Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

microsoft surface rt - student

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Notorious93

sarah88 wrote: »
    How did you order though ucc? When I contacted them a few months ago they said they weren't running any promotions with Microsoft.
    It was exclusive to BIS students only afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 aresnglan

Cit email that the surface would be available 8 November Id say they sold a few hundred as Students staff were not imited to one

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

Received one through UL today, I have to say I'm well impressed with the build quality of the thing. In total I think it worked out as €190 for the 32GB version for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭ablelocks

good to hear you got yours - I'm still waiting. They were supposed to have shipped last week but got no confirmation of that....

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

Yeah, I didn't want to comment in this thread before I actually had it as I applied as a postgraduate to get it, and it said in the offer sent around UL that only staff members can avail of the offer, so I didn't quite know if it would work out. I didn't want to jynx it by talking about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

Found out during the week that I didn't get mine, as was a little too late trying to get my name on order list. Saw the Surface though, it's a smasher for under €200, and it's a 10.6" screen also. Well done all if successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Was in CIT the other day with a staff member who received her one.

Built quality is excellent and seems like a good little device.
    If it ran full windows 8 they wouldn't be able to keep them on the shelves I would say at a reasonable price.

Honestly the device screen was large and great quality, the keyboard was nice. They seemed nice and quick to use. Just RT being the limiter.

If Microsoft had any sense they would use their power to get these devices out there with full windows 8 at reasonable prices and they would claw back the market fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Have heard nothing about this promo in DCU. Sound like a good deal overall. Who here has actually received a tablet. What was the response like on the touch screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Was in CIT the other day with a staff member who received her one.

Built quality is excellent and seems like a good little device.
    If it ran full windows 8 they wouldn't be able to keep them on the shelves I would say at a reasonable price.

Honestly the device screen was large and great quality, the keyboard was nice. They seemed nice and quick to use. Just RT being the limiter.

If Microsoft had any sense they would use their power to get these devices out there with full windows 8 at reasonable prices and they would claw back the market fast.

I am using a Surface RT for the past 6 month and people have to get over RT being a limiter. RT is what makes the device; you get 8 hours battery life easily, its quick and does most of the tasks of a laptop. Since RT is a locked down version of windows you will never get a virus on it as all installed apps have to come through the app store. However you can load up the SD card with all your music and movies (from torrent sites if you wish) and play without issue.

Note now the official surface USB nic works with Windows 8.1 RT so for all those students with poor wifi or just a network port in the dorm that is now sorted, this on top of all the other functionality.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I am using a Surface RT for the past 6 month and people have to get over RT being a limiter. RT is what makes the device; you get 8 hours battery life easily, its quick and does most of the tasks of a laptop. Since RT is a locked down version of windows you will never get a virus on it as all installed apps have to come through the app store. However you can load up the SD card with all your music and movies (from torrent sites if you wish) and play without issue.

This. Rt isn't that big of a limiter in my eyes. Most legacy applications would be a pain to use of a 10 inch touch screen without a mouse. For most uses of that kind of device the RT is fine with the apps it already has. Not to mention that if the three main touch screen operating systems, windows is by far the better especially in this size category with things like multi tasking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

But no VLC player

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

long_b wrote: »
    But no VLC player

True but there are apps that will handle most formats even mkv files. It's just a pity there are no free mkv players though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 glanboy

has anyone had problems with Microsoft surface tablet

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭donalfo

glanboy wrote: »
    has anyone had problems with Microsoft surface tablet

I've had a problem with the rt not waking up, the windows logo vibrates but I need to restart it to get it going. It doesn't always do it but it's a bit frustrating. The tablet has the latest updates, but I still get the issue. Other than that it's a great device.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bazmc35

had issues with the internet timing out and when navigating back pages it would take ages, on goggling it alot of people have had the same issues.
    My laptop or ipad never had any problems only the Surface

• Registered Users Posts: 19 glanboy

the surface tablets is adding new apps to its store dropbox is now available

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

glanboy wrote: »
    the surface tablets is adding new apps to its store dropbox is now available

Was it not already? I'm almost sure that I have it on my rt.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Browning

Have 2 X 32GB RT's in our house and I must say its a great piece of kit. Had 1 over 6 months now and not a moments problem. As a multi purpose device I cannot fault it. Would highly recommend. Don't believe all you hear until you try it out yourself.

Advertisement