Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need feminism because...

Options
1404142434446»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

:rolleyes: Bit of a weird/defensive/dismissive response, to me pointing out a fairly simple problem with that term.

If a term is borderline sexist, it's pretty fair to point that out - and I don't disagree with anything the poster said, and I made sure to be polite about it, and clear I did not think they were being sexist; so yea, don't see what problem people have with this, which warrants petty condescension.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I had to Google mansplainng. I obviously move in wrong circles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Uh-huh - so if this is ironic (meaning: I am redundantly explaining the problem with that term, to people who are already aware of how it can be considered sexist), that means people would be knowingly using the term, knowing that it can be considered sexist...

See how the term suddenly just becomes a way of lazily dismissing people, even when they bring up a valid point? (and, dismissing them based on their gender...)

Actually illustrates part of the problem with the term, quite well.

Actually how does using terms like Mansplaining fit into the whole recent push to encourage men to self-identify as Feminists? To espouse an idea of a society with equal respect for genders while at the same time using gendered terms like Mansplaining to dismiss others statements is utterly counter productive. At least "check your privilege" is a non-gendered term.

Note: I've reported my own post so it will be removed if mods think if its off-topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

I think in most cases use of the term is pretty innocent - having a concise term for that kind of awkward-to-describe thing, is actually pretty useful, so I can see why it's popular - it's just a pity it's not gender-neutral; 'splaining is a gender-neutral version, but maybe sounds a bit odd.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Why don't you come up with a better term so to describe a situation where women are discussing an issue that affects women, then a man comes in and basically runs the thread into the ground with posts that are in the vein of "I am right because I am man, here's why all you women are wrong on an issue that will never directly affect me", and then as the thread goes on starts to demonstrate quite controlling behaviour ("If she chose to run during pregnancy, I would ask her to choose a different activity, and would remind her that I would reconsider the future of the relationship if she did not agree") and uses some quite creepy language ("Your body is not your own")?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Why don't you come up with a better term so to describe a situation where women are discussing an issue that affects women, then a man comes in and basically runs the thread into the ground with posts that are in the vein of "I am right because I am man, here's why all you women are wrong on an issue that will never directly affect me", and then as the thread goes on starts to demonstrate quite controlling behaviour ("If she chose to run during pregnancy, I would ask her to choose a different activity, and would remind her that I would reconsider the future of the relationship if she did not agree") and uses some quite creepy language ("Your body is not your own")?

"being a ar$e" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Kav0777 wrote: »
    "being a d#ck" ?

Omg much gendered insult, such misandry :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Links234 wrote: »
    Omg much gendered insult, such misandry :pac:

full of self loathing :D

(As soon as I hit post, i thought that maybe it was the most suitable word... D'Oh!)

Kav0777 wrote: »
    full of self loathing :D
    Care to elaborate on that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Links234 wrote: »
    Care to elaborate on that?

Talking about himself.

I can't help but feel that this policing of words and language is a just a way of controlling the conversation.

So, someone makes a point.

Commenter ignores point (or pays lipservice to it).

Commenter changes debate to be about the word used.

I have to say, it seems to be a successful strategy, from what I've been seeing on boards and elsewhere. I won't be engaging with people who do it anymore.

Thread closed for mod review.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement