weird.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Sarky wrote: »
    I was called partitionist for not giving a crap about Northern Ireland recently. People up there can be weird.

You can imagine what I got called for suggesting that when all things are considered perhaps leaving the Union was not in the best interests of Irish women.

Advertisement