Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bishops have informed us that we're Pagan/ Ale, Irishness, Biscuits, Cake etc.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

People feel that an attack on one is an attack on the other.
    Reminds me of that line in Angela's Ashes, something like:
    And the teachers told me that I should be ready to die for Ireland. And the priests told me I should be ready to die for the Church. And I wondered if anybody wanted me alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

I don't think the RC Bishops know what the word means, also there are plenty of pagan priests and priestesses. Ok Grant you I have met pagan atheists but there are not many of them. I do know that several pagans have written letters of complaint about being so besmirched by the piece, it will be interesting to see if any of them get published by the Irish Examiner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Sarky wrote: »
    I was called partitionist for not giving a crap about Northern Ireland recently. People up there can be weird.

I got a similar response. Not that I didn't care, rather than I regarded it as a separate entity - not part of either the UK or Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Morag wrote: »
    I don't think the RC Bishops know what the word means

Pretty much what I think every time I read an article that involves the RC church saying something, last time it was the tax evasion thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

No priests and everyone pagan?? sounds fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

evil-pope-praying-for-the-poor-from-golden-throne-meme.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

It's common for people very close to death to blurt out random nonsensical sentences. It's probably the same for a church.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I think Carl Sagan can explain this best. They exist in 2 dimensions and have no capacity to understand a 3

You have a point. This is still one dimension more than the average thread in this forum though, or many other forums on Boards.ie.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

ardmacha wrote: »
    You have a point. This is still one dimension more than the average thread in this forum though, or many other forums on Boards.ie.
    Any forum, and any thread, is nothing more than the sum of the contributions that posters, including you, make.

If you feel your posts here are lacking that vital first, second or even third dimension, well, post away and we'll see what you can do. Marks will be awarded for for effort, originality, dimensionality and anything else that anybody can think of.

Take it away, ardmacha!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

robindch wrote: »
    Marks will be awarded for for effort, originality, dimensionality nerdy pop-culture references, song lyrics segued into posts and delicious baked goods

Now THAT sounds like the A&A I know and love!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I think Carl Sagan can explain this best. They exist in 2 dimensions and have no capacity to understand a 3

Sagan >> Pagan. :pac:

In fairness I think the pagan type religions were (provided you weren't a nubile young virgin being readied for sacrifice) pretty sound. A lot better than the Abrahamic ones anyway.

There is a (regrettably, short) thread in the Paganism forum entitled We've done it!!!! ;)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 eipi

This reminds me of the time when I was younger (~12 years old) when I told my father that I don't believe in god and he thought I was a pagan.:confused:
    I think the term pagan i.e an adherent to polytheism, was used as a derogatory term by the church, comparable to the term heretic.So perhaps the government can put its blasphemy law into use.
    It seems that now the Irish bishops have now redefined the term paganism to the acceptance of "materialism and consumerism".

main-qimg-787a39f409cab772b30139855dffd922

“there seems to be a substantial number of bishops, and some priests, who believe that the problems we are facing are not due to any difficulties in the Church or with the priesthood, but are caused by a lack of faith in the people."

Yes, great overlords of morality and righteousness, it is just abhorrent that a proportion of the population are thinking critically and not living to the dogmas of the catholic church. Oh and don't worry about your systematic raping of children, just water under the bridge. :rolleyes:

Now that see the light, I realise that I am in fact a "consumerist pagan" I feel that it is my duty to begin my worship of all apple products, don't worry I'm not one of those filthy heathens that worships microsoft or even worse, those peasant linux users.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

When the bishops come out with this stuff they mustn't realise that they sound like something out of a Father Ted episode. This kind of language might have been effective back in the 1950's but we've moved way beyond that. The more they come out with these statements the more the church is shown up as irrelevant. The church won't be destroyed by outside forces, it will bring itself down.

ninja900 wrote: »
    Sagan >> Pagan. :pac:

In fairness I think the pagan type religions were (provided you weren't a nubile young virgin being readied for sacrifice) pretty sound. A lot better than the Abrahamic ones anyway.

There is a (regrettably, short) thread in the Paganism forum entitled We've done it!!!! ;)

Most of the reactions I have seen are on private places on face book but there are a few of us who have written to the Irish examiner to lodge objections.

https://www.facebook.com/WitchesAttic

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Of course, the really funny thing is, if I was to think of the people over the years who openly identified their religion, I would find that the pagans I know are by and large way nicer people than virtually any other religion.

I've certainly never met one that's tried to barge in on the education of my kids or bend laws so others have to live by their rules.

So... if we're closer to a nation of pagans than Catholics... that's bad how?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

lazygal wrote: »
    I wish they'd stop feeling like they can put everyone into boxes. I'm not pagan and have no wish to be. Just because people don't identify as a religion or trot off to mass every week doesn't mean we're a homogenous blob of lapsed Catholics. What gives them to right to label the population?

Also some people just don't 'believe' full stop - I'm one of them. I don't need to replace the Catholic stuff I grew up with with another 'belief' system. Its like its easier to say you believe in anything at all, no matter how daft, than nothing.

This would be a fantastic name for a new church

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I'd love Thaedyal's (sp?) opinion on this. Church just like insulting minority groups it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

is "pagan" another way of saying "less gullible"?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Hang on a tick... *googles etymology of 'pagan'*....

Did that bastard just call me a Culchie???

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

kylith wrote: »

You say that as if being a culchie is bad. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

He did.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Jernal wrote: »

There's definitely more culchies in Ireland than Catholics. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It is when you're a townie! I'm not a pagan, I'm a villain, dagnabbit!
    Bannasidhe wrote: »
    He did.

:D

That.... bastard!

It is when you're a townie! I'm not a pagan, I'm a villain, dagnabbit!

That.... bastard!

Oh your a townie, that just makes you a Neo Pagan then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I take perverse pleasure in having spawned in the depths of Ballinasloe but sounding far more cultured than anyone who makes fun of culchies :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

We're not pagans - we're Paganism+ :pac:

Dades wrote: »

Do we get coffee with that? A biscotti too perhaps...

Dades wrote: »

/facepalm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Feckin' townie. Ah well, we'll see what he/she/it is made of in the next match, feckin' townies are well renowned for falling over every time a stiff breeze rises.

• Advertisement

Feckin' townie. Ah well, we'll see what he/she/it is made of in the next match, feckin' townies are well renowned for falling over every time a stiff breeze rises.

Pardon?
    Donncha+O+Callaghan+tx0aApAuP-xm.jpg

Advertisement