Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

microsoft surface rt - student

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Guys I am also in CIT and got the email and was very interested in this offer initially when launched but starting to feel hesitant I really feel like Microsoft made a mistake having the RT operating system in the first place, it further fractured the Windows OS.

I have a gut feeling that apps and support in the future will be forgotten while they concentrate on full windows 8 tablets.
    And my gut feeling is matched by the companies that are pulling out of making RT devices looks like only Microsoft and Dell are the last left actively making devices with the RT OS.

It seems to me and a lot of the tech blogs agree, that Microsofts next batch of tablets will be Windows 8 or at that stage windows 8.1 mostly with maybe 1 device running RT.

In terms of future functionality its a hard sell on me. Microsoft really need to get the prices of Windows 8 tablets down to competitive levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

So after much pestering through phone calls and emails....UCC are not going to order these. They eventually contacted Microsoft, who told them that they need to be order through the main institution and cannot be done through students union.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

microsoft are idiots the sus will be the only bodies in most colleges who will actually place orders!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Guys I am also in CIT and got the email and was very interested in this offer initially when launched but starting to feel hesitant I really feel like Microsoft made a mistake having the RT operating system in the first place, it further fractured the Windows OS.

I have a gut feeling that apps and support in the future will be forgotten while they concentrate on full windows 8 tablets.
    And my gut feeling is matched by the companies that are pulling out of making RT devices looks like only Microsoft and Dell are the last left actively making devices with the RT OS.

It seems to me and a lot of the tech blogs agree, that Microsofts next batch of tablets will be Windows 8 or at that stage windows 8.1 mostly with maybe 1 device running RT.

In terms of future functionality its a hard sell on me. Microsoft really need to get the prices of Windows 8 tablets down to competitive levels.

Its not like microsoft to give a product a massive push and then just abandon it.

*cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Bambi wrote: »
    Its not like microsoft to give a product a massive push and then just abandon it.

*cough*

With Bay-Trail tablets bieng relased in October the original Surface RT looks for value unless your getting it for €150.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/11/asus-reveals-transformer-book-t100-with-windows-8-1-for-349-we/
    the Transformer Book T100. It's got a 10.1 inch 1366 x 768 IPS display, 31Wh battery, quad-core Bay Trail-T Atom CPU and runs Windows 8.1. There are 32 ($349) and 64GB ($399) storage options augmented by one free year of ASUS's WebStorage service and a micro-SD reader, plus 2GB of RAM to keep things running smoothly. Connectivity includes micro-USB, micro-HDMI, and a single USB 3.0 port in the detachable dock. The T100 arrives in stores on October 18.

T100_edition_10s.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

sarah88 wrote: »
    So after much pestering through phone calls and emails....UCC are not going to order these. They eventually contacted Microsoft, who told them that they need to be order through the main institution and cannot be done through students union.

Surely the SU can order through an Institution? Farcical at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

godtabh wrote: »
    When I emailed DIT SU they said that MS would have reps on campus during freshers week with this offer

My brother in law is going to pats. If DIT falls through I'll ask him about his. Is there a time limit on it?

Did they say what day... Have money itching to be thrown at them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

does anyone know if nui maynooth is doing this?
    I've only seen this, how do I go about it?

beno619 wrote: »
    With Bay-Trail tablets bieng relased in October the original Surface RT looks for value unless your getting it for €150.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/11/asus-reveals-transformer-book-t100-with-windows-8-1-for-349-we/

this will be FULL windows 8.1 and it comes with the keyboard included. 349 dollars - hopefully will be around same number price in euro - 350 or so. way better option than the RT.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

A friend of mine said dont touch it with a barge pole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Doh, wish that T100 had been announced before ordered this. Oh well.. as an internet browsing, media playing tablet with Office it'll be fine for the price.

Also these two links will make it more useful to the more technically minded people looking to get a bit more use out of it:

jailbreak (not for win rt 8.1):
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2092158

recompiled apps (for use with jailbreak):
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2092348

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

CIT have ordered 100 and you needed to pay a €50 deposit when handing in an order form to them.

Just got another email now saying demand is so high they will be ordering 100 more.

Probably more than Microsoft sold in this country in the last few months id say, still not tempted myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

32GB from Microsoft website (€ 329.00 incl. VAT) - OUT OF STOCK!

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/mseea/en_IE/pdp/Surface-RT/productID.278122200

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

zom wrote: »
    32GB from Microsoft website (€ 329.00 incl. VAT) - OUT OF STOCK!

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/mseea/en_IE/pdp/Surface-RT/productID.278122200

They probably want people to pre order the surface 2. After the amount of money MS lost this year because of surface I would imagine they have a few unbought surfaces lying around :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

Any takers for the Pro?

That digitlizer pen used with onenote would be so good at note taking and archiving.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Maybe a development on this or a miss price. All versions with/without a key board are this price on the MS student webstore

4aky.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Maybe a development on this or a miss price. All versions with/without a key board are this price on the MS student webstore

4aky.jpg

Definitely a misprice. Pity I'm not a student. 64GB with a cover for 300 is a bargain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

If you want I can try and order one for you. I'd have to charge a management charge obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Saw this too, I'm a student, very tempting but looks like a incorrect price as the surface rt with touch cover 32gb is the very same price as the 64gb ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

If you want I can try and order one for you. I'd have to charge a management charge obviously!

What kind of validation do you need ? My girlfriend is in college but not sure what details off her I might need. If it doesn't work with her I might take you up on that offer :D

• Advertisement

i just used my student email

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭computer44

Its defo a bargain. When I see the Q going out the door at DCU.

Apps with MS not that good that's the only disadvantage,

But your android or i phone will cover that,

As of Oct 1 2013 PC World/Currys are charging 160 euro more with a
    12 month guarantee.

In Uni's they give a 2 year warranty including accidental.

Surface 2 will be hitting the Xmas market, and again priced very high with
    no additional specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

The 64gb with touch cover with student discount is back to €431 ..
    Did anyone get one when it was at the possible misprint for €296?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    The 64gb with touch cover with student discount is back to €431 ..
    Did anyone get one when it was at the possible misprint for €296?

Missed it FFS. Tried to get it when posted last week. Couldn't get the academic verification yoke to work, so contacted IT here. The usual glacial response from that shower - they finally got back to me yesterday, after the price raised. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭bren2001

computer44 wrote: »
    Its defo a bargain. When I see the Q going out the door at DCU.

Apps with MS not that good that's the only disadvantage,

But your android or i phone will cover that,

As of Oct 1 2013 PC World/Currys are charging 160 euro more with a
    12 month guarantee.

In Uni's they give a 2 year warranty including accidental.

Surface 2 will be hitting the Xmas market, and again priced very high with
    no additional specs.

Are they on sale in DCU?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Notorious93

Anybody here who ordered this through ucc, still waiting on it to come? expected delivery date was mid-October and still nothing..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭ablelocks

our school order was only acknowledged last week (order placed 20th Sept) with an estimated delivery of week of 11th November. Looks like there was high demand resulting in delays in fulfulling the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Notorious93

ablelocks wrote: »
    our school order was only acknowledged last week (order placed 20th Sept) with an estimated delivery of week of 11th November. Looks like there was high demand resulting in delays in fulfulling the order.
    Thanks for the info, I roughly ordered around the same date as yourself and was told originally that they were expected to arrive in the first week of October, then expected delivery changed to mid-October, and i didnt get an email since explaining of how the delivery would be delayed again. A bit of a joke really.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

How did you order though ucc? When I contacted them a few months ago they said they weren't running any promotions with Microsoft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

sarah88 wrote: »
    How did you order though ucc? When I contacted them a few months ago they said they weren't running any promotions with Microsoft.

Yeah that's what I thought! Not surprised with that shower of jobsworths in the computer centre though. Apparently CIT are expecting theirs after November 8th, so I'd imagine UCC would be similar.

Advertisement