Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need feminism because...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

pharmaton wrote: »
    I believe in equality for all and feminism does not conflict with egalitarian principles but concerns itself with female issues of equality specifically. Therein lies the difference.

How can you have only a female issue of equality. By definition equality issues affect both genders. Are you saying that where women are more equal then that isnt an issue that needs addressing by feminism? Does feminism only address issues of equality where women are disadvantaged? So what happens then if feminism achieves all of its aims and every area where women are perceived to be disadvantaged, they are no longer. Will we have an equal society then? Will feminism have achieved what it set out to do? Well if that's correct then we categorically say that feminism is not about equality because that would certainly not be an gender equal society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

That's fair enough. The only problem with this, I believe, is then that both genders would require representation in the interests of overall equality and this regrettably leads to an adversarial system.
    I don't see why it should, no one has greater insight into mens issues then men and no one better to represent them than those who have personal experience of it. The two are not opposing each other.

ah I see.

not sure I understand?

Playboy wrote: »
    How can you have only a female issue of equality. By definition equality issues affect both genders. Are you saying that where women are more equal then that isnt an issue that needs addressing by feminism, Does feminism only address issues of equality where women are disadvantaged? So what happens then if feminism achieves all of its aims and every area where women are perceived to be disadvantaged, they are no longer. Will we have an equal society then? Will feminism have achieved what it set out to do? Well if that's correct then we categorically say that feminism is not about equality because that would certainly not be an gender equal society.
    I didn't say that there were only female issues of equality. I said that feminism concerns itself with female issues of equality.

if it means something different to you then feel free to discuss it

What's the point? None of us can agree on what it is anyway.

• Advertisement

not sure I understand?

do you believe that feminism impinges on male rights or privilege?

I didn't say that there were only female issues of equality. I said that feminism concerns itself with female issues of equality.

not sure that makes any difference to my post.

not sure that makes any difference to my post.

well then.

do you believe that feminism impinges on male rights or privilege?

I don't know. Certainly some people who call themselves feminists would like to and try but then lots of other people who call themselves feminists disagree with them. I'm just confused :confused:

well then.

I dont think you understand... "feminism only concerns itself with female issues of equality"... I said how can you only have a female issue of equality?

• Advertisement

I dont think you understand... feminism only concerns itself with female issues of equality... I said how can you only have a female issue of equality?

can you not understand that?

can you not understand that?

I explained myself in the post.. this is getting tiresome. Is this how you normally have a discussion?

I explained myself in the post.. this is getting tiresome. Is this how you normally have a discussion?
    I...

Issues that concern women? I'm doing my best to make it clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

Well maybe you're not a feminist. You can't all be feminists and have such, frankly, incompatible views.

I don't have time for a full reply atm - but you keep missing what I'm trying to explain -

I'm a feminist based on my understanding of feminism. Up until my mid teens I ignored the entire issue (because feminism translated as I hate men/agenda of some sort).

There are a lot of people who call themselves feminists with different views/opinions. It's not a club with a specific list of requirements an opinions.

I can disagree with someone who calls her/himself a feminist and argue that they're not really a feminist. They will still think they are based no their own interpretation and opinions. Doesn't make me less of a feminist because as far as I'm concerned - I'll still be a feminist based on my understanding of feminism. It's not like I get to revoke membership...

I think it's more of an age issue regarding differing opinions - just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

I don't see why it should, no one has greater insight into mens issues then men and no one better to represent them than those who have personal experience of it. The two are not opposing each other.

The problem is is that that segregates "men's issues" from "women's issues", where often they coincide.

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    The problem is is that that segregates "men's issues" from "women's issues", where often they coincide.
    which ones, genuine question, might help to resolve some issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I'm afraid often they are. Or would you have no problem with, for example, quotas in child custody, presuming you agree with the quota approach in general?

Or anonymity for men accused or rape? Or that paternity fraud and false rape accusations should be criminal offences that carry stiff custodial sentences?

I'm afraid often they are. Or would you have no problem with, for example, quotas in child custody, presuming you agree with the quota approach in general?

Or anonymity for men accused or rape? Or that paternity fraud and false rape accusations should be criminal offences that carry stiff custodial sentences?
    Where are feminists pushing these agendas?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

And yet again a thread on this subject has been hijacked by whataboutery. It stops now. No further discussion about this. If you want to start a thread about male equality and feminism, do so in the Gentleman's Club or Humanities. Any more of this and I'm handing out bans, simple as that. Back on topic. Thank you.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

I need feminism because it is still so difficult to speak from a woman's perspective.
    I need feminism because I would feel almost crazy and alone if I didnt have some other womens voices against the backdrop of antagonism I so often feel when the issue of womens rights comes up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

I and my daughter need feminism cos at the age of 12 she is worried her breasts will grow to be too big and that no one will take her seriously as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I need feminism to stop worrying about the height of my heels and my bra size. I need it to fight for proper child care and paternity leave so it will be easier for women to have some sort of career and social security in retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Morag wrote: »
    I and my daughter need feminism cos at the age of 12 she is worried her breasts will grow to be too big and that no one will take her seriously as a result.

Honestly, where is she getting these ideas? I never had thoughts like that at 12, or to be honest at any stage of my life. I wouldn't normally comment on these feminist threads, but this caught my attention.

I am a 30 year old woman with big breasts. I work in a male dominated industry. I never seem to experience sexism. I never thought about how my gender would play a role in my life. I had an interest, I decided to follow it up and study it. Nobody has ever suggested that my intelligence is less than my male colleagues, or that because I have breasts that I should be taken less seriously than the men who work with me.

I really think that feminism might not be the solution to the problem, at 12, she has clearly been influenced by somebody and feels that this is a problem. I think that you need to look at the influences in her life and start cutting out the rot. If I went home to my mother and stated that as a worry, I would be told pretty fast that it was stupid and why it was stupid. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

I need feminism so that ridiculous ideas like "gender quotas" are seen as ridiculous ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

I've seen time and time again attractive women not being taken seriously in the workplace because they are attractive, have big boobs etc. I heard the other day that this particular beautiful woman is in demand in different units because of what she looks like, never mind the fact that she is also good at what she does.

I've been leered at because I've bigger than average boobs, and it's much more than a discreet side glance, almost like it's ok because of my body shape.

I know another poster mentioned that she didn't come across it but I've seen it so many times.

I'm curious Morag, how does your daughter realise this? Is it something that she's heard from her peers? It is so sad that she is worrying about this already tho, God love her, kids are really losing their innocence so young.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I was the first one to get breasts in my class. It's not comfortable to stand out in any way. Boys had similar issues with facial hair. This is not what about men point, I'm trying to say that issues with changing body are often developmental.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Tigger99 wrote: »
    I've seen time and time again attractive women not being taken seriously in the workplace because they are attractive, have big boobs etc. I heard the other day that this particular beautiful woman is in demand in different units because of what she looks like, never mind the fact that she is also good at what she does.

I've been leered at because I've bigger than average boobs, and it's much more than a discreet side glance, almost like it's ok because of my body shape.

I know another poster mentioned that she didn't come across it but I've seen it so many times.

I'm curious Morag, how does your daughter realise this? Is it something that she's heard from her peers? It is so sad that she is worrying about this already tho, God love her, kids are really losing their innocence so young.

It is from her peers she's 12 going on 13 and on the lower end of the age bell curve having just finished secondary school. The idea of what a bimbo and how girls who get bigger boobs get teased and derided is an issue which has come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭MaxWig

It is from her peers she's 12 going on 13 and on the lower end of the age bell curve having just finished secondary school. The idea of what a bimbo and how girls who get bigger boobs get teased and derided is an issue which has come up.

Was bullied myself as a young teenager, so I really appreciate your daughter's fears.

Not sure how feminism can help with this one though.

If it isn't boobs, it will be some kid's nose, or teeth, or clothes.

I guess feminism has, and continues to help in terms of inclusivity, but I fear that 'being different' will remain a human challenge for ever

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

MaxWig wrote: »
    Was bullied myself as a young teenager, so I really appreciate your daughter's fears.

Not sure how feminism can help with this one though.

If it isn't boobs, it will be some kid's nose, or teeth, or clothes.

I guess feminism has, and continues to help in terms of inclusivity, but I fear that 'being different' will remain a human challenge for ever

Not quite the same. Have you found that whatever you were bullied about is still used to not take you seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭MaxWig

Tigger99 wrote: »
    Not quite the same. Have you found that whatever you were bullied about is still used to not take you seriously?

Without going into it, I would say that it doesn't, but only because it is not visible.

I would contend that I don't believe big boobs result in not being taken seriously. At least not as the general rule.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement